The importance of Thailand for.....

benalibina

Our embassies/countries.

I was just wondering with all the recent topics on the newsforum, why our embassies are not really, and speedy, come up for our citizens abroad ?

I duly understand that they have to abide by the laws, culture of the host country but it seems like that can be at a high cost of our citizens, relatives too, who are in need, on various ways. Whether by their own doing or not.

So i ask ....what is the importance of Thailand through the western government eyes ?

Embassies / Consulates provide cushy jobs for all the foreign service personnel that work there, while they laugh at the plight of their countrymen they are supposed to service... As you can probably tell, I do not hold much respect for the embassies of my home country...

Embassies / Consulates provide cushy jobs for all the foreign service personnel that work there, while they laugh at the plight of their countrymen they are supposed to service... As you can probably tell, I do not hold much respect for the embassies of my home country...

I understand your point of view but i wonder why it is like it is....and more specific to Thailand. An other poster referred to countries worldwide but as this is thaivisa, i would like to understand why embassies here do not seem to come up and help citizens, relatives, of their own country who are in need of assistance.

I understand your point of view but i wonder why it is like it is....and more specific to Thailand. An other poster referred to countries worldwide but as this is thaivisa, i would like to understand why embassies here do not seem to come up and help citizens, relatives, of their own country who are in need of assistance.

Because that's not what an embassy does.

• Like 2

Because that's not what an embassy does.

Providing assistance to their nationals is most certainly what embassies/consulates are supposed to do, it is an important part of their responsibility.

• Like 2

I'm with Soi Biker and DFAT in Australia have gone to great pains to point out that if Australians get themselves into trouble overseas, they shouldnt expect Consular officials to ride in like knights on horseback. Like most parts of the massive bureaucracy in Canberra, they got someone to sit down with a HB pencil and a sheet of paper and put their roles and responsibilities in writing:

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/services/consular-services-charter.html

As this thread seems to be about the things they aren't doing for us, at least in the OP's eyes, they've even gone to the trouble of listing the things they wont do - bolding is mine. As others have said previously, they're a fairly useless bunch unless you need something like a notarised copy of a document or whatever.

We cannot:

• provide legal advice
  • intervene in private court proceedings or legal matters including employment disputes, commercial disputes and family law matters
  • investigate crimes or deaths overseas
  • provide or pay for search and rescue services (although we can help you arrange these services)
  • get you out of prison or seek special treatment for you
  • post bail or pay your fines or legal expenses
  • enforce an Australian or any other custody agreement overseas or compel a country to decide a custody case
  • provide or pay for medical or psychiatric services or medications
  • act as a travel agent, bank or post office, or store luggage
  • provide translation, interpreter, telephone or internet services
  • issue emergency loans, unless you have first exhausted other sources of support including insurance and family members
  • pay your pension or social security benefits
  • pay or guarantee payment of your hotel, medical or other bills
  • arrange visas, licences, work or residency permits for other countries or help you to obtain them
  • intervene in relation to customs or quarantine requirements and regulations of other countries
  • provide physical protection or security advice
  • accept responsibility for the custody or safe return of lost property.
  • Like 1

You have little or no idea how many cases a large europeanthe embassies have to deal with nation wide in a week of all sorts of problems big and small.

Lost passports, hospitalisations, arrests, people declared insane, the list goes on and on.

They would need an army of people to handle it all during high season and the munificence of the state doesnt extend to having extra people just sitting around to help you out in hospitak because you fell off with no insurance.

It ain't dinner parties and gin and tonics.

I'm with Soi Biker and DFAT in Australia have gone to great pains to point out that if Australians get themselves into trouble overseas, they shouldnt expect Consular officials to ride in like knights on horseback. Like most parts of the massive bureaucracy in Canberra, they got someone to sit down with a HB pencil and a sheet of paper and put their roles and responsibilities in writing:

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/services/consular-services-charter.html

As this thread seems to be about the things they aren't doing for us, at least in the OP's eyes, they've even gone to the trouble of listing the things they wont do - bolding is mine. As others have said previously, they're a fairly useless bunch unless you need something like a notarised copy of a document or whatever.

We cannot:

• provide legal advice
  • intervene in private court proceedings or legal matters including employment disputes, commercial disputes and family law matters
  • investigate crimes or deaths overseas
  • provide or pay for search and rescue services (although we can help you arrange these services)
  • get you out of prison or seek special treatment for you
  • post bail or pay your fines or legal expenses
  • enforce an Australian or any other custody agreement overseas or compel a country to decide a custody case
  • provide or pay for medical or psychiatric services or medications
  • act as a travel agent, bank or post office, or store luggage
  • provide translation, interpreter, telephone or internet services
  • issue emergency loans, unless you have first exhausted other sources of support including insurance and family members
  • pay your pension or social security benefits
  • pay or guarantee payment of your hotel, medical or other bills
  • arrange visas, licences, work or residency permits for other countries or help you to obtain them
  • intervene in relation to customs or quarantine requirements and regulations of other countries
  • provide physical protection or security advice
  • accept responsibility for the custody or safe return of lost property.

I don't believe it. I've never met an Aussie who was not anxious to give another person advice especially Americans.