Did you wear a yellow shirt today (Monday)?

simon43

Yes, I did wear yellow today and will wear pink tomorrow.

I believe wearing yellow shows respect for the King.

I respect the King.

I will wear pink tomorrow.

and so on.

I am pleased to live in Thailand and have no problem with showing respect for the country I have decided to spend my life in.

Thailand has it's faults.

What country does not have faults?

Thailand's history has been far less destructive, exploitative and harmful to others than my home country and others of the "western civilization".

I respect that.

I know it is very popular to disrespect Thailand here on TV.

I often wonder why so many want to live in a place they dislike so much.

I like it here..no, I love it here.

So, I wear a yellow shirt on Mondays.

and pink on Tuesday..

and so on.....

Up to you, considering most Thai people don't.

Maybe Willy is Thaier than Thais.

I expected the negative comments.

After all, this is TV.

Let me clarify a couple of things.

I planned to and worked toward relocating to Thailand for years before I was prepared to do it.

Thailand has many problems, like any other country.

The problems may be different from those of other places, but

Those problems are a better match for me than other places I have lived

There is no perfect country, and who would want to live in a perfect country anyway?

Unexpected wild cards make life interesting for me.

I am not" " Thaier than Thai".

I am American by birth and still a voting, tax paying, citizen of same.

I feel I am much like those who dreamed and worked hard for years to immigrate to the USA.

When they finally get there, they are often more patriotic and respectful of the country than those who did nothing more then be born in the "right place" to become a citizen.

In fact, for an immigrant to become a citizen of the US, they must lean and retain much more knowledge of U.S. history and U.S. government that the average American born citizen ever learns.

They must do this to pass the test to become a citizen.

I have no plans to become a Thai citizen, but I have probably read more on Thai history than most Thais have.

I find the history and the culture fascinating, where I assume natives would not.

Thai people, like American born citizen, do not appreciate where they are as much as those who have dreamed, planned and worked hard to get to the same place.

So, yes, I am probably more likely to wear yellow and show respect to the country I have worked to get to than many native born Thai people.

Just like a U.S. citizen who has worked hard to become a US citizen is more likely to fly the stars and stripes, than

someone who was born an American

So, yes, I wore a Yellow shirt yesterday and am wearing a pink one today......out of respect.post-147745-0-68200700-1416896507_thumb.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Willy it is totally up to you what you wear. Just because I chose not to, does not mean I am disrespectful to Thai people. Not a single Thai person yesterday at work was wearing a yellow shirt. Just saying.

• Like 1

Is there a law requiring everyone to wear yellow shirts on monday?

No, of course not smile.png It's a personal choice. No-one will think bad of you if you don't wear yellow

Well I think there should be a law to ban them. The only thing in mind when I see a person in a yellow shirt is those violent thugs that illegally shut down the airport years ago. Along with the red shirts, the yellow shirts created freakin mayhem for years,. I have no respect for anyone advertising their gang colors.

• Like 1

Time Traveller, we are not talking about political colours. We are talking about wearing HM King's 'colour'.

So in that case, why would johny foreigner wear one at all.

I don't see what relevance that comment is as to my choice to wear yellow on Monday.

I am not Thai - I am a foreigner living in Thailand.

I do not want to be Thaier than Thai - I am very happy being British

Wearing yellow on Mondays is my personal sign of respect towards HM King - it is not relevant to me whether or not a single Thai person wears yellow - that is their own personal choice.

As to getting mistaken for being a 'yellow shirt', that is a pathetic excuse. No 'red shirt' would mistake HM King's monogram on the shirt for a political affiliation.

Edited by simon43

Time Traveller, we are not talking about political colours. We are talking about wearing HM King's 'colour'.

So in that case, why would johny foreigner wear one at all.

I don't see what relevance that comment is as to my choice to wear yellow on Monday.

I am not Thai - I am a foreigner living in Thailand.

I do not want to be Thaier than Thai - I am very happy being British

Wearing yellow on Mondays is my personal sign of respect towards HM King - it is not relevant to me whether or not a single Thai person wears yellow - that is their own personal choice.

As to getting mistaken for being a 'yellow shirt', that is a pathetic excuse. No 'red shirt' would mistake HM King's monogram on the shirt for a political affiliation.

Ya but they do. Everyone used to wear a yellow shirt on Mondays 10 years ago. Today almost no one. I know because I have two in my closet that I have not worn in years.

Monday - Yellow

Tuesday - Pink

Wednesday - Green

Thursday - Orange

Friday - Blue

Saturday - Red

Sunday - Free choice

I always believed it was

mon yellow

tues pink

wed green

thur orange

friday blue

saturday purple

sunday red.

Before I always liked wearing the colour of the day.My wifes daughter mentioned to my wife one day, she could tell what day it was by what color of shirt I was wearing. I actually liked that.

@Thailiketoo

I simply cannot believe that any Thai could mistake HM King's monogram on a yellow shirt for any other than a shirt that is being worn out of respect of HM King.

A foreign tourist might not be aware of the monogram, but surely ALL Thais and a large proportion of expats recognise it.

@Thailiketoo

I simply cannot believe that any Thai could mistake HM King's monogram on a yellow shirt for any other than a shirt that is being worn out of respect of HM King.

A foreign tourist might not be aware of the monogram, but surely ALL Thais and a large proportion of expats recognise it.

It would be easier if you used the quote function.

You wrote, "As to getting mistaken for being a 'yellow shirt', that is a pathetic excuse. No 'red shirt' would mistake HM King's monogram on the shirt for a political affiliation."

I wrote, "Ya but they do. Everyone used to wear a yellow shirt on Mondays 10 years ago. Today almost no one. I know because I have two in my closet that I have not worn in years."

People stopped wearing yellow shirts when the yellow shirt nonsense started at the airport.

Don't you notice almost every Thai person has a uniform? This is more like militarization of its population. Uniformity.

Before the shirt nonsense started everyone who wore a uniform wore a yellow shirt on Mondays. School teachers gov officials and so on.

Why? I wasn't quoting you :)

People stopped wearing yellow shirts when the yellow shirt nonsense started at the airport.

I agree that fewer people seem to wear yellow shirts on Monday, but I doubt if this has anything to do with the political "yellowshirts".

However, since I'm living in south Thailand, where the support is generally for the "yellow shirts", I'm not able to test out my claim. Strange that I wear this yellow shirt but am a "red shirt" supporter....

@Thailiketoo

You said in the post above this one that you were not quoting me and you obviously were.

Why? I wasn't quoting you smile.png

I agree that fewer people seem to wear yellow shirts on Monday, but I doubt if this has anything to do with the political "yellowshirts".

However, since I'm living in south Thailand, where the support is generally for the "yellow shirts", I'm not able to test out my claim. Strange that I wear this yellow shirt but am a "red shirt" supporter....

Everyone used to wear yellow shirts at my government office until the airport closure then it stopped. Before the airport closure even I a Farang was expected to wear a yellow shirt on Mondays until the airport closure.

Don't you notice almost every Thai person has a uniform? This is more like militarization of its population. Uniformity.

Before the shirt nonsense started everyone who wore a uniform wore a yellow shirt on Mondays. School teachers gov officials and so on.

Any foreigner wearing it now, is basically a Dill.

• Like 2

Either that or a TEFLr type.

Mr T it would appear you are lacking in a "Thainess" course, I can get you signed up for one along with the mrs, she refuses to wear one.

When asked why, her answer, "if they want me to wear one, better they give me one to wear"

Either that or a TEFLr type.

Mr T it would appear you are lacking in a "Thainess" course, I can get you signed up for one along with the mrs, she refuses to wear one.

When asked why, her answer, "if they want me to wear one, better they give me one to wear"

I know RGS I need to educated in Digital Pikery or Tourist Volunteer policeness. That will help me become

Thaier than Thai.

Is there a course running down in my neck of the woods soon?

I am so waiting for the Little Britain spin off for Thailand.

Shouldn't take to much imagination

" my shirts yellower than yours"

"I'm the only Farang in the village"

" immigration says no"

The list goes on

Edited by mrtoad

As usual ... I'll swim against the tide.

I have 1 yellow shirt ... the Kings Shirt with his emblem.

Great fun buying it.

I'm a '+' size (broad shoulders of course ... whistling.gif ).

Was in the Market opposite the Siriraj Hospital.

The shirt was placed across my shoulders, but I still wasn't sure it would fit my 12 pack.

So, I asked the gf to ask the stall owner if I could try it on?

Well, off with the existing shirt ... well, you could hear the giggling from the surrounding spectators.

Lost of 'Khao' ... 'Khao marrk' ... or something like that.

Got the thumbs up from the gf, the stall owner (naturally ... she wanted a sale).

The reason I bought it? Was a few years ago. When I'm in Thailand I stay at the Family Farm.

Still working on getting the Farm Father on board. He's a Royalist.

It was Dec 5 ... the Kings Birthday and we all headed out for night time party on the Pier (Samut Prakan)

Maybe a 1,000 odd there, only one westerner. Maybe 90% of the Thais wearing Yellow that night.

Had a fun night. Band, fireworks etc.

So, the old yellow shirt gets worn once a year, if I'm in the Kingdom on Dec 5.

Oh ... apart from when MissFarmGirl was preggers ... was one of the few items of clothing that fitted her.

Says a lot about me 12 pac ... facepalm.gif