'I Hate Thailand' star comes clean: Video funded by TAT

webfact

I stopped watching this movie half way through because it is only lies...

As stated by others:

* guy would have been beaten to death by the taxi driver for throwing stones at his taxi...

* guy staying in Thailand without income for two years on tourist visa .... And a backpacker ...Not exactly what Thailand is saying they want. He would be arrested for overstay or turned away at the border.

* etc etc etc

• Like 1

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Instead of enticing people to come to Thailand and not to worry they should be telling people to come but be careful.

They should be giving warnings about what to do and not to do.

They should be telling people that Thailand is a lovely country but don't let down your guard.

They should tell tourists how to report crime.

They should be telling Thais to respect their guests.

And stop the lies !

• Like 1

The focus of this all seems to point at the car.

Dear Farangs:

Please throw a stone at someone else's car in your Farang country, make sure the situation is recorded by a hidden camera, and then show us realistic results.

Thanks in advance.

.....so, it opens on a different provider! Tourist comes to thailand with small money, loses small money and passport, teaches kids without work permit and lives in beach bungalo for free.....and all done on a 2 year visa exempt?

.......is this the same thailand as the 1 that forces me to jump through different hoops every year just to come here and spend 1 million baht without being able to open a business and make some more money?

It's for a different generation that may have other preferences than just "making more money" if you already have 1 MB.

Actually I've been in a situation where I had no money left and ATM's not working, and some of the people I had earlier on befriended, nowadays my close friends, just 'no problemed' me for a few days wai2.gif

Of course I had the assumption they were at the time interested in some ROI (return of investment) - but they denied me compensating anything - so I threw a BBQ party as a thanks for them, and asked them to bring in their friends too - really good memories of that night cool.png.pagespeed.ce.jz1nB6CMOI.png

• Like 1

Great campaign and well done to TAT.

If anyone of here thinks the tourist of any country tells or shows the truth about their countries, you must be deluded.

Just watch the UK promotion video's for London.....complete tat and total lies.

Bullsxxt

Actually I've been in a situation where I had no money left and ATM's not working, and some of the people I had earlier on befriended, nowadays my close friends, just 'no problemed' me for a few days wai2.gif

Of course I had the assumption they were at the time interested in some ROI (return of investment) - but they denied me compensating anything - so I threw a BBQ party as a thanks for them, and asked them to bring in their friends too - really good memories of that night cool.png.pagespeed.ce.jz1nB6CMOI.png

What did you grill,,, poodle washed down by buckets of simulated best malt whisky???

• Like 1

To be honest the video summed up my daily experience of Thailand and it beautiful people. Of course you come across some not so nice people as you would in any country but in Thailand they are the exception not the rule. Not like back in the UK where nearly all I came across are just plain rude. For all those Farang who made the Thai bashing statements ive said it before and will say it again. Go home. Im sure you will be welcome back with open arms. Well sort of.

I agree with you. And I've changed in that regard. Used to be that I felt people saying "go home" were just missing the bigger picture and justifying what are some legitimate problems in Thailand. But when you read a thread like this one, and see all the bile, bitterness, anger, and outright hatred pour out from so many people on such an innocuous but clever little advertisement, you must sit back and simply be amazed that those here in Thailand choose to remain in Thailand. Some people seem not to have a single happy moment in their lives. Heck,even if all I did was sit on a barstool and suck down beer, at least once in a while I would look out and enjoy the sunset, the weather, and the ease of getting around in Thailand.

• Like 2

To be honest the video summed up my daily experience of Thailand and it beautiful people. Of course you come across some not so nice people as you would in any country but in Thailand they are the exception not the rule. Not like back in the UK where nearly all I came across are just plain rude. For all those Farang who made the Thai bashing statements ive said it before and will say it again. Go home. Im sure you will be welcome back with open arms. Well sort of.

I agree with you. And I've changed in that regard. Used to be that I felt people saying "go home" were just missing the bigger picture and justifying what are some legitimate problems in Thailand. But when you read a thread like this one, and see all the bile, bitterness, anger, and outright hatred pour out from so many people on such an innocuous but clever little advertisement, you must sit back and simply be amazed that those here in Thailand choose to remain in Thailand. Some people seem not to have a single happy moment in their lives. Heck,even if all I did was sit on a barstool and suck down beer, at least once in a while I would look out and enjoy the sunset, the weather, and the ease of getting around in Thailand.

I could not agree more. I cant wait to see the Tourist Dpt in the UK to produce there video which would be a great bit of fiction. What would they sell? The wonderful weather? The friendly people? The comments on here sometimes make me ashamed to be a Farang. At least this video which was well presented is the experience of so many aliens who live here. I would like to see more of them come on TV and offer some statements to negate some of these bitter and twisted farangs who in my opinion should not even be here. Gives us all a bad name. Edited by bim

"Although the video was heavily staged, Smith said he can't deny he has experiences similar to those in the video."

Due to contractual obligations.

Really? No Thai person ever been kind to you or helped you out of a jam since you've been here?

If not, I'd have to wonder why......

Yeah right, that's why he said what he did. He said it because someone was once nice to him? Sure, that's believable. He's got a contract and he's sticking to it.

As for my experiences here, let's see

I've never stayed illegally on a tourist visa

I've never thrown rocks at taxis

I've never been involved in a farcical scene where 100 plus people search for a bag at night by candle light.

I've worked every day [legally] and never had to ask anyone for anything.

I have had a couple of negative experiences, but that's part and parcel of big city life.

I have Thai friends and like living here.

In effect I've lived here legally, I've been law abiding, had some good days and bad ones as well and I've never stumbled in to a fairy story tale concocted by some PR moron at head office.

Good enough for you!

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

I could not agree more. I cant wait to see the Tourist Dpt in the UK to produce there video which would be a great bit of fiction. What would they sell? The wonderful weather? The friendly people? The comments on here sometimes make me ashamed to be a Farang. At least this video which was well presented is the experience of so many aliens who live here. I would like to see more of them come on TV and offer some statements to negate some of these bitter and twisted farangs who in my opinion should not even be here. Gives us all a bad name.
Well it reminds me that my country released promo vid too.

Here it is

less fiction more facts

Edited by mataleo

Somebody should make a response video. Tourist comes to Thailand and.....

1. Scammed by taxi at the airport.

2. Visits tourist attractions but is charged tourist price

3. Pick pocketed by a gang of lady boys

4. Drugged and robbed bt a bar girl girl

5. Run afoul of some police shakedown scan

6. Etc.....

• Like 1

6. Etc.....

Here we go again more Thai bashing. If its that bad go home. We have a great place in the UK called Mosside. Youll love it. Far worse than anywhere in Thailand. The US has the Bronx. Nice this time of year I believe. Your comment in no way reflects the majority of Thailand. See yer. Wouldnt want to be yer.
  • Like 1

I'm getting the Punk Blues when thinking of a taxi that won't stop when I need it.

How many times did I feel like throwing stones at the f***er who just ignores me when I need him. In Farang country you would already be arrested for making aggressive movements against public transportation, even if you have no stone to throw. Even worse, you might end up in an asylum if you don't shut up.

In Thailand you have at least a chance for expression.

Please don't forget what kind of folks the video clip is addressed to. It's not for the Expats that already settled down in Thailand, it's for the tourists that want to come here but are distressed by all the horror stories about Pattaya.

The monkey in me says that aggression, love and hate are very very close together.

Yes, and I love the little bitch when she's getting into my jeans where I stash my money. I know her stash, too :D

So what?

• Like 1

Oh shit, what's that?

Buffalo is sick, maybe has the Punk Blues. Tried to throw stones at him, not work.

Any idea how to cure?

Having read most of your posts on this thread, I think it's fair to say you are living life to the full here. Taking the rough and the smooth as part of life anywhere.

You have the right attitude.

Edited by Bluespunk

I could not agree more. I cant wait to see the Tourist Dpt in the UK to produce there video which would be a great bit of fiction. What would they sell? The wonderful weather? The friendly people? The comments on here sometimes make me ashamed to be a Farang. At least this video which was well presented is the experience of so many aliens who live here. I would like to see more of them come on TV and offer some statements to negate some of these bitter and twisted farangs who in my opinion should not even be here. Gives us all a bad name.
Well it reminds me that my country released promo vid too.

Here it is

less fiction more facts

And absolutely nothing in that video makes me want to go to Poland. Weee! A Pole invented the mine detector. A Pole did that; a Pole did this. If that is the criteria for visiting a country, where exactly does Poland fit on list of Nobel Prize winners? Hint: most of them became Israelis. No, thanks. Thailand not only looks like Paradise compared to Poland. It is paradise compared to all the dark, cold, gloomy, grey, rainy Eurostans.

What did you grill,,, poodle washed down by buckets of simulated best malt whisky???

rolleyes.gif Don't know whether I want to bite onto this one. Nice to see not all cynics have died of extinction though, I bet your people skills get you a lot of invites to BBQ's and other social gatherings whistling.gif

Edit: Oh look, I found an image of our grill, and the spot we were partying at that night - I'd have a photo or two more from the event itself too, but as I don't have the persons' permission, appearing in the photos, to publish (nor would I ask for one, just to prove a point in TVF) I won't be releasing them.wai.gif

Edited by jabis
  • Like 1

6. Etc.....

Here we go again more Thai bashing. If its that bad go home. We have a great place in the UK called Mosside. Youll love it. Far worse than anywhere in Thailand. The US has the Bronx. Nice this time of year I believe. Your comment in no way reflects the majority of Thailand. See yer. Wouldnt want to be yer.
I really don't see why the truth bothers some people so much. Everything said has happened over and over and over again. This video in nothing more than a lie...

People like you are part of the reason Thailand has problems. Sometimes people want to speak their mind and and tell it like they see it ..... Good and bad ! I would bet the same people who bring up negative issues are the ones who live here and love Thailand the most. They just don't sit back like good little sheep and accept everything that is thrown at them.

You are part of the problem so go home !!!

Edited by ttthailand
  • Like 1

6. Etc.....

I really don't see why the truth bothers some people so much. Everything said has happened over and over and over again. This video in nothing more than a lie...

People like you are part of the reason Thailand has problems. Sometimes people want to speak their mind and and tell it like they see it ..... Good and bad ! I would bet the same people who bring up negative issues are the ones who live here and love Thailand the most. They just don't sit back like good little sheep and accept everything that is thrown at them.

You are part of the problem so go home !!!

When the truth is said about the low level of farangs coming here to spit their venom, about their incurable bitterness, their miserable life, their complete lack of knowledge about the real Thai society, their farang drinking ghettos, their obvious unhappiness, their unilingual communication, their cheap money requirements, ..., ..., ..., then it bothers quite much the same posters who allow themselves to bash the Thais.

This video is just about explaining to people that appearances may not be the truth.

A farang loses his bag, he hates Thailand because he thinks he was robbed, he finds new Thai friends, he stays, he learns the language (for the very few here who understood the phrase), he finds his bag, ... and is happy.

Very few on this forum took this story in the right way.

The majority on this forum took the opportunity to bash again. Once more. The 1000th time. And will not miss the next occasion, for sure.

That says a lot about the quality of lots of farangs who end up stuck in this country, while they apparently are very bitter and unhappy.

• Like 2

Gerry1011, I think you got it all wrong. That video is a lie to entice people to come to Thailand after all the terrible things that have been happening. It is staged as a true event and not just a feel good movie. What bothers me is that people may see that movie and think Thailand is so nice and safe and drop their guard and go home in a body bag just like so many others have recently done. I really hope that tourist don't think it is ok to throw stones at taxis. I also did not see any disclaimers at the end saying it was only fiction and not true.

I love Thailand but it is heading in a very bad direction. Anyone who pays attention can see that crime and greed is destroying this country. If everyone just sits back and talks about the nice things nothing will change.

You talk about the bad farang who come here, sure there are many. They are the ones who like the way things are... They are also part of the problem.

• Like 2

Gerry1011, I think you got it all wrong. That video is a lie to entice people to come to Thailand after all the terrible things that have been happening. It is staged as a true event and not just a feel good movie. What bothers me is that people may see that movie and think Thailand is so nice and safe and drop their guard and go home in a body bag just like so many others have recently done. I really hope that tourist don't think it is ok to throw stones at taxis. I also did not see any disclaimers at the end saying it was only fiction and not true.

I love Thailand but it is heading in a very bad direction. Anyone who pays attention can see that crime and greed is destroying this country. If everyone just sits back and talks about the nice things nothing will change.

You talk about the bad farang who come here, sure there are many. They are the ones who like the way things are... They are also part of the problem.

Gerry 1011 is 100% correct. What do you mean "like the way things are"? You mean the endless corruption that most on here bleet about? The video reflects a true account from where im sitting and live but maybe you base your whole view of Thailand on Pattaya and places like this. In my everyday life Thai are sweet always kind and respectful. I dont base my whole opinion of the UK on the sink council estates that exsist. Either move to a nicer part of Thailand or go home. I am tired of those bashing this wonderful country. We as Farangs are guests and very fortunate ones at that. If you dont like it then move. Maybe just maybe with better quality visitors they can clean Thailand up for the better and for the betterment of those fortunate enough to be Thai. I would go as far to say these people are the enemy within. Just go home. Edited by bim
  • Like 2