Time for another Laotian adventure, any advice appreciated

I am planning a trip to Vientiane for the end of the month to get my second single entry 90 day Non-O based on dependents. The last time I did this trip it was a complete nightmare, largely down to a lack of planning on my side and the fact that i got a bus from Bangkok. This time I am making every effort to make it a pleasant sightseeing adventure, i thought I would give details of my itinerary in case any of you experienced posters/runners have any advice. Thanks in advance.

• Flying out to to Udon Thani early Wednesday morning. I arrive at 7:25am and was hoping this would give me plenty of time to get to immigration in Laos. Is it likely that I will make it to Vientiane immigration on time? What is the best route to take? i.e. taxi, bus, jet-pack
  • After a calm and problem free visit to immigration I will be looking for a hotel. I am still not decided on whether its better to book in advance or just do some exploring to find some nice lodgings in Vientiane. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated, hoping for a nice spa and a good massage at the hotel.
  • Thursday morning after a nice breakfast and a rohypnol free Laotian coffee I will make my way to immigration to pick up my documents and visa.
  • My return flight is not till Saturday afternoon, i decided to leave an extra day in case there are any complications. Assuming that everything goes to plan i will have at least 1.5 days to explore Laos. Any suggestions of things to do during Thursday afternoon and Friday? I was hoping to do some hiking or visit a couple of temples.
  • Saturday morning i will leave Laos fairly early and head for Udon Thani. Any advice on the best way to make this trip would be appreciated.
Edited by arnold40844

Have the rot dtoo direct from Udon Thani Airport to Friendship Bridge.

On the way back, have the bus direct from Talat Sao Bus Station, Vientiane to Udon Thani Bus Station. Then have the taxi 150 Baht direct to Udon Thani Airport.

• Like 2

On the way back, have the bus direct from Talat Sao Bus Station, Vientiane to Udon Thani Bus Station. Then have the taxi 150 Baht direct to Udon Thani Airport.

Thanks, is it still worth taking USD to the border? Do you know how much it is these days?

Thanks, is it still worth taking USD to the border? Do you know how much it is these days?

Absolutely, you will save money by paying for your VOA in USD. Price varies according to nationality. Take various denominations, 10, 20 and 5 so you can pay the correct amount.

I have done this trip 3 times and if you arrive at 7:25 then you have enough time -that is the nok air flight I have used each time.

You will only have to wait about 10mins for the minibus at Udon airport (you will see the counter inside the airport. It will take an hour to get to the bridge then an hour to get across the bridge as Laos immigration is usually busy, then less than an hour to get to Thai embassy by taxi. So you will probably get to the Thai embassy at about 10:30 which is enough time to get your passport submitted for pick up next afternoon.

Lao VOA prices here. http://www.laos-guide-999.com/visa-on-arrival.html

You could also go to Savannakhet for your visa. They are doing them on the same day you apply now

Interesting... What are the benefits of going to Savannakhet other than the same day service? The flights seem very expensive from Bangkok.
Thanks.

Ah i see it is not that far from Udon... Are there any benefits at Savannakhet, cost saving, nicer area? Would it also be possible to get a multi entry non-O?

Thanks

You could also go to Savannakhet for your visa. They are doing them on the same day you apply now

Interesting... What are the benefits of going to Savannakhet other than the same day service? The flights seem very expensive from Bangkok.
Thanks.

Closer, easier, quicker & cheaper.

I would read the thread on Savvannakhet, it has info on lao visa plus links to forms so you can print & complete them in advance making things on the day super simple. US$ for the Loa visa is best as far cheaper than the Baht rip-off price.

Bus is better though due to arrival time & fact you at the thai bus station then simply take next bus to Savvanakhet.

Flying sounds good but lot more running about & wasted time in most scenarios ...

Thanks.

Closer, easier, quicker & cheaper.

I would read the thread on Savvannakhet, it has info on lao visa plus links to forms so you can print & complete them in advance making things on the day super simple. US$ for the Loa visa is best as far cheaper than the Baht rip-off price.

Bus is better though due to arrival time & fact you at the thai bus station then simply take next bus to Savvanakhet.

Flying sounds good but lot more running about & wasted time in most scenarios ...

Well is appears that i am now going to Savannakhet after reading a few reviews.

How straight forward is it to get from Udon Thani to Savannakhet at 7:25am? Are there buses and does anyone how long it takes.

Check for Nok Air or Air Asia for flights to Mukdahan that are a fly/ride service via Nakhon Phanom. The best way to use the service is fly in the afternoon before you apply for the visa and stay in Mukdahan for the night and take the bus to Savannakhet the next morning.

Udon Thani is about a 4 hour bus ride to Mukdahan

Check for Nok Air or Air Asia for flights to Mukdahan that are a fly/ride service via Nakhon Phanom. The best way to use the service is fly in the afternoon before you apply for the visa and stay in Mukdahan for the night and take the bus to Savannakhet the next morning.

Udon Thani is about a 4 hour bus ride to Mukdahan

I have already booked the flights to Udon so not sure if changing the plan is a great idea... it would have been a better way of doing it for sure. Will see if i can get refunded...

I am completely torn now between Vientiane and Savvannakhet. I have taken the time out so timing is not an issue, neither is the $£$. Just want to have an enjoyable few days.

From my research Savvannakhet seems like a bit of dump, run down hotels and very little to do. Its going to take 5 hours on a bus from Udon and as i have already booked my flights the ticket is not refundable...

When you say Savvannakhet is cheaper, how so? Is that for hotels or for the actual visa?

I am completely torn now between Vientiane and Savvannakhet. I have taken the time out so timing is not an issue, neither is the $£$. Just want to have an enjoyable few days.

From my research Savvannakhet seems like a bit of dump, run down hotels and very little to do. Its going to take 5 hours on a bus from Udon and as i have already booked my flights the ticket is not refundable...

When you say Savvannakhet is cheaper, how so? Is that for hotels or for the actual visa?

Visa cost is the same, 1,000, 2,000, 5,000. One probably will not sleep in Savannakhet because visa service is same day. In Mukdahan there many hotels up to 4 stars, the one at the bus station is perfectly Ok.

Basically overall cost for Savannakhet can be far cheaper.

Only problem is the flights are not best way of doing it,

Tour Bus from BKK that goes direct to Mukkadan bus station is best way mainly as times work perfect & you don't need onward travel or overnight hotel like do with flights. Also the Tour bus is less than 700Bt, my full comments on it can be found in the Savvanakhet thread.

Well, if you want to relax a little bit and and eat good food or what night go to Vientiane of course. Never been to Savannakhet, I know it is the 2nd biggest city in Laos, but I haven't heard rave reviews about the place.

Also some interesting sights to check out are things like: The Lao National museum, That Luang Golden Stupa, Patuxai, Wat Sisaket, Wat Mixay (with a 14th century bronze buddha), they are spread all out over town, I would recommend renting a bike or motorbike..

hotels vary. You spend as little as backpacker prices to 500 baht for a decent guesthouse room up to $300 a night for some nice luxury. What is your price range? I always stay at Mixay Paradise guesthouse, no spa, but decent breakfast and clean, AC, cable/wifi rooms.

you can find some great massage places all the 'downtown' area.

Have Fun!

We just got back from a wonderful trip to Vientiane and Vang Vieng.

Cost for visa US $35 at Friendship bridge. (US dollars better rate)

Bus available at Lao Border to Vientiane (20 Baht)

Visa on arrival took almost 2 hours for Lao officials to get back from coffee at 10:30

Lao Immigration was trouble free pick up form at window 1, submit and pay window 2, and pickup passport with new visa window 3

Direct bus from Udon to Vientiane ($$ ??) or Vang Vieng to Udon (110,000 kip) (at Udon Bus station look for International Bus Window)

Plenty of nice hotels in Vientiane about (200,000 kip incl breakfast)

Vientiane has really changed in the last few years many more upscale hotels and restaurants.

Plenty of nice hotels in Vang Vieng for (150,000 kip incl breakfast)

Have a great time!

Vientianne is my favourite city in SE Asia. Love it and prefer it for a couple of days away than anywhere in Thailand. Some great bars and restaurants. Unfortunately, i cannot say the same for Savannakhet, the only thing going for it is the multi entry 15 month non O and a much less crowded and friendlier consulate.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Vientianne is my favourite city in SE Asia. Love it and prefer it for a couple of days away than anywhere in Thailand. Some great bars and restaurants. Unfortunately, i cannot say the same for Savannakhet, the only thing going for it is the multi entry 15 month non O and a much less crowded and friendlier consulate.

I agree about Vientiane as favourite city in SE ASIA