Why do Fortuner's get a bad wrap?

David48

We are sort of steering away from my OP ... but that's OK ... there have been some great answers and I warmly appreciate that ... thumbsup.gif

If, down the track, I decide to buy one, a used one, I doubt I'd front up enough coin for a new one.

So, what sort of fuel economy would I get?

Does the 4WD version chew up much more?

AWD version?

I'm not even remotely an off-roader, but we have a roughish entry road to the Farm, maybe 3 klms long.

The Farm Father's 2WD 17 yo diesel Toyota pick-up does it regularly, but at a snails pace and with my hand on heart when it rains.

Apart from the Farm Road, most of the driving would be sealed rural roads with a little bit of the City Cycle thrown in.

I get roughly 12 km per liter on my drives to town. That is with my now two year old TRD Sportivo version which was top of the line at the time.

Horrible Drive the Fortuna.

I wish Toyota would offer the 200 Series Landcruiser in LOS. Now they're a nice drive for a SUV/4x4 IMO. Plenty of herbs too for those power junkies.

Base model (GX) would retail here for about 6 million.

How many do you reckon Toyota would sell ?

Edited by Don Mega

I've never seen one with a wrap. Maybe it was wrapped around a power pole? Maybe it was wrapped in something?

As for a bum rap, I don't know. tongue.png

Aussie slang ... sorry for that.

Maybe 'bad press'?

'Unfavourable reviews'?

'Not considered highly'.

Aussie slang or American slang or whatever, it's "bad rap," not "bad wrap." Try to keep up.

i thought they are only sold in asia and africa ,do not meet safety standards of USA and europe ,look at the ones in the toyota body shop ,but to drive i found it good ,rented car ,had two Toyotas ,never let me down ,Range Rover spent ,half its life on a recovery truck

• Like 1

You can see that some people who have Fortuners defend the criticism with the offensive that haters are jealous and cant afford them. But in order to get an answer to your question you need responses from people who don't like them, like me smile.png From my experience they have a high percentage of reckless dangerous drivers compared to other cars/SUV's etc. You see a high portion of speed freaks in Fortuners cutting through traffic flashing their lights at everyone and mums transporting kids around at 20kph who don't know how to use their mirrors. Of course you get many normal drivers too but from my experience driving on Thai roads, Fortuner (and Vios) drivers try to kill me the most! I always give them a bit of extra room due to the unpredictableness of their drivers.

Edited by alien365

For the hoi polloi it's the "look at me, look at me, I've made it" vehicle of choice.

What a load of crap ! People buy them because they do "What it says on the tin". It's a good reliable 4x4 vehicle, end of story and YES before you ask, I HAVE driven some very nice saloon cars before. Everyone to their own There are lots of very good vehicles out there and the Fortuner is one of them in Thailand in my humble opinion. I would not hesitate in buying another one

• Like 1

For the hoi polloi it's the "look at me, look at me, I've made it" vehicle of choice.

What a load of crap ! People buy them because they do "What it says on the tin". It's a good reliable 4x4 vehicle, end of story and YES before you ask, I HAVE driven some very nice saloon cars before. Everyone to their own There are lots of very good vehicles out there and the Fortuner is one of them in Thailand in my humble opinion. I would not hesitate in buying another one

clap2.gif .....................for sure KB has a strange way of looking at rides (and others).............sad.png

<snip> Of course you get many normal drivers too but from my experience driving on Thai roads, Fortuner (and Vios) drivers try to kill me the most! I always give them a bit of extra room due to the unpredictableness of their drivers.

alien365 ... may I ask ... what do you drive/ride?

<snip> Of course you get many normal drivers too but from my experience driving on Thai roads, Fortuner (and Vios) drivers try to kill me the most! I always give them a bit of extra room due to the unpredictableness of their drivers.

Sure, I have a Honda Amaze. Nice little eco car. I could write a review on it but in short I like it, I just wish I went for the manual as it sometimes takes a while for the 'turbo' to kick in on the auto. (by turbo I mean any sort of acceleration ;) )

Sure, I have a Honda Amaze. Nice little eco car. I could write a review on it but in short I like it, I just wish I went for the manual as it sometimes takes a while for the 'turbo' to kick in on the auto. (by turbo I mean any sort of acceleration wink.png )

Weeeeeell, if you drive/choose a pussies ride then I would expect you to run down any bigger ride...

Sure, I have a Honda Amaze. Nice little eco car. I could write a review on it but in short I like it, I just wish I went for the manual as it sometimes takes a while for the 'turbo' to kick in on the auto. (by turbo I mean any sort of acceleration wink.png )

Thanks for that.

hondaamaze_1371128565.jpg

Nothing wrong with that ... might be a bit difficult on my farm road, but suited for purpose.

Everyones ride is different.

If you are sweet in that ... great ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Weeeeeell, if you drive/choose a pussies ride then I would expect you to run down any bigger ride...

I know small cars here are seen as a bit girly. Doesn't bother me to be honest. Next car I'm thinking of buying is a Fortuner.... Nah, I'm actually tempted to buy a pick up as it always seems to flood in my area and the extra space in the back would be useful. But when I have time I will figure out whats best for me. If others don't like what I choose, no problem. It would be boring if we were all the same.

• Like 2

I know small cars here are seen as a bit girly. Doesn't bother me to be honest. Next car I'm thinking of buying is a Fortuner.... Nah, I'm actually tempted to buy a pick up as it always seems to flood in my area and the extra space in the back would be useful. But when I have time I will figure out whats best for me. If others don't like what I choose, no problem. It would be boring if we were all the same.

Weight distribution in a pick up is not always the best for wet/muddy driving.....

Weight distribution in a pick up is not always the best for wet/muddy driving.....

Seems ok in my 4x4

Since I am the 'source' of this truly inspirational thread (thanks david), I am chipping in.

Maybe because it's simply a Hilux posing as an SUV. Not that a Hilux is a sh1t vehicle, but it is simply a pick-up afterall, with a pick-up chassis, suspension, brakes etc

Very clever of Toyota to do this. Very stupid of the public if they think they are getting anything other than a pick-up posing as an SUV.

Not sure about the teacher connection - but that is one profession that are pretty high in the stupid stakes

I was not at all alluding to the mechanical similarities or differences between 'tunas and 'weegos' as that would only stir up the defensive, eurotrash, petrohead likes of Svis Geez and open a boring debate about coil springs and disk brakes. The only one contributing anything meaningful would then be the real, loy percent ching-ching petrolhead transam... as long as debate was purely about correct tire pressures and ignoring recommended service intervals.

The teachers were purely to link it to the OP in the original thread. Could have been a tuna full off Swedish lesbian nymphomaniacs and the effect would have been the same. Oh wait...

Fortuners have a bad rep-utation because of their reckless drivers that feel they own the roads.

LN

...is the correct answer. Especially the black ones, although the white ones with the faux 'sportivo' plastic fairing and lo-profile rubber are just as bad. They do tend to be the bumper-riding, headlamp-flashing, getouttamyway, dodge and weavers of the Thai highway.

When it comes to the dawdler in the outside lane or the one with the hazard flashers on in the middle lane or just plain stopped for no bloody reason in the nearside lane, it must be the Prius. Even it's name suggests that Toyota Co's naming department originally had Prick or Anus in mind. Must be something to do with being a halfbreed hybrid or something.

Brilliant conclusion to a brilliant thread. Well done to David48 too.

Seems ok in my 4x4

Yes 4x4 is better in wet conditions.....

attachicon.gifCARSJPG.jpg. A new contender in the Wannabe Race. China's Land Wind X7. Its upset Land Rover.... Fortuna Types will snap this up if sold here. About 55.K. $.U.S. cheaper than the genuine Evo.coffee1.gif

Wouldn't you just love to see someone like the BEEB's Top Gear put that up against a genuine Evoque.

Yes, but with LandRover's notorious build quality, it might not turn out the way you'd like. (US Top Gear had a 4x4 test where the range rover had water coming into the cab when it rained - from the light fixture of all things - so an electrical hazard as well...)

Back to the OP. I really like my Fortuner. It's great for the roads here, and has plenty of room for the kids. I prefer our x3 as a drivers car though, but the kids prefer the Fortuned, presumably because of the interior space and lots of cupholders.

I drove one a few times. My impression. Ok but ride was not fantastic despite no leaf springs. Rear storage area compromised by those fold seats. Would I take one over a crv? Yes because of the diesel engine option.

We removed the folding two back seats, no need to transport 7 people, so we have all the required storage department. CRV is lower driving, almost like a regular car, Fortuner is pick-up height level, so you see the road from way farther away. Would buy again, but this one (2012) is scheduled to last forever... Diesel engine running smoothly, consumption not terrific especially if you drive faster, but what a great vehicle !

please explain how you'd like to see weight distribution for a 4WD.....

Since I am the 'source' of this truly inspirational thread (thanks david), I am chipping in.

Maybe because it's simply a Hilux posing as an SUV. Not that a Hilux is a sh1t vehicle, but it is simply a pick-up afterall, with a pick-up chassis, suspension, brakes etc

Very clever of Toyota to do this. Very stupid of the public if they think they are getting anything other than a pick-up posing as an SUV.

Not sure about the teacher connection - but that is one profession that are pretty high in the stupid stakes

I was not at all alluding to the mechanical similarities or differences between 'tunas and 'weegos' as that would only stir up the defensive, eurotrash, petrohead likes of Svis Geez and open a boring debate about coil springs and disk brakes. The only one contributing anything meaningful would then be the real, loy percent ching-ching petrolhead transam... as long as debate was purely about correct tire pressures and ignoring recommended service intervals.

The teachers were purely to link it to the OP in the original thread. Could have been a tuna full off Swedish lesbian nymphomaniacs and the effect would have been the same. Oh wait...

Fortuners have a bad rep-utation because of their reckless drivers that feel they own the roads.

LN

...is the correct answer. Especially the black ones, although the white ones with the faux 'sportivo' plastic fairing and lo-profile rubber are just as bad. They do tend to be the bumper-riding, headlamp-flashing, getouttamyway, dodge and weavers of the Thai highway.

When it comes to the dawdler in the outside lane or the one with the hazard flashers on in the middle lane or just plain stopped for no bloody reason in the nearside lane, it must be the Prius. Even it's name suggests that Toyota Co's naming department originally had Prick or Anus in mind. Must be something to do with being a halfbreed hybrid or something.

the correct answer is #2 - the rest is just hot air.

• Like 1

I personally don’t give a shit who is offended by me driving a Fortuner, Its bought and paid for. (So have some of that.)

It all comes down to what you want and what is the best option for you not the "canteen cat" It was my choice at the time of purchase. After looking around and test driving what was available at the time. Reliable. Safe. Good handling. Power, Reasonable service prices every 10.000 kl overall good economy (if you are wearing lead boots forget economy)

I live in Phetchabun which is surrounded by mountains so if I go anywhere it’s a trip over them. So power comfort and good handling are the key factors in my liking of this vehicle. And the fact that you can carry 6 people in comfort. I don’t personally know what its like to travel in the back as my seat come with a round wheel in front of me.
It’s not a status symbol. And for all those out there knocking them it’s called envy, You drive what you wish to drive and buy what you can afford. We are not clones, because if we were we would all be driving the same boring vehicle and living the same boring life. So stop knocking the Toyota Fortuna put you hand in your pockets and buy one because you know it’s secretly what you want. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Like 1

I'm very happy with my Fortuner, thank you. Had it for a year now and haven't had a problem ... at least not yet. Given it's relatively inexpensive price ... 1.5M baht ... I say it's a pretty good deal.

I'm sure there are some here who'll say the opposite ... but maybe they got a bad one, or I got a particularly good one. Anyway, I definitely recommend them.

BTW ... it's spelled "bad rap" not "wrap."

• Like 1