The Glasgow Rangers Thread.

Jockstar

Since we had a Rangers thread last year. I thought i'd start another. Both with results and news. Mostly taken from soccernet unlesss stated. Enjoy!

New player signs,,,,,,,

Filip Sebo has completed his move to Rangers, according to the player`s own official website.

The 22-year-old striker spent the day at Murray Park finalising the deal after the Ibrox club agreed a fee of £1.8million with Austria Vienna.

A statement on www.filipsebo.com said: 'Filip Sebo signed a contract with Glasgow Rangers a few minutes ago.'

Sebo arrived in Glasgow last night after both clubs finally reached an agreement in principle following another round of talks.

He underwent a medical at the city`s Ross Hall Hospital this morning before discussing personal terms.

Austria Vienna were keen to hold on to the highly-rated forward - who has won Slovakian and Austrian titles in the past two years - but he was set on a move to Rangers.

Sebo becomes new manager Paul Le Guen`s ninth signing of the summer, joining former team-mate Libor Sionko at Ibrox.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Will this really stop it?

Rangers fans warned against sectarianism

Rangers chairman David Murray has warned there will be no hiding from serious punishment if supporters continue to chant sectarian songs.

UEFA have written to the club lawyers following the an Ibrox request for clarification on the judgement on the behaviour of fans during the games against Villarreal last season.

The Light Blues were fined £13,300 by the European governing body for discriminatory chanting during the Champions League ties against the Spanish club earlier this year.

However, in their correspondence, UEFA have underlined a firm stand against any form of sectarianism is not limited to European fixtures and domestic matches will also be considered.

Consequently, Rangers will provide each fan entering Ibrox for the game against Dundee United tomorrow with the 'Wee Blue Book', which will feature a song list agreed between supporters' representatives and the club, a Pride Over Prejudice section, a list of penalties supporters face if they engage in sectarian behaviour and a telephone hotline for fans concerned over sectarian behaviour.

Fans who fail to comply will face the loss of season ticket, lifetime bans or arrest.

And, after avoiding having their ground closed last season as a punishment due to their achievements in combating sectarianism, the Gers owner has appealed to fans to refrain from such chanting.

Murray said: 'There is no doubt whatsoever that the club and the overwhelming majority of supporters are determined to do everything in our power to eradicate this problem.

'The issue of sectarianism in Scotland goes way beyond Rangers and football, but we are fully committed to playing our part.

'There should be no doubt now in supporters' minds that UEFA have made it clear that all forms of sectarian singing - including any version of the `Billy Boys' - are prohibited at domestic and European matches, home and away.

'Whether people think that is right or wrong or whether Rangers have been treated fairly or unfairly, that is the reality of the situation.

'We did ask UEFA for clarification following the fine they imposed and they have responded clearly.

'There is no appeals process. The appeals body determined that sectarian singing had taken place.

'UEFA acknowledged our achievements on sectarianism and that helped us avoid ground closure as a sanction.

'If the minority of supporters do not take that on board, then the club faces further and more serious punishment.

'We have to deal with the situation we are in and the vast majority of Rangers fans are in full agreement that Rangers should not suffer from the actions of a small minority who refuse to accept that sectarian behaviour is prohibited.

'We have done a tremendous amount as a club to address sectarianism.

'There has been progress and we are building on what we have done in the past.

'This is an exciting new era for Rangers on and off the pitch and we must rise to all the challenges we face.'

UEFA have already warned of the dangers facing clubs, whose fans are involved in any discriminatory chanting.

A UEFA statement said: 'Any national association or club whose supporters engage in behaviour which insults the human dignity of a person or group of persons, by whatever means, including grounds of colour, race, religion or ethnic origin will incur a minimum £13,000 penalty.

'In particular circumstances, the disciplinary body may impose additional sanctions on the member association or club responsible, such as the playing of one or more games behind closed doors, a stadium closure, awarding of a match by default, deduction of points or disqualification from the competition.

'Moreover, any form of extremist ideological propaganda is banned before, during, and after games.'

Rangers v Dundee Utd: Preview

PA

Rangers boss Paul Le Guen believes the capture of Filip Sebo from Austria Vienna this week means his new-look squad is almost complete for the new season.

The ex-Lyon boss heads into the Bank of Scotland Premier League game against Dundee United without injured skipper Barry Ferguson and Ian Murray but insists the signs look good for the future.

Le Guen said: ``We are not far away, but I have to wait for the return of Barry Ferguson and Ian Murray, then we will have a complete team.''

Sebo will be included in the squad for the visit of Dundee United and Le Guen hopes the 22-year-old striker will add to the competition for places, with Dado Prso, Kris Boyd, Thomas Buffel and Nacho Novo already vying for the forward roles.

He added: ``Sebo trained this morning and he is on the squad list for tomorrow so I am happy.

``He can give us different options and that is important for the manager and for the fans.

``We also have Dado, Boydy, Thomas and Nacho but there will be so many games during the season and it is important to have different possibilities.

``It is my job to choose but I prefer to have experience in this game.''

United lost their SPL opener against Falkirk last week but Le Guen is not expecting the three points to come easy for Rangers at Ibrox.

He said: ``It is an opportunity to get three points but I know the game will be a difficult one.

``The most important thing is to be focused on the game. Yves Colleu went to their last game and we know this team. That is why I want all the players to be focused on tomorrow's game.

``They need points, too, and I know it will be hard.''

Rangers have been boosted by the return of winger Chris Burke and striker Kris Boyd for the clash against Dundee United.

Burke is available after recovering from an ankle problem while Boyd missed the win at Motherwell last weekend through suspension.

However, Barry Ferguson (heel) and Ian Murray (thigh) are still out.

Paul Ritchie has become the latest unwanted player to seal his departure from Dundee United after agreeing a settlement on the remaining 12 months of his contract.

The former Hearts and Rangers defender was one of five players told they were surplus to requirements by manager Craig Brewster at the end of last season.

Jim McIntyre, Derek McInnes, Grant Brebner and now Ritchie have all been paid up by chairman Eddie Thompson, leaving only former Celtic playmaker David Fernandez to negotiate a similar deal.

Ritchie has been linked with a move to Division One favourites Gretna but is also believed to be looking at options abroad.

Brewster, who will take his team to face Rangers this weekend in search of their first Premier League points, said: ``Paul has now agreed a deal with the chairman and the formalities of it will be done early next week.

``It's good for both parties that this has been resolved.

``There have also been more discussions with David Fernandez and his agent so hopefully in the next week or so we can get some movement there as well.

``It's important for the club to move forward and we're finally seeing good progress on this issue.''

Player-manager Craig Brewster will rest himself for the game against Rangers. The veteran striker will be replaced by Lee Miller in the team after the home defeat by Falkirk last weekend.

New signing Christian Kalvenes is set for his debut after joining the club from Brann Bergen, while Scotland Under-19 international Greg Cameron returns.

Bad result for Rangers yesterday. 2-2 at home to Dundee Utd. Although when you were 2-0, I'm sure you would have welcomed a point.

Looking at the current league table, St Mirren and Falkirk occupy the top 2 spots. How nice would it be if the league could finish that way? :D

To be honest, I'll be happy if Falkirk can finish second bottom. :o

Yes not a bad result for Rangers yesterday. If they can keep this up or possibly improve they might manage to pip the Hibees and retain their third place in the league by the end of the season.

Still it's early days and the Gers have always had a tendency to implode during the xmas new year period.

GLASGOW, Aug 5 (Reuters) - Rangers needed a late own goal to snatch a 2-2 draw at home to Dundee United in the Scottish Premier League on Saturday.

Noel Hunt shocked the home crowd with a 14th-minute opening goal for Dundee and Norwegian Christian Kalvenes made it 2-0 after the interval.

Rangers pulled back a goal from Chris Burke before Steven Robb turned the ball into his own net with 11 minutes left.

Champions Celtic face Hearts on Sunday at Tynecastle.

GLASGOW, Aug 5 (Reuters) - Rangers needed a late own goal to snatch a 2-2 draw at home to Dundee United in the Scottish Premier League on Saturday.

Noel Hunt shocked the home crowd with a 14th-minute opening goal for Dundee and Norwegian Christian Kalvenes made it 2-0 after the interval.

Rangers pulled back a goal from Chris Burke before Steven Robb turned the ball into his own net with 11 minutes left.

The Bhoys have just lost 2-1 a late goal clinched it, what can we expect from a manager who mimed played the flute in front of the Bhoys fans.

Oh well it is a long season :o

Hope you didn't mind me posting it here Jockstar :D

Good Luck

Moss

The Bhoys have just lost 2-1 a late goal clinched it, what can we expect from a manager who mimed played the flute in front of the Bhoys fans.

Oh well it is a long season :o

Hope you didn't mind me posting it here Jockstar :D

Good Luck

Moss

Jockstar won't mind you posting about Celtic losing :D

Good start for Hearts.

I'm bloody confused as who to support in Scotland.

Living in Glasgow being Proddie of course it was Rangers, but I was too young to go into the footy.

On moving to Aberdeen, I got a hard time for being a Wedgie.

Aberdeen did very well in the 80's and I started supporting them.

In the mid nineties I forgot about football but then Celtic were on the telly a lot so I wanted them to do well, and they were the only Scots team Thais knew.

I feel in my heart now that I want Rangers to do well and not to be a glory hunter.

Yes, convinced myself - come on ye Gers!!!!

My Grannie will be happy - man she is into all that sectarian stuff, still at an old age.

Celtic seem to always have annoying players and managers, why? Excluding King Kenny Daglish.

Gordon Strachan must be one of the most annoying, even when at aberdeen - one of those punchable faces, like Martin O'Neil.

So I'm with JockieStar on this one. :o

I'm bloody confused as who to support in Scotland.

Living in Glasgow being Proddie of course it was Rangers, but I was too young to go into the footy.

On moving to Aberdeen, I got a hard time for being a Wedgie.

Aberdeen did very well in the 80's and I started supporting them.

In the mid nineties I forgot about football but then Celtic were on the telly a lot so I wanted them to do well, and they were the only Scots team Thais knew.

I feel in my heart now that I want Rangers to do well and not to be a glory hunter.

Yes, convinced myself - come on ye Gers!!!!

My Grannie will be happy - man she is into all that sectarian stuff, still at an old age.

Celtic seem to always have annoying players and managers, why? Excluding King Kenny Daglish.

Gordon Strachan must be one of the most annoying, even when at aberdeen - one of those punchable faces, like Martin O'Neil.

So I'm with JockieStar on this one. :o

:D:D:D:D

Match report from the weekend.....

Rangers 2-2 Dundee Utd

PA

Rangers boss Paul Le Guen was given an Ibrox debut he will never forget as the home side were forced to scrape a 2-2 draw with Dundee United in bizarre circumstances.

United were a team already under pressure following their 2-1 defeat at the hands of Falkirk in last week's opening game of the Bank of Scotland Premier League season.

And the display had prompted chairman Eddie Thompson to launch into a scathing attack on manager Craig Brewster and his players within ear-shot of a group of journalists.

But those disparaging remarks appeared to have had a positive effect when Noel Hunt and new recruit Christian Kalvenes gave them a 2-1 lead.

However, Rangers managed to rescue a point thanks to goals from Chris Burke, who netted seconds after coming off the bench, and United's Steven Robb, who unwittingly did likewise late in the game.

Rangers fans had welcomed Le Guen to his first competitive game at Ibrox with a colourful card display, representing the flags of his native France and Scotland.

But Hunt threatened to spoil the party when he shrugged off Karl Svensson to collect a Stuart Duff ball from the left, before dispatching the shot clinically in the top corner.

Rangers had already squandered a couple of chances when Libor Sionko's ferocious volley was punched to safety by Derek Stillie, before Charlie Adam's netbound effort was cleared off the line by Greg Cameron.

Now a goal behind, they continued to pile on the pressure and Thomas Buffel managed to create a couple of changes, but he proved to be as wasteful with those efforts as he had been at Motherwell last week.

It was also proving to be a frustrating afternoon for Sionko, who saw his thunderous drive smash off the crossbar seconds later.

Rangers' misfiring was matched in equal measures by the last-ditch defending of Dundee United.

Cameron was again on hand to hook a Julien Rodriguez header off the line and Rangers could only watch on in disbelief as Mark Kerr denied Dado Prso in a carbon-copy effort seconds later.

Kris Boyd, back from suspension, was named on the bench along with new signing Filip Sebo and the now-fit Burke.

And last season's top goalscorer found himself thrown into the action in place of Adam at the break in the hope of rescuing the game for Rangers.

However, it was Dundee United who almost snatched a second goal courtesy of Cameron, but he was given a taste of his own medicine when Alan Hutton threw his body in front of the shot to block.

Seconds later, the ball was in the back of the net anyway. Barry Robson flighted a corner into the packed goalmouth and it was new recruit Kalvenes who rose above everyone else to nod home with 55 minutes gone.

Burke was immediately introduced for Svensson and clawed a goal back 60 seconds later when he turned in the box and squeezed a left-footed drive home at the near post to drag Rangers back into the match.

Sebo, signed for #1.8million from Austria Vienna earlier in the week, was handed his Rangers debut when he replaced Prso for the final 20 minutes.

But it was a far more unlikely source who supplied the goal they were desperately searching for after 78 minutes, when United substitute Robb sent an 18-yard header past his own keeper seconds after coming off the bench.

It was the green light for Rangers to go on and win the game, but they could not find the goal that would secure them the three points

Rangers loan Man United youngster Martin

Rangers have signed Manchester United youngster Lee Martin on a loan deal until the end of the year.

The 19-year-old passed a medical and agreed terms and will train with Paul Le Guen's squad for the first time on Friday.

The teenager was in Glasgow two weeks ago when Manchester United came north to play Celtic in a friendly at Parkhead.

Martin, who plays on the left side of midfield, spent the second half of last season in Belgium with Royal Antwerp.

He was signed from Wimbledon in December 2003 for a fee which could hit £1million if he reaches agreed targets.

Martin - no relation to his namesake who scored the winner in the 1990 FA Cup final - has only played once for the United first team in a competitive game when he featured in the Carling Cup tie with Barnet last October.

However, the youngster has had a taste of European football as he sat on the bench as United beat Benfica in the Champions League at Old Trafford last season.

Ricksen leaves Rangers for St Petersburg

Rangers have agreed to loan defender Fernando Ricksen to Zenit St Petersburg for one year.

The 30-year-old will fly out to Russia where he will link up with former Ibrox manager Dick Advocaat.

The deal for the Holland international is now subject to a medical and the player agreeing personal terms.

Current Rangers boss Paul Le Guen has told the Dutchman it would be better for him to find a new club after an incident involving a flight attendant en route to Johannesburg last month.

Ricksen was immediately sent home from the club's pre-season training camp in South Africa.

On his return to Glasgow, the former AZ Alkmaar player sought residential counselling at the Sporting Chance Clinic in Hampshire for anger management issues

Now Advocaat, who paid £3.75million to bring the player to Ibrox in 2000, has called on the services of the defender on a temporary deal.

Rangers will also play host to the Russian club in a friendly on August 23 as part of the deal.

A Rangers statement said: 'Rangers Football Club can confirm that they have agreed a one-year loan deal for Fernando Ricksen with FC Zenit St Petersburg.

'As part of this agreement, it is proposed to have a friendly match at Ibrox Stadium with Dick Advocaat's team on Wednesday, August 23.

'The agreement is subject to the player passing a medical and personal terms being agreed, which hopefully will be done by the end of this week.'

Plucky Rangers hold Dunfermline to a Draw

Dunfermline Ath 1-1 Rangers

Rangers blew the chance to go top of the table as Dunfermline fought back for a deserved draw at East End Park. After passing up some earlier chances, Thomas Buffel gave Rangers the lead following the break with a fine finish from Jeremy Clement's through ball. But then when French keeper Lionel Letizi fumbled a catch, Owen Morrison was on hand to drive in the equaliser.

Near the end, Calum Woods nearly fired in the winner for Dunfermline but his long-range attempt shaved the post.

Dunfermline manager Jim Leishman was forced to make three personnel changes. Roddy McKenzie, Jamie McCunnie and Andy Tod replaced Allan McGregor, Greg Shields and Freddie Daquin. Rangers boss Paul Le Guen named the same side for the third week, with new loan signing Lee Martin on the bench.

Buffel had two early chances for Rangers, poking wide of the post after a Dunfermline defensive error and then forcing a save from McKenzie. At the other end, Stephen Simmons' free-kick was easily stopped by Lionel Letizi. Simmons then received the first booking of the game after 32 minutes for a bad tackle on Clement.

A bloodied Tod had to leave the field for repair work after an accidental clash of heads and a scrappy first half petered out in goalless deadlock.

With his side showing no sign of a breakthrough, Le Guen resorted to a double substitution, with Kris Boyd and Chris Burke replacing Dado Prso and Libor Sionko. Shortly afterwards Buffel atoned for his earlier misses and gave Rangers the lead, running across the Dunfermline defence and collecting a pass from Clement for a cool, angled finish past McKenzie.

The visitors did not hold on for long though, with Letizi flapping at the ball and Owen Morrison capitalising amid the scramble to fire over the line and draw Dunfermline level.

Boyd had a close-range opportunity near the end but the Rangers striker was denied by the Dunfermline keeper. Then Woods stepped up from distance for Dunfermline but his super effort whistled past the post.

Plucky Rangers hold Dunfermline to a Draw

Dunfermline Ath 1-1 Rangers

Rangers blew the chance to go top of the table as Dunfermline fought back for a deserved draw at East End Park. After passing up some earlier chances, Thomas Buffel gave Rangers the lead following the break with a fine finish from Jeremy Clement's through ball. But then when French keeper Lionel Letizi fumbled a catch, Owen Morrison was on hand to drive in the equaliser.

Near the end, Calum Woods nearly fired in the winner for Dunfermline but his long-range attempt shaved the post.

Dunfermline manager Jim Leishman was forced to make three personnel changes. Roddy McKenzie, Jamie McCunnie and Andy Tod replaced Allan McGregor, Greg Shields and Freddie Daquin. Rangers boss Paul Le Guen named the same side for the third week, with new loan signing Lee Martin on the bench.

Buffel had two early chances for Rangers, poking wide of the post after a Dunfermline defensive error and then forcing a save from McKenzie. At the other end, Stephen Simmons' free-kick was easily stopped by Lionel Letizi. Simmons then received the first booking of the game after 32 minutes for a bad tackle on Clement.

A bloodied Tod had to leave the field for repair work after an accidental clash of heads and a scrappy first half petered out in goalless deadlock.

With his side showing no sign of a breakthrough, Le Guen resorted to a double substitution, with Kris Boyd and Chris Burke replacing Dado Prso and Libor Sionko. Shortly afterwards Buffel atoned for his earlier misses and gave Rangers the lead, running across the Dunfermline defence and collecting a pass from Clement for a cool, angled finish past McKenzie.

The visitors did not hold on for long though, with Letizi flapping at the ball and Owen Morrison capitalising amid the scramble to fire over the line and draw Dunfermline level.

Boyd had a close-range opportunity near the end but the Rangers striker was denied by the Dunfermline keeper. Then Woods stepped up from distance for Dunfermline but his super effort whistled past the post.

Been away this weekend. You beat me to it. More points dropped. Looks PLG hasnt quite got his team formation quite right yet.

Rangers take Man Utd defender on loan

Rangers have completed the loan signing of Manchester United defender Phil Bardsley.

The 21-year-old put pen to paper at Murray Park today after undergoing a medical, although the length of the loan deal has not been revealed by the Ibrox club.

He follows in the footsteps of Old Trafford team-mate, Lee Martin, who joined Rangers on loan last week.

Rangers boss Paul Le Guen had expressed the desire to secure the services of at least one more defender before the transfer window closes at the end of the month.

Bardsley can operate at right-back or centre-half which means more options for the Ibrox boss, who is hoping to see the likes of Marvin Andrews, Jose-Karl Pierre-Fanfan, Bob Malcolm and Olivier Bernard move on.

Like Martin, he caught the eye of Le Guen during Manchester United's pre-season friendly win over Celtic in Glasgow last month.

But he arrives at Rangers with more first-team experience than Martin after deputising for the injured Phil Neville last season, including their Champions League win over Benfica.

Bardsley also spent part of last term on loan with

Rangers v Hearts: Preview

PA

Rangers striker Kris Boyd insists he has had no complaints about being on the bench for the last couple of games.

He missed the Bank of Scotland Premier League opener at Motherwell through suspension and had to settle for a substitute`s appearance in their last two games against Dundee United and Dunfermline.

But he is determined to win back his place in the top team for the showdown with Hearts.

``I'm desperate to get back in and hopefully I've shown enough in training to get back in,'' he said.

``But I'll have to wait and see what the manager chooses.``I knew I would have to be patient when I was suspended for the first game and that I might have to bide my time if the guys who came in did well.

``The boys who have been in the side have done well so I've no complaints.``I've been on the bench the last couple of games and I'm looking to get back into the team now.

``But if it means I've got to wait another couple of weeks then I'll be ready as soon as I do come in.

``There's a lot of competition up front which is good for Rangers. As long as we keep all the strikers on their toes we should have no problem putting the ball in the net.''

Rangers have been held to a draw in their last two games but Boyd - last season's top goalscorer with 37 goals - is confident he is the man to score against Hearts if he starts.

He told the club's official website, www.rangers.co.uk: ``I think it's important we get back to winning ways.

``We know it's not going to be an easy game but hopefu

lly we can pick up the three points and get back towards the top of the table.

``I'm always confident going into games that I can score. I think with the quality of the players we've got here we're always going to create chances so it's just up to me to get in to the box.

``If I'm not playing then I want the other strikers to score because we need to win every game.''

Hearts head coach Valdas Ivanauskas hit back at fresh allegations suggesting majority shareholder Vladimir Romanov is involved in team matters and retorted: ``I'm no puppet.''

Former Jambos midfielder Lee Johnson, in a parting shot after leaving Tynecastle to join Bristol City this week, claimed that Romanov was behind many of the team selections and substitutions at the Gorgie club.

Speculation of this nature has dogged Ivanauskas since he took over from Graham Rix towards the end of last season.

Rix and his predecessor, George Burley, also had to deal with rumours that the de facto owner of the club tried to directly influence team selections.

But an exasperated Ivanauskas was at pains to stress his autonomy at the Edinburgh club.

Asked directly if he was merely Romanov's puppet, Ivanauskas replied: ``No, I am not a puppet.''

When quizzed on Romanov's alleged involvement with team selection, Ivanauskas continued: ``If you are in the stand or not at the game then there is no chance to pick the team or make changes.

``And it is not possible to take directions from the stand from Mr Romanov.

``Every decision is mine. I pick the team, it is my team.

``Every player is unhappy when they leave their club, it is not a new situation for me but Lee Johnson is just one player.

``But I'm the manager and I pick the team. I know what I do.

``Lee Johnson has left the club but he was here a very short time.

``Lee was a very professional player, football was his life and I wish him good luck at Bristol City.''

Ivanauskas reiterated his own sense of independence and power at the Edinburgh club when introducing new signing Marius Zaliukas who arrived on loan from FBK Kaunas this week.

The Jambos boss said: ``Marius was my signing.

``He is a young player and he has a big chance to play top football.

``He needs to adapt to Scottish football but he is strong and so he has a big, big future.

``He can play in a couple of positions but his best position is in midfield.''

Zaliukas, who appeared somewhat perplexed at the line of questioning his new boss had to deal with, backed up Ivanauskas saying: ``I never spoke to Mr Romanov (about signing for Hearts).

``Coming to Hearts is a big chance for me. It is a big step up.''

Paul Hartley returns to the Jambos squad after recovering from a groin injury and Ivanauskas welcomed the Scotland midfielder back into the fold.

He said: ``Paul is fit and that's good news.''

A fantastic result yesterday.

Rangers 2-0 Hearts

PA

Paul Le Guen told Kris Boyd to do his talking on the pitch and the Rangers striker responded by helping himself to a double which secured a 2-0 victory over Hearts.

Two goals in three minutes signalled his intent for the rest of the season and, more importantly, provided the result which could finally kick-start Rangers' campaign.

On the same day Hearts boss Valdas Ivanauskas had hit out at claims from a former player that he was Vladimir Romanov's puppet, Le Guen made it clear he was the one pulling all the strings at Rangers.

Boyd had spoken earlier in the week of his frustration at not starting a game this season and the Ibrox boss reminded him who was responsible for team selection.

However, after three weeks of keeping faith with the same 11 players, Le Guen eventually decided to ring the changes for the visit of Hearts.

Draws against Dundee United and Dunfermline had triggered early rumblings of discontent among the Ibrox faithful and he knew a victory over last season's SPL runners-up was needed.

Boyd and Chris Burke were in, meaning Thomas Buffel and Libor Sionko were out.

Manchester United loan signing Phil Bardsley was handed his debut in his favoured right-back role at the expense of Alan Hutton, while his Old Trafford club-mate Lee Martin made his first start ahead of Charlie Adam.

Hearts talisman Paul Hartley's fight back to fitness took him only as far as the bench, but eyebrows were raised when Calum Elliot started the game despite the likelihood of him joining Motherwell or Falkirk on loan.

Rangers had the best of the chances in the first half, with the changes in personnel seemingly providing the shot in the arm they had been looking for.

Burke embarked upon a mazy run before threading the ball into the path of Boyd. He set up Jeremy Clement for the shot but the Frenchman drilled well wide of target.

Karl Svensson then came close with a header from a Burke corner, but goalkeeper Craig Gordon managed to smother on the line.

Hearts eventually tested Rangers through a Bruno Aguiar free-kick from 25 yards but goalkeeper Lionel Letizi managed to tip it over the bar.

The Hearts goalkeeper then prevented an audacious Boyd overhead kick hitting the back of the net.

Last-gasp defending from Hearts denied Rangers the opener before the interval. Prso's shot was blocked by Gordon before Boyd's rebound was cleared off the line by Robbie Neilson.

Hearts swapped Roman Bednar for Michal Pospisil at the break but it was Rangers who had an immediate impact on the second half.

With just 30 seconds gone, referee Kenny Clark pointed to the penalty spot after Neilson clipped the heels of Prso in the box.

It was Boyd who stepped up for the pressure kick and his finishing was clinical as he converted from 12 yards.

With 48 minutes on the clock, the striker was celebrating his second goal. This time, he met a Martin free-kick on the six-yard line and bulleted a header past a stunned Gordon.

Boyd then turned provider to set up Prso for a terrific strike and only the post prevented Hearts from falling further behind.

There was further misery for the Tynecastle side when the injured Pospisil was forced out of the game with just over an hour gone. The substitute was replaced by Neil McCann.

Rangers also made a change when Hutton was introduced to the action for Bardsley.

Hearts threw Hartley into the game for the final 20 minutes in place of Saulius Mikoliunas, while there would be no hat-trick for Boyd who made way for Filip Sebo.

Tempers flared as Jambos skipper Steven Pressley was cautioned for dissent, before being followed into the book by team-mates Takis Fyssas and Neilson.

Neilson's misery was compounded when he was shown the red card in injury time for a foul on Martin.

Hearts huffed and puffed but failed to salvage a result that would provide a confidence-booster ahead of next week's visit to AEK Athens for a Champions League tie they already looked unlikely to win.

Unwanted Namouchi close to Ibrox exit

Hamed Namouchi is close to completing a move from Rangers to French club Lorient on a three-year deal.

An agreement has been thrashed out between the clubs and the 22-year-old Tunisia midfielder, who is due in France for a medical.

Namouchi has been told he has no part in Rangers manager Paul Le Guen's plans following the arrivals of Jeremy Clement, Libor Sionko and Lee Martin.

Nacho Novo, Jose Pierre-Fanfan, Olivier Bernard and Bob Malcolm have also been told they can move on.

######ing PISH!!!!!

Rangers in a spot of bother at Kilmarnock

GLAGSOW Aug 27 (Reuters) - Rangers missed the chance to go top of the Scottish Premier League with a 2-2 draw at Kilmarnock in a dramatic finish on Sunday.

Kilmarnock's Steve Naismith fired home a penalty in stoppage time after Alan Hutton was ruled to have handled the ball inside the penalty area.

Champions Celtic top the standings with 10 points from five games, ahead of Hearts on goal difference, after beating Hibernian 2-1 on Saturday. Rangers have nine from five matches and sit equal third with Aberdeen.

'We deserved the win,' Rangers manager Paul Le Guen told BBC Radio Scotland.

'It is so frustrating, and the penalty at the end, it is strange, but it is his (the referee's) decision.

'We had a lot of good movement and we played well and that is why we are frustrated. I think we deserved a better result than we got today,' the Frenchman added.

'We need the points to help with confidence ...but we must be more efficient and more consistent even if I am pleased with the way we played today.'

Former Kilmarnock striker Kris Boyd put Rangers ahead two minutes from the interval when he took a pass from Croatian forward Dado Prso in the box and cracked a low shot into the left corner.

But Frazer Wright headed his first goal for Kilmarnock on 63 minutes from a Gary Wales corner after beating Rangers keeper Allan McGregor to the ball at the near post.

Boyd grabbed his second with five minutes left when he gathered another Prso pass on the left of the box and drilled a low shot into the middle of the net.

However, Hutton handled a cross from Spanish sub David Fernandez and Naismith blasted the spot kick high into the net

The home side had been denied two strong penalty claims in the first half.

Rangers keeper Allan McGregor brought Naismith down at a corner but referee Alan Freeland waved away heated protests and dismissed another claim when Boyd appeared to handle a Colin Nish cross.

'I know Rangers had a lot of great chances in the first half and were the better side,' Kilmarnock manager Jim Jefferies said.

'We changed it with a couple of players in the second half. I think the penalty was overdue because we had a couple of shouts before that and were unlucky on the first two occasions.'

Rangers sign Papac after racking up air miles

GLASGOW, Sept 1 (Reuters) - Rangers have confirmed the signing of Bosnian international defender Sasa Papac on a three-year deal.

The Scottish Premier League side flew Papac to Glasgow to complete the move before the midnight transfer deadline on Thursday and jetted him back to his country's international training camp, Rangers said on their website.

The 26-year-old Austria Vienna defender had originally flown from Sarajevo to Malta with Bosnia-Herzegovina before Rangers flew him out to sign and jetted him back for their Euro 2008 Group C qualifier with Malta on Saturday.

'It has been a crazy day,' Papac told the website.

'But it has all been worth it because I was determined that I would make this transfer. it is fantastic for me to join a great club like this.

Rangers v Falkirk: Preview

PA

Rangers manager Paul Le Guen is confident his team is ready to cope with one of the most important months of their season.

The Ibrox club will play seven games before the end of September and will be hoping to make their mark in the Bank of Scotland Premier League, UEFA Cup and CIS Insurance Cup.

The gruelling schedule begins with Saturday's visit of Falkirk in the SPL.

Twenty-four hours later, Ibrox number two Yves Colleu will travel to Norway to collate a dossier on UEFA Cup opponents Molde ahead of Thursday's UEFA Cup first-round, first-leg tie.

A CIS Insurance Cup tie at Dunfermline is sandwiched between crucial SPL games against Hibernian and Celtic, before Rangers play host to Molde in the return leg at Ibrox.

Rounding off a hectic month is the visit of Aberdeen but Le Guen insists his players are ready for the challenge.

``I know it will be difficult,'' he said. ``But I know we have a better team now, a better squad, and everyone can recognise that.

``We deserved to win at Kilmarnock and if we play every game like that we will be in the situation to win.

``If we carry on working like that, and if the spirit of the team stays like that, I am confident.

``It's an important month. We will play tough games but we will see how our squad is able to play. It will be good for them.

``It's a new start for us. We will play every three or four days now but the squad is ready to reach their aim.''

Rangers skipper Barry Ferguson could make his long-awaited return from injury in the game against Falkirk.

The midfielder has recovered from the heel injury he picked up in pre-season and is back in contention, along with winger Chris Burke who has shaken off an ankle injury.

However, goalkeeper Lionel Letizi looks set to be sidelined for another week with a thigh strain, meaning Allan McGregor is likely to remain between the sticks.

Bosnia defender Sasa Papac is still waiting for a visa to make his debut against the Bairns.

Falkirk midfielder Russell Latapy insists his lack of game time at the World Cup has had its upside after he picked up the Bank of Scotland Premier League's player of the month award for August.

The 38-year-old spent the summer considering his future in football, with manager John Hughes fearing the Trinidad and Tobago international would use the tournament in Germany to bow out of the game.

However, the former Rangers and Hibernian player managed only a second-half substitute's role in the Soca Warriors' final group match against Paraguay and has since opted to play on.

The Bairns have benefited from that decision, with his virtuoso early-season performances earning him three out of five man-of-the-match awards and two goals during August.

And Latapy admits he is currently relishing life in the twilight of his career.

He said: ``At the end of last season my body was a bit tired and I wasn't playing as regularly, so obviously questions come into your head.

``But I had a good summer's preparation at the World Cup - because I didn't play that much - and I had a good rest after.

``So I've come back a bit fitter and stronger and the team is passing the ball around.

``As long as I'm having fun and my body is allowing me to, and I'm contributing in a positive manner, then I would love to keep playing.

``What I don't want to do is let down the club and the fans and the manager, so if that begins to happen then it will be a question of me re-thinking the whole situation and having a word with the manager.''

Falkirk striker John Stewart may be forced to miss the trip to Rangers.

The former Aberdeen man is still recovering from an Achilles injury while forward Graham Barrett and defender Craig Ireland (both knee) are still out.

New Bairns signing from Arsenal, Anthony Stokes, will be included in the squad.

A good result for us. I think spit wont be to happy!

Rangers 4-0 Falkirk

PA

Rangers finally found their goalscoring touch to rack up a 4-0 win over Falkirk in the Bank of Scotland Premier League.

They had been guilty of squandering too many chances this season, resulting in dropped points against Dundee United, Dunfermline and Kilmarnock.

But Gers new boy Phil Bardsley, Dado Prso, Kris Boyd and Thomas Buffel all helped themselves to a goal apiece to secure a convincing victory against the Bairns.

It was a win befitting of a day which was dominated by a tribute to former Rangers manager Bill Struth, who died 50 years ago this month.

The main stand was renamed in honour of the man who spent an incredible 34 years at the Ibrox helm, winning 18 championships, and who once famously declared: ``Let others come after us. We welcome the chase.''

Right now, it is Rangers who are doing the chasing, with Old Firm rivals Celtic maintaining their one-point lead at the top of the table with a win over Aberdeen earlier in the day.

But, after dropping two points at Kilmarnock in their last game, the victory over Falkirk steered Rangers back on track for their own title chase.

They were boosted by the return of Barry Ferguson, who started on the bench, before making his long-awaited comeback after a five-month absence through injury.

Bardsley and Chris Burke were drafted in after recovering from food poisoning and an ankle injury respectively, while Falkirk boss John Hughes handed on-loan Arsenal signing Anthony Stokes his debut.

It was Burke who had the biggest impact on the game early on, creating chances for Boyd and Julien Rodriguez, both of which were spurned.

But it was Bardsley, making only his second start for Rangers, who grabbed the opener after 18 minutes.

A Kenny Milne foul on Boyd won a free-kick 30 yards out and Manchester United loan signing Bardsley opened his account for the Ibrox club with an expertly-placed free-kick, which he left nestling in the bottom corner of the net.

Falkirk's chances were few and a long, low effort from Patrick Cregg was easily smothered by Allan McGregor, who remained between the sticks in the absence of injured first-choice keeper Lionel Letizi.

Instead, it was Rangers who had the ball in the back of the net again with 27 minutes gone.

Brahim Hemdani skipped past Thomas Scobbie on the right flank, before cutting back to Prso, and the Croatian hitman fired past helpless keeper Scott Higgins from 10 yards.

Rangers then had a couple of great chances to add to their lead. Prso threaded the ball through to Boyd, who screwed well wide with only the keeper to beat, before a thunderous effort from Burke crashed off the crossbar.

Ibrox erupted at the restart when Ferguson was introduced to the action in place of Libor Sionko.

Falkirk also made a change on the hour mark when Pedro Moutinho made way for John Stewart, who beat last week's transfer deadline to make the move from Aberdeen.

A superb reflex block from Higgins prevented Rangers from adding to their lead when he managed to deny Burke, who was then replaced by Filip Sebo.

Goalscoring duties were left instead to Boyd, who was tripped in the box by Darren Barr before blasting high into the net from the penalty spot after 67 minutes.

Prso made way for Buffel for the last 20 minutes, before Stokes limped off the park, allowing Tom McManus to make his Bairns debut.

It was Buffel who had the biggest impact of those introductions when he left the net bulging with a superb opportunistic strike from the edge of the area with 13 minutes to go.

It should have been five when Sebo found himself in front of a gaping net, but somehow managed to blast wide of the target.

• 2 weeks later...