Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I sent away my second passport for renewal on the 23 march as it was full, I used my other passport to fly to work after 13 weeks of phone calls etc it finally arrived in Bangkok but the e- mail I received from Uk passport office was sorry to inform you but we cancelled the wrong passport instead of cancelling the one I sent them they cancelled the one in my possession which I need to use to travel to Bkk

What a bunch of useless people

Luckily for me I just took the chance the airport I was flying from did not have a electronic passport check machine so lucky I got on the plane back to Bkk

They so apologised for the delay as my passport was misplaced in someone's else application

Now they are asking me to send another application to get my second passport

Don't think I will bother

Monumental incompetence.

Thinking back, most of the reports of returned passports we have had to date on this thread indicated some kind of problem.

1) Standard size passport returned when Jumbo was requested and paid for.

2) New passport returned but HMPO insisted that it had been cancelled.

3) Passport couriered to home address.

4) Renewal - One case, no passport after 18 weeks delay and may more at 8 weeks plus..

5) Wrong passport cancelled.

6) Incorrect fees deducted in several cases.

7) Dismissive feedback to email and written complaints.

8) Overstays.

9) Wasted journeys to BKK.

10) Need to purchase ETDs.

The list goes go on, and on, add to this the woefully inadequate service plus lack of meaningful progress information from the HMPO Help line, then there's the simply appalling delays.......

When I think about it, we have not had one report yet of satisfactory service from a new system that has been in place for almost 4 months now.

It time to look back at what the OP on this thread wrote (Basset - btw who hasn't even been on line to check on the mess his (presumably) department has overseen since 20 April).

The goal is to ensure that all British nationals living overseas receive a consistent, trusted, secure and efficient service whilst keeping the costs as low as possible.

Really?

I guess a 3rd class citizen should be satisfied if he/she receives a passport as per HMPO published guidance on their website. I'm not and I didn't. But they, being Big Brother just move the goalposts when their backs are against the wall and hope no one will notice.

They should draft in members of the TV(not Thai Visa) Licencing department to help. Now they really do have their finger on the pulse!

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The recently altered UK passport application system is rather messy, particular for Brits living abroad,

The British opposition Labour party is complaining about it and demands for it to be changed,

10. Downing Street, and their Westminster MP's are aware of the messy system but unfortunately have done nothing to change the current problem causing application system.

Nevertheless, due to the current messy passport application problems for Brits both in UK, and abroad the existing application system is bound to be changed in due course, because when the time comes the current government wants to get re-elected.

You can still use the old one for ID, just not for travel/extensions etc.

Correct that you cannot travel. But it still can be used to apply for extensions of stay and etc.at immigration. They don't check a database there.

Not totally correct.

If you recall I got a 12m extension in my 'cancelled' passport back in June.

I since received my new passport

This week I went to Cambodia, via Chong Chom, and thought I would try using the old passport. Absolutely no problem. The Thai immigration system computers are clearly not linked to the UK passport system. Having proved that point I can now go and get my stamps transferred to my new passport. .... by way of coincidence the Thai immigration officer at the border was the same guy who processed my extension.smile.png

Did they not put a cancelled stamp in your old passport?

I transferred my stamps over last Friday and got a new extension. That's three pages gone already!!! When these new overstay rules kick in, there's going to be some collateral damage from all this, especially if the reported hard line and no appeals scenario is true.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No.

VFS were not interested in seeing my old passport when I collected the new one.

I handed my passport in on 26th May, reading delboys posts it's looking like I'm gonna go onto overstay, I'm good up to around 21st August.

Will call them next week and hopefully get this Martin chap on the phone. I think I should have just flown home and got this done. Ridiculous situation.

I`m 27th May (money taken on 31st) so now nearly 7 weeks and my entry stamp is valid until 22 Aug.

Phoned them Friday and just told me it was in processing but they sounded as if they were just guessing really. Told me to phone again next week.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 7.5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Can someone clarify for me - i'm submitting my son's passport application this Weds and as part of the 'supporting documents' have duly colour copied every page in my UK passport and his Thai passport. I'm going to take both originals, but I only need to submit the copies at VFS - is that correct?

Can someone clarify for me - i'm submitting my son's passport application this Weds and as part of the 'supporting documents' have duly colour copied every page in my UK passport and his Thai passport. I'm going to take both originals, but I only need to submit the copies at VFS - is that correct?

Correct.

Have you copied the blank pages as well? - don't forget to sign every page (I actually copied 2 passport pages on one sheert of A4)

Edited by Jip99

Great, thanks for that

Should I also sign his Thai passport pages on his behalf or leave it as it is?

Just wondering what you put your documents and forms together in, I've bought a folder with plastic pockets but got a feeling I'll get to VFS and they'll yank it all out. Will the originals or copies of the other documents be taken to send off? Like birth certs, etc.

smile.png

Oh and yes I've copied the blank pages too - all 66 of them in the Thai pp facepalm.gif

Edited by phuket2013

Great, thanks for that

Just wondering what you put your documents and forms together in, I've bought a folder with plastic pockets but got a feeling I'll get to VFS and they'll yank it all out. Will the originals or copies of the other documents be taken to send off? Like birth certs, etc.

smile.png

Oh and yes I've copied the blank pages too - all 66 of them in the Thai pp facepalm.gif

I'm confused ... I thought first time applications were still done at the Embassy, not VFS.

From the .gov.uk website ...

First time passport applicants should continue submit their application to the British Embassy in Bangkok. Their application will then be sent on to Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK for processing.

Edited by rajyindee

Great, thanks for that

smile.png

I'm confused ... I thought first time applications were still done at the Embassy, not VFS.

From the .gov.uk website ...

First time passport applicants should continue submit their application to the British Embassy in Bangkok. Their application will then be sent on to Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK for processing.

Must be some conflicting information on the HMPO Website, ran through the menu choices for a first passport for a child born in Thailand and ended up here:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/applying/child/Thailand

Application in this case to be made at trendy.

Yes I think it's through VFS on behalf of HMPO... the email appointment footer was from VFS global.

With signing passport pages, do I need to get my counter-signatory and the boy's dad to sign the copy of their passport pages?

Or just me signing mine?

Sorry for the never-ending list of questions! :)

Yes I think it's through VFS on behalf of HMPO... the email appointment footer was from VFS global.

With signing passport pages, do I need to get my counter-signatory and the boy's dad to sign the copy of their passport pages?

Or just me signing mine?

Sorry for the never-ending list of questions! smile.png

May be overkill, but without doubt it will be easier if you do get this done in advance - you can always additionally sign them yourself if that's what they ask for.

Use black pen/biro for all forms/signatures.

Trendy are not that fussy about the documents, the problems, if they come, will come from HMPO Liverpool who are the ones who actually check your application, trendy pretty much check the relevant papers are there then just courier them to HMPO Liverpool.

Make sure you also provide the required evidence of name and address for your son - document must be in English or with attached full translation to English by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company.

Also make sure the passport photos meet the UK guidelines and that your payment method will work for a debit which is actually made by HMPO in the UK.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Thanks for the info and moral support! haha.

Ive got a legal translation of my son's birth cert for his name, photo is in his Thai passport which is already written in Thai/ Eng so no need for a translation. Address evidence, I emailed HMPO querying this and they said it needs to be for myself as I am applying on his behalf so have begged work to type up a last minute employment record with my address on it. Rental agreements are not on the list of acceptable evidence would you believe!

When I/ we sign our passport colour copies, do we need to write anything? Or just sign & date? Can't find anything on the gov.uk website advising about this. Should I sign the copies of my son'sThai passport on his behalf?

Thanks again :)

Thanks for the info and moral support! haha.

Ive got a legal translation of my son's birth cert for his name, photo is in his Thai passport which is already written in Thai/ Eng so no need for a translation. Address evidence, I emailed HMPO querying this and they said it needs to be for myself as I am applying on his behalf so have begged work to type up a last minute employment record with my address on it. Rental agreements are not on the list of acceptable evidence would you believe!

When I/ we sign our passport colour copies, do we need to write anything? Or just sign & date? Can't find anything on the gov.uk website advising about this. Should I sign the copies of my son'sThai passport on his behalf?

Thanks again smile.png

Just sign every page (no need to date) - you are applying on behalf of your son. nothing for him to do.

Right, I just phoned the 'help line' in the UK, all was going well until she asked me for a 'document number' that I was supposed to have from Trendy, beginning with a 2 apparantly...but I have no such thing, all I have is a document receipt that I show when I go to collect my PP, this receipt also had small white piece of paper attached with a DHL tracking number, but definitely no doc number?? When I told her I had no such thing she said that the 'progress team' would/should be able to help me by just giving them my name and DOB etc, she tried to transfer me but they were busy so I will call back later.

She told me the turn around time was 6 weeks at present, which maks me due around now, but seeing as delboy has been waiting since 9th May, I'm not that confident.

UPDATE: Called back and now have a ref no. Anyway, they said my PP is in Liverpool and awaiting 'checking' said there are no problems with my application, which is something I suppose...said the turnaround is still 6 weeks, which is now, but she couldn't give me any more info than what she did, just kep saying that they are incredibly busy, but seemed fairly optimistic that it won't be that much longer and suggested I call back again in a week...asked if I have any travel planned, I said no but I go onto overstay around mid-august, it's actually the 22nd, so I really do need it back before then....I am fairly optimistic I will, but wouldn't stake a penny on it..

I received an email today stating my passport is ready to be issued. Any idea what issued means?? Ready for posting, printing, etc.

Anyone else had this and knows the time it will take to get the passport?

I received an email today stating my passport is ready to be issued. Any idea what issued means?? Ready for posting, printing, etc.

Anyone else had this and knows the time it will take to get the passport?

No idea. Ridiculous though isn't it, why can't these people just speak in simple terms? When did you hand it in at Trendy?

Hi all, Newbie here

Passport has been with Trendy since the 12th of May, tried emailing and calling but no answers or none that make any sense.

Non O 3 month visa is due to run out on the 23rd of this month. Have tried calling the local immigration offices but have yet to answer, will pop down tomorrow and see but could anyone confirm if immigration are able to give an extension until my passport arrives?

I am worried to hell that I will overstay if my passport is not back in time and from reading on here, my passport has been "zapped" so I can't go out of the country.

Passport has 1 year left and 3 pages spare if that makes any difference.

Will know tomorrow but been effecting my sleep for the past few days.

Thanks

Hi all, Newbie here

Passport has been with Trendy since the 12th of May, tried emailing and calling but no answers or none that make any sense.

Non O 3 month visa is due to run out on the 23rd of this month. Have tried calling the local immigration offices but have yet to answer, will pop down tomorrow and see but could anyone confirm if immigration are able to give an extension until my passport arrives?

I am worried to hell that I will overstay if my passport is not back in time and from reading on here, my passport has been "zapped" so I can't go out of the country.

Thanks

you should be able to get a 60 day extension in the old passport at your local Immigration.This is my plan B.

Hi all, Newbie here

Thanks

you should be able to get a 60 day extension in the old passport at your local Immigration.This is my plan B.

Really? Are you sure about this? So you can go into immigration here and tell them that you haven't got your new passport back and will be going onto overstay so they give you another 60 days? How would they even know that have a new passport on the way?

Hi all, Newbie here

Thanks

Calm down mate, this isn't a hanging offence. Thai immigration know there are long waits for British passports and they will understand this. You sure you are a Hammer??

Hi all, Newbie here

Thanks

Really? Are you sure about this? So you can go into immigration here and tell them that you haven't got your new passport back and will be going onto overstay so they give you another 60 days? How would they even know that have a new passport on the way?

I will take the Trendy receipt and a bank statement showing the debit to my account. That should be enough to show them I have a passport on the way, just hope they can give an extension.

Hi all, Newbie here

Thanks

Basically yes after explaining that I planned to obtain a new year non o visa in Savanakhet but cannot because of the uk passport incompetence. Your are allowed one extension on a non o visa based on marriage. Also according to another poster on this thread immigration offices have been advised by Bangkok of this Uk passport fiasco and have been told to help if possible.

Hi all, Newbie here

Thanks

Basically yes after explaining that I planned to obtain a new year non o visa in Savanakhet but cannot because of the uk passport incompetence. Your are allowed one extension on a non o visa based on marriage. Also according to another poster on this thread immigration offices have been advised by Bangkok of this Uk passport fiasco and have been told to help if possible.

So that doesn't apply to everyone then does it. You made it sound like it's fair game for all.

Hi all, Newbie here

Thanks

Two simple questions:

1) What is the actual expiry date of your UK passport?

2) Is your 90 day Single Entry Non Immigrant 'O' based on Thai Family - child/wife?

Please let the thread know the answers and then we can give you best advice.