Good Restaurants in Chiang Mai

stament

electrified, that is not the same place. The photo clearly does not come from Maya and the article is dated March (no year given.)

As I understand it, same owner. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

It is the same owner, but you seem to have found a bad review amongst the plenty of good ones online. The only one I've seen of the new restaurant is on Tripadvisor, which is a positive review.

Actually I didn't search for a bad one to be perfectly honest. I opened the first link that appeared in google Chrome (which is different than the first on Firefox). Honestly I've never been. I did go to the original location with a friend one evening and upon entering there were absolutely no customers at all, so we left and went elsewhere.

Is it good?

I have no idea! I'm going this weekend though, will let you know.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

electrified, that is not the same place. The photo clearly does not come from Maya and the article is dated March (no year given.)

As I understand it, same owner. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

It is the same owner, but you seem to have found a bad review amongst the plenty of good ones online. The only one I've seen of the new restaurant is on Tripadvisor, which is a positive review.

Actually I didn't search for a bad one to be perfectly honest. I opened the first link that appeared in google Chrome (which is different than the first on Firefox). Honestly I've never been. I did go to the original location with a friend one evening and upon entering there were absolutely no customers at all, so we left and went elsewhere.

Is it good?

google ranks search results based on customization of previous internet history

So google knows you are an ornery old git and ranked your search results accordingly

Must be effective because you immediately re-posted your search results to validate your git-ness

Good to see more Thai restaurants mentioned these days! Nice to eat all sorts of things from many cuisine, but not to remember that you are in Thailand and simply want to import your taste and place here is perplexing! smile.png

Okay, give us your list of Thai restaurants and the best things to order at each. If you an make a real contribution for a change.

Come on Mapguy, my guests arrive tomorrow. At least tell us your top five restaurants and the best things to order at each.

biggrin.png

Chacun á son goût! There are more than 1,000 restaurants listed on TripAdvisor for Chiang Mai rated by many, many more people than who post here. I don't want to get into a food fight, but to keep itreally, really simple if it is possible to mention David Duke without stirring one up, his Rivermarket has a limited reasonable tourist-oriented Thai menu.

I don't know where your friends are from, Bill97, but if they are not used to much "hot" food, be sure to advise the restaurant to tone it down. They might be able to do it! It is not possible with all dishes. And you might ask, in some cases, about MSG, if any of your friends are sensitive to that.

La'Na food? Well, if your friends are new to Thailand, try one of the touristy places with a show. Don't laugh! Most newcomers have a good time at a "traditional" khon toke.

Otherwise, everyone has his or her favorite noodle shop or street vendor if they want to go "native." Where's the best khao soi, for example? I hate to hazard a guess (It is like asking whose grandmother (and everyone has his or her own favorite, which is part loving memory and part good taste) has the "best," and it might well be unfindable unless you've been there before. Or is it still in business. Maybe grandma has moved to Chiang Rai, or died.

The point I tried originally to make is to get out there and taste away of what is provided locally, not to be bound by or insist upon what was familiar where you came from and importing your tastes here. If the lack of familiar food is a persistent complaint, then you are not here, you are still there.

If a lack of continental variety, then here becomes there, if you catch my meaning --- so why are you here? Another form of cultural imperialism, culinary style ?! Maybe some people should consider packing a very big lunch and lot of munchies before moving! biggrin.png

Now, does anyone wish to start a Rimping vs local market thread?

Edited by Mapguy

I don't trust Tripadvisor. For ages their #1 restaurant in Chiang Mai was a vegetarian place located blocks from where I live. The only things special about the place were the tiny portions and the not so tiny prices.

For all I know it still is their #1 rated place.

Mapguy, I would really love to know where you have lived throughout your life and what kind of food you ate while living there. And have you always been renting or is this a recent decision?

biggrin.png

Chacun á son goût! There are more than 1,000 restaurants listed on TripAdvisor for Chiang Mai rated by many, many more people than who post here. I don't want to get into a food fight, but to keep itreally, really simple if it is possible to mention David Duke without stirring one up, his Rivermarket has a limited reasonable tourist-oriented Thai menu.

I don't know where your friends are from, Bill97, but if they are not used to much "hot" food, be sure to advise the restaurant to tone it down. They might be able to do it! It is not possible with all dishes. And you might ask, in some cases, about MSG, if any of your friends are sensitive to that.

La'Na food? Well, if your friends are new to Thailand, try one of the touristy places with a show. Don't laugh! Most newcomers have a good time at a "traditional" khon toke.

Otherwise, everyone has his or her favorite noodle shop or street vendor if they want to go "native." Where's the best khao soi, for example? I hate to hazard a guess (It is like asking whose grandmother (and everyone has his or her own favorite, which is part loving memory and part good taste) has the "best," and it might well be unfindable unless you've been there before. Or is it still in business. Maybe grandma has moved to Chiang Rai, or died.

The point I tried originally to make is to get out there and taste away of what is provided locally, not to be bound by or insist upon what was familiar where you came from and importing your tastes here. If the lack of familiar food is a persistent complaint, then you are not here, you are still there.

If a lack of continental variety, then here becomes there, if you catch my meaning --- so why are you here? Another form of cultural imperialism, culinary style ?! Maybe some people should consider packing a very big lunch and lot of munchies before moving! biggrin.png

It's not that difficult a topic, a simple 'reccomend a good restaurant' is all that is required. Why it bothers anyone what preferences anyone has for food is beyond me, and why anyone should expect those prefences to change just because they now live or visited a different country is equally mystifying. People visit or live in Thailand for many different reasons and what they eat is possibly the least important of them. I lived in Saudi and didn't like too much of their food so ate mostly Indian or Thai food when I went out, what's wrong with that and more importantly, why should anyone else care what I like or dislike?

My one reccomendation for Thai food would be the Kao Soi at the big popular place in Faham, a must do for any visitors here, assuming they like Thai food, of course.

I've never given any thought to Saudi cuisine. I have to admit, it doesn't look that good:

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=saudi+arabian+cuisine&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=haeAVJTYHZSSuASE7YH4Ag&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1240&bih=580

Worst meal I ever had by far was in Shanghia, China. Ordered for us by our colleagues. Chicken feet and I don't remember what inedible else.

@Bill97: maybe try the restaurant Galae if you have visitors coming this weekend. I sometimes take visitors there and they all loved it. Beautiful location on a lake, beautiful flowers and the food is good as well. Good Northern food. Not cheap but ok. 2 people about 600 baht/3 people about 1000 baht.

@JulieM: re Chicken feet: Thais love chicken feet too, not my taste but could be worse to be honest. A great Thai speciality is Gung dance. If you haven't tried it go for it.

biggrin.png

David Duke Rivermarket has a limited reasonable tourist-oriented Thai menu.

having grazed their on a regurlar basis since its opening april 2012

the r/market has slowly fallen away in many areas

very disappionting as its ambience,location, and car park, are top draw

a lovely morning to allsmile.png

It's only your cultural habits which you, or anyone, from eating chicken feet, pig intestines, cow brains, or sheep testicles. All these foods are enjoyed by many folks the world over. Yeah, can be tough to overcome habit and custom, but give it a try, Julie

biggrin.png

Mapguy that is truly lame. Based on your lengthy and in depth experience your top recommendations are Trip Advisor and limited menu, no specific items mentioned River Market. What a life! So many words to say so little.

I'm pretty sure that Gecko Gardens is. It is not great food, but very good for the price.

I think that all 3 of the "Mexican" places near Thapae Gate are open until at least 11 PM. I like Miguel's best, but the others are not bad if you don't insist on authentic Mexican-American cuisine.

It's only your cultural habits which you, or anyone, from eating chicken feet, pig intestines, cow brains, or sheep testicles. All these foods are enjoyed by many folks the world over. Yeah, can be tough to overcome habit and custom, but give it a try, Julie

Jobin, on't get me wrong, I love brains and testicles...not sure about the intestines part. There's a fairly new Taiwanese place across from the entrance to CMU on Huay Geow offering two chickens feet for 20 baht. Please give it a try if you have time and report back.

. I lived in Saudi and didn't like too much of their food so ate mostly Indian or Thai food when I went out, what's wrong with that and more importantly, why should anyone else care what I like or dislike?

Really? Last week, I was just thinking about a lentil dip (not fooul, which I also like) and the bread people brought into work. I had what I thought was very good food there - shwarma, korma chicken, various biriyani rice dishes, rice and lentil dishes, kabsa, mandi chicken, baklava, falafel (homemade), hummus, tabouli, moutaba, pita bread, pebble bread, fattosh, zaatar, shish tarouk, grape leaves, stuffed vegetables and those pastries with a bread like base. Anyway, to each his own especially when it comes to food... I was fortunate. It was over 10 years ago though...

The only Indian restaurant I eat at these days is Taj Mahal. It is clean and comfortable and if there are better Indian places in Chiang Mai, I've never found them.

Toss up between there and Le Spice.. Taj Mahal could do with a bit of a scrub down..

Is Le Spice the one in the Night Bazaar? It is very comfortable, but I just don't like their base curry that is in many of the dishes. That might be a personal preference thing though.

I work for a U.S. company that has offices in Bangalore which I visit several times a year. Based on eating Indian food there I have to agree that some ingredient is out of proportion in the Le Spice curries. Having better Indian restaurants here seems like a good opportunity so I can only hope things will eventually improve in this area. Funny thing though, my colleagues in India like to try and impress me by taking me out to Thai restaurants there but the ones where we've been leave quite a bit to be desired.

Grin

Chicken feet suck. I don't care what Chinese people think. bah.gif

I don't care for Asian style chicken feet myself but when I was living at home, every Friday, my dear mother made delicious Jewish chicken soup which included chicken feet. In those days, nothing got thrown out. I enjoyed eating all the less popular parts of the chicken, like feet, liver, gizzard, neck, heart.

My wife is fond of them and I do care what she thinks. Like anything, I respect other people's beliefs and preferences even if they're not my cup of tea. After all it would be a very boring place if we were all the same.

Therefore, I think let them eat and think what they want. Others probably think what I like "sucks" but the important thing is to respect everyone's different choices.

My wife is fond of them and I do care what she thinks. Like anything, I respect other people's beliefs and preferences even if they're not my cup of tea. After all it would be a very boring place if we were all the same.

Therefore, I think let them eat and think what they want. Others probably think what I like "sucks" but the important thing is to respect everyone's different choices.

He didn't say your wife couldn't eat them. He said they sucked.

I disagree that it would be boring if we were all the same. If everyone were like Magpie (is that his board name?) than yes, it would be boring.

Jobin, on't get me wrong, I love brains and testicles...not sure about the intestines part. There's a fairly new Taiwanese place across from the entrance to CMU on Huay Geow offering two chickens feet for 20 baht. Please give it a try if you have time and report back.

Sounds pricey normally 2 or 3 for ten baht!

He didn't say your wife couldn't eat them. He said they sucked.

I disagree that it would be boring if we were all the same. If everyone were like Magpie (is that his board name?) than yes, it would be boring.

I didn't say he did say my wife couldn't eat them. I know he said they sucked, just stating that one person's cup of tea isn't necessarily another persons. I myself don't like them either.

If we were all the same we'd all either like chickens feet nor not like them. In the former instance would there be enough chickens feet in the world to satisfy us?

Would we all be Manchester United supporters? Perish the thought!

I myself don't like them either.

Then admit it, they SUCK. I can find nothing remotely pleasurable about eating them on their own - unless you are starving to death. They would be fine in "delicious Jewish chicken soup", because you leave them in the bowl and eat everything else - the stuff that actually tastes good. tongue.png

I myself don't like them either.

Then admit it, they SUCK. I can find nothing remotely pleasurable about eating them on their own - unless you are starving to death. They would be fine in "delicious Jewish chicken soup", because you leave them in the bowl and eat everything else - the stuff that actually tastes good. tongue.png

Chicken feet are basically, skin, fat, cartilage, and bone. Skin and fat are actually the most flavorful part of the chicken. Cartilage has a great chewy texture.

Maybe I got ahold of some bad ones, way back when. All I remember is cartilage and bone and that put me off ever trying them again. Skin and fat would definitely make soup better though, so that explains that.

Edited by Ulysses G.