Barclays Bank International Transfers - problems recently?

Has anyone experienced problems with getting international transfers done over the phone lately?

It seems to me that they have outsourced the service to a call centre in India that is making up their own security questions.

These questions appear to be coming not from information volunteered by the customer but gathered from such things as credit listing data.

It has also turned out that some of the information they are basing the questions on is incorrect.

Anyone else experienced this?

You can do it online now, if you have a card reader, and so all the hassle of doing it over the phone can be avoided. I think it's worth the effort to get one if you don't have one, as it is painless online , whereas the phone business got to be more and more aggravating.

I last did the phone transfer about a year and a half ago, and they asked me specific questions about amounts of deposits that I needed a statement to answer, and I wasn't expecting.

It seemed to take hours though obviously it didn't. Online I can do it in literally 3 minutes.

Edited by partington

You can do it online now, if you have a card reader, and so all the hassle of doing it over the phone can be avoided. I think it's worth the effort to get one if you don't have one, as it is painless online , whereas the phone business got to be more and more aggravating.

I last did the phone transfer about a year and a half ago, and they asked me specific questions about amounts of deposits that I needed a statement to answer, and I wasn't expecting.

It seemed to take hours though obviously it didn't. Online I can do it in literally 3 minutes.

i know I can do it on line....but I've been doing over the phone for about 6 years....... I also have experienced problems with doing it on line which is why I prefer to use the phone.

However what I was asking was if anyone has experienced any problems lately as there seems to have been a change of policy or management - i.e. farmed out to a call centre.

I usually have statements etc ready - however the questions I was asked were completely unanswerable based on assumptions about my personal life and on information that I had not supplied them. i can only assume this information was gathered from some information agency - possibly illegally - and was in fact incorrect.

it looks as if now I'll have to use my card reader......

BTW - what did you do about an IBAN number? - They don't use them outside the EU, do they?

I tried transferring a large amount of money from a wealth account to a current account both sterling accounts by email with my wealth manager at Barclays but she told me this is not possible anymore due to fraud it has to be in writing and a letter through the post even though she knows me. So I'm thinking this is new security with Barclays because in the past I could always do this by email or phone.

Edited by DarloKnight

i know I can do it on line....but I've been doing over the phone for about 6 years....... I also have experienced problems with doing it on line which is why I prefer to use the phone.

However what I was asking was if anyone has experienced any problems lately as there seems to have been a change of policy or management - i.e. farmed out to a call centre.

I usually have statements etc ready - however the questions I was asked were completely unanswerable based on assumptions about my personal life and on information that I had not supplied them. i can only assume this information was gathered from some information agency - possibly illegally - and was in fact incorrect.

it looks as if now I'll have to use my card reader......

BTW - what did you do about an IBAN number? - They don't use them outside the EU, do they?

useing a card reader is quite easy,

name of the recieving bank,

a\c in the name of

a\c no,

swift code of the bank eg.scb bank is sico th bk,

branch

thailand -----

once you have done it for the first time,the next time this bank will come up automatic when you enter the first anitial.

further info as simular to above,dont barclays have their own sending agents,eg.rbs.use roy world express,economy or next day.

if you have online banking there should be [international] transfer info.this again once this is set up,unless you have to change your instructions its all there.dont know if barclays have a limit on how much you can send online each time? mine has a 10,000gbp.

Now this appears to be wandering off my original question - has anyone had problems?

The situation is this - it seems to me that any service you use over the phone with Barclays will be handled by a call centre that is using dubious information to gather security questions.

regardless of whether or not you use you card reader you may at some time encounter this call centre and it looks to me as if you are going to get asked security questions that you simply won't be prepared for or able to answer. These are not snippets of information you have. given to the bank for security purposes or are they questions about the status of your a/c; they are questions gleaned from other sources about your personal life.

if you contact the UK lines the security questions are the same as ever but the cll centre abrod is using their own method to set up questions without referring to the customer first.

I tried transferring a large amount of money from a wealth account to a current account both sterling accounts by email with my wealth manager at Barclays but she told me this is not possible anymore due to fraud it has to be in writing and a letter through the post even though she knows me. So I'm thinking this is new security with Barclays because in the past I could always do this by email or phone.

if you transfer over 5000 quid you need to do it in person or by letter. This has been the case for several years.

Edited by wilcopops

further info as simular to above,dont barclays have their own sending agents,eg.rbs.use roy world express,economy or next day.

if you have online banking there should be [international] transfer info.this again once this is set up,unless you have to change your instructions its all there.dont know if barclays have a limit on how much you can send online each time? mine has a 10,000gbp.

my bank transfer has been set up and used for years with no problems. It is the change in call centre and security questions that seems to be the problem.

my bank transfer has been set up and used for years with no problems. It is the change in call centre and security questions that seems to be the problem.

i had the same system set up with my bank before they told me they could no longer do it for me,so they sent me a card reader,but if i wanted to have a larger amount sent i had to do it through the bank,which the manager done for me after i sent authorisation.but going on your question regarding an indian call center UNPRINTABLE,just say they cost me big time not with a bank but bt,if you can i would give barclays a choice either i deal with the uk.or move to another bank.

i had the same system set up with my bank before they told me they could no longer do it for me,so they sent me a card reader,but if i wanted to have a larger amount sent i had to do it through the bank,which the manager done for me after i sent authorisation.but going on your question regarding an indian call center UNPRINTABLE,just say they cost me big time not with a bank but bt,if you can i would give barclays a choice either i deal with the uk.or move to another bank.

My feeling is that I can no longer use their international phone service. They have made changes without clearly informing me and appear to be using information gathered without my knowledge or consent.

They have also cost me time and money....

I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face, but if, through their actions, they render themselves of no use to me, I will have to look to other banks to keep my money.