Seven Thai police officers, civilian admit guilt

webfact

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes I am reminded of U.S. current political back and forth when reading the red/yellow points here. Look, cut through the retoric...what is the issue? It is widespread corruption endemic in Thai society. OK, now go, how to solve the issue? How to catch up with those, still living, who have money in cash, and most importantly, I think, spread out in property investments that have been easier to hide than any bank accounts or more easily traced "paper trails"? Or do we say, ah, the problem is too large even to attempt to address?

I think the problem is that there is no willingness to solve the problem of corruption because everyone has their hands in the till and there is no sense of wrong doing, it's too far gone, no sense of morality be it in the temples,parliament or the police headquarters. The civil service, which should be the backbone of society rather like the sergeants in the army, is also thoroughly corrupt. So yes no hope.

Sometimes I am reminded of U.S. current political back and forth when reading the red/yellow points here. Look, cut through the retoric...what is the issue? It is widespread corruption endemic in Thai society. OK, now go, how to solve the issue? How to catch up with those, still living, who have money in cash, and most importantly, I think, spread out in property investments that have been easier to hide than any bank accounts or more easily traced "paper trails"? Or do we say, ah, the problem is too large even to attempt to address?

I think the problem is that there is no willingness to solve the problem of corruption because everyone has their hands in the till and there is no sense of wrong doing, it's too far gone, no sense of morality be it in the temples,parliament or the police headquarters. The civil service, which should be the backbone of society rather like the sergeants in the army, is also thoroughly corrupt. So yes no hope.

There is always hope though the end of the tunnel may currently be just a tiny pinprick of light.

I presented some ideas in post # . Here they are again:

1. Laws mandating transparency in government spending, including the military (excluding very limited, legitimate classified programs).

2. Laws mandating open competitive bidding on all government contracts, including military contracts.

3. Strict, and strictly enforced, laws against conflicts of interest for all government people, including those in the military.

4. Regular assets disclosures, including sources of wealth, for all government people, including those in the military.

5. Relaxation of libel and slander laws so the press can fulfill its proper function and report verifiable facts, even facts that embarrass the rich and powerful, without fear of retribution.

What do you think the chances are that laws like these will be part of the reforms?

Like the ideas for both Thailand and the U.S., although I recognize #5 speaks to Thailand. Chances of being passed into law? Well, since I agree, that is as good as a kiss of death to the ideas.

There is always hope though the end of the tunnel may currently be just a tiny pinprick of light.

With the military in charge the light at the end of the tunnel is probably an oncoming train.

I presented some ideas in post # . Here they are again:

1. Laws mandating transparency in government spending, including the military (excluding very limited, legitimate classified programs).

2. Laws mandating open competitive bidding on all government contracts, including military contracts.

3. Strict, and strictly enforced, laws against conflicts of interest for all government people, including those in the military.

4. Regular assets disclosures, including sources of wealth, for all government people, including those in the military.

5. Relaxation of libel and slander laws so the press can fulfill its proper function and report verifiable facts, even facts that embarrass the rich and powerful, without fear of retribution.

What do you think the chances are that laws like these will be part of the reforms?

Like the ideas for both Thailand and the U.S., although I recognize #5 speaks to Thailand. Chances of being passed into law? Well, since I agree, that is as good as a kiss of death to the ideas.

1 and 2 apply to most government contracts in the US. 3 and 4 apply to all civil service and military people in a position to influence government spending in the US. Elected officials have different rules, generally not as strict, but a combination of a free press and regular elections keep most of them from engaging in anything too blatant.

Suthep, the junta, and others have done a good job of scape-goating politicians as the source of all corruption, but actually it is in most (all?) aspects of government in Thailand. If reforms designed to prevent corruption apply only to elected officials and not the civil service and the military, as I suspect they will, then reforms will change the distribution of corruption, but not the level.

• Like 2