parachute cord

papa al

Try the Navy Base on top of the hill between Pattaya and Jomtien, they will be able to tell you if there is a place in town or you may have to go to Sattahip way Utapao air base/International Airport. Or the Military shops around town selling all types of military clothes and hardware, they may be able to tell you.

Sorry but I'm a bit confused by your reply:

1. I'm to go to a navy base on top of some hill and find some English speaking person to tell me where to find the cord?

2. I'm to drive down to the international airport and ask them where to buy it?

Honestly, the chances of satisfaction at either of these approaches seems very remote to me.

I mean, it is difficult enough to find an associate in Big C who can direct me to the peanut butter.

3. Seems okay but I have failed to notice any of these military stores despite living here 3 years and riding my bike around a lot.

Edited by papa al

They have rolls of something that looks a lot like parachute cord in HomePro on Pattaya Klang. They sell it by the meter and there are a few different thicknesses available. I don't know if it's the genuine article and I'd be wary of jumping out of a plane with it, but it sounds like that may not be the purpose you had in mind.

If you need the real deal parachute cord, If you head out of town on Sukhumvit towards Sattahip there is a place on the left side before you get to Ban Amphur that has a few old military aircraft (and usually a jeep or too also) parked outside. They sell all kinds of army surplus gear - I would try here if the stuff at Homepro is no good.

Sorry but I'm a bit confused by your reply:

1. I'm to go to a navy base on top of some hill and find some English speaking person to tell me where to find the cord?

2. I'm to drive down to the international airport and ask them where to buy it?

Honestly, the chances of satisfaction at either of these approaches seems very remote to me.

I mean, it is difficult enough to find an associate in Big C who can direct me to the peanut butter.

3. Seems okay but I have failed to notice any of these military stores despite living here 3 years and riding my bike around a lot.

1. The Royal Thai Navy are on top, the highest point of Pratnmac Hill which is the hill between Pattaya and Jomtien, not hard to find or see from any direction around Pattaya or Jomtien. They do speak English.

2. The Utapao Air Base is run by the Royal Thai Navy and they have heaps of aircraft there, where I would imagine they supply the pilots with parachutes, you know just in case.

3. There are military stores in Pattaya and there is one on Siam Country Club Rd for a start. If you have lived here for 3 yrs and rode your bike around a lot? You don't take much notice of your surroundings or where the hill is.

4. The Peanut butter is in the Farang section at Big 'C' as every one knows.

• Like 1

Oze...

Thanks,

1. Will check it out soon. I remember the temple up there but somehow missed the navy thing.

2. I guess so. I'm a pilot but have never touched a parachute. Military is different of course.

3. Pattaya is a big place & Soi SCC is a long road. I try to look around but usually concentrate more on survival.

4. I didn't even know there was a farang section at Big C, so I guess everyone, including me, knows that now.

Oze...

Thanks,

1. Will check it out soon. I remember the temple up there but somehow missed the navy thing.

2. I guess so. I'm a pilot but have never touched a parachute. Military is different of course.

3. Pattaya is a big place & Soi SCC is a long road. I try to look around but usually concentrate more on survival.

4. I didn't even know there was a farang section at Big C, so I guess everyone, including me, knows that now.

No farang section in Big C where I live ( only 3 farangs, LOL ) However, they do have peanut butter, so I guess Thais like it.

They have rolls of something that looks a lot like parachute cord in HomePro on Pattaya Klang. They sell it by the meter and there are a few different thicknesses available. I don't know if it's the genuine article and I'd be wary of jumping out of a plane with it, but it sounds like that may not be the purpose you had in mind.

If you need the real deal parachute cord, If you head out of town on Sukhumvit towards Sattahip there is a place on the left side before you get to Ban Amphur that has a few old military aircraft (and usually a jeep or too also) parked outside. They sell all kinds of army surplus gear - I would try here if the stuff at Homepro is no good.

They now have a collection of fighter aircraft next to it, so you can't miss it

They now have a collection of fighter aircraft next to it, so you can't miss it

I went to this place with a sample and asked the clerk.

Of course he was all 'no hab.'

A few minutes later I noticed three spools of it.

15baht/meter.

Thanks all.

• Like 1

What you're looking for is probably parachute Nylon 550 8. We all used this back in the 1990's . Military paratroopers had 35 foot T-10 main parachutes and the cords were green like their main chutes. Their reserve chutes had white Nylon 550 type 8's. Most Air Force, Navy, and Marine pilot egress parachutes had white, also on their 28 foot ejection chutes. Now in the F-22 and F-18 and whatever, it's probably the smaller and more stronger lines that most military and sport parachutists are using now. I'm old school and I still have the old 550 lines on both my main rigs. They give a little on a hard opening but the new ones don't and the opening shock (if it's a quick one when the slider comes down before the canopy opens) goes straight to your harness and you see stars. So my point is I think you're looking for Nylon 550 lbs test strength 8. Most everything in aviation has a 50% built in test over what it is published to deliver. One strand of 550 Nylon will not fail at 550.

So to not keep you guessing, here in Pattaya I can give you a contact for a female British rigger in Suksavai Village, South Pattaya. She doesn't do too much parachute work anymore, but I bet she has rolls of what you're looking for and she loves animals. If you drive down the land office road, it deads into her place. You have to take a left or right. Look straight ahead, it's her house. Her email address is <<<< Email address removed >>>>.

All the replies for other places for surplus are not from a current skydiver. The only active sport skydiving place with a turbine jump plane (PC-6) is here in Pattaya www.thaiskyadventures.com. There are 3 riggers there but I don't know what rolls of lines they have.

If I were in the USA, there's an old retired Army special forces SGT Major in Alabama that has a basement of full of great stuff and he's just giving it all away because the future USPA Museum has warehouses of the old stuff. Miles of green 550 dacron green in huge surplus rolls.

So uh, are you looking to make clothes lines that last? Will you put over 550 pounds of wet clothes out to dry? If you put anything nylon out in the sun, it will rot really quick. So now that I have over-answered your question to the point of boring everyone (lol), what will you do with it?

Edited by metisdead
17) Do not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures. Web addresses to non-commercial sites/blogs, or Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses, may be posted in a member's profile
  • Like 1

What you're looking for is probably parachute Nylon 550 8. We all used this back in the 1990's . Military paratroopers had 35 foot T-10 main parachutes and the cords were green like their main chutes. Their reserve chutes had white Nylon 550 type 8's. Most Air Force, Navy, and Marine pilot egress parachutes had white, also on their 28 foot ejection chutes. Now in the F-22 and F-18 and whatever, it's probably the smaller and more stronger lines that most military and sport parachutists are using now. I'm old school and I still have the old 550 lines on both my main rigs. They give a little on a hard opening but the new ones don't and the opening shock (if it's a quick one when the slider comes down before the canopy opens) goes straight to your harness and you see stars. So my point is I think you're looking for Nylon 550 lbs test strength 8. Most everything in aviation has a 50% built in test over what it is published to deliver. One strand of 550 Nylon will not fail at 550.

So to not keep you guessing, here in Pattaya I can give you a contact for a female British rigger in Suksavai Village, South Pattaya. She doesn't do too much parachute work anymore, but I bet she has rolls of what you're looking for and she loves animals. If you drive down the land office road, it deads into her place. You have to take a left or right. Look straight ahead, it's her house. Her email address is <<<< Email address removed >>>>.

All the replies for other places for surplus are not from a current skydiver. The only active sport skydiving place with a turbine jump plane (PC-6) is here in Pattaya www.thaiskyadventures.com. There are 3 riggers there but I don't know what rolls of lines they have.

If I were in the USA, there's an old retired Army special forces SGT Major in Alabama that has a basement of full of great stuff and he's just giving it all away because the future USPA Museum has warehouses of the old stuff. Miles of green 550 dacron green in huge surplus rolls.

So uh, are you looking to make clothes lines that last? Will you put over 550 pounds of wet clothes out to dry? If you put anything nylon out in the sun, it will rot really quick. So now that I have over-answered your question to the point of boring everyone (lol), what will you do with it?

Classic.... Made me inhale my breakfast :)