Credit card restrictions in Thailand

Can someone who has the knowledge of how these things work please explain to me why a merchant here, (True) is able to refuse payment of their bills by someone using a VISA or Mastercard which is issued by a non Thai bank?

Previously I was able to pay my monthly Direct Debit on my Hong Kong bank issued VISA and Mastercard, (for the last 10 years). But now that system has been blocked. I tried paying through the online site trueid, but although Kasikorn bank (True's bank for these online payments), asks which country, and which bank in that country, and the system gets to the last stage, where it verifies "verified by VISA" etc, the payment actually fails. The bank in Hong Kong has confirmed that they verify the payment, and it shows Kasikorn verifying the payment, (during the processing), but True does not allow it.

To be clear, and more confusingly, if I go into a True shop and pay with my international credit card, the payment goes through normally. It's only when I try to do it online, or by direct debit. All I am trying to do is establish an easier way to pay my monthly bills, (rather than "oh you can just go into any 711 and pay it there"; I want it set up automatically or available through online payment - they are after all an internet company, so that when I am away, the payment is processed. I keep telling True I want to give them my money...)

It seems to me to be a very odd practice that VISA and Mastercard allow a merchant to only accept their Thai issued credit cards. I have tried calling VISA on this matter, but they don't appear to have a customer service department.

Do any TVF members work for VISA or Mastercard, and can they reply?

Many thanks.

Edited by samtam
  • Like 2

I don't work for either, but I strongly suspect it's a money laundering / fraud protection policy. I used to load AiS using my UK cards, they stopped that 2 or 3 years back.

It's not just Thailand, in India no online sellers, even airline booking sites, will accept anything other than Indian Visa or Mastercards, the odd one or two will accept international AmEx cards.

It's just as well other countries don't (yet) adopt the same practice, otherwise it would kill e-commerce.

But it does call into question the efficacy of the ethos of VISA and Mastercard and their "verified by" process, (and others too). And when you practically have to produce a blood sample for DNA testing to set up a direct debit with True, you wonder what that's all about. Perhaps if other countries refused to accept VISA and Mastercard issued by Thai banks there might be a change of attitude. My understanding from my dim and distant financial services days was that these card issuers would withdraw their services to merchants that did not provide their services universally. Which is why I would like to hear from anyone who works for them, or Amex etc.

Kasikorn bank's payment page allows the use of foreign issued credit cards, but True just blocks the acceptance of the verified payment.

I have now had a call back from VISA in Hong Kong, through my bank HSBC, which issues me their VISA card, and I have explained the situation. I am waiting to make a similar report to Mastercard.

VISA will investigate why this merchant follows this practice. Whether this resolves the situation remains to be seen.

Herewith a print screen shot of the Kasikorn online payment page, showing clearly that it accepts non Thai issued credit cards.

It's just True that blocks it.

post-36039-0-30134800-1416914040_thumb.p

I don't have any relevant input as you've asked for but just wanted to let you know your thread is of interest as many have had their own challenges with merchants here using foreign Visa/MC cards. I have no interaction with True but will follow your thread to see what happens.

I am having the same problem with True. 2 months ago, they offered to set up "autopay" for my monthly TV bill with a credit card. They said everything was set to go. I even called my US bank to tell them a monthly bill would be coming from True, and that I authorized payment. It has never worked, and rather than calling me, they turned off my service when the bill became overdue. I called my bank, and was told that True never even attempted to make a charge. They also said they had my authorization noted, and there was no reason the charge would not go through if they attempted to process one. I went ballistic, paid my bill in cash, then called them to find out why their auto pay system wasn't working. I could not pay the bill online manually either, getting the same page as your screenshot. Strangely enough, I use the same credit card to pay my TOT bill online with no problem, and TOT uses the same "gateway bank" and verification process that True uses. True apologised profusely, and assured me that the system will work for my next bill. My bill was due yesterday, and the autopay did not happen, nor could I pay online. I called them again, and was told the billing department would call me back. I told them "that's what you said last month, and no one ever called me". The service person said, and I quote, "Sir, I promise you, I will have the billing dept. call you back shortly". Need I say it? No one ever did. So, off I went to the True shop to pay in cash to avoid them pulling the plug again. I have no clue what their problem is. Like I said, the same exact process works with TOT, but not with True, and all I get is lip service. I have no problems using my US credit cards in Thai stores or online. True is the only merchant that I have a problem with, and even they can not tell me why.

I am sorry you are having a similar problem, but I take comfort knowing it is not only me that is struggling with them. If i ever get an expanation or remedy to this, I will post it here.

Edited by curtklay
  • Like 1

Perhaps they are worried about losing money due to changes in exchange rates, or different commission charges.

I am kind of enjoying the fact that my Thai credit cards are becoming more usable to worry about my UK ones working here.

If you want to auto pay ie post pay accounts in Thailand get a savings account in Thailand and make deposits monthly, quarterly, or yearly to cover all the payments and ask them to charge that account. Works for everything from lights to phone and TV plus ends up being cheaper over time. Account does not require a debt card be issued for that account just a normal savings account works fine - you can transfer funds into it at any CDM or ATM or online.

If they just don't accept a CC at the counter that is strange - never had any company like true dtac or tesco etc not do so unless the temp block came from the bank.

• Like 1

Is this a vendor or K-bank problem? They seem to have ongoing issues with a number of utilities. Neither the electricity co (Phuket) or water can be paid direct from a Kasikorn accounts, but it can be done from most other banks. No idea why.

The "easier way" that I pay them is have my wife go to 7-11 and pay it for me. :-)

But seriously, I have had similar issue trying to make purchases online using Kbank card... I spent a week (literally) going back and forth between Kbank and the vendors payment support team... I never could resolve it and ended up going to the store, (Guitar Center in the US) to buy a gift certificate from them and then I used it to order the item I wanted online. (it wasn't stocked in the store...)

My solution doesn't help your situation, but it does confirm it's some kind of fraud "protection" system and I never found a way to get through the process.

If you want to auto pay ie post pay accounts in Thailand get a savings account in Thailand and make deposits monthly, quarterly, or yearly to cover all the payments and ask them to charge that account. Works for everything from lights to phone and TV plus ends up being cheaper over time. Account does not require a debt card be issued for that account just a normal savings account works fine - you can transfer funds into it at any CDM or ATM or online.

If they just don't accept a CC at the counter that is strange - never had any company like true dtac or tesco etc not do so unless the temp block came from the bank.

What guarantee do you have in Thailand if they make a mistake with any auto debit payment? In the Netherlands you can request the bank (online ofcourse!) to immediately reverse the payment for any reason for a period of 30 days after the payment.

As long as Thai banks do not offer this safety net, I will never setup any automatic debit payment here.

I don't work for either, but I strongly suspect it's a money laundering / fraud protection policy. I used to load AiS using my UK cards, they stopped that 2 or 3 years back.

It's not just Thailand, in India no online sellers, even airline booking sites, will accept anything other than Indian Visa or Mastercards, the odd one or two will accept international AmEx cards.

----------------------

In the majority of cases, it is NOT the Thai banks who are refusing the cards, especially those issued by foreign banks.

It is because the foreign banks them selves are not honoring the cards at the source.

Sometimes, as in my personal case, it is because the foreign bank does not know or specify that the card will be used outside of the country of issue.

Therefore, when they see the card used in a "overseas transaction", as in an ATM in Bangkok, the bank in the country of origin will block the card until they can verify the transaction was not fraud using a stolen card.

That is exactly what happened to me, and it took a phone call to the issuing bank fraud security people to release the funds and clear the transaction..... all at my expense, of course.

As we say in the U.S., been there, and got the T-shirt for proof.

----------------------

In the majority of cases, it is NOT the Thai banks who are refusing the cards, especially those issued by foreign banks.

It is because the foreign banks them selves are not honoring the cards at the source.

Sometimes, as in my personal case, it is because the foreign bank does not know or specify that the card will be used outside of the country of issue.

Therefore, when they see the card used in a "overseas transaction", as in an ATM in Bangkok, the bank in the country of origin will block the card until they can verify the transaction was not fraud using a stolen card.

That is exactly what happened to me, and it took a phone call to the issuing bank fraud security people to release the funds and clear the transaction..... all at my expense, of course.

It could very well be that...the home country card-issuing bank blocking the transaction. And maybe the business gets a high percentage of rejects (i.e., say 25% get rejected, 75% go through) that they just decide to not accomplish it for any card...or maybe just for non-Thai bank cards....or maybe ???????

And the home country/card-issuing bank could very well "allow" an in-person signature transaction like paying at the counter compared to an online transaction since with a counter transaction a signature will be obtained and possibly/hopefully the merchant accomplishing the transaction doing some type of confirmation like comparing signatures on the card and receipt...or maybe even an ID check.

Yes, I know signature comparison/ID check rarely occurs in Thailand but a counter transaction is probably less likely to be fraudulent than an online transaction where somehow someone just copied your card number and CCV and then went online to pay for some services, buy some stuff and have it shipped to an address separate of the billing address, etc. And for this online transaction it may not even require a OTP....none of my online buys for the various U.S. cards I use require an OTP to complete the buy, but I know an increasing number of U.S. bank cards, and especially credit unions issued cards, have significant different rules for online buying compared to in-person buying.

Edited by Pib

I am having the same problem with True. 2 months ago, they offered to set up "autopay" for my monthly TV bill with a credit card. They said everything was set to go. I even called my US bank to tell them a monthly bill would be coming from True, and that I authorized payment. It has never worked, and rather than calling me, they turned off my service when the bill became overdue. I called my bank, and was told that True never even attempted to make a charge. They also said they had my authorization noted, and there was no reason the charge would not go through if they attempted to process one. I went ballistic, paid my bill in cash, then called them to find out why their auto pay system wasn't working. I could not pay the bill online manually either, getting the same page as your screenshot. Strangely enough, I use the same credit card to pay my TOT bill online with no problem, and TOT uses the same "gateway bank" and verification process that True uses. True apologised profusely, and assured me that the system will work for my next bill. My bill was due yesterday, and the autopay did not happen, nor could I pay online. I called them again, and was told the billing department would call me back. I told them "that's what you said last month, and no one ever called me". The service person said, and I quote, "Sir, I promise you, I will have the billing dept. call you back shortly". Need I say it? No one ever did. So, off I went to the True shop to pay in cash to avoid them pulling the plug again. I have no clue what their problem is. Like I said, the same exact process works with TOT, but not with True, and all I get is lip service. I have no problems using my US credit cards in Thai stores or online. True is the only merchant that I have a problem with, and even they can not tell me why.

I am sorry you are having a similar problem, but I take comfort knowing it is not only me that is struggling with them. If i ever get an expanation or remedy to this, I will post it here.

Like you, I initially had no problems with the new True Internet account I set up in July 2014, joining to other True Internet account I have been paying by Direct Debit for over 10 years, on my Hong Kong-issued Mastercard or VISA. But from August 2014 onwards they have bounced both payments, so I have paid either in person at their store in Paragon, using my Hong Kong-issued credit card, or manually online using a Thai savings bank transfer. I have since been to True in Paragon about 4 times to get the real answer as to why they will not accept my Hong Kong issued credit card. The stories have varied over the last 4 months, but now (last week) they inform me that True no longer accepts non-Thai issued credit cards for Direct Debit, or for Online payments through their Kasikorn Payment Gateway.

Whatever the reasons True have decided to discriminate, I am keen to make VISA and Mastercard aware of the situation. If there is nothing that they can do to prevent a merchant from this discrimination, then I have to live with it, but as I said it does rather reduce the point of "Verified by VISA" and "MasterCard Secure Secure Code". I do not know whether Thai-issued VISA and Mastercard credit cards are rejected if they are used for online purchases outside of Thailand, but it should follow that they would be. The irony is that in my early days here my VISA card issued in Hong Kong had to be replaced on quite a regular basis because it had been compromised by fraudulent activity within Thailand. Since the addition of security measures by my Hong Kong bank on my credit cards this no longer occurs, (fraudulent activity and the need for card replacement). I would have thought VISA and Mastercard have implemented these security measures with all their merchant clients, which further undermines the suggested reason why True have imposed a blanket rejection of non Thai issued credit cards.

----------------------

It could very well be that...the home country card-issuing bank blocking the transaction. And maybe the business gets a high percentage of rejects (i.e., say 25% get rejected, 75% go through) that they just decide to not accomplish it for any card...or maybe just for non-Thai bank cards....or maybe ???????

And the home country/card-issuing bank could very well "allow" an in-person signature transaction like paying at the counter compared to an online transaction since with a counter transaction a signature will be obtained and possibly/hopefully the merchant accomplishing the transaction doing some type of confirmation like comparing signatures on the card and receipt...or maybe even an ID check.

Yes, I know signature comparison/ID check rarely occurs in Thailand but a counter transaction is probably less likely to be fraudulent than an online transaction where somehow someone just copied your card number and CCV and then went online to pay for some services, buy some stuff and have it shipped to an address separate of the billing address, etc. And for this online transaction it may not even require a OTP....none of my online buys for the various U.S. cards I use require an OTP to complete the buy, but I know an increasing number of U.S. bank cards, and especially credit unions issued cards, have significant different rules for online buying compared to in-person buying.

No. The issuing bank has stated they are not blocking the payment. They have approved it after "Verification" by either one of the cards verification methods. I have rung them up immediately after the payment was refused, and they can see on their system that it is approved by them. The method by which True seems to block the Direct Debit payments is to deliberately exclude the expiry date of the card, causing the issuing bank to reject it. True have been informed of this issue, but I can only assume deliberately continue to exclude the expiry date, to prevent Direct Debits on overseas cards from being processed. As I said, they are now stating as a matter of policy, that they will not accept non Thai credit cards for Direct Debit or Online payments. I am waiting to hear back from VISA and Mastercard whether this is permitted within their terms and conditions of merchants who use their services.

As yet I do not know the answer, but I am naturally frustrated that over a period of 4 months I have had obfuscation from True on this issue.

By the look of it, I am not the only one.

----------------------

This is not the case in this instance. My bank in Hong Kong is well aware that I live and use my credit cards in Thailand. When I travel outside of Thailand I inform them, so that the rejection you describe does not occur.

verified by visa its going to send a otp to your thai phone. Not sure how you get the pass code from a hong kong bank.

It comes up on the screen after I have pressed the "pay" button. I then key in my password. The transaction is then processed.

I will set this up, but I am still curious to know the permitted procedures of merchants with credit cards, and whether what is happening is a violation.

----------------------

When I attempted to pay True in the past with a foreign credit card in the shop, it's never worked, and I always had to use cash. (and believe me - my cards were set up to allow foreign use, or it wouldn't just be True). For a long time, they would accept a foreign debit card on autopay for my TrueVisions, but I cancelled TrueVisions last year, so I don't know if I'd have the same problem as the OP now.

I've definitely run into issues with foreign debit cards, that is not the foreign bank's fault. i.e. I hit a Thai "limit" when buying plane tickets - forced to switch to a credit card even though, on calling my home bank, they said there was no problem with my debit card, and the charge would have gone through, but their side showed no attempted charge.

I assume the problem is maybe that the Thai bank gets charged for each failed attempt with a debit card, or they get a higher percentage profit from credit cards - so have an internal limit on debit card purchases for that reason. Admittedly, unless the OP has a ridiculously large True bill, this isn't likely to be the issue.

Nowadays, I pay my True (internet) account using internet banking just, from a Thai bank account. It's almost certainly cheaper in the long run to transfer funds to a Thai bank account (if the US is like the UK - NEVER let the foreign bank do the conversion to Thai Baht), then use the Thai account to pay bills. If there's any bills set up to autopay (except the electricity and water - which she allows out of her main account), she'll set up a separate savings account specifically for that bill, and only transfer in the money for a couple of months payments in that account - so that she can't lose too much money if the autopay goes screwy...

Samtam:

I think you have found the problem; True is not accepting foreign cards even though they have a drop down menu to select issuing countries and the bank names. This is the only explanation that makes sense. It is not the foreign bank blocking the transaction, as I have spoken with my bank and confirmed that is not the case. My bank firmly stated that True has never attempted to make a charge, even though they have my authorization on file. And as said, the same card works fine with TOT online payments. All my banks know I live in Thailand, and all my cards work online and in person. My problems with True started in August, just like yours. It is enlightening that they told you of their new policy. They have told me nothing, and in fact they offered to set up autopay with a credit card, and also said I would receive a 2% discount on my monthly bill using autopay! If they changed their policy, I can't understand why they haven't changed their online bill pay page, but I am convinced that what you are saying is the real story. Is it legal? I don't know, but if that's the way they want it, I will simply go back to paying in cash at 7/11 or their shop. I'm not going to give them access to my Thai bank account.

All of this is just more evidence of what a crappy company they are. Oh, and by the way...despite their rep's "PROMISE" to call me back, no one did.

True sucks.

Edited by curtklay

Perhaps they are worried about losing money due to changes in exchange rates, or different commission charges.

I am kind of enjoying the fact that my Thai credit cards are becoming more usable to worry about my UK ones working here.

You're lucky to have a Thai credit card----- my bank (SCB} will not issue credit card to Farang.Have Thai debit card for in Thailand ATM withdrawals only

No, I don't think so. They got the expiry date right for the previous payments, and they appear to just be sabotaging payments now by just excluding the expiry date altogether. Thai credit cards use the Western system of date AFAIK.

No, I don't think so. They got the expiry date right for the previous payments, and they appear to just be sabotaging payments now by just excluding the expiry date altogether. Thai credit cards use the Western system of date AFAIK.

Oh, OK, just a thought. I don't have a Thai credit card so I wouldn't know.

Back to the thread then..... Cheers.

Did you ever get more info on your card rejection with True?

/////

Oddly enough, our US issued MasterCard credit card was rejected by Lazada.th Saturday night - Mrs. ordered a sewing machine.

Payment verified, no detail errors/bounce backs, got the conf email, etc. Showed up as a pending charge online (Capital One), then next day a refund for that amount. By Monday afternoon, all Lazada entries were gone. No charges made. blink.png

Lazada sent an email saying our payment couldn't be processed, order auto-cancelled, try again with PayPal or COD option.

I sent inquiry asking specifics, and that I received no problem indications from my bank or MasterCard Fraud protection, etc.

They respond saying our card was invalid, because they only accept certain types of MasterCard.

Check their website. The Visa/MasterCard logos are prominently displayed, no caveats or asterisks.

Check their payment FAQs, says, "Lazada accepts all Visa/MasterCard supported cards". Does list some extra security measures for certain orders, which didn't apply to our case, and that they do have some limitations on Debit Cards, also N/A.

Sent Lazada a response today, zeroing in on this "certain types of MasterCard" thing, we'll see what they say.

Lazada sometimes has a "MasterCard Discount" posted with the item. When you try to apply that discount during payment, you'll find it's only certain Thai bank cards that qualify. They apologized to me for the confusion when I inquired, and said they are working on clarifying that in English. wai2.gif

As far as True goes...for the third month in a row, their autopay and manual pay with US credit card failed to work. They continue to claim it is my bank rejecting the charge. My bank says "absolutely false". I gave up, and told True to put me back on a cash basis. Another case of TIT. crazy.gif

Edited by curtklay

Lazada sometimes has a "MasterCard Discount" posted with the item. When you try to apply that discount during payment, you'll find it's only certain Thai bank cards that qualify. They apologized to me for the confusion when I inquired, and said they are working on clarifying that in English. wai2.gif

As far as True goes...for the third month in a row, their autopay and manual pay with US credit card failed to work. They continue to claim it is my bank rejecting the charge. My bank says "absolutely false". I gave up, and told True to put me back on a cash basis. Another case of TIT. crazy.gif

Re: MC Discount - Yeah, my wife mentioned that. When payment went through, didn't see any reduction. Thanks for clarifying. Actually, now I'm wondering if maybe we filled out the wrong credit card box or something, and once they did the back end processing, saw it wasn't the correct bank card for the promotional rate so........ sure....... just cancel the whole thing. That sounds fairly plausible actually.

Lazada responded quickly today, not long after I posted above ^^. From the same person, it said,

"Let me try finding out more details about this situation for you and I will get back to you as soon as I find out. Thank you for the inconvenience."

At least they are responsive. We'll see. Did get a chuckle out of the "Thank you for the inconvenience" part. LOL.

Edited by 55Jay