Good Restaurants in Chiang Mai

stament

Just to bring to the attention of all foodies in CM: newly announced International Buffet Lunch, all you can eat, at Mercure Hotel. Only baht 250. Hotel located along Chang Puek Rd, aka Chotana Highway. Have seen the news signs, not eaten there.

However, i suspect that the Caberet Theater, down the street 200 meters, and the large new construction next to the Caberet and the new hotel lunch buffet all have one thing in common: chinese tourists. Maybe we will be getting some Sichuan dishes soon.

Did the Mercure takeover the Novotel? This hotel is just up from Topps if my memory serves me.coffee1.gif

Yes it did. Many, many years ago. Both are owned by Accor. I think Mercure is somewhat downmarket as compared to Novotel.

Correct, as properties age they may be downgraded in Accor's hierarchy. CM Mercure rooms are good though I have sparse knowledge of the restaurant ... if a new buffet is promoted it should be worth a try.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea where i can get a salad for 50-60 baht? No cheese or ham. Veg salad.

TOPS supermarket in Kad Suan Kaew. Pre-packaged salads 35-55 thb or you can create your own (pay by weight) from their salad bar containing a nice variety of vegetables.

(Edit: Yes, I know it's a thread about restaurants. I don't know of any restaurants, however, where you can get a salad for 50 thb.)

Saladbar in Tops KSK way overpriced!

Walk out of Tops go straight past the green pharmacy and you will see a lady with a salad and fruit cart, 9 baht per 100 grams, choose your own, about 5/6 times cheaper and only 20 metres away!

The Blue Diamond breakfast club...it is such a great garden breakfast spot...I always go with their potatoes and omelet...eating amongst the water trickling and ponds and fish....over on 35/1 moonmuang soi 9....amazing pumpkin soup and fresh baked breads....

What like are the prices at the Blue diamond?

• 5 weeks later...

Any new recommendations this month?

Not sure this has been mentioned yet, but a fairly new place I was really impressed with is 'September Brasserie' in the Chill Park area at the Mae Hia / Big C Hang Dong underpass intersection.

I'm not that easily impressed but this was really great, and considerably cheaper than Western options downtown (considering the amount of food, taste, detail etc.)

It's been open under this management for not too long I think; only pages I could find are these:

https://www.facebook.com/September-Brasserie-878491808882738

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g790336-d8549724-Reviews-September_Brasserie-Hang_Dong.html

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/social-pics/september-brasserie-and-geowash/

( The one issue with them is that they close on Sundays.. Which is one of only two days a week that I'm likely to visit a restaurant. )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

On of the best Thai restaurants is right in front of the train station entrance, the open place on the corner. Not like the fly-infested sidewalk garbage with lame fried rice but authentic Thai recipes, clean and fresh and all 35-45bt.JPro6CE.png

And this place on Suthep road has surprisingly yummy food as well, they don't use MSG. Delicious macaroni and also their tom yam kai is a killer. 2YlOp2x.jpg

Edited by flyDelight

On of the best Thai restaurants is right in front of the train station entrance, the open place on the corner. Not like the fly-infested sidewalk garbage with lame fried rice but authentic Thai recipes, clean and fresh and all 35-45bt.JPro6CE.png

And this place on Suthep road has surprisingly yummy food as well, they don't use MSG. Delicious macaroni and also their tom yam kai is a killer. 2YlOp2x.jpg

Can you give a landmark on Suthep road as I dont know it that well please

Just search on Google maps for Faculty of Dentistry, Suthep Road, Chiang Mai. Suthep Road starts halfway the western moat.

The restaurant is right across and the inside walls are painted green, kitchen at the entrance left side.

Can you give a landmark on Suthep road as I dont know it that well please
Edited by flyDelight

Any new recommendations this month?

Not sure this has been mentioned yet, but a fairly new place I was really impressed with is 'September Brasserie' in the Chill Park area at the Mae Hia / Big C Hang Dong underpass intersection.

I'm not that easily impressed but this was really great, and considerably cheaper than Western options downtown (considering the amount of food, taste, detail etc.)

It's been open under this management for not too long I think; only pages I could find are these:

https://www.facebook.com/September-Brasserie-878491808882738

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g790336-d8549724-Reviews-September_Brasserie-Hang_Dong.html

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/social-pics/september-brasserie-and-geowash/

( The one issue with them is that they close on Sundays.. Which is one of only two days a week that I'm likely to visit a restaurant. )

I had two recommendations from friends in Chiang Mai for September at Chill Park, Winnie. In the end we stuck with the tried and tested (Billy's, Archers, UNIrish and Yummy Pizza) whilst we were up last week, but I've got 'September' pencilled in for Christmas time when we'll be up again! Any other Farang recommendations? (my wife can sniff out the new Thai places)

Can anyone recommend any in or near Nong Hoi?

Thanks

The somewhat strangely named Soi 1 bar is there, within easy walking distance of Riverside and Holliday Inn, on the small soi that enters Chang Klan road after the bridge

between Holliday Inn and the hospital:

https://www.facebook.com/Soi-1-Bar-608189029217288/timeline/

Never understood the "bar" part of the name, as it feels much more like a restaurant than a bar. Food has been good every time I've been there.

This is a little puzzling because the place in the Facebook link shows a totally different location, on Loy Kroh near the Iron Bridge. But then the address lists Charoen Prathet Road, which would be the one withe the big Muslim mosque, near Thapae Road. And your directions give it as near the Holiday Inn, the 'small soi that enters Chang Klan'.. on which side? Between the Holiday Inn and the hospital? (That's where the bridge is.)

Recently discovered Enoteca out in Mae Chock.

Superb qualtiy of ingredients.. Very passable and cost effective house wines and 100's of bottles to choose from.. The antipasti cold cuts and cheeses best I have had in CNX..

Also, good host, knew when to offer advice.. knew when to check in you were ok.. Knew (just as important) when to disappear and let you enjoy your meal in peace..

Didnt try it but he was selling me on his US imported non frozen beef steaks.. Comes in chilled by plane every couple of days..

All around a great experience and one I will go back for.

https://www.facebook.com/GreatFineWine

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Enoteca-Italian-Restaurant/

Can anyone recommend any in or near Nong Hoi?

Thanks

The somewhat strangely named Soi 1 bar is there, within easy walking distance of Riverside and Holliday Inn, on the small soi that enters Chang Klan road after the bridge

between Holliday Inn and the hospital:

https://www.facebook.com/Soi-1-Bar-608189029217288/timeline/

Never understood the "bar" part of the name, as it feels much more like a restaurant than a bar. Food has been good every time I've been there.

This is a little puzzling because the place in the Facebook link shows a totally different location, on Loy Kroh near the Iron Bridge. But then the address lists Charoen Prathet Road, which would be the one withe the big Muslim mosque, near Thapae Road. And your directions give it as near the Holiday Inn, the 'small soi that enters Chang Klan'.. on which side? Between the Holiday Inn and the hospital? (That's where the bridge is.)

If you go across the bridge, with Holiday Inn on your left hand side, and R. hospital on your right, instead of taking left or right at the bigger road after crossing the bridge, you can go semi-straight into a small soi. 200-300m down that soi is Soi 1 bar. Eventually that soi comes out on Chang Klan road.

I took a look at the map on fb now, and have no idea what's up with that.

Thanks, found it!

It's at the location of the old gay massage / brothel place down that soi, which apparently is no more. One-2-Come it was called. smile.png

So this should be an improvement then.

Guess it depends on one's tastes and desires ;-)

The Family took me out last March to Sukonthan Buffet 46/1, Huay Kaew Road, Tambon Chang Phuak last March, Steamboat /BBQ "all you can eat (big prawns included) " was about 180 Baht per head, drinks extra.

Certainly not fine dining - silver service, variety was good and I thoroughly enjoyed it, wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

Believe they are trying to capture the Chinese coaches.

Pictures found on line are contained in the following link http://rt009211.pixnet.net/blog/post/61450861-%E3%80%90%E6%B3%B0%E5%9C%8B%E6%B8%85%E9%82%81%E3%80%91sukonthan-buffet%E5%8D%83%E4%BA%BA%E7%81%AB%E9%8D%8B-%E6%B3%B0%E5%BC%8F%E7%81%AB%E9%8D%8B2

yeah been to that buffet not bad. the family? sounds very mobsterish lol

Sister-in-law mentioned to my better half that there is another Moo Kata near the Ping River, no details as yet, but will presumably attend in January when we visit, will report accordingly.

The "Family" are far removed from being shady Thai Mafia, notable professionals mainly in the health and educational sectors, so there are no water buffalo vet bills, sibling motorbike payments or the like that we have to stump up for, almost everyday feels like being a lottery winner clap2.gif

Edited by Paul Catton

Sister-in-law mentioned to my better half that there is another Moo Kata near the Ping River, no details as yet, but will presumably attend in January when we visit, will report accordingly.

The "Family" are far removed from being shady Thai Mafia, notable professionals mainly in the health and educational sectors, so there are no water buffalo vet bills, sibling motorbike payments or the like that we have to stump up for, almost everyday feels like being a lottery winner clap2.gif

Wasnt implying they were dodgy, more made me chuckle as you said the family instead of my family whoch gave it a totally different meaning to me!

There is a bbq near wattana school we go to which is quite good, kids half price and small kids free. Not as comprehensive as the one you mentioned but cheaper thb139 from memory or 159

Wasnt implying they were dodgy, more made me chuckle as you said the family instead of my family whoch gave it a totally different meaning to me!

There is a bbq near wattana school we go to which is quite good, kids half price and small kids free. Not as comprehensive as the one you mentioned but cheaper thb139 from memory or 159

Makes me chuckle too when I say it (with a feeling of pride).

There's another good place on the Canal Road, close by to the junction of Somphot Chiang Mai 700 Pi Road that the Father-in-law (He who gets a high wai) has taken us to a couple of times, once for dinner, the other for lunch, Google Map shows it be named อิ่มปลาเผา my online translator says this "(to be) full up burnt fish".

The first time was about 5 years ago, then March this year on our last visit, both times the food has been excellent.

Cannot give you an indication on price, or even if they have a menu in English either (I'm usually just the centerpiece for the table and bask in the coddling and attention).

The place is fairly large, huge car park, has a large pond out front, and the options of open under shade and closed indoor A/c dining.

Makes me chuckle too when I say it (with a feeling of pride).

There's another good place on the Canal Road, close by to the junction of Somphot Chiang Mai 700 Pi Road that the Father-in-law (He who gets a high wai) has taken us to a couple of times, once for dinner, the other for lunch, Google Map shows it be named อิ่มปลาเผา my online translator says this "(to be) full up burnt fish".

The first time was about 5 years ago, then March this year on our last visit, both times the food has been excellent.

Cannot give you an indication on price, or even if they have a menu in English either (I'm usually just the centerpiece for the table and bask in the coddling and attention).

The place is fairly large, huge car park, has a large pond out front, and the options of open under shade and closed indoor A/c dining.

Attached roadside view

post-248384-0-08723200-1447200969_thumb.

one to add to my list, how do u get there from central airport can i ask? sorry for asking a dumb question but i am hopeless with directions and areas ii don't know. also hopeless at remembering names of places, guess I should have been born a woman! And I say that in jest ladies, ;-)

one to add to my list, how do u get there from central airport can i ask? sorry for asking a dumb question but i am hopeless with directions and areas ii don't know. also hopeless at remembering names of places, guess I should have been born a woman! And I say that in jest ladies, ;-)

Head South on 108, Turn Right onto 3029, go to end of 3029, Turn Left at T-Junction of 3029 / Canal Road, Hang the first U-turn and the eatery is on the left just before you reach the T-Junction again

Me and the misses just went to BIrd of Paradise for the first time, and WOW. I mean, I heard it was good food, but really, this was impressive. Five large dishes that were delicious for 660B. That includes a fish and a mango shake as well. Check it out…..

Fish and mango shake? Now that sounds interesting.