Getting Set Up With Broadband

phreake

hi guys and gals,

I had a look around this site and couldnt find an answer so forgive me if its been asked before. Im moving to thailand in sep and need to get broadband set up fairly quickly. I think read on thailandguru.com that if you rent a place that already has a phone line connected, you can only install adsl under the landlors name? It says "If you are a renter with an existing phone line, then the broadband service will need to be ordered in the name of the landlord, and you just follow the steps below." Is this correct and if so how hard is it to get a landlord to do?

thanks in advance.

cheers

My house had an existing, working TOT line and I had no problem getting a new line in from True, no permission required.

The True line was in my name.

Some landlords just try it on. :o

I can't comment on condos.

Same here. No permission required from the 'owner' to install broadband.

If you're renting a condo I don't know if you will be able to get broadband unless the condo has it's own private telephone line, not a line being channeled via a central switchboard.

thanks for the info guys.

If you're renting a condo I don't know if you will be able to get broadband unless the condo has it's own private telephone line, not a line being channeled via a central switchboard.

this is a good point. something I guess I should definitely check first.

And technically speaking, ADSL in Thailand is not broadband because it fails to meet the minimum speed requirement and quite rightly they don't call it that. You need 512kbps+ sustained speeds minimum, but usually you get just a small fraction of that regardless of what package you have. Thailand labels their service "hi-speed" and for all practical purposes whatever the package says your speed is, you won't get it. Just a fair warning.

I had to accept a slower ADSL package as the older telephone system in my area couldn’t provide the higher speeds I wanted.

The TOT technicians set the modem etc up for me and show up to fix any problems within an hour or so if called during business hours. They did take a few days to transfer the phone and ADSL when I moved buildings earlier this year.

I got Loxinfo no worries in my name. It now just has a slight problem of dropping out each day between 5:30pm and 6:30pm, real wierd.

A friend tried and were on the condo PABX, for dialing out they charge 5baht per minute as well so dialup wasnt even an option, they ended up with a AIS gsm handset on a plan where they can ring a AIS internet for a flat fee and connect via the handsets infrared/cable/bluetooth etc and is about 5baht per connection plus the ISP fee. Condos can be a real problem when they have their own PABX.

thanks again guys. I guess the other option if I run into too many problems with adsl (or its thailand equivalent :o ) I could try satellite with ipstar or something. Its quite expensive from what Ive researched tho and heard some mixed reviews about it. anyone actually use it over there?

There are numerous packages. I have their 512/256 'commercial' package B1900 per month, not cheap or particularly fast, but seems very reliable AND I get the rated speeds on international and P2P links (which seems to be a problem on the 'budget' packages).

Monty & Crossy - Thanks

Mijan24

There are numerous packages. I have their 512/256 'commercial' package B1900 per month, not cheap or particularly fast, but seems very reliable AND I get the rated speeds on international and P2P links (which seems to be a problem on the 'budget' packages).

I have same thing, but I am looking for a new provider. I signed up and I found that all KSC's web traffic goes throught their proxy servers - they basically have servers in the middle and you are getting cached access. I do not feel safe and I am concerned about privacy issues.

Some may say, I don't have to, but do you know, what they can get from their proxies? I work in IT and I'd never approve this if they would tell me this advance. This is my concern.

Even worst, if this IP gets blocked (credit card fraud and so on) you are screwed and you won't buy anything on the net!

Paying almost 2000B for proxy access, that is not what I want.

Bye,

Vlad

It's common practice, actually, for nearly all ISPs (Thai or otherwise) to use transparent proxies. Basically they're proxies that you don't need to set, and all HTTP traffic is redirected seamlessly to them. They help reduce traffic, and normally their operation is "transparent" to the end user, hence the name.

With Thai ISPs, it's even more necessary, because of the government policies of block "inappropriate" sites. So... doesn't really matter which ISP you switch to, you'll still be proxied in some way or another.

I'm really surprised that KSC has good performance. I went to their offices once, and it wasn't a pretty sight. Their track record hasn't been spectacular either. Crossy, can you do some speed tests at speakeasy, mcafee, and others?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, imnewhere.gif

Will be relocating to Thailand soon. As i will only be doing freelance work, i don't have a work permit. My landlord refused to apply for a telephone line for me. Is there any way that i can apply for broadband then as i will need to use the internet quite frequently. Thanks!

Guest Reimar
Hi, imnewhere.gif

Will be relocating to Thailand soon. As i will only be doing freelance work, i don't have a work permit. My landlord refused to apply for a telephone line for me. Is there any way that i can apply for broadband then as i will need to use the internet quite frequently. Thanks!

Where you will life in Thailand?

If in Bangkok, try Hutch or DTAC via Handy.

Hutch work on CDMA signal and within BKK the speed is ok, aroung 150 - 200 kbps. DTAC use GSM 1800 and the speed is around 150 kbps. Cost per month umlimited is just below THB 1,000.00

Another possibility is IP-Star but the cost much higher and the possibility of problems very high while the technical service from some of that companies is bad! for more info about IP-Star check: http://www.csloxinfo.com; http://www.tot.com; http://samart.com.

Hi, imnewhere.gif

Hutch work on CDMA signal and within BKK the speed is ok, aroung 150 - 200 kbps. DTAC use GSM 1800 and the speed is around 150 kbps. Cost per month umlimited is just below THB 1,000.00

Another possibility is IP-Star but the cost much higher and the possibility of problems very high while the technical service from some of that companies is bad! for more info about IP-Star check: http://www.csloxinfo.com; http://www.tot.com; http://samart.com.

If the landlord said no to a phone line, I think IPStar is probably out of the question too. (Last I heard, you needed to have a concrete slab poured for the dish to be sited on.)

Guest Reimar

Hi, imnewhere.gif

If the landlord said no to a phone line, I think IPStar is probably out of the question too. (Last I heard, you needed to have a concrete slab poured for the dish to be sited on.)

I've a friend he've IP-Star as well on hims balcony on top of a havy piece of steel!! Looks a bit funny but i works. He've same problems with hims landlord!!

Hi, imnewhere.gif

Can't you get a Thai friend to apply for you? Many people do this...

Forget iPSTAR. It's a nightmare.

--Lannig

I don't think you can get a friend to apply for you if the landlord won't help. The ISP is going to want to see a copy of the housepapers etc. with a signature of your landlord and a copy of his ID card.

Your landlord is probably concerned you are going to do a runner leaving him stuck with a large bill, that's most likely why he won't play ball. Try having a chat to him and see if you can come to some arrangement e.g. pay a substantial deposit to allay his concerns. Make sure he knows how important it is that you have an internet connection, mention that without one you will simply have to find somewhere to live that has one. If the landlord is elderly then try to have one of his children present who might better be able to explain to him the importance of internet. Having an internet connection will be an added feature when looking for future tennants.

As mentioned earlier, it's something you're best off sorting out out before moving in. The other problem that arises is when there aren't any suitable lines available due to over demand in which case there may be nothing you can do but wait for a line to become available.

Edited by penguin

And technically speaking, ADSL in Thailand is not broadband because it fails to meet the minimum speed requirement and quite rightly they don't call it that. You need 512kbps+ sustained speeds minimum, but usually you get just a small fraction of that regardless of what package you have. Thailand labels their service "hi-speed" and for all practical purposes whatever the package says your speed is, you won't get it. Just a fair warning.

Love to know your definition (minimum speed requirements, etc.) of ''broadband'' in this context ... (the US FCC minimum upload speed of 200 Kbps perhaps?).