The Real Measure of a Good Teacher.

thequietman

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OP your problem lies in the fact that as pig-headed as you are, you think yourself above the rules of the school.

If the school says you should wear that which they provide - presumably free of charge - and yet you don't, yes, you do lose out in the popularity contest in which you seem to think you are.

Griping because someone else obeys the rules is childish and really does show that you are less of a person that the teacher who obeyed the rules.

So the message here is obey. Don't think too much do what you're told. Forgive me but how exactly does blind obedience make one a better person? Maybe you could school us on the finer points of good moral character?

Dear Mr toooa, It's not about the teacher! It's a little like the army........you know "yes sir, no sir, 3 bags full sir!" They pay the money, you entertain a class.....what's the problem? Calm down, chill out, it'll all be over one day thumbsup.gifwai.gif

You can tell who the good ones are by walking past there class room occasionaly. Are the students looking at the teacher. Is the teacher teaching or just using worksheets. Takes at least 18 months in my opinon to be a good esl teacher. Unfortunatly too many dont hang around at govt schools that long hence the bad rep.

Asia puts a greater emphasis on the company uniform than do most Western countries. Outside of Asia, I have never hired or had much of a comment made on what someone wore to an interview. In Asia, it is sometimes the first comment and the deciding factor.

I had a very nice, well trained and experienced teacher who arrived from overseas and had an appointment which allowed him no time to check into a hotel. He came from the airport to the school and did an excellent demonstration and had an excellent interview. The Thai admin did not approve of his apparel -- and he was not poorly dressed. He had on dress-type pants, trainers and a button down shirt, but no tie. Not good enough for them.

Regardless of what we think, dress is more important in Asia and I am not careful to let people know the dress code which will get them through without negative comments.

The Thai admin do not like confrontation and they see themselves as bosses in a stricter sense. Questioning a decision is seen as insubordination most of the time. Asking questions is seen as questioning their authority.

If you are a good teacher then emphasize that and center on that strength. Leave your more eccentric qualities at home and if you have questions and comments try to direct them to someone who can give you guidance on how to approach it.

In order to win the war, sometimes you have to lose a few battles.

I will admit that I have a huge flaw. I have always had it and the Thai teachers notice it, as does the head of the English department. I am surprised I have lasted as long as I have.Six years on continuous contracts is beyond normal. I am always accused of being a bad teacher, a trouble maker, a person who does not run with the other sheep.

My downfall is that I take my job seriously. I know I shouldn't and my fellow foreign teachers have warned me time and time again - 'stop trying to be a teacher, it will do you no good." It's only recently that I am beginning to get the message and understand how education works here. I now try to relax, stay calm, rid myself of morals and work ethic, leave my balls at the school gate, act like a monkey, be a 'Yes' man but don't do it anyway and now all seems to fall into place.

However, the odd time I still get upset and this is one occasion. There is no budget for paper, pens, markers, ink, internet BUT there is money for another addition to the uniforms. When it was pointed out to me that I should take one as they are free, I told them it wasn't free and it was coming out of the English department budget. Money that could be spent where it is needed. It went right over their heads and all I got was looks of disbelief and then they said it again, 'but it's free....'

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh blink.pngw00t.gifbah.gif

It does take a while of actual teaching to learn many techniques.

Unfortunately, with the maximum of 4 teaching years before needing a credential, I predict the rapid teaching turn over rate to increase.

I have seen a teacher keep all the students engaged with his jokes and the students loved him and everyone got good grades because of his wonderful teaching techniques but very little knowledge was given.

I think it is humorous when after taking a 3 week training course people take the prestigious title of TEFL certified and expect high salary. A small effort compared to a university degree.

Edited by brianp0803
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, with the maximum of 4 teaching years before needing a credential, I predict the rapid teaching turn over rate to increase.

I have seen a teacher keep all the students engaged with his jokes and the students loved him and everyone got good grades because of his wonderful teaching techniques but very little knowledge was given.

I think it is humorous when after taking a 3 week training course people take the prestigious title of TEFL certified and expect high salary. A small effort compared to a university degree.

Yep pretty much this. At my school the kids always yell for "vi dee yooooo teachaaaa" and "teachaaaaaaa gaaaameeee". I'm not entirely sure, but I'm pretty convinced they've done this at least half the teaching hours in the classroom with their previous instructors. As they are entering upper primary, I have little time for such and have said they get those things at the end of a unit as a possible reward. Nevertheless, not a day goes by now that I don't hear them mention the previous teachers name and a bunch of thai (I'm sure it's oh man we sure miss Mr. X).

Shilling a product here is pretty much the name of the game, and I don't play it. I'm sure my time is limited ;p

Yep pretty much this. At my school the kids always yell for "vi dee yooooo teachaaaa" and "teachaaaaaaa gaaaameeee". I'm not entirely sure, but I'm pretty convinced they've done this at least half the teaching hours in the classroom with their previous instructors. As they are entering upper primary, I have little time for such and have said they get those things at the end of a unit as a possible reward. Nevertheless, not a day goes by now that I don't hear them mention the previous teachers name and a bunch of thai (I'm sure it's oh man we sure miss Mr. X).

Shilling a product here is pretty much the name of the game, and I don't play it. I'm sure my time is limited ;p

Why does that sound so familiar? Teeechaaa/........................gaamesss..................took quite a while that the kids, now in grade six only played weird games in grade five.These lessons were in no way related to a topic the guy taught. He had no topics, neither a lesson planned.

Edited by lostinisaan

It's a game here and it's a game in the UK just with different but similar rules

Be your own man or woman, stick to you principles (forged during your own education and experience as a new, developing and seasoned teacher)

Be prepared to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous managers, especially in Thailand OR hold your tongue, follow the money and realise that it when all is said and done it's a job.

Managers will be doing little, contributing less, hiring their girlfriends on exorbitant salaries, cheating, awarding passing grades to failing kids, parents will think they can question the pedagogy of teachers despite it being supported by several degrees, teaching certificates, years of experience etc . . long after you are dead and gone. The rise of the manager is only at it's beginning ha ha

In fact, be happy . . .after you are gone . . .it will only continue to get worse!

Get out Now! Never look back!

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291298564831?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

Image is everything! I tried to win the above suit at today's auction.

Seriously though, one can hardly over estimate stuff like this. Me wearing jeans one ay led to an official rebuke, being passed on from high up. Another example was an observation. forget reaching the students and making them participate. No. I should have ordered them to clean the classroom for some 15 minutes as top priority - forget actual teaching.

Why do you think many folks rent a cheap condo and then lease a Mercedes for millions of Bath?!?

• 3 weeks later...

At the university where I teach we are evaluated by the students at the end of every semester.

Our contract renewal depends on us getting good evaluations.

Some of the questions are something like this:

Is the teacher late? (How can they answer that when more than 50% of them are always late?)

Does the teacher use Facebook, Line and You tube in his teaching?

Are the rooms well equipped? (yes that also influences our evaluation.)

Other criteria:

Do we attend staff meetings, lectures, merit making outings?

Do we speak Thai or are learning to speak Thai?

Oh my actual interview went something like this.

Do you have Thai girlfriend? (I think 3 teachers asked me that during the interview)

Do you like Thai food?

There was nothing (and I mean nothing!) about my teaching qualifications or experience.

So what is the real measure of a good teacher?

Just fit in and make the Thai teachers and students happy.

The essential qualities of a good foreign teacher in Thailand:

- wear the right colour

- never argue and always agree with everything

- never try to scold students

- participate in all kinds of unpaid school activities, such as English camp, farewell parties, temple visits etc

- be brown-nosed

- act like a buddhist

• 1 month later...

So quit. Those are the rules.

Really funny how many single men take teaching jobs in Thailand. Then whine about the costume, the gate duty, the activities, the hours.

Instead of doing the job, most just don't do it and hope for the best. Sime just don't have their act together enougb to do it.

Its Thailand. Go home and work at McDonalds maybe you'll like the rules and unifirms better there.

Nothing more dishonest than experienced teachers taking jobs knowing how each day is a game to spend as little time on campus, in the classroom and mixing with Thais as possible.

Both these situations are not good. The first is some guy NOT teaching but running his mouth, it sounds there is no learning snd zero intetaction.

The second is the situation most likely following a lazy, brain dead, burned out teacher that has nitbing to offer and has spent every minute possible showing a movie snd running bsck to the office to nurse his hangover in the AC. Sad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291298564831?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

Image is everything! I tried to win the above suit at today's auction.

Seriously though, one can hardly over estimate stuff like this. Me wearing jeans one ay led to an official rebuke, being passed on from high up. Another example was an observation. forget reaching the students and making them participate. No. I should have ordered them to clean the classroom for some 15 minutes as top priority - forget actual teaching.

Why do you think many folks rent a cheap condo and then lease a Mercedes for millions of Bath?!?

You cant wrar jeans in a classroom ftw you thinkin!?

Why does that sound so familiar? Teeechaaa/........................gaamesss..................took quite a while that the kids, now in grade six only played weird games in grade five.These lessons were in no way related to a topic the guy taught. He had no topics, neither a lesson planned.

Yessss, the gamez teachers...not as bad as the video monsters, but equally pathetic.

At the university where I teach we are evaluated by the students at the end of every semester.

Our contract renewal depends on us getting good evaluations.

Some of the questions are something like this:

Is the teacher late? (How can they answer that when more than 50% of them are always late?)

Does the teacher use Facebook, Line and You tube in his teaching?

Are the rooms well equipped? (yes that also influences our evaluation.)

Other criteria:

Do we attend staff meetings, lectures, merit making outings?

Do we speak Thai or are learning to speak Thai?

Oh my actual interview went something like this.

Do you have Thai girlfriend? (I think 3 teachers asked me that during the interview)

Do you like Thai food?

There was nothing (and I mean nothing!) about my teaching qualifications or experience.

So what is the real measure of a good teacher?

Just fit in and make the Thai teachers and students happy.

Yes, you are right. And it's funny; I am constantly reading articles about how the Thai education system is a complete failure and needs reform etc.

I started out in a Thai school; loved teaching but was completely disgusted with all of the things I experienced (much of it mentioned on this thread).

I wound up getting certified in my home country and now work in the international school arena.

I can assure you; qualified or not; I would not hire anyone who has worked at a Thai school too long. Anyone who would put up with that kind of garbage and purposely kowtow to attitudes and policies which run contrary to the whole purpose of education has no place in a real school.