Transgender Woman Presented As Man At Her Funeral

Scott

Jennifer Gable, Transgender Woman, Presented As Man At Her Funeral

In a depressing reminder of the times in which we live and how far we still have to go to reach equality for everyone in the LGBT community, a Twin Falls, Idaho, transgender woman was presented as male in an open-casket funeral service this week.

Jennifer Gable, 32, reportedly died suddenly of a brain aneurysm while working at Wells Fargo Bank on Oct. 9. At her funeral, Gable, who legally changed her name in 2007, was reportedly not referred to as Jennifer once.

Additionally, the late Gable's family cut her hair short and presented her wearing a suit and her obituary reportedly skipped the decade of her life she spent transitioning to live authentically as Jennifer.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/24/jennifer-gable-transgender_n_6212900.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

• Like 1

This is why we all need last wills and testaments with reliable executors. Horrendous, but they had the "legal right." Ethically, of course, it was totally beyond the pale. I'm the same age as Jennifer, and I've written a will and my executor is a close friend. I am pretty sure my family would never try to deny my queerness, but I have seen families pretend with straight faces that their loved ones were straight despite half the guests knowing full well otherwise.

Funerals are for the dead if they make such decisions before they die. Some last wills and testaments are very, VERY specific, and have detailed plans for how the executor is to run the funeral arrangements. It is the legal right of the deceased to choose an executor who will follow their wishes.

In many cases, it probably SHOULDN'T be your family, but someone who is less sentimental whose only goal is to see it that your wishes are carried out to the letter (within, reason, of course).

Funerals are for the dead if they make such decisions before they die. Some last wills and testaments are very, VERY specific, and have detailed plans for how the executor is to run the funeral arrangements. It is the legal right of the deceased to choose an executor who will follow their wishes.

In many cases, it probably SHOULDN'T be your family, but someone who is less sentimental whose only goal is to see it that your wishes are carried out to the letter (within, reason, of course).

I agree, Caitrin, IF she made the necessary arrangements before she died.

But Jennifer died suddenly, and still young, and probably hadn't made any such arrangements.

Sad for her, her memory and for friends who went to lay Jennifer to rest, but found a different person instead.

It's something akin to desecrating the body.

What a disrespectful way to treat someone that 'they' supposedly loved. Her family should hang their heads in shame.

Thanks for sharing Scott, confirms my thoughts about brain dead individuals that walk virtually every inch of this planet.

• Like 1