I'm not a dictator, says angry Prayut

Lite Beer

Mr PM if the country was Democratic in the first place these thieves that have been robbing it blind would be busting big rocks into little rocks, The entire police force would bet tore down top to bottom. These rich elite's would be in prison serving hard time for killing of police officer. These dog and pony finger pointing photo ops would be a thing of the past. Thaskin would have his family jewels in a vise by now in some dark hole. The trouble in the south would be over. Just to name a few. Oh And Thai's would respect the law or do the time there choice.

• Like 1

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I am ready to listen to any problem. They should tell me. But don't ask for democracy or an election now. I can't give it to you," he said.

he can,but he does not want

"I Can't"

Considering all matters at present, there may be a lot more to this statement than meets the eye. If big things change suddenly around here, I would much rather have the military in the power seat than the other wimpy alternatives.

"I can't", may truly mean he can't, but not for the reasons you propose, and moreover for reasons that preserve and keep the integrity of the country from falling apart in the event of...

You may end up liking him and thanking him some day for being there with his armed men and tanks and keeping vandals and hooligans from ransacking your neighborhood.

• Like 2

I'm waiting for the Dusit Survey that will find 98% of 1,200 people polled do not believe Gen. Prayuth is a dictator.

He previously told European investors on Aug 27, 2014 at the Army's Bangkok headquarters that he was not a dictator. He emphasized, "We are not dictators that just order whatever ..."

I'm not a dictator, says angry Prayut

A dictator tells the nation what to do based on their own personal preferences. Like telling the nation what kind of soap operas to watch...and even writing/suggesting the plot/storylines.

You're a dictator. Enjoy and shut up.

"He also warned that the students future could be jeopardized if they had a problem with the law"

Care to clarify that one?

Is that a veiled threat to these young law students and other students that your future is on the line if you protest?

Stop reporting bad things about me, AND STOP CALLING ME A DICTATOR.....

Attitude,

adjustment of thinking

meetings in army camps

Certain books

three fingered salute

certain movies

free media

family's wealth

93% are happy

almost all the rice is rotten

if you ask those questions YOU will destabilize the country

you can't criticize me

if you not beautiful then you can wear a bikini on the beach

My rings have names

you forget...please i beg you,dont go digging anything up

:0)

"The government and the NCPO have never thought of using force towards the press, but all we are seeking is your cooperation and respect for the law," he said."

Crikey - what about the lawfully elected government?

"Crikey - what about the lawfully elected government that were acting illegally and unlawfully?"

There you go, sentence completed.

Respect for the law will be something new, as would democracy.

Democracy is of course underpinned by the concept of the "rule of law" and Thailand has never truly been governed by such a principle.

The previous democratic government was called by their opponents a parliamentary dictatorship in that they were changing "THE law" and effectively operating by the concept of "rule by law". The same concept every dictator rules by. The same concept that allows the head of police to threaten students for having an alternate view. It's conceptualy simple. Simply pass a law and require everyone to comply or their acts are unlawful. It can lead to unfettered tyranny.

Unfortunately what the current government is doing via its proposed new constitution is to enforce its on views on people as "THE law" and then when/if it hands back to a democratically elected parliament they would seek that such a parliament is hamstrung by laws that make any real changes in Thailand nigh on impossible. Ideas such as "populist policies being subject to sign off by the (stacked) Electoral commission" are attempts to govern in default regardless of who is elected. Similar to the position of having a military that acts separately to the government. A military not answerable to its own parliament (people).

Until Thailand has a genuine constitution that reflects the will of all the people and, as such, has "rule of law" and institutions that operate under that principle any democracy will be flawed. Fundamental to such a constitution is that the lowliest person from deepest darkest Isaan has exactly the same rights and obligations as "khon dii" ....

A democracy operating under rule of law, at worst, restricts the power of those in authority. The current situation does not. By extension the current situation is worse.

Edited by sandrew33
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"I am ready to listen to any problem. They should tell me. But don't ask for democracy or an election now. I can't give it to you," he said.

"I Can't"

Considering all matters at present, there may be a lot more to this statement than meets the eye. If big things change suddenly around here, I would much rather have the military in the power seat than the other wimpy alternatives.

"I can't", may truly mean he can't, but not for the reasons you propose, and moreover for reasons that preserve and keep the integrity of the country from falling apart in the event of...

You may end up liking him and thanking him some day for being there with his armed men and tanks and keeping vandals and hooligans from ransacking your neighborhood.

"Can't" means he is not capable.

I believe that he capable even if it is by simple decree.

"Won't" means he is capable but will not.

If you are sane and rational, YOU'LL have to admit that the Country is WORKING a whole lot better since he took over.

Give the guy a chance. Or would you prefer to go back to Rice-Pledging and associated scams?

Any examples of that better working country ?

I don't mean the loose promises that all failed, but actual changes.

"The government and the NCPO have never thought of using force towards the press, but all we are seeking is your cooperation and respect for the law," he said."

In my opinion, the elected government weren't doing a great deal. At least we are now seeing some sensible implementations of already existing laws, created by previously elected governments. The problem was that everyone who stood to make a bit of money, looked the other way.

Beaches are cleaned up, taxi drivers are hopefully acting as per the law, illegal squatters of 'developments' in national parks are being removed, even footpaths are being cleared for their intended purpose.

Hopefully one day we will see corruption at least reduced, and the ordinary working man or woman can get on and earn a living without having to line the pockets of others.

From what I've read here on these pages, there is corruption from government offices way down to those supposedly protecting the people, the traffic, and upholding the law.

In my opinion, the elected government weren't doing a great deal. At least we are now seeing some sensible implementations of already existing laws, created by previously elected governments. The problem was that everyone who stood to make a bit of money, looked the other way.

Beaches are cleaned up, taxi drivers are hopefully acting as per the law, illegal squatters of 'developments' in national parks are being removed, even footpaths are being cleared for their intended purpose.

Hopefully one day we will see corruption at least reduced, and the ordinary working man or woman can get on and earn a living without having to line the pockets of others.

From what I've read here on these pages, there is corruption from government offices way down to those supposedly protecting the people, the traffic, and upholding the law.

That is a VERY optimistic take on what this government has done.....

Certainly it has cracked down on some corruption in some areas in which those benefitting under such corruption may have leaned one way politically ... it's work on MC taxi drivers being a local BKK example....

Has it similarly cracked down in Chon Buri? Not really, they are allowed to resolve matters themselves under the watchful eyes of the military ... Who "may" take stronger action if necessary ... Maybe ....

I think a more realistic view is that some aspects of the system of patronage (or corruption as those coarse folk describe it) may be being reorganised/realigned but beyond that perhaps not much is really changed....

Obviously some will disagree. Alternate views are welcome ... by me at least :)

• Like 1

As a farang who has no political history or bias in Thailand, it's pretty clear to me that the country was running under a virtual dictatorship when Mr T was in charge. The 310:0 amnesty vote proved that. It is a shocking testament to Thai society that every single MP in the government was bought. Of course that is because they were all selected at the Dubai interview for that very reason.

If people cannot see that Prayuth is genuinely doing what is right to try and recover the mess Pheu-Thai and the UDD created, they are either stupid and/or (probably 'and') actually want a government which buys their support by actively encouraging corruption, cheating and scamming.

The most amusing part is all those in the Thai media crying foul who kept quiet while Pheu-Thai did the same things 10 times worse. Respect = zero. I particularly see it from Bangkok Post who I thought were quite good when I first came here. It's clear someone high up took Mr T's shilling.

• Like 1

I really worry about the intelligence of these people sometime.

"I am not a dictator" .. he says, but his soldiers go to a school/university and tell the to cancel a seminar! ??

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha did well, as an army General, to stop the Red Shirt attacks earlier this year, and bring the place to order. But he is not the Prime minister that we need now. It is time for him to set a date for his departure from office, and allow democracy to take over. The world would look well upon such a move and thank him.

In the mean time, can someone please give him a nudge and tell him that Thailand is not China, Bangkok is not Hong Kong?

"I am not a dictator" .. he says, but his soldiers go to a school/university and tell the to cancel a seminar! ??

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha did well, as an army General, to stop the Red Shirt attacks earlier this year, and bring the place to order. But he is not the Prime minister that we need now. It is time for him to set a date for his departure from office, and allow democracy to take over. The world would look well upon such a move and thank him.

In the mean time, can someone please give him a nudge and tell him that Thailand is not China, Bangkok is not Hong Kong?

Thai society is incapable of producing the calibre of individual Thailand needs as PM right now. Prayuth is the least worst option.

That is a VERY optimistic take on what this government has done.....

Certainly it has cracked down on some corruption in some areas in which those benefitting under such corruption may have leaned one way politically ... it's work on MC taxi drivers being a local BKK example....

Has it similarly cracked down in Chon Buri? Not really, they are allowed to resolve matters themselves under the watchful eyes of the military ... Who "may" take stronger action if necessary ... Maybe ....

I think a more realistic view is that some aspects of the system of patronage (or corruption as those coarse folk describe it) may be being reorganised/realigned but beyond that perhaps not much is really changed....

Obviously some will disagree. Alternate views are welcome ... by me at least smile.png

You have TAXIS in BKK? Can't help wondering where they are here in Chiang Mai, and no buses either.

There's a faint whiff of something in the air...

If you are sane and rational, YOU'LL have to admit that the Country is WORKING a whole lot better since he took over.

Give the guy a chance. Or would you prefer to go back to Rice-Pledging and associated scams?

Any examples of that better working country ?

I don't mean the loose promises that all failed, but actual changes.

High so brats are still getting away with murder.

Police are still corrupt (although tbf that is deep rooted)

Populist policies are being replaced with.....populist policies

Questions about large assets are met with scorn

A bunch of corrupt crooks has been replaced by self serving dinosaurs. The only thing that has really changed is the face of the people in charge.

• Like 1

No, he is not a Dictator, he is busy in the USA, but will be available in a couple of years !!

I have been allowed to live here for 11 years with my beautiful wife and enjoy Thailand, although it gets on you nerves after a while, so go away and come back.

There has not been a Democracy here in those 11 years, with bought votes and high level of corruption. There is not a high level of education among a large portion of the citizens. They are like children who follows the latest trend and hand out.

YOU NEED TO LET THIS PLAY OUT. Thailand did not get this bad in a few months and the cure will take a while.

Of course if you do not like it here, you are free to leave.

My biggest concern is about the Terrorist in the South, you know the "Peaceful Religion Group"!! My concerns about this is for the whole World !!

Many of those replying have no clue how the present government has set up this temporary government. Do not complain or protest about things you have no clear knowledge of. I do not know everything but I do know that there are facilities available to the public to address complains and matters which are in the interest of the public. These have by the way already proven their success.

Most are forgetting the damage past governments have done in about the last decade or so. Fixing a country in distress is not a one day job. Wait for the new

Constitution which will be up for a referandum.

I do not say I agree with everything this government says or does but it does bring the country closer to a stable one where at a new chosen government which stands for democracy will be checked or held responsible through a decent checks & balance by the public.

Also as moderators say be carefully to accuse anyone without prove or grounds to do so.

• Like 1

The opposition are not so different with the propaganda red villages and road markers signalling a PTP / red shirt area. People can vote, so what? the fat pigs still sing while the citizens continue to rot, everyone still the same same. Only time will tell, as I have mentioned before changes like this will only benefit the society as politicians will start to clean up their acts when an iron fist is running the show.

Many westerners can't get over the idea of no voting rights and silly things like three finger salute, I agree. But if you think like a Thai, an overwhelming 50 plus percent thing we should release all corrupt politicians from 10 years ago so that the country can return to peace. If we have politicians and citizens thinking like that, the country is clearly moving backwards with "Democracy", its just a feel good world that means nothing in Thailand until laws can be enforced.

Edited by mike324

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha asserted yesterday that his government was not dictatorial although he admitted that it "may not be 100 per cent democratic".

"I may not be 100 per cent democratic. But I want to ask if being 100 per cent democratic did anything good to the country? Find the answer for me," he added, appearing tense.

Thaksin supporters should like this guy, they have very much the same opinions of democracy, after all who said "democracy was never the end goal". At least Prayut wants democracy someday.

Prayuth wants democracy someday

Well, that's one way of looking at the coup leader's actions to date. Pardon me if I don't share your optimism.

One only has to look at the link I posted yesterday written by a Professor in Politics and International Studies about the 2007 coup and resulting constitution. The constitution, ironically, that this junta is now rewriting to further weaken the power of the Executive and increase the power of the military's hold over Thai politics in the future. What he said with relation to 2007 is equally relevant to the process happening now.

Immediately following the coup, the military junta set about drafting a constitution to replace the one it had thrown out. While it established a complex selection system for members of the Constitutional Drafting Assembly and Committee, the result was bodies intent on a charter that would prevent another Thaksin-dominated government.

The 2007 charter was born of both coup and stern military supervision. It was a mammoth 309-article draft that weakened the executive branch, removed considerable decision-making power to the bureaucracy and judiciary, transformed the senate from an elected body to one that was half-appointed, and enhanced the military’s political role and budget.

http://www.asiasentinel.com/politics/thailand-judiciary-politicized/

• Like 2

Well if they have an election now before all the crap from before has been cleared out thailand will go back to corruption as usual. They have fixed a lot of things but I'm still waiting for them to deal with the head of the snake. My concern is that it feels likely as time passes by.

Thai society is incapable of producing the calibre of individual Thailand needs as PM right now. Prayuth is the least worst option.

So your first posts says you have no political bias in Thailand but your second says that Thais aren't capable of producing "the calibre of individual Thailand needs as PM" and "Prayuth is the least worst option".

That smacks of both bias AND prejudice English John.