Overstay

Hi there,

I recently overstayed by 1 day, I went to the local immigration office prior to the overstay and explained I wanted to stay the extra day, I was informed not to worry about 1 day. On arrival at the airport immigration pulled me into the office, charged me 500 THB and stamped my passport!! I now worry this may cause me problems returning or obtaining Visa's in the future....this was my first violation....any thoughts or advice is very welcome :-)

Nah, the stamp in your passport just says you were fined and the amount of your fine, I had to pay about 3000 once because I had left my passport in my shirt and thrown my shirt into the washing machine, DOH, it takes so long to get a new passport so I couldn't get a visa until that time. I just explained it to them and then they took the money, stamped the passport, took copies of all the other stuff and that was it.

I guess if you had a lot of those stamps in your passport somebody who didn't like the look of you might want to make a problem for you but it's doubtful.

You're not going to be on a blacklist for a 1 day overstay, people overstay all the time.

I agree, I have no intention of breaking the law, I enjoy Thailand and would like to keep returning for many years to come, I was given bad advice, I should have contested the guy at immigration who said don't worry about 1 day....last thing I want is to be refused entry....but as previously stated it should not be a problem :-)

Just a few things to add to hopefully make it go smoother for you.

Don't dress like a bum, shower, shave etc or trim your beard.

If you show up looking like a Bob Marley wannabe, smelling like Osama Bin Laden that's been living in a cave, expect a little more scrutiny than if you show up looking like somebody with less than half a brain.

Don't look like a back-packer they could care less about. I mean, take a little pride in your appearance.

Smile a lot, show up an hour (or two) earlier than you normally would, smile at the passport lady or man, and say "I have overstay. I must pay fine" before they say "You have overstay, you must pay fine".

Next be prepared to go spend 20 minutes more or less taking care of the fine. Smile a lot & be patient (SHOW UP extra EARLY for your flight).

Pay the fine & head off to your flight.

I'd stay away from trying to extend it with 75 days over-stay. Just leave as described above as best you can, and as soon as you can.

• Like 1

Hi there,

I recently overstayed by 1 day, I went to the local immigration office prior to the overstay and explained I wanted to stay the extra day, I was informed not to worry about 1 day. On arrival at the airport immigration pulled me into the office, charged me 500 THB and stamped my passport!! I now worry this may cause me problems returning or obtaining Visa's in the future....this was my first violation....any thoughts or advice is very welcome :-)

You don't mention which airport that was. Normally you do not pay a fine for an overstay of less than 24 hours at an airport.

Your overstay will have no effect on getting a visa or on entry to the country.

There have been people with much longer overstays (years) that have left the country, turned around and reentered the country or applied for visas without a problem.

It depends indeed a lot of the airport and officer used when leaving the country.

When using Phuket airport you have to pay the first day fine almost all the time.

Unless you are lucky and encounter a officer in a good mood which is not very likely.

Thanks everyone do they shout or anything it is it straight forward can I book my flight before I go to the airport is it that simple ?

When it happened to me, about 36 days due to health reasons (not mine.)

I had given away several hundred dollars in baht minutes before. The overstay officer told me I had to pay in Baht. Was sure the ATM would not give any. It did, I paid, returned few months after, got married, happily ever after. Had I not burried the documents related to the Thai people I helped get health care. The officer told me he would have just let me pass. No harm, no foul. This was at the airport, BKK. I would not consider doing it any place else. You'll be fine.

Edited by nithisa78

Johnny, I had an 11 year overstay and did exactly as Ubonjoe has recommended, namely cleared it (20K) earlier this year (Aug) at Suvarnabhumi. As stamps had to be transferred into new passport it took about 30 -45mins. So the advice to show up early and be respectful is sound. I subsequently applied for and received a visa and was able to re-enter Thailand. The proposed new rules are draconian but currently immigration is being very accommodating to people clearing their overstays. Good luck and don't worry too much, but the sooner you clear it the better.

Hi there,

You don't mention which airport that was. Normally you do not pay a fine for an overstay of less than 24 hours at an airport.

There have been people with much longer overstays (years) that have left the country, turned around and reentered the country or applied for visas without a problem.

I overstayed 1 day when leaving from Samui back to UK - stoopid error on my flight booking on my part. I phoned the local Immigration Office - they said one day over no problem - pay 500bht fine at Samui departure.

Which was exactly what happened - I did try to explain it was a genuine mistake on the days to the very nice immigration guy but he just smiled and said har roi baht krab. No problem or queries on re-entry next time - they were probab;ly hoping I would overstay again ;-)

Hi there,

Good advice. I overstayed before and no issue re entering.

Before is not now, new lawe fron 2013 for owerstay, dont forget it.

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

Johnny1234 replied

• Members
  • xbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.jB6hmcewR
  • 7 posts

Sent 2014-11-26 10:52:02

"I can almost gaurantee your in Thailand because you can't get a girl at home. Probably a hooker aswell who doesn't like you deep down. Stop posting negative comments prat"
Johnny your comment is about as accurate as your respect for Thai visa rules. Probably more a description of yourself. In addition it would have been cheaper for you to get a Visa rather than show no respect to Immigration. You were the one that broke the law and then get upset when I point it out!!!!!!! Hmmm go figure.

Johnny 1234 you do realise that if you are in an accident, upset people, have an accident etc and Police are called etc you will be arrested, probably put in jail, deported etc Then when you go to many countries who ask if you have ever been deported you will have to say YES. Stop insulting me when you should not even be in the country. Why didn't you get a Visa do you have a criminal record?