Problem bringing an unrelated child out of Thailand?

My Thai girlfriend wants to bring her 11 year old 'niece' (really the daughter of a good friend) on a 4 day holiday to visit me in Singapore in January. The parents, of course, are all for it, and the girl is excited about the prospect of visiting Singapore, which seems to have mythological status in the minds of some Thais. But I'm just wondering about the logistics of it.

I presume the mother would accompany my gf and the girl to check-in. But might there be any problems at immigration on the Thai side (or even the Singapore side)? My concern, of course, is that the girl is not related to my gf, so there may be understandable worries about child abduction, human trafficking, etc. Is this doable? Should the mother provide some sort of letter (not that that would prove anything)? Perhaps my gf should have a dated photo on her phone of the three of them together (again, doesn't prove much)? Or am I worrying for nothing? I want to buy the tickets soon, but of course don't want them to be stopped at the airport (either in Bangkok or Singapore). Thanks.

• Like 1

There was a topic recently about a mother leaving Thailand for the UK with her child who had a different surname to her. Both Thai and UK immigration wanted to see the child's birth certificate to prove the relationship. (Edit: see this post)

As your girlfriend is not related to the child, I suggest a letter of consent from the parents, or just the mother if the father is unavailable for some reason, plus the girl's birth certificate to show that they are her parents.

With certified English, Malay or Mandarin translations of both for Singapore immigration.

Maybe not needed, but better, I think, to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

I think Singapore immigration will want bit more than a bit of paper signed by a someone claiming to be the parent.

During my many visits I have found them sticklers for paperwork.

That is if your girlfriend manages to check her in with the airline and get through immigration in BKK.

Frankly I don't think an 11 year old girl travelling without either parent will manage to enter Singapore alone.

• Like 1

There was a topic recently about a mother leaving Thailand for the UK with her child who had a different surname to her. Both Thai and UK immigration wanted to see the child's birth certificate to prove the relationship. (Edit: see this post)

As your girlfriend is not related to the child, I suggest a letter of consent from the parents, or just the mother if the father is unavailable for some reason, plus the girl's birth certificate to show that they are her parents.

With certified English, Malay or Mandarin translations of both for Singapore immigration.

Maybe not needed, but better, I think, to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

Thanks for your reply. Makes sense.

I think Singapore immigration will want bit more than a bit of paper signed by a someone claiming to be the parent.

During my many visits I have found them sticklers for paperwork.

That is if your girlfriend manages to check her in with the airline and get through immigration in BKK.

Frankly I don't think an 11 year old girl travelling without either parent will manage to enter Singapore alone.

You may be right. I will call Singapore immigration tomorrow to see what I can learn on this side. Looks like the whole thing may be just too complicated...

Children are allowed to fly unaccompanied as long as documentation is right. I cannot see why it should be a problem to fly to Singapore or anywhere else. I would contact the airline and find out what they require. If necessary contact the Singapore Embassy.

The global war on trafficking does not mean the world grinds to a halt!

Careful preparation and documentation as you would travelling with any child.

Agreed Bob but if you have spent any time in Singapore you will know immigration there pay a lot of attention to single Thai women let alone one who is travelling with a young girl that is not her daughter.

7by7 is being a bit naive thinking a letter from the parents with a translation will suffice.

The topic you refer to has no bearing on this situation.

I take it you have no experience of Singapore or their strict immigration?

Children are allowed to fly unaccompanied as long as documentation is right. I cannot see why it should be a problem to fly to Singapore or anywhere else. I would contact the airline and find out what they require. If necessary contact the Singapore Embassy.

The global war on trafficking does not mean the world grinds to a halt!

Careful preparation and documentation as you would travelling with any child.

Agreed Bob but if you have spent any time in Singapore you will know immigration there pay a lot of attention to single Thai women let alone one who is travelling with a young girl that is not her daughter.

7by7 is being a bit naive thinking a letter from the parents with a translation will suffice.

Hi Jay. I've lived in Singapore for 15 years (work necessity more than choice), and my gf has visited me here numerous times in the 4 years we've been together. She only got 'pulled into the office' (as they say here) on one occasion, and that was near the start of our relationship. When she comes here she dresses in her 'temple best' and keeps the makeup to a minimum. She also has my business card (from a local university) placed prominently in her passport holder, and she has no problem rattling off my address to the IO if asked (her English is quite good now). I don't know if being accompanied by a child would make a difference, but at least by herself, she has no problem getting in.

I have just done this, you will need a letter of consent from her parents and this letter must be stamped by each of her parents amphur which ever one is on their ID cards, we had to do a lot of running around and her dad had to take a day off work.

, without the stamp you will not even be able to check in, she will also need a passport , yes even for Singapore.

We went to Vietnam with my gf niece and this is what we had to do

• Like 2

I have just done this, you will need a letter of consent from her parents and this letter must be stamped by each of her parents amphur which ever one is on their ID cards, we had to do a lot of running around and her dad had to take a day off work.

, without the stamp you will not even be able to check in, she will also need a passport , yes even for Singapore.

Thanks for this. I just talked to JetStar and was told that all will be fine if the mother accompanies the child and my gf to check-in with ID showing that they are related (same surname) and preferably a birth certificate. I've asked my gf to call immigration in Bangkok as a check on that part of the process.

I take it you have no experience of Singapore or their strict immigration?

Sorry but except keep repeating that Singapore has strict immigration, I don't see where you've provided any expertise or detailed experience regarding bringing a Thai child to Singapore.

I'm sure there are others, like me, who are based in Singapore, who does not experience issue inviting Thai friends over. For Songkran this year, my ex and "our" niece (19 yr) came over without any issue. Very next day, one of my ex's female friend also flew in to hangout at Santosa/MBS.

I don't have any experience with having underaged Thai kids coming over but we are discussing bringing over our 9 yr and 14 yr nieces over next year.

• Like 2

100 % true. Been there done that got the T shirt. You will need a letter from the childs parents notorized at the local amphur. As stated you will not get past Thai immigration. It can be a very costly procedure to overlook

Dude on the side of safety I would ask the mother of the daughter to also come with her and your girlfriend so there is no misunderstanding on either ends of trip. I would hate if something happened on your end at airport then end up cuffs trying to figure what the hell did I do. Easy to explain if mother is with harder to explain if with girlfriend. If I were an agent in immigration I know I would give you an extreme hard once over. maybe with rubber hose.

Dude on the side of safety I would ask the mother of the daughter to also come with her and your girlfriend so there is no misunderstanding on either ends of trip. I would hate if something happened on your end at airport then end up cuffs trying to figure what the hell did I do. Easy to explain if mother is with harder to explain if with girlfriend. If I were an agent in immigration I know I would give you an extreme hard once over. maybe with rubber hose.

Good advice...the extra airfare might save a whole lot of heartache.

The rules are there to protect the child, not prevent them flying. Same paperwork covering parental permission etc will work both ways. Struggling to see why this is a problem as long as everyone is aware that extra documentation is sensible.

Sounds like the OP has done the sensible thing and questioned both airline and Singapore authorities.

• Like 2