'I Hate Thailand' star comes clean: Video funded by TAT

webfact

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A blonde Thai girl stopping for him on a scooter to "help" him is an obvious bargirl reference. The TAT really does know their TRUE audience.

I don't have a problem with that.

Exactly .She lives on an Island ,so is hardly University educated ,but yet knows very good English .Its easy to join the dots .lol

A beautiful tale this is: A quality tourist comes to Thailand, loses his belongings after heavy drinking. Then he overstays as he doesn't have a clue about laws. Finally he starts teaching and working as a diving instructor illegally without a work permit and a teaching licence. He grows to understand life more and more in Thailand, and he's living the dream now.

Until someone finds him drunk or asleep on the beach and then his dream will become a nightmare, if he lives.

This is an excellent video. I've seen it going around FB for a few days, now. It captures The Dream of an entire segment of would-be vacationers and visitors from the West. Extremely well done. People knocking the quality of this video haven't got a clue.

Yes, but you do agree - that it does not line up, very well, with the new way of administrating VISAS and Extensions.....right? And it does not fit, the "quality turist" agenda. Those western backpacker-types, are the ones they got rid of during the summer....now they are paying for videos, that should bring them back? Ehh...?!?

Yes, I agree, with one qualification. Do not discount the impact of this video on older, wealthier "quality tourists," too. What makes it so good, what makes its vision of the The Dream so effective is the almost retro nostalgic feel it generates--for a Thailand that was (in older visitors' minds) and it might just make them want to reconnect to their own desire for adventure and romance when they were young. It will appeal to more than backpackers. It generates the feel of the exotic, the romantic, and adventure among the palms. I think whoever made this caught lightning in a bottle.

Agreed 100%. Certain people should have a look at the " bigger picture " within this production and should not just view it for what it displays. It will leave an impact or more meaningful message in the older generation's mind as well.

Just avoid seeking adventure on Danger Island ( Koh Tao ) as it might come looking for you in an very unpleasant way... whistling.gifwai2.gif

In all honesty the video made me think life is better on the islands than bangkok. But from experience the islands house some of the fiercest Thais. It's a great video nonetheless and helps bridge the gap in understanding between the cultures.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A blonde Thai girl stopping for him on a scooter to "help" him is an obvious bargirl reference. The TAT really does know their TRUE audience.

I don't have a problem with that.

Exactly .She lives on an Island ,so is hardly University educated ,but yet knows very good English .Its easy to join the dots .lol

Man, true dat.

Bargirls speak better English than most university grads.

In fairness, I liked the advert....

No, i don't believe that the village would help.

No, i don't believe that jumping up and down and swearing at a cop would elite a response of "calm down, i am trying to help you" in near perfect English....

No, i don't believe they would get the bag back with all his stuff in it.

But mostly i don't believe he would still be here 2 years later....

I mean.... no problems with the immigration, registration, visas, visa runs, and of course, he has a job teaching english and tours on a speed boat.... he was a back-packer and party animal by the look of it in the video.....

So basically, absolutely everything that Thailand does NOT allow.

Great video, but the TAT are basically implying that you can come to Thailand poor and stay, get a job and a wonderful life..... wrong, wrong, wrong

(they dont even make life simple for those that bring in millions and millions of baht,!)

LOL

Best promotion from TAT so far though, even if it does send the wrong message!!

You're missing the comedy of it. The TAT knows that....but they still want the dirty hippies to come because the "quality tourists" don't by puke bukets full of booze at full moon parties. They can always deport him for an overstay later. Keeps the "myth" about a carefree life in Thailand alive. I don't think "Come to Thailand to experience our Kafka-esque bureaucracy" would sell.

Edited by KuhnPaen
  • Like 2

In fairness, the best bit of marketing done by TAT for years.

Cheesy, but a good effort.

Did people really believe 100 Thais would take to a beach with candles for free to find someone's bag?

Depends what's in the bag.

Sorry, was a cheap shot that I couldn't resist.

Going by recent events. Lucky it wasn't a suitcase ......coffee1.gif

Everyone can go to hell. I LIKED IT!

BTW, as much as it is irrelevant to this subject, today I read a Canadian cop who killed a 5 year old kid will have no charges laid against him. In Thailand you'd at least know the cop's name. In Canada he is protected by secrecy of his pig buddies.

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/family-devastated-no-charges-laid-after-speeding-police-officer-killed-5-year-old-boy-1.2109227

Seriously, go back to your western shtholes and have the rest of us who like Thailand enjoy it like the guy in this advertisement.

BTW, as much as it is irrelevant to this subject, today I read a Canadian cop who killed a 5 year old kid will have no charges laid against him. In Thailand you'd at least know the cop's name. In Canada he is protected by secrecy of his pig buddies.

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/family-devastated-no-charges-laid-after-speeding-police-officer-killed-5-year-old-boy-1.2109227

Seriously, go back to your western shtholes and have the rest of us who like Thailand enjoy it like the guy in this advertisement.

You do know that the guy in the advertisement was just an actor, don't you?

So many sick heartless people here. This video just reminds me of how much local Thais helped tourists affected by tsunami in 2004.

Yeah! Right! And Charles Manson getting married reminds me of Princess Diana's Fantasy wedding. The complaints here are realistic, and no one could ever possibly imagine that they have offended you and whatever it is that reminds you of whatever.

I think calling me and others sick and heartless is a bit naive. You may want to reconsider.

EDIT: On second thought... this view is exactly what TAT is looking for and it truly is sad. I offer my sympathies and RIP to this poster in advance of poor decision making due to extreme gullibility and not listening to Dad growing up.

Edited by cup-O-coffee

Just par for the course.

All we need now is TAT to deny any involvement.

come on all of us living here for a long time like me for over 30 years can get very cynical about Thais and start to think its all bad. We forget how bad it is in west.If you've been here a long time (over 30 years ago was my first time) you will remember your first visit to Asia (mine was 37 years ago in Indonesia). The buzz you got the experiences the pure joy compared with rat race hole of UK and USA. Sure I like most got scammed a bit in first few years was taken in my outside beautiful smiles of most gorgeous females I've ever seem and sure I lost in money terms a few thousand gbp which luckily was at the time not much to me. So some of rose tinted grasses wore away as a few years rolled on and i got more wise and a bit more careful but in all honestly i also found great true frendliness and kindness. Sure this was partly so they could make a living but for most of my guides it was more than that. It was about service and wishing to please and being kind. So after 5 years or so I discovered Thailand and by then was very vary of any Asian ladies and determined never to fall into same trap id seen so many. Like most who've been here a very long time I fell totally in love with Asia. I met true love and saul mate of my life and we've been together for 30 odd years. Like all marriages we've had our rough patches.

TO point I know this film is of course grossly exaggerated and sadly Thailand like all developing countries is not the paradise it used to be. The ladies have grown hard and cynical due IMO to hordes of forang especially in Vietnam days basically just treating them like and throwing them on rubbish without a thought later.

I guess its good TAT are learning some proper PR even if its like any PR its a long way from truth.I recall after a few years in Indonesia saying this place is like paradise and like Hell but tourists and short visitors only normally see paradise bit and not the hell bit. Thailand is same as often us olduns forget why were still here and will never ever return to decedent rotten to core western societies.

• Like 2

I think Mr Oliver Smith should be ashamed of himself this is a slap in the face to the parents of the recently deceased on Koh Tao and looking at that propaganda piece of fiction it helps the side of the corrupt Thai establishment project the myth that Thailand is the Land of Smiles and Thais didn’t do it and don’t do bad things.

I hope you are enjoying your 30 pieces of silver. The full wider implications of his involvement in this project might not yet be apparent to Mr Smith. To deny there is a serious problem in Thailand might help lure the lure back the gullible for this up and coming high season but it is not forcing Thai authorizes to clean their act up and also for us to examine the cause of Thailand flippant attitude to foreigners lives deep seated in xenophobia from the highest levels. People act on example and when individuals are unstable for whatever reason that example can become violence against what Thai society see's as a dehumanized harvest of income.

• Like 1

I think Mr Oliver Smith should be ashamed of himself this is a slap in the face to the parents of the recently deceased on Koh Tao and looking at that propaganda piece of fiction it helps the side of the corrupt Thai establishment project the myth that Thailand is the Land of Smiles and Thais didn’t do it and don’t do bad things.

I hope you are enjoying your 30 pieces of silver. The full wider implications of his involvement in this project might not yet be apparent to Mr Smith. To deny there is a serious problem in Thailand might help lure back the gullible for this up and coming high season but it is not forcing Thai authorities to clean their act up and also for us to examine the cause of Thailand's flippant attitude to foreigners lives deep seated in xenophobia from the highest levels. People act on example and when individuals are unstable for whatever reason that example can become violence against what Thai society see's as a dehumanized harvest of income.

Edited by smellthecoffee