Are Thai Drivers the Best in the World?

David48

A: Of course.

Now ask a Brit if Brits are the best: Certainly.

Ask an American: You better believe it.

Ask an Aussie: Too right mate.

Ask a German: Sicherlich.

Ask a Canadian: Others are certainly capable drivers but Canadans do a good job too, eh.

biggrin.png

Are Canadans allowed to ride on sterilized Camels on a German Autobahn, or on a Thai highway, when riding upside down? facepalm.gif

I do 100Km every week day. That's about 8 Km village roads (currently 50% occupied by rice drying, always beset with dogs, chickens and occasionally drunks), 12 Km express way (I overtake / get overtaken on the left ,avoiding the potholes as I go) and 5 Km provincial town traffic (this is where a mixture of selfishness absolutely brilliant give and take becomes apparent) . I remember my first white knuckle drive into town and I was convinced for a long time that I would kill a motor cyclist soon.

It's no longer a matter of interpreting the body language of vehicles and drivers, it has become a matter of anticipating the body language. The motor cyclists don't move their head to look at their mirror but mostly I can feel that he is going to do something soon. Anyway I assume that everybody is about to do something very stupid.

I enjoy it mostly, and don't get more annoyed than I did in Switzerland where I drove about the same mileage every day. Touch wood.

Go drive in the Philippines traffic for a week - or try a city in India (PI is worse) then come back and love driving here........

Nice pic - make one think about driving without the r .....

One I drove in India on a "Bullet" and hit a calf.

I fell down, next to the holy creature, saw some villagers heading towards me, grabbed my bike, could start it again and took off.

Glad that they didn't get me. coffee1.gif

Out in Isaan it was OK for Thailand. Bangkok was usually too busy for them to do anything too stupid (although scooters managed to obliterate themselves quite regularly). Up here in Chiang Mai they're dreadful. The scooters and parked vehicles take up 2 out of 3 lanes on the bigger roads and quite often scooters like to veer into the only lane left for cars in an attempt to leave this present life. The Mae On road is full of idiots who think the yellow-lined central area is their own lane to the traffic lights as they're too important to wait like most, meaning they often take out bikes crossing over. The road has numerous examples of Thai road art done by the 'police'. Sitting in the fast lane blocking it for everyone else is also a common trait.

I'm moving house at the weekend so I can walk to work as I've had enough of their stupidity and ignorance.