Downtown creative space coming for Bangkok teens

Lite Beer

Downtown creative space coming for Bangkok teens
Pakamard Jaichalard
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Culture Ministry will arrange a space in downtown Bangkok so teenagers can express themselves creatively in a way that is similar to Tokyo's Harajuku area.

It is slated to commence next month.

Minister of Culture Weera Rotephotchanarat said the ministry had discussed the endeavour with the Ministry of Tourism and Sports, Pathumwan's shopping malls, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and the Children and Youth Council of Thailand.

Weera said it was hoped the Pathumwan space would promote constructive activities and lure teens away from computer games.

He said the space would possibly be located on Rama I Road, allowing convenient access, and the matter would be discussed further on Monday.

Weera made the comments during an inspection of Internet cafes and gaming shops in the Pin Klao area on Bangkok's Thon Buri side of the Chao Phraya River on Saturday.

It followed public complaints via the hotline 1765 about children using game shops as gathering places for vice.

Weera said the ministry would consult with relevant agencies about computer game ratings to make them clearer and more practical in a bid to ensure youths were playing appropriate games for their ages in order to promote their development.

He said he would instruct provincial culture offices to work with provincial governors to inspect gaming shops and report any problems to the ministry.

He said 905 Bangkok gaming shops had joined a strict regulation scheme called the White Game Shop.

Bangkok City had 6,602 registered game shops - about 4,000 of which would see their licence expired next year - while there were 14,274 registered shops in the remaining 76 provinces.

Gaming shop owner Watcharachai Piyawanich said his venue had cooperated with the Culture Ministry to prevent bad things happening there.

Watcharachai said that included checking IDs and installing CCTV cameras and a computer controlling programme that randomly checked young customers' internet browsing so that a warning could be issued if they had accessed inappropriate websites.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Downtown-creative-space-coming-for-Bangkok-teens-30248375.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-23

• Like 1

Express themselves creatively ?

What's the bet they simply sit around and play with their phones ?

If they do decide to express themselves it better be in an approved manner otherwise the area will become a collection point for attitude adjustment candidates.

Or a collection point for sex traffickers, child molestors and a drug sales outlet point. whistling.gif

• Like 1

How about this thread itself becomes positive and creative and full of great ideas for the kids?

Rather than . . . well . . . you know . . . . sad.png

OK.

Well first build a wall... and give them all spray cans... the graffito should be excellent, with Thai attention to artistic detail an' all. ;)

How about this thread itself becomes positive and creative and full of great ideas for the kids?

Rather than . . . well . . . you know . . . . sad.png

OK.

Well first build a wall... and give them all spray cans... the graffito should be excellent, with Thai attention to artistic detail an' all. wink.png

That is a good idea. I mean look at Banksy.

Skate park too. My kids no longer seem to walk but glide along everywhere. I'd have a go myself but there's a centre of gravity issue.

• Like 1

Express themselves creatively ?

What's the bet they simply sit around and play with their phones ?

If they do decide to express themselves it better be in an approved manner otherwise the area will become a collection point for attitude adjustment candidates.

Nearly. They will be attitude adjustment camps. Bit like Hitler Youth smile.png

Kudos to this initiative but I hope with all my heart that the space and the creativity won't be as synthetic as Tokyo's.

This comment sounds like someone who hasn't actually been to harajuku (at least not past the McD's). Or away from the sad sack keyboard for that matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Now we just need some Creative Thai Teenagers capable of raising themselves off the couch?

Sad sack alert. There are lots of bright active teens in bkk and everywhere else. Sorry to break that to you :'(

Obviously Irony and Humour, when combined are lost to you.

Here ... laugh.png ... does that help you now?

Now we just need some Creative Thai Teenagers capable of raising themselves off the couch?

Sad sack alert. There are lots of bright active teens in bkk and everywhere else. Sorry to break that to you :'(

Obviously Irony and Humour, when combined are lost to you.

Here ... laugh.png ... does that help you now?

This is you now --> sad.png This is what I wish for you this holiday season --> smile.png

• Like 1