The Glasgow Rangers Thread.

Jockstar

What the ###### is going on at Rangers?

Ferguson stripped of captaincy after Le Guen row

Rangers boss Paul Le Guen has axed captain Barry Ferguson from his first team as the Ibrox turmoil took a dramatic twist.

Gavin Rae will captain instead of Ferguson in tomorrow night's Bank of Scotland Premier League match at Motherwell.

Le Guen will elaborate on the reasons for dropping Ferguson after the match, although tonight it cast doubt on the midfielder's Ibrox future.

Cracks began to appear when Le Guen questioned the importance of a captain's role a few weeks ago, prompting Ferguson to hit back in the press.

Today's move suggests Ferguson could have played his final game under Le Guen.

The former Lyon boss is once again under pressure after Saturday's 1-1 draw with St Mirren left Rangers third in the SPL and trailing Old Firm rivals Celtic by 17 points.

However, Le Guen has demonstrated in the past that he is not afraid of making difficult decisions.

He sent Fernando Ricksen home from the pre-season trip to South Africa following an altercation with an air stewardess on the team flight.

Ricksen then joined Zenit St Petersburg on loan, before making the move to Russia a permanent one.

Phil Bardsley also failed to play for Rangers again after Le Guen banned him from the UEFA Cup game in Livorno after the on-loan Manchester United defender was involved in a training-ground incident with team-mate Thomas Buffel.

Rangers fans have demanded an explanation from the club.

John Macmillan, secretary of the Rangers Supporters' Clubs, said: 'I am absolutely astounded - almost lost for words. The fans need to be told openly what is happening, it's the least they deserve.

'We need to be given reasons and there should be a clear and concise statement explaining what's going on in the next 24 hours.'

He added: 'The majority of the fans believe one of the few players displaying the fighting spirit needed is Barry Ferguson, while others have not shown it at all.

'There are not enough players putting their heart into the jersey but Ferguson cannot be accused of that. He has displayed the proper spirit of a captain.'

Macmillan admits he is also baffled by the decision to hand the armband to Rae, who recently revealed he is considering quitting Rangers this month in search of first-team football.

The fans' chief added: 'Again, I'm astonished. He is a guy who has made himself available if any club wants to make a bid for him and he is someone who has barely played.

'If he is considered good enough to be club captain, why has he not featured in the team more regularly? It's a very strange decision.'

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is no doubting LeGuen's track record in France before coming to Ibrox but is he really the man for Rangers? He has made some very poor buys and he doesn't appear to have an indepth knowledge of Scottish football.

What Rangers seem to need is a manager that knows the club. Either an ex-player or somebody who is familiar with Scottish football.

I don't know what will happen to Ferguson now. He already had a stint in the English Premiership with Blackburn and failed to make the grade and I doubt any club in Scotland, apart from Celtic, could match his wage demands.

6 January 2007

PAUL WAS SUNK BY BEVVY CULTURE

ALL CHANGE AT IBROX... Mate reveals Le Guen couldn't get his head round players drinking

By Craig Swan

PAUL LE GUEN quit Rangers because of the bevvy culture at Ibrox, according to his old Lyon boss Bernard Lacombe.

The French coach left Ibrox on Thursday in sensational fashion after just eight months in the job after a showdown meeting with chairman David Murray.

It is understood Murray opted to replace his manager because he was given the impression Le Guen was not fully committed to the cause.

However, it has been suggested the Frenchman could not get his head around the drinking culture he believes still exists in the Scottish game.

And Lyon general manager Lacombe has added fuel to the speculation after revealing his thoughts on why Le Guen could not handle the lifestyle at Rangers.

Lacombe said: "Knowing Paul, it was difficult for him to accept some things. For example, when some players arrived for training in the morning in states not considered correct with the job of a footballer. I think when you cross the line, some excesses are not acceptable, especially when you know the problems some players had in the past with alcohol."

Advertisement

Lacombe's outburst will shock Mu r ray and the Ranger s supporters as Le Guen gets set for a new life at former club Paris St Germain.

Chairman Alain Cayzac is under huge pressure to replace current boss Guy Lacombe and the fans in Paris want their former skipper Le Guen to take charge.

Bernard Lacombe insists Rangers' loss will be French football's gain and said: "It would be good if Paul came back to the French league. At least we'd have a great French coach in the league.

"He won't be long without a job and I think he'll find something before the end of the season."

Guy Lacombe reckons the former Rangers boss is a leading candidate to take his job at the French giants.

Lacombe's position looks increasingly precarious following Le Guen's resignation.

Despite his flawed Rangers reign, Le Guen's name has been on the top of a PSG shortlist since early November after a string of bad results saw them plummet down the division.

Now, without a win in seven games, they are in 16th place, just two points off the relegation zone and set to call time on Lacombe's 13-month reign.

He said: "You never know what is going to happen in this job. Who is sure? Look at Paul Le Guen. The other day we thought his club had made the choice. Now, apparently it's the opposite of that choice.

"You know he could still, potentially, become the manager of PSG and I know there is a mutual respect between the two of us." Ironically, Lacombe is only in his post because Le Guen rebuffed his old club's approaches in December 2005.

Six months into his year-long sabbatical from football Le Guen was offered the job at the club he led to European Cup-Winners' Cup success as a player.

But at the time his stock was at an all-time high, having just left Lyon on the back of three straight title wins, and he wanted to land a prime job out with France.

And despite that snub and his desperately poor eight-month reign at Rangers, Le Guen's reputation is still intact in his homeland.

The chance to take over at PSG could now appeal to Le Guen who would see this as a quick return to top-level management in a country that believes in his talents.

PSG are still regarded as one of the three biggest clubs in France with the potential to challenge Lyon's domestic stranglehold with the right coach and funding. And while Le Guen is acutely aware the Paris side are renowned for their constant managerial changes it would still hold strong appeal to him.

But while he waits in the wings, Lacombe is adamant he is the right man to take PSG forward - having received the dreaded vote of confidence from club president Alain Cayzac last week.

Grilled by the Parisien media as he unveiled his new signing Marcello Gallardo, Lacombe added: "Ask this one question.

Why hasn't Paul become the manager of PSG before now?

"How much confidence are you going to give to Alain Cayzac in all of this? He sees a manager who is working very hard to get to the bottom of all the problems.

"He can well see I'm doing everything I can with what I've got to work with here.

"My big hope is in the future all of my work will begin to count for something. I've always said with hard work and talent we'll succeed.

Smith's Rangers return marked by 5-0 win

GLASGOW, Jan 13 (Reuters) - New Rangers manager Walter Smith began his second spell at the club with an emphatic 5-0 home win over Dundee United on Saturday in the Scottish Premier League.

Charlie Adam lobbed a spectacular 40-metre opener in 23 minutes after United goalkeeper Derek Stillie raced out of his box to slide the ball away from Kris Boyd only for his clearance to land at the feet of the Rangers midfielder.

Chris Burke headed home an easy second in 36 minutes from three metres and Boyd rammed in the third from seven metres following a good run and low cross from Spanish forward Nacho Novo.

Boyd made it 4-0 with a close-range header from Adam's cross and captain Barry Ferguson rounded Stillie to slot home the fifth in 88 minutes for Rangers' biggest win of the season.

Rangers reduced the gap at the top of the SPL to 14 points, but leaders Celtic with 56 points from 23 games play at Hearts on Sunday. Third-placed Aberdeen drew 1-1 at home to Inverness Caledonian Thistle and have 39 points.

Updated: Jan. 18, 2007

'I thought I was finished at Rangers' - Ferguson

Barry Ferguson believed his Rangers career was over and his relationship with chairman Sir David Murray ruined after falling out with former manager Paul Le Guen.

The Scotland skipper was stripped of the Rangers captaincy and axed from the first team by Le Guen at the start of January, after being accused of trying to undermine the Frenchman's authority.

And when Ferguson was called into Murray's Edinburgh office for talks about his future, the 28-year-old expected to be told to prepare for a transfer.

Ferguson told The Sun: 'I can confess now that when I went to meet the chairman I thought I was finished at Rangers.'

The pair had always been close, however Ferguson explained: 'There had been strains on our relationship with all that had happened. But we sat and chatted about things that will always stay confidential.

'I gave him my side of the story and it was left up to Walter Smith whether I would stay.'

Nine days after being stripped of his duties by Le Guen, the Frenchman was gone and Scotland boss Smith resigned to take over at Ibrox.

Ferguson regained the captaincy for Saturday's match against Dundee United, and he added: 'When Walter said I was captain again, all the sadness that had been around me started to clear.'

Rangers striker shelves retirement plans

Rangers striker Dado Prso is set to put retirement plans on hold and play on into next season.

The Croatian frontman, 32, had hinted that knee injury problems would prompt him to quit the game at the end of the current campaign.

However his agent, Ranko Stojic, believes Walter Smith would be happy to keep Prso for one more year.

Smith came out in praise of Prso's influence on the team this week, and has rued the fact a hamstring injury will keep him sidelined for at least a month.

Stojic told the Daily Record's Glasgow PM edition: 'Dado wants to stay at Rangers and I have had good dialogue with the club.

'They also want him to stay because not only is he good on the field, he is inspirational off it as well.

'Dado was going to call it a day but is now feeling much better about his fitness despite his latest injury.

'He really wants to carry on playing with Rangers and I see no reason why they won't offer him a new deal.'

Dunfermline 0-1 Rangers

PA

Rangers took their revenge for their recent Tennent's Scottish Cup exit at the hands of Dunfermline by taking all three points in a 1-0 win at East End Park in the Bank of Scotland Premier League.

Charlie Adam grabbed the only goal of the game in a match that was far less convincing than last week's 5-0 rout over Dundee United.

However, the win allowed new Rangers manager Walter Smith to maintain a 100% record since his return to Ibrox.

The shock 3-2 cup defeat at the same venue a fortnight ago came in the wake of Paul Le Guen's departure when Ibrox legend Ian Durrant took charge of team affairs for one game.

Smith was installed as Rangers manager within days and immediately lifted morale with a convincing victory in his first game.

The big question now was whether the veteran boss could succeed where Le Guen failed by building on that result and bringing some much-needed consistency to the club.

He made two changes following last week's triumphant return to the Ibrox hotseat.

The first chance fell to Rangers when Novo beat McGuire to the ball only to see his shot come off the knees of de Vries.

At the other end, Jim O'Brien's inswinging corner drew gasps when it eluded everyone in the Rangers box before falling just wide of the post.

The home side were threatening again when Hamilton released Stevie Crawford into the box and he forced Gers goalkeeper Allan McGregor into a decent save.

But it was Rangers who took the lead after just nine minutes when Novo sent a cross fizzing across the face of goal and Adam did well to fire home from the tightest of angles.

Only a fine save from de Vries prevented Dunfermline falling further behind when he palmed a point-blank shot from Barry Ferguson to safety.

Rangers pressed in search of a second goal and de Vries was called into action again to block a long-range drive from Novo.

Chris Burke was then released down the right flank by Ferguson and embarked on an impressive run only for his efforts to end in vain when he blasted well over the crossbar.

However, Dunfermline could have snatched the equaliser just before the break when Karl Svensson was forced into some last-gasp defending to block a Crawford effort.

Dunfermline made their first change at the interval, handing on-loan Liverpool winger Adam Hamill his debut in place of Bobby Ryan.

However, it was Rangers who were the more productive team after the restart.

Adam came close to adding to his tally, before Ferguson was denied by de Vries.

Greg Ross and Hamilton were both booked in quick succession, for a foul on Burke and dissent respectively, adding to the yellow card picked up by team-mate McGuire in the first period.

Still Rangers pressed and Kris Boyd should have done better when he was set up for the header by Weir only to nod wide of the target.

Thomas Buffel was thrown into the action for the final 20 minutes, replacing Burke.

Boyd was then denied by a one-handed save from de Vries, before Adam squandered the opportunity to grab his second of the day when he stabbed wide from the rebound.

Boyd was left shaking his head in disbelief again when Ferguson delivered a great ball across the face of goal and he missed completely at the far post.

Dunfermline had the chance to take something from the game when Hamill set up Hamilton for a close-range header but he somehow managed to nod an inch over.

• 2 weeks later...

Gow signs pre-contract deal with Rangers

Rangers have clinched the signing of Falkirk striker Alan Gow on a pre-contract agreement.

The 24-year-old will move to Ibrox at the end of the season and has signed a three-year deal.

Gow was the subject of three failed bids from Rangers during January as Falkirk succeeded in their aim to keep him with them until the end of the campaign, when his current contract expires.

Gow, who received a Scotland B call-up for next week's match against Finland B, will move on a free transfer at the end of the season.

He told the official Rangers website: 'I am pleased to sign a pre-contract with Rangers. However, I am fully committed to playing for Falkirk between now and the end of the season.'

The early move for Gow was finalised this evening, with Rangers signing a player who manager Walter Smith believes can add quality to his attacking options.

Earlier in the day Rangers stressed there was no transfer imminent, however the mutual desire from player and club to link up next season meant it became a simple deal to complete.

Rangers are believed to have offered Falkirk in the region of £150,000, plus add-ons based on performance, in order to land Gow last month.

However Falkirk's aspirations of finishing in the top six of the Bank of Scotland Premier League meant they turned down the approach.

Gow has so far kept his counsel regarding the transfer, and has given no public indication of frustration in respect to Falkirk's stance.

He has now obtained the move he wanted all along and could join Danish striker Adda Djeziri at Rangers.

Djeziri has joined the Light Blues on loan from BK Frem until the end of the season.

The 18-year-old was recruited before the transfer window closed last night, and will now have the chance to earn a permanent move to Ibrox.

Djeziri said: 'It's a big club. Everything about the club is good and it works well for everyone, so I am very pleased.'

The low-profile deal may not have an immediate impact on the first team, but Rangers will be hoping that Djeziri does enough to justify a long-term stay in Glasgow.

Previous Danes to have enjoyed success at Ibrox include Brian Laudrup and Peter Lovenkrands.

BK Frem head coach Anders Theil said: 'It is of course a shame that we won't have Adda here this spring, but he has the chance to prove himself in Scotland.

'It's good for Adda, and he could join Rangers after the loan period and BK Frem could receive some money.'

Theil said: 'He's got good potential and he's a very quick player, but he is still young.

'I don't think he will be near the first team in the first half year, although they have the option to buy him in the summer.'

What's the point of Rangers signing Gow? Having watched him, he is a decent player for Falkirk but he isn't going to help Rangers compete with Celtic or set Europe alight. More than likely he'll just be used sparingly as a sub before being transfered to the lower reaches of the English leagues. All it does is deprive teams like Falkirk of a decent player and any chance of building a strong team.

Boyd hits hat-trick as Gers brush Kilmarnock aside

GLASGOW, Feb 11 (Reuters) - Striker Kris Boyd netted a hat-trick, including two penalties, as second-placed Rangers crushed Kilmarnock 3-1 away on Sunday.

Boyd opened his account on eight minutes from a controversial spot-kick awarded against defender Simon Ford, who appeared to bring down the striker outside the box.

Rangers captain Barry Ferguson unluckily had a header ruled out for offside but Boyd headed his second on the half hour when he guided a six metre effort back across keeper Alan Combe from Alan Hutton's cross on the right.

Kilmarnock's Peter Leven had his 56th-minute penalty brilliantly pushed away by keeper Allan McGregor before Boyd slotted in his third with yet another spot kick on 59 minutes.

Steve Naismith bundled a close range header over the line 17 minutes from time for Kilmarnock's consolation.

Celtic top the standings with 68 points from 27 games following Saturday's 1-0 home win over Hibernian. Rangers have 49 from 27 while Aberdeen are third on 45 from 26.

Victory came at a cost to Rangers with new signings Kevin Thomson and Uho Ehiogu suffering hamstring strains that make them doubtful for Wednesday's UEFA Cup tie against Hapoel Tel Aviv in Israel.

'Once we get them to the training ground tomorrow morning we will assess them and whether they can travel,' manager Walter Smith told BBC radio.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated: Feb. 22, 2007, 12:00 PM UK

Rangers 4-0 Hapoel Tel Aviv: Gers power through

Rangers powered their way through to the last 16 of the UEFA Cup after a comprehensive 4-0 win over Hapoel Tel Aviv at Ibrox.

A double by Barry Ferguson and a Kris Boyd strike, in addition to a late counter by substitute Charlie Adam, gave the enthusiastic Govan side a 5-2 victory on aggregate.

• Smith to appeal keeper dismissal

However, the Scots side will have to go into the next round without keeper Allan McGregor who was sensationally sent off after the Ibrox men had notched the third goal through skipper Ferguson in the 72nd minute.

As the visitors tried to retrieve the ball to re-start the game McGregor foolishly got involved with Hapoel substitute Luciano De Bruno and was sent packing as the Hapoel player lay prostrate on the pitch.

Substitute keeper Stefan Klos had to replace striker Nacho Novo but Rangers still had enough with 10 men to make it four, Adam slotting home a Gavin Rae pass deep into injury time.

There can be no mistaking the inferiority of this competition in relation to the Champions League but given their poor season to date, manager Walter Smith and the Light Blues fans will be more than happy to continue their participation in Europe.

The Govan club certainly made every effort to get the fans worked up into a frenzy before the game and it paid off.

Every seat in the 50,000-plus capacity stadium had either a St Andrews cross or a Union flag laid on it which, along with an ear-splitting noise, made for a spectacular eruption as the two teams entered the fray.

Perhaps inspired by the pre-match hullabaloo, the Ibrox side started in a frenzy, with wide-men Chris Burke and Novo showing their intent with several driving runs.

But despite the Light Blues' bluster, there was enough fragility in evidence at the back to promise a nervy night for the home fans.

However, the opening goal from Ferguson within 24 minutes put an end to gently simmering tensions inside Ibrox.

Burke combined with Novo down the right and when the Spaniard hammered his cross into the penalty area the Ibrox skipper arrived on cue to slam home from 16 yards.

And 10 minutes later, after yet another glaring error by the visitors saw the home side double their lead.

After another Rangers attack had run out of steam, Hapoel skipper Yossi Abuksis inexplicably tried to play the ball across his own to box only to hit the lurking Boyd on the chest.

The ball fell kindly into the path of the Scotland striker who did what he does best, burying the ball low past the helpless Shavit Elimelech.

The rather scrappy and erratic match continued apace after the interval.

Hapoel showed enough in flashes to suggest they could get the goal that could take the game to the wire.

There was no doubting the anxiety sweeping the stadium although fans' favourite Dado Prso was brought on for Boyd just after the hour mark in an attempt to gee the home support up.

And the move paid off in the 72nd minute when, with the help of yet another mistake the from the visitors, the third goal arrived. Alan Hutton intercepted a slack pass from Yigal Antebi and the ball fell to Prso who simply forged ahead before crossing into Ferguson to slot past Elimelech from 10 yards out.

But before the game restarted, McGregor seemed to get involved in an altercation with substitute De Bruno.

After several moments of chaos, with the Hapoel player still on the ground, it emerged that McGregor had been sent off. Novo was then substituted for Klos and although the final moments took place amid a general din of angry Rangers fans, the home side stretched their lead in injury time when Adam, on for Brahim Hemdani, slotted away the fourth.

• Smith to appeal keeper dismissal

Rangers manager Walter Smith is set to appeal the red card picked up by Allan McGregor during tonight's UEFA Cup triumph over Hapoel Tel Aviv at Ibrox.

A 4-0 win on the night - 5-2 on aggregate - saw Gers progress to the last 16 of the tournament, where they will face Spanish side Osasuna.

But the shine was taken off the victory when McGregor was sent packing immediately after Rangers' third goal for an altercation with Hapoel substitute Luciano de Bruno.

The straight red card means McGregor faces an automatic ban for the next round but he has told Smith he did not strike the Israeli player and the Rangers boss is determined to fight the ban.

Smith said: 'It's a difficult one for us.

'My own view was I'm in the stand and the ball was kicked up the pitch in frustration.

'I saw their player run after it and kick the ball at Brahim Hemdani and Allan McGregor, who were there.

'I'm not really clear what happened after that but Allan McGregor, himself, says there is no way he touched the player.

'I have to take his word for that and I do take his word for that.

'I don't think, at that stage of the game, there was any reason for him to react. If Rangers had lost a goal, there may have been that type of reaction.

'I don't know what the situation is in terms of whether we can appeal. If we can appeal, we will.'

Barry Ferguson - who grabbed a double tonight - was cleared by UEFA to play after Hapoel accused him of elbowing one of their players in the first leg.

And Smith is disappointed to see another performance overshadowed by an off-the-ball flashpoint.

He added: 'Like the first game with Barry Ferguson, it's a good headline.

'I just hope the incident doesn't overshadow the game because it was a really good performance from us overall.'

The incident was also missed by Hapoel coach Nir Levin, who admitted: 'I didn't see what happened with McGregor but from what I think, he hit De Bruno. That's what the referee said.'

However, Levin does dispute Kris Boyd's goal, Rangers' second of the night, claiming he handled the ball before firing home.

He added: 'I heard the second goal was surely by hand. I didn't see the hand touch but I was told from the television pictures that it hit his hand.'

Boyd's strike was sandwiched between Ferguson's brace and Charlie Adam sealed the win with goal number four deep into injury time.

But, as far as Smith is concerned, there is only one candidate for man of the match.

'Barry Ferguson has been terrific for us,' he said. 'Since I came back as manager, he has been outstanding.

'This evening, he was excellent. He had the freedom to play further forward tonight and the two goals were a bonus for us and for him.

'That aside, I felt he led the team extremely well and his overall performance was fantastic.'

• 2 weeks later...

Rangers v Osasuna: Preview

PA

Rangers manager Walter Smith believes skipper Barry Ferguson could be on his way to setting an unbeatable European record as an Ibrox player.

When the Scotland midfielder takes to the field at Ibrox in the first leg of the UEFA Cup last-16 clash against Osasuna, he will equal Rangers legend John Greig's tally of 64 European appearances.

Greig's record has stood since 1977 when he played his last match in Europe for the Light Blues against Young Boys of Berne in Switzerland.

Smith is aware that the transient nature of the modern-day player means 29-year-old Ferguson's European career could go unmatched by any future Gers player.

Smith said: 'When did John Greig play his last European match?

'It's not going to come around a great deal so hopefully he can set a level that might be impossible for any other player to catch.

'But you never know. Great clubs have players who start young and stay with them so you don't know what can happen in the future.

'But certainly I still think it is a tremendous achievement for any player.

'He's 29, he's equalling that record held by someone who is widely regarded as the greatest ever Ranger and he will hope to play in a lot more games before he finishes his career.

'I just hope his performance is similar to the one that he had at Ibrox a few days ago (against Hapoel Tel-Aviv) and if it is then I think we can look forward to a good evening.'

Ferguson's Ibrox career was in the balance earlier in the season when he was dropped and stripped of the captaincy by former boss Paul Le Guen.

However, any chance of the Scotland midfielder leaving the club he had been at since his early teens dissipated when Smith replaced the Frenchman.

Ferguson has returned to form under Smith, playing more recently in a more advanced midfield role, but the Ibrox boss was reluctant to take any credit for the turnaround in his captain's fortunes.

He said: 'It was an awkward time for everybody, for players and the previous management.

'It has settled down now and all we can ask is that Barry continues to play in the manner which he has.

'There wasn't a lot said to him when I came in.

'The way he is playing now is down to him and I think he just wanted to show everybody how much he wanted to play for Rangers and how much it meant to him to be the captain of the club.

'He can continue to play in that (advanced) role but he is obviously a talented enough player to adjust to other roles as well.

'But he is happy doing what he is doing at the moment and his form has been fantastic over the period.'

Perhaps many more eyes at Ibrox will be on goalkeeper Stefan Klos who comes in from the cold to replace Allan McGregor, who was suspended for two matches after being sent off against Hapoel Tel Aviv in the previous round.

Klos came on for the lat 17 minutes against Hapoel but was back on the bench for the Bank of Scotland Premier League win over Hibernian at Easter Road on Sunday.

However, Smith has no qualms about the German making his first start for the Light Blues since playing against Dunfermline just under a year ago.

He said: 'We couldn't have a more experienced goalkeeper ready to come in.

'It happens at a lot of clubs where a keeper has a long run of games, something happens to him then the reserve keeper has to come in.

'There is bound to be a little bit of rustiness but hopefully the adrenaline on the evening can help alleviate that.

'I don't think that it will be a problem but hopefully we will play well enough that our goalkeeper has nothing to do.'

From The Daily Record

9 March 2007

RANGERS 1 OSASUNA 1

Desperate Dani hands Rangers last-gasp lifeline - but they face Spanish mission without banned Baz

By Keith Jackson

RANGERS are still alive in the UEFA Cup but only just after a late fightback earned them a draw at Ibrox last night.

They still face a huge task to make it through to the last eight but things looked like being a lot worse as Walter Smith's side huffed and puffed and got nowhere for most of this first leg.

The Spanish side are no more than workmanlike, as their placing in the league would indicate, but they managed to make Rangers look second rate until near the end when Brahim Hemdani grabbed a goal that gives Smith some hope for the return game in Pamplona on Wednesday.

This strike cancelled out Raul Garcia's first-half opener, although the away goal ensured the Spanish players left the field the happier bunch.

Maybe it was the gusty, chill wind and the steady rain that came cascading in under the floodlights.

Maybe it was just nervous tension taking hold.

Advertisement

Whatever the reason, Ibrox was in a morgue-like state as the teams limbered up.

But for the constant chanting of the Spanish supporters, who had packed themselves into their little corner long before the locals had bothered to turn up, the place may even have seemed a little creepy.

It was strangely subdued. With as little as 15 minutes to go before kick-off, not even half of the home supporters were in place and those who were just chatted quietly among themselves.

This was hardly the seething cauldron that Osasuna had been told to expect. Ibrox wasn't even lukewarm.

It wasn't until Andy Cameron appeared, in blue suit and football boots, to announce the teams that the four slopes slowly began to come to life.

Exactly what the visiting section made of this bizarre spectacle is anyone's guess but it did the job.

Osasuna's players re-emerged into an entirely different arena. Suddenly the place was growling at them.

But it wasn't be long before the locals were snarling at Rangers, so sloppy was their early play.

Rangers were a yard slower than the Spaniards all over the pitch and this lackadaisical approach invited Osasuna to spend most of the first 15 minutes deep inside the Scottish team's half where they were able to zip the ball around with disturbing ease.

So comfortable were they that skipper Inaki Munoz felt brave enough to land a blow square on Kevin Thomson's jaw just yards away from a referee who seemed every bit as reluctant as Rangers' players to take serious issue with the La Liga side.

In fact, the Dutch official went one better and awarded a free-kick to Munoz and when the ball was delivered into the penalty area the powerfully-built Cameroon striker Pierre Webo rose to thud a header towards goal and force Klos into his first save. The German needed two attempts to grasp the ball.

This was worrying stuff. And quickly the situation would become far more serious.

With 16 minutes on the clock, Osasuna were gifted an almost identical, dead-ball situation after a Charlie Adam foul.

Juanlu took it quickly before the Rangers defence was organised and Raul Garcia jumped among the confusion to glance a peach of a header in at Klos' right-hand post from 10 yards.

It was not until after two Spaniards, Jaunlu and Garcia, were booked for fouls on Chris Burke that Rangers responded with any kind of purpose.

With Osauna players throwing themselves around looking for cheap free-kicks, it took Rangers to lose their temper to find a foothold in the match.

But during this tetchy period of play came another disaster when Ferguson swung an arm and Javad Nekunam seized the opportunity to go down as if his nose had just been shot clean off his face by a sniper.

Out came the yellow card once again and out Ferguson will now go from next week's second leg.

He had 62 minutes left to make a difference to the tie and, at the very least, give his team-mates some reason to travel over to Pamplona without him.

But Ferguson's desperation to get involved led him to drop too deep into his old midfield role.

He succeeded only in stepping on the toes of Thomson and Hemdani, leaving Kris Boyd hopelessly isolated. In fact, Boyd was having the kind of night that tends to make him look hopeless in general.

The striker's touch was out and his body language all wrong.

By half-time Smith's team, which lacked pace and creativity in advanced areas, really was in need of urgent surgery.

Smith knew it, too. Adam was told to stay indoors and Nacho Novo was sent out to run the right flank, with Burke switching to the left.

It was a positive move from Smith and one he should probably have made before kick-off.

Before his adjustments could make any impact on the contest, Alan Hutton went into the book for a foul that was not half as bad as Jaunlu, who was on the receiving end, made out.

Rangers then flirted with utter catastrophe when, after another string of sloppy passing, they allowed Munoz to ghost on to a superb through ball and into a one on one with Klos.

The Spaniard looked a certain scorer but Klos rolled back the years to hurl himself low to his right and make a terrific save.

Again this jolted Rangers and moments later Novo was off and running, scuttling on to Hutton's pass and drilling a cross into the six-yard box that smacked off Javier Cuellar and fizzed over the defender's own crossbar. It was as close as any player had come to scoring for Rangers.

From the resulting corner, Thomson almost came up with something stunning, letting rip on the volley from 20 yards and forcing Ricardo Lopez into a wonderful save at his top right-hand corner.

It was a magnificent effort from Thomson but the former Hibs player was sacrificed soon after to make way for talisman Dado Prso as Smith went for broke.

The introduction of the big Croatian immediately inspired the Light Blues who increased the pressure but the visitors looked just as likely to get a second on the counter attack.

In the 74th minute, Ferguson fired a free-kick from 25 yards round the defensive wall but round the post, a symbol of a wretched night for the Scots.

At the other end, Klos again had to rescue Rangers with a block from Munoz and it looked as if Rangers would be lucky to escape with only a one-goal deficit.

However, in the first minute of injury time Hemdani gave the home side some hope when he curled in a wonderful drive from 25 yards.

The feeling of relief around the stadium was obvious as players and fans celebrated as if they had achieved something wonderful.

In fact, they had had salvaged only a bit of dignity.

The plain fact of the matter is that if Smith's men cannot raise their game any higher than this they would be as well cancelling the plane for Spain for the second leg.

Osasuna left the field quietly confident that a last-eight place is as good as theirs.

They saw nothing to fear last night and Smith will have to come up with something special to get Rangers through.

Smith admits Rangers were 'flattered' by draw

Rangers manager Walter Smith admits his side were 'flattered' by their 1-1 draw with Osasuna in the first leg of their UEFA Cup last 16 tie at Ibrox.

Raul Garcia headed the visitors into the lead after 16 minutes and only crucial saves from goalkeeper Stefan Klos - standing in for the suspended Allan McGregor - preventing the home side falling further behind.

However, there was a late moment of drama which gave the Govan men a lifeline for the return game in Pamplona on Wednesday.

Tonight's match seemed to be petering out for a comfortable win for the visitors when, in the first minute of injury-time, Gers midfielder Brahim Hemdani stepped up to fire in a wonderful equaliser from outside the box.

Smith, however, was not fooled by the result and said: 'I was disappointed in the way we played.

'We were flattered by the result.

'We didn't reach the levels that we have done and we were a big bit fortunate.

'There is great disappointment in the dressing room because in every aspect we were poor.

'The goal from Hemdani obviously puts us in a better position but we have to show we can play better than that.

'We beat Livorno in Italy this season so we will need a performance like that again.

'I just hope that there is no repeat of that performance tonight.'

Skipper Barry Ferguson picked up a second booking in the competition, which means he will miss the return game in Pamplona.

However, Smith could not get too animated about the loss of his captain.

He said: 'It's something that happens and it doesn't take much to get a yellow card.

'I thought it was an innocuous challenge he was booked for but there was nothing more disappointing than the manner in which we played.'

Smith did have a wry smile at the mention of Klos' performance.

The German started his first match in 11 months and, although there was plenty of apprehension before the game about possible rustiness, the veteran keeper's second-half saves kept the home side in the tie.

The Rangers boss said: 'There was lots of conjecture before the game but I was confident that he would do well.

'Maybe the concerns should have been elsewhere.

'I was pleased for him - his saves kept us in the game.'

Osasuna coach Jose Angel Ziganda refused to concede his side are now in pole position ahead of the second leg.

Asked if he now expected them to go through to the quarter-finals, he said: 'I don't think so. We played well and Rangers weren't at their best so I think it's still 50-50.

'We played one of our best games this season and I was very proud of the players.

'We made a mistake at the end to allow then to score but I am very happy with my players.

'Before the game, a 1-1 draw would have been good but the draw left a bad taste in our mouths.

'We should have been more clinical, but we didn't sit back when we went ahead, we kept going for goals.'

today was a good day for Rangers we beat celtic at celtic park.first half celtic had the lion share of the game and should have wraped it up but didnt.

second half rangers were a different team,they started to believe they could win and played some really good football and got a fine goal and could have scored more but one was enough. celtic may win the league but they know next year its going to be a lot harder :o

Great result. Although we cant catch Celtic. Its always good to beat them and next season WILL be different. This from soccernet.

Ugo Ehiogu's goal five minutes after the interval gave Rangers an unlikely 1-0 win over rivals Celtic in their Bank of Scotland Premier League clash at Parkhead.

• Ehiogu seals Gers win

The Ibrox side somehow survived a first-half pasting to go into the interval level as the Hoops missed a series of chances to take the lead.

And just after the break, following a Charlie Adam corner, the former England defender fired in an overhead kick to give the Light Blues all three points.

The visitors then gave as good as they got in the second period but there is no doubt that only profligacy prevented Celtic putting the game out of sight before the break.

A strange day started in a curious fashion when the team sheets came out.

The 7500 Rangers fans who occupied the corner of Celtic Park were probably questioning the inclusion of Filip Sebo whose last start for the Light Blues had been away at Inverness Caledonian Thistle on December 27.

The Hoops supporters offered the ultimate insult for an Old Firm rival by cheering the Slovakian's name when the teams were read out.

The Ibrox men made a point of going towards their own fans and gesturing to them before kick-off in a show of solidarity but it only preceded a first-half battering.

Kenny Miller missed a great chance in the fifth minute when he latched on to a Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink head-flick and ran through on goal but with only Allan McGregor to beat he lobbed the ball onto the roof of the net from the edge of the box.

Midfielder Evander Sno came close in the 11th minute when he pulled an angled drive from 16 yards wide of the far post.

Then Miller carelessly fired over the bar from 12 yards after taking possession of another Vennegoor of Hesselink pass.

It was mostly one-way traffic with Aiden McGeady the next to threaten for the home side when he fired a dipping shot inches wide of the far post from 20 yards with McGregor beaten.

In the 26th minute, as Rangers continued to wobble, defender Ian Murray reacted well to head a dangerous McGeady cross from the left away with McGregor again looking uncertain.

Rangers' first effort on goal came moments later when Sebo took a Brahim Hemdani pass inside the Celtic penalty area and turned before dispatching a left-footed drive but the effort did little to trouble keeper Artur Boruc.

However, Celtic soon regained control with Pressley heading a Shunsuke Nakamura corner wide when he might well have been expected to hit the target.

In the 34th minute, after Novo and Hemdani combined to foul Lee Naylor 25 yards from goal, Nakamura curled a trademark free-kick a yard over the bar.

Celtic resumed control almost as soon as the second half began and from Nakamura's free-kick from wide on the right, Sno beat McGregor to the ball only to head over from inside the six-yard .

But in the 50th minute the game took a dramatic and unexpected twist when the visitors took the lead after stopper Stephen McManus had conceded a corner to thwart the willing Alan Hutton.

Adam floated the ball into the back post from the right and the ball bounced around before David Weir helped it towards goal.

There still appeared to be no real danger to the Celtic goal but Ehiogu's overhead kick from 12 yards out beat Boruc and bounced in off the underside of the bar.

The complexion of the match changed instantly with Rangers pressing Celtic higher up the pitch with markedly more confidence than before the interval.

Fatigue seemed to be plaguing both sides after their midweek European exertions, especially the Hoops. The tireless Novo skinned Naylor down the right, drove along the by-line but failed to pick out a blue jersey with his cut back.

In the closing stages, the increasingly tetchy game sped from end to end with Novo causing all sorts of problems for the Parkhead defence down the wing.

Celtic forced a series of corners near the end but the Ibrox side saw out four minutes of injury time in reasonable comfort.

Ehiogu seals Gers win

Rangers defender Ugo Ehiogu compared his Old Firm debut to a cup final after scoring the only goal at Celtic Park.

The Englishman's 50th-minute overhead kick secured the Ibrox club's first win over Celtic in seven games after the Hoops dominated the first half.

He told Setanta Sports: 'The atmosphere, the tension, the build-up is like a cup final. It would be lovely to play one of those games once a week.

'I so enjoyed it and it's even more enjoyable when you win.'

He said of his goal: 'I thought I would throw myself at it. I thought the keeper had actually saved it, it was nice to see it nestle in.

'We dug in, we knew we were going to have to defend well. I don't think they have been beaten at home for a couple of years.

'We started to play football in patches and I thought we thoroughly deserved it.'

Fellow defender Alan Hutton hailed manager Walter Smith and his assistant Ally McCoist for getting the best out of the players.

He said: 'We prepared well, all the boys were up for it and it showed.

'Ally is a character in the dressing room and the gaffer knows what to say to us to get us up for it.

'Since they came in we have shown what we are all about.'

Smith said: 'We never got to grips with them in the first half, all credit to Celtic, they started very well, they were very quick with their passing.

'We gave away too many free-kicks but once we adjusted I felt we were far better.'

'In the second half we arguably had the best of the game.'

Celtic manager Gordon Strachan bemoaned the missed chances but was pleased with his side's overall display.

He said: 'I thought, 'This is probably as good as we have played against Rangers'. We had a lot of chances in the first half.

'This morning if I thought I would get that type of football in the first half I would have been very pleased.'

But he added: 'We got spooked a wee bit by the goal.'

• 3 weeks later...

Should be an interesting game! :o

Gers confirm Chelsea visit

Rangers have confirmed that Premiership champions Chelsea will visit Ibrox for a pre-season friendly on 28th July.

The Blues will make the trip to Scotland to give Rangers the ultimate test just one week before the start of the SPL season.

The two British giants last faced each other during another friendly fixture in 1986, whilst The Gers were also the guests for Ron Harris's testimonial in 1971.

Rangers assistant boss Ally McCoist has welcomed the news that Jose Mourinho's side will be making the trip north.

"To play against Chelsea will be terrific. It's a fabulous game for the fans," McCoist told the club's official website.

Chelsea are also planning to take in a pre-season tour to America, when David Beckham could make his debut for LA Galaxy in a prospective fixture against the London club on 21st July.

• 2 weeks later...

St Mirren 0-1 Rangers: Novo on target

PA

Rangers took another step towards clinching second place in the Bank of Scotland Premier League with a win over St Mirren - and denied Celtic the championship for another couple of weeks.

Nacho Novo netted the only goal of the game at Love Street to secure a 1-0 victory which allowed Gers to move eight points clear of nearest rivals Aberdeen.

The result was bad news for Saints, though, who are just four points ahead of SPL basement boys Dunfermline with five games to go.

Rangers manager Walter Smith made two changes following their lacklustre display against Inverness Caledonian Thistle last week, when they were held to a 1-1 draw by the Highlanders.

Chris Burke and Ugo Ehiogu were drafted into the starting line-up, with Dado Prso named on the bench following a couple of hard shifts, while Ian Murray was missing from the 18-man squad.

Saints boss Gus MacPherson made just one change from the side who earned a last-gasp draw with Hibernian in midweek; goal hero John Sutton replaced the injured Craig Molloy.

MacPherson also stuck to his guns by naming Kirk Broadfoot in the first XI, even though the Saints skipper has pledged his future to Rangers by signing a pre-contract agreement.

Four minutes into the game, the Buddies boss may have been wishing he had followed the example of Motherwell manager Maurice Malpas, who dropped Parkhead-bound Scott McDonald for their game against Celtic yesterday.

A Charlie Adam ball into the box to Kris Boyd in front of goal should have been easily dealt with by Chris Smith.

Instead, the Saints goalkeeper was bundled to the ground by Broadfoot's own clumsy attempts to clear the danger, allowing Novo to pounce on the ball and bullet home from 10 yards.

At the other end, the Paisley club could have been back on level terms within minutes but for the quick reflexes of Rangers goalkeeper Allan McGregor.

Richard Brittain's free-kick picked out Ian Maxwell and his low header looked goalbound only for McGregor to paw the ball to safety at the last second.

It was to be Maxwell's last involvement in the match and he limped out of the action clutching his hamstring after just 17 minutes, his place taken by Eddie Malone.

Broadfoot was doing little to endear himself to either set of supporters and another blunder almost gifted Rangers their second of the day.

This time his poor attempt at a passback was seized upon by Boyd, who intercepted only to squander the chance by firing well over the crossbar.

Broadfoot - and Saints - breathed a collective sigh of relief.

Instead of crumbling, it was the Paisley club who finished the first half in the ascendancy and they could have snatched the leveller on the whistle.

A full-stretch McGregor just managed to keep an Alan Reid free-kick out of the net, before being called into action to block Hugh Murray's rebound at the near post.

Saints started the second half strongly and Stewart Kean was not too far away when he threw himself in front of a Reid cross only for his overhead kick to fall just wide of the target.

The striker then had another crack at goal when Broadfoot teed up the shot 20 yards out but, once again, his effort whistled past the post.

Kean may have failed to add his name to the scoresheet but Broadfoot had clearly redeemed himself in the eyes of the Saints supporters, who chanted 'You're too good for Rangers.'

The home fans were briefly silenced when Boyd rattled home a close-range volley - but the Gers hitman was well offside and the flag was already raised.

With just over an hour gone, Saints swapped Brittain for Mark Corcoran, while Burke was withdrawn for Prso in the hope he could spur a lethargic Gers side into life again.

Corcoran was not long on the park when he picked up the first booking of the game for an outrageous dive in the box with no blue shirts anywhere near him.

Undeterred, Saints battled on in search of the equaliser that could make all the difference to their SPL survival this season but dogged defending denied them the goal they probably deserved.

In the end, they failed where Inverness succeeded last week and Rangers held on for a narrow and unconvincing wi

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
great result rangers2-celtic0 it was all rangers, bring on next season :D:o:D

Excellent result. The league may be over but its always nice to stuff the tic. Bring on next season. :D Been trying to get a podcast link thingy on the net to watch it. Unfortunately its not working. No worries.

Edited by Jockstar

great result rangers2-celtic0 it was all rangers, bring on next season :D:o:D

Excellent result. The league may be over but its always nice to stuff the tic. Bring on next season. :D Been trying to get a podcast link thingy on the net to watch it. Unfortunately its not working. No worries.

no scottish footie on the telly in oz then ...... :D , and we still won the league :bah:

Rangers sign Darcheville on two-year deal

Rangers have struck a deal to bring former Nottingham Forest striker Jean-Claude Darcheville to Ibrox for next season.

The Frenchman will join on a two-year contract when his current deal at Bordeaux expires in the summer.

Darcheville, 31, has been a regular scorer in French football for Lorient and Bordeaux, but experienced a difficult 1998-99 season when he tried his luck in England at the City Ground.

He was a target of former Rangers boss Alex McLeish but the club's interest appeared to have cooled in the past year.

Known for his pace, and nicknamed `The Rocket', Darcheville turned down a new contract with Bordeaux and an approach from Monaco to secure his move to Rangers.

Bordeaux are currently third in the French Ligue 1, level on points with second-placed Lens.

Darcheville becomes Rangers' third signing for next season, after deals were struck for Falkirk forward Alan Gow and St Mirren defender Kirk Broadfoot.

He may not be the last forward to arrive as manager Walter Smith rebuilds his squad, in anticipation of rivalling Celtic for next season's domestic honours and making Champions League headway.

Rangers had been expected to target a striker with an aerial threat to compensate for Dado Prso's departure, and at 5ft 8in Darcheville does not fit that bill.

The French Guyana-born player failed to settle in England after the death of his wife and children in a car accident before his move.

However he has hit prime form in the eight years since returning to France and is Bordeaux's top scorer with seven goals in 17 starts this season.

Smith said: 'We are delighted to have signed Jean-Claude.'

Smith told www.rangers.co.uk: 'With Dado Prso leaving we said that we were looking to bring in some player to strengthen the front area.

'And we feel we have been quick to do so by agreeing the deal to bring Jean-Claude here.

'There were a number of other clubs interested in him and Bordeaux wanted him to sign a new deal so we are pleased that we will have his talents for the next two seasons.'

• 2 weeks later...

sawadee cap jockstar , here's some good news :D:o:D .

Dunfermline 0-1 Celtic 999999.gif

_42975057_nakamuraaction203b.jpg Celtic's Shunsuke Nakamura takes on Scott MorrisonJean-Joel Perrier Doumbe grabbed an 84th minute winner to clinch a 34th Scottish Cup for Celtic against luckless Dunfermline at Hampden.

The Cameroonian knocked home from close range from Craig Beattie's pass to finally end the Pars resistance, as the SPL champions toiled for long periods.

Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink and Kenny Miller both went close for Celtic in a mainly stuffy game.

Dunfermline worked hard but failed to test Hoops goalkeeper Arthur Boruc.

Neil Lennon was captaining Celtic for the last time before leaving the club after almost seven years service.

And team-mate Steven Pressley was looking to create a record by winning the cup with three different clubs after having picked up medals with Rangers and Hearts.

Hoops boss Gordon Strachan sprung a selection surprise when Jean-Joel Perrier Doumbe was preferred to Gary Caldwell at right-back, while Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink was partnered in attack by Kenny Miller.

Dunfermline - who lost their battle to remain in the SPL - came to Glasgow minus four regulars - Tom McManus and Stephen Glass were both cup-tied, Gary Mason was suspended and midfielder Jim O'Brien, on loan from Celtic, was barred from playing.

Former Celt Mark Burchill was chosen by Pars manager Stephen Kenny to feature alongside Jim McIntyre - who scored the semi-final winner against Hibernian - in attack.

The Fifers belied their relegated status, and started positively, and, in the third minute Burchill screwed a left-footed shot from 12 yards across goal and wide following a link-up with McIntyre.

The busy Burchill had a penalty claim minutes later, going down following a challenge from Paul Hartley, but referee Kenny Clark ignored his plea.

There was an early nervousness from Celtic, although they did have the ball in the net after 21 minutes from midfielder Shunsuke Nakamura had the ball in the net but Hartley had fouled Pars keeper Dorus de Vries.

The Glasgow side should have taken the lead on the half-hour following an intelligent build up.

Miller turned delightfully on the right and his precise cross was met by Vennegoor of Hesselink just 12 yards out, but the former PSV Eindhoven man somehow sent his diving header past the post.

it was the closest either team came to breaking the deadlock in the first-half, and Celtic were having problems finding a way past a well-organised Pars defence.

Dunfermline's Scott Morrison did try his luck from distance as half-time approached, but his left-foot shot skidded a yard wide of Artur Borucs' goal.

Certainly, the Pars went into the break fully realising they had a chance to win against the subdued Celts.

Celtic began the second half in positive fashion and, in the 51st minute when Aiden McGeady supplied a cross from the left for the incoming Miller, a goal looked certain.

However, the Scotland strikers' header from six yards was too close to de Vries and Dunfermline survived.

Miller paid the price when he was replaced four minutes later by Craig Beattie, as Strachan opted to freshen up the attack.

After 61 minutes, Celtic full-back Lee Naylor brought the best from de Vries, firing in a right-foot shot which the Dutchman did well to gather.

Lennon was surprisingly replaced by Caldwell, and the Hoops captain appeared dejected by Strachan's decision, as the game remained fully open.

Kenny sent on Stevie Crawford for Morrison, hoping the veteran forward could lift his side, with chances scarce at either end.

Substitute Beattie almost put Celtic ahead in the 79th minute, but he was unlucky to stroke an angled effort inches wide, after charging beyond the Pars rearguard from Nakamura's raking pass down the left.

The East End Park outfit defended well, but found themselves tiring towards the end.

And they failed to prevent Doumbe from emerging as an unlikely cup winning hero, when he picked up a return pass from Beattie in the danger zone to stab the ball past de Vries with just six minutes remaining.

It was enough to seal Dunfermline's fate, as Celtic repeated their 2004 cup victory at the national stadium, successfully adding the cup to their SPL league title.

o.gifo.gif

I have just joined the forum and immediately found this Rangers thread! Wonderful stuff Jockstar!

I'm moving to BK in about 4 weeks and wondered if there is there a supporters club in Bangkok?

Or...is there anywhere to watch the SPL live?

When I was over for my first visit a couple of weeks ago I noticed a Scottish bar in Sukhumvit as I passed by in a taxi- I think it was on the same street as the Emporium Shopping center, does anyone know it? Do they show games?

Looking forward to next season, hopefully Smith and Cosity can turn our fortunes around, but we do need to bring some better talent in before August.

I have just joined the forum and immediately found this Rangers thread! Wonderful stuff Jockstar!

I'm moving to BK in about 4 weeks and wondered if there is there a supporters club in Bangkok?

When I was over for my first visit a couple of weeks ago I noticed a Scottish bar in Sukhumvit as I passed by in a taxi- I think it was on the same street as the Emporium Shopping center, does anyone know it? Do they show games?

Looking forward to next season, hopefully Smith and Cosity can turn our fortunes around, but we do need to bring some better talent in before August.

My mate owns a pub on Suk soi 7 called the Winking Frog. He has 2 UBC's so can show 2 games at a time. Used to put the Rangers games on for us if we asked.

Not sure if there is any supporters clubs. Bring on next season.

Glasgow.jpg

CARSON, Calif. -- Kris Boyd scored in the 56th minute to give Rangers FC of Glasgow a 1-0 victory over the Los Angeles Galaxy in an exhibition game Wednesday night.

Chris Burke began the scoring play by passing from the right edge of the penalty area to Alan Hutton, who found Boyd from the right flank.

Boyd, who led the Scottish Premier League with 20 goals, beat his defender and scored from 13 yards.

"They held the ball in spots and got us running a little bit," said Galaxy defender Tyrone Marshall. "When we get back to (Major League Soccer), we can use that to our advantage in terms of how we play."

The Galaxy had its best chance to score in the 17th minute. Santino Quaranta intercepted Hutton's back pass and started off on a breakaway, but goalkeeper Allan McGregor made a sliding tackle to deflect the ball.

McGregor, who led the Scottish league with 16 shutouts, also dived to parry Nathan Sturgis' 14-yard shot with both hands in the 68th minute.

"Even though they were a goal down, their heads did not go down at any stage," said Rangers assistant coach Ally McCoist, the club's all-time leading scorer. "You can see that the Galaxy's a good team, and they'll get stronger as the season goes on."

Alan Gow made his Rangers debut after being acquired from league rival Falkirk. Gow replaced Nacho Novo in the 46th minute.

The game was the first of a heavy exhibition schedule against international opponents for the Galaxy, who later this season will be joined by English star David Beckham.

mg777

try the mcandrews bar, sukhumvit soi 20.

enter soi 20, and take the first sub soi on the right hand side, walk about 20 yards and you will see the bar on the corner.

always has the games on, and you will not be out of place, amongst fellow travellers.