Overstay

Ok brilliant so nothing to worry about at the airport can I do it at imagination in the town I'm staying in so I can just breeze through at the airport ?

Sorry, if you think to know better, why you are asking here?

You have been told (of course correctly) that the way to handle the situation in which you've put yourself is to pay fine from the airport, not at the immigration office. The reason why may leave you surprised - you would be arrested and sent to a detention center.

Edited by paz

Paz you must be so bored to have to comment negativly I was just asking that's the idea of a forum you ask questions and people who no the answers tell. If you don't like my questions just don't write anything find somthing better to do with your time. Ubonjoe thank you so much really happy now. I've also read I may get banned for a year is this true ??

Paz you must be so bored to have to comment negativly I was just asking that's the idea of a forum you ask questions and people who no the answers tell. If you don't like my questions just don't write anything find somthing better to do with your time. Ubonjoe thank you so much really happy now. I've also read I may get banned for a year is this true ??

No negativity, just a comment on the attitude of your 2nd post, that is confirmed by the one above. You will find that as you are welcome to post here, others can comment as long it's civil.

Immigration announced new rules for overstay but they have never been approved by a higher authority. There is no one year ban now. An that would only of been if you had an overstay of more than 90 days or got caught with an overstay.

"You have to book the flight and check in for it to get where you pay the fine at departure immigration."

Suggest you book the flight ASAP and not leave doing this until you get to the airport. There is a risk (admittedly small) of your being stopped at an army/police checkpoint en route. However, if you can produce evidence of a confirmed flight booking out of Thailand you will probably be allowed to continue on your way despite the overstay. Otherwise you might land up in the IDC instead of BKK Departures.

Edited by OJAS

Ok brilliant so nothing to worry about at the airport can I do it at imagination in the town I'm staying in so I can just breeze through at the airport ? Thank you so much some people try and worry you about it

"can I do it at imagination in the town"

I don't imagine you could.

Ok, Ok. Sorry. I know that doesn't qualify as a "helpful" post, but It just seemed that typo/slip deserved some comment.

Edited by Suradit69

No negativity, just a comment on the attitude of your 2nd post, that is confirmed by the one above. You will find that as you are welcome to post here, others can comment as long it's civil.

Edited by lemonjelly

Point is nobody needs your comment on your imagined attitude of a post especially when you say things that are not true --- person asked a simple question about an option at doing at immigration and you responded as if somebody already told him he couldn't. The only thing of your post added is to give somebody an additional headache ... by definition that is being negative.

While certainly anyone can post, would be nice if people posting added value and not disruption.

Well said John it's so annoying when people instead of just keeping quiet having nothing better to do have to comment it's sheer lack of Bordem. But today has put my mind at rest so much thank everyone apart from Paz who's clearly got a lot of free time on he's hands

Point is nobody needs your comment on your imagined attitude of a post especially when you say things that are not true --- person asked a simple question about an option at doing at immigration and you responded as if somebody already told him he couldn't.

Hmm, no. Learn to read.
Sorry to see that the OP is bothered that I can choose what do with my time, just like he has chosen what to do with his 20,000 Bt smile.png
Edited by paz

Point is nobody needs your comment on your imagined attitude of a post especially when you say things that are not true --- person asked a simple question about an option at doing at immigration and you responded as if somebody already told him he couldn't.

Hmm, no. Learn to read.
Sorry to see that the OP is bothered that I can choose what do with my time, just like he has chosen what to do with his 20,000 Bt smile.png

Cheer up, grumpy........ biggrin.png

• Like 2

Point is nobody needs your comment on your imagined attitude of a post especially when you say things that are not true --- person asked a simple question about an option at doing at immigration and you responded as if somebody already told him he couldn't. The only thing of your post added is to give somebody an additional headache ... by definition that is being negative.

While certainly anyone can post, would be nice if people posting added value and not disruption.

The point is if he goes to local immigration they CAN decide to lock him up and send him to the IDC (immigration detention centre) pending court. He would then probably receive a fine and deportation to home country, if no funds to buy the ticket and pay fine. He would stay in IDC until he had. This is fairly well documented here on TV.

So OP there ya go, do you still want to go to your local immigration???

Hi there,

I recently overstayed by 1 day, I went to the local immigration office prior to the overstay and explained I wanted to stay the extra day, I was informed not to worry about 1 day. On arrival at the airport immigration pulled me into the office, charged me 500 THB and stamped my passport!! I now worry this may cause me problems returning or obtaining Visa's in the future....this was my first violation....any thoughts or advice is very welcome :-)

Hi there,

I recently overstayed by 1 day, I went to the local immigration office prior to the overstay and explained I wanted to stay the extra day, I was informed not to worry about 1 day. On arrival at the airport immigration pulled me into the office, charged me 500 THB and stamped my passport!! I now worry this may cause me problems returning or obtaining Visa's in the future....this was my first violation....any thoughts or advice is very welcome :-)

You don't mention which airport that was. Normally you do not pay a fine for an overstay of less than 24 hours at an airport.

Your overstay will have no effect on getting a visa or on entry to the country.

There have been people with much longer overstays (years) that have left the country, turned around and reentered the country or applied for visas without a problem.

• Like 1

Hi there,

You don't mention which airport that was. Normally you do not pay a fine for an overstay of less than 24 hours at an airport.

Your overstay will have no effect on getting a visa or on entry to the country.

There have been people with much longer overstays (years) that have left the country, turned around and reentered the country or applied for visas without a problem.

Good advice. I overstayed before and no issue re entering.

Ok that's good, I was at Phuket airport, I was surprised to receive a stamp in my passport, I was supposed to be out of Thailand by midnight 16-11-14 and received the stamp on 17-11-14 @ 16.00 :-(

If you had left from Bangkok you would not of paid the fine but you would of gotten a stamp stating you had an overstay of less than 24 hours.

It is immigration policy not to charge for an overstay of less than 24 hours but apparently Phuket has chosen not to go by that policy.