How can I transfer money from a Bangkok Bank to another Bank outside of the country?

I went into the Bangkok Bank in exchange hoping to transfer money to a bank in another country using the SWIFT number / routing number / account number etc.

Bangkok Bank told me they could not do it and I would have to go to the Nana branch.

Has anyone any experience with doing this? All I want to do is move about 20,000 from my Thai baht savings account to the other country.

If you were at a micro-branch like many malls have or an exchange booth maybe what they trying to explain is you need to go to a "full service" branch. The micro-branch/exchange booths offer a limited range of services.

If you were at a micro-branch like many malls have or an exchange booth maybe what they trying to explain is you need to go to a "full service" branch. The micro-branch/exchange booths offer a limited range of services.

I used the Bangkok Bank at Exchange near Asok. I think that's the bank I hear everyone suggesting foreigners go to and it was where I went to when I opened my account. It's one of the bigger branches :-(

internet banking, easy no question asked fast.

What do you mean by internet banking? as far as I know a foreigner can't transfer funds

to overseas using the net without going to thru the approved channels,

if you of a way that it can be done please PM me...

• Like 1

If you qualify for a Ibanking account, it can be done easly.

If you talk to branch banks they say NO! Never talk to them as they always say NO, to everything.

i use both Bangkok Bank and K-bank, both work well with no additional paper work or questions.

There are limits as to the transfer amount.

You need a proper Visa and easiest if you have a Work permit.

There are requirements to open a I-Banking account.

The instructions are on most banks main web site, as are the requirements.

In some case you would need to have a contact at the Mian Bank, to walk the Branch people through the process.

Once you have I-Banking you can transfer funds overseas on line.

As I understand I-Banking is not now allowed unless you are a resident in Thailand, not sure why,, call the MAIN Bank and ASK.

Easiest to Add I-Banking to an Existing Account I have found.

If you talk to branch banks they say NO! Never talk to them as they always say NO, to everything.

i use both Bangkok Bank and K-bank, both work well with no additional paper work or questions.

In some case you would need to have a contact at the Mian Bank, to walk the Branch people through the process.

As I understand I-Banking is not now allowed unless you are a resident in Thailand, not sure why,, call the MAIN Bank and ASK.

I tried this as soon as Bangkok Bank offered it. I already had iBanking, a Non-O(A) visa, numerous accounts and had done many regular wire transfers through the branch.

When I tried to get set up to do the transfers through iBanking they told me I couldn't as I had to be able to prove the money I was sending had been earned in Thailand ! They told me the main branch needed to see a work permit and tax returns before they could authorize transfers (something they apparently don't need if I'm doing the transfer at the branch office) !

I tried to point out that they knew my money was (wire transferred) into my account from overseas, I'm on a Non-O(A) visa (so no work permit or tax returns any ways) and it was the same transfer that I normally do sitting at their desk. Didn't help. I guess I'll have to go to the main Pattaya office and talk to them directly.

I bank at Bangkok Bank Seacon Square. To transfer money or cash cheques from abroad, I have to go the nearest International Branch of BBL which is on Bangna Trad next to Big C. Alternatively I can use my online banking if I apply to use the international transfer facility.

i think you way overstate how easy it is to get it added to your ibanking. Per Bang of Thailand regulations which all Thai banks must follow, it's pretty much limited to salary repatriation for farangs, but if a Thai national you have more reasons the money can be transferred.

And if you have ibanking you can indeed start the application process online if desired for international transfers but then have to followup with the required support documentation, like work permit, for the approval. See below partial cut and paste from the Bangkok Bank website regarding ibanking international transfers...and note where it says for farangs it's limited to "salary repatriation." See this web link for "full" details.

post-55970-0-87903600-1416538686_thumb.j

My experience in Thailand was that I could routinely transfer money out of my Chase account in the U.S.A. into my Bangkok Bank account. My Wells Fargo account was set up in a link to the Bangkok Bank and to my Chase account. I could transfer money out of the WElls account to the Chase account and from there into the B.B. account.

BUT - when I tried to transfer my money back out of the B.B. account into the Wells account online, online, in Thailand, the account got frozen and was closed down to me. Wells people told me that there was no link between the two banks - even though I had gone through their b.s.procedures to forge that link. Bangkok Bank told me that it was not possible to transfer money out of Thailand. Both of these banks were lying. But the bottom line was that they would not permit me to make this legitimate transaction. Nobody cared that this money had come into Thailand from the U.S.A. - my monthly VA disability allowance - and I had not earned any money inThailand.

To me, Western Union as they are such a rip-off it is insulting, but if gotta use them good luck to you.

What I did when I was about to leave Thailand was withdraw money in cash - dollars and Euros. Of course this is not feasible if you are dealing with a substantial amount.

i am trying to do the same and in the same area. We went to exchange and they said go to Nana branch and we tried online account and they said cannot have to show work permit. I told them I am here 9 years on retirement visa and no work allowed. They say again go to Nana branch Sukhumvit and talk to them bring work permit.

I say again No work permit retirement visa. Talking to the wall is the same.

So they close around 3pm or so. Cannot go today will check again on Monday with them and bring documents that I got the money from USA Citibank and bought a Condo with it and also other money for the 800,000 baht for the separate account for retirement visa. They do not make it easy. cheers

My experience in Thailand was that I could routinely transfer money out of my Chase account in the U.S.A. into my Bangkok Bank account. My Wells Fargo account was set up in a link to the Bangkok Bank and to my Chase account. I could transfer money out of the WElls account to the Chase account and from there into the B.B. account.

BUT - when I tried to transfer my money back out of the B.B. account into the Wells account online, online, in Thailand, the account got frozen and was closed down to me. Wells people told me that there was no link between the two banks - even though I had gone through their b.s.procedures to forge that link. Bangkok Bank told me that it was not possible to transfer money out of Thailand. Both of these banks were lying. But the bottom line was that they would not permit me to make this legitimate transaction. Nobody cared that this money had come into Thailand from the U.S.A. - my monthly VA disability allowance - and I had not earned any money inThailand.

To me, Western Union as they are such a rip-off it is insulting, but if gotta use them good luck to you.

What I did when I was about to leave Thailand was withdraw money in cash - dollars and Euros. Of course this is not feasible if you are dealing with a substantial amount.

Yes, if you try to "pull" money from your Bangkok Bank account via ACH debit/pull transfer from your U.S. bank the transfer will be rejected by Bangkok Bank due to Bank of Thailand regulations. And the Bangkok Bank website clearly tells a person when setting up ACH transfer links with their U.S. bank to not attempt a "Pull/Transfer Out" transfer as it will be rejected and your U.S. bank may then suspend the transfer link because they may be concerned a fraudulent transaction is occurring due to the transfer rejection by Bangkok Bank. Generally, to transfer money "out" of Thailand you must go to a branch to initiate the transfer and of course must have the appropriate documents/reasons which will authorize the transfer per Bank of Thailand regulations. Yes, Thailand is the Land of Smiles for incoming money, but due to Bank of Thailand regulations Thailand can be the Land of Frowns for outgoing money regardless of the bank or branch you go to.

Link to Webpage with below quote

Important Note

You cannot transfer funds from Bangkok Bank's account in Thailand to your account with banks or online payment service providers in the US via Bangkok Bank's New York branch and the ACH system. If you initiate direct debit or ACH debit transactions to Bangkok Bank's New York branch, banks in the US and online payment service providers may suspend your account.

For those without a work permit, how is a int'l wire done at a bank?

From posts I've seen when it can be done for small amounts (i.e., a couple thousand USD max) to pay bills (i.e., personal reasons) at many branches. Or if a person has a Foreign Exchange Certificate/Letter document the earlier transfer-in of foreign funds then that clears the way for small or large sums up to the amount you transferred-in. Apparently it's easier to do at Western Union offices but of course they apply a healthy fee/low exchange rate.

Heck, transferring money out can even be a pain for Thai citizen. A few months ago my Thai neighbor transferred some funds to her daughter in California and had to provide a bunch of documentation to the Thai bank to effect the transfer of approx $5000 in baht.

For those without a work permit, how is a int'l wire done at a bank?

For the ummthteen time ....

Go into either the Nana or Emphorium Bangkok Bank branch ...

Complete the TT form ( make sure you have beneficiary bank details, BSB/SWIFT/IBAN account etc ..) ... have your passport and passbook...... coffee1.gif

i think you way overstate how easy it is to get it added to your ibanking. Per Bang of Thailand regulations which all Thai banks must follow, it's pretty much limited to salary repatriation for farangs, but if a Thai national you have more reasons the money can be transferred.

And if you have ibanking you can indeed start the application process online if desired for international transfers but then have to followup with the required support documentation, like work permit, for the approval. See below partial cut and paste from the Bangkok Bank website regarding ibanking international transfers...and note where it says for farangs it's limited to "salary repatriation." See this web link for "full" details.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

For what it's worth, that's exactly what i was told!

I tried to set up my my Ibank account at Bangkok Bank to pay for some large farm equipment purchases in the US but got to a point in the application process and was told that I could not, it was for salary repatriation only for farangs. I went to the local branch where I have my account, not a mall, and they told me that I would have to go to Nakhon Sawan since they could not process USD transfers. I went to the local Krung Thai branch and had no problem and it was done in about 10 minutes. They told me that all branches could not do it because the baht had to be converted to USD before the transfer. I had a signed purchase agreement but they never looked at it and I filled in all of the details in English myself. If I remember right it only cost me 300 baht for $30,000, but the exchange rate sucked!

I tried this as soon as Bangkok Bank offered it. I already had iBanking, a Non-O(A) visa, numerous accounts and had done many regular wire transfers through the branch.

When I tried to get set up to do the transfers through iBanking they told me I couldn't as I had to be able to prove the money I was sending had been earned in Thailand ! They told me the main branch needed to see a work permit and tax returns before they could authorize transfers (something they apparently don't need if I'm doing the transfer at the branch office) !

I tried to point out that they knew my money was (wire transferred) into my account from overseas, I'm on a Non-O(A) visa (so no work permit or tax returns any ways) and it was the same transfer that I normally do sitting at their desk. Didn't help. I guess I'll have to go to the main Pattaya office and talk to them directly.

Yea they can be a big pain,They told me if no work permit(retired) have to get proof of income letter from your Embassy (i am not going for a 2000 K round trip to Bangkok for that shit) ,then you get International I banking with your normal I banking ,so they say,,,,.Other way is go in your B Bank and they do the transfer inside,they will help you with the forms and give a good reason why.

Here's a link to a the Bangkok Bank "Application for Foreign Remittance" in PDF format which they will probably complete when you to to a branch wanting to transfer funds. The application is in English and Thai. Will give you an idea of what they are looking for in considering the foreign remittance. Based on posts I've read on ThaiVisa seems some folks have little problem in accomplishing foreign transfers (but sometimes they don't give all details like maybe they had a work permit or foreign exchange certificate/letter) and other folks have no luck at all. Kinda like trying to open a Thai bank account where one branch throws you out while the next branch welcomes you.

• Like 1

Yea they can be a big pain,They told me if no work permit(retired) have to get proof of income letter from your Embassy (i am not going for a 2000 K round trip to Bangkok for that shit) ,then you get International I banking with your normal I banking ,so they say,,,,.Other way is go in your B Bank and they do the transfer inside,they will help you with the forms and give a good reason why.

Yeah that is what I normally do. Takes about 30 minutes all told. I always keep a copy of the previous Wire Transfer form with my bankbook so that the next time I want to do one I can fill out most of the form myself and save some time.

Always need the passport (never seen an establishment anywhere that needed so many copies of my passport) !

I've always kept my transfer amounts below $10,000 CDN so that there are no hassles, but I could probably do as many $9,950 transfers as I wanted to, as it would mostly depend on the patience of the bank clerk I suspect. As I generally only need to do a transfer a couple times a year it's not a big deal though.

What do you mean by internet banking? as far as I know a foreigner can't transfer funds

I'm not going to PM you but I have the ability to transfer funds to the US visa Bangkok Bank's iBanking. Call up iBanking's customer service number and they should be able to set you up. Actually, if I remember correctly, you may be able to do this online. Just go to transfers and set up a new transfer. There should be something that says international....or it might just have a list of banks and depending on your country and bank, you may or may not be able to do this. I set it up years ago and use it only occasionally.

I've done it many times, either way UK to Thai and vice versa. The money is there within 24 hours.