Buying Car from Dealers or Tents cheaper than private sale

konying

May be i am wrong or looking at it wrong.

But been looking for a couple of used cars for a few months now and every single car listed in classifieds by foreigners is overpriced by at least 60-100k

When you point it out for them, and show them comparison to one2car or other sites, they still can not comprehend it.

The ones stating "negotiable" agree to 5K less the original price offers, mind you cars listed as i said way over priced.

Example, 1 guy selling BMW, initially asking 1.3 million, while same year same mileage selling on one2car for 900K

Offered 900K, refused.

Few months later, still up for sale, now asking price is 990K, while price on one2car from BMW dealer is 785K with BMW warranty and road side., yet fool insists on 990K

Its endless, almost every single car listed by foreigners is way over priced and fools refuse to negotiate, leaving cars for sale at crazy prices..

Can not help but wonder, if any of them actually check the market value or just wack a price and hope to get a fool to over pay.

Does not limit to cars, pretty much anything listed for sale by foreigners is over priced.

Vacuum cleaner, brand new 1200 baht, some fool wants 900 baht for 1 year old used one.

Used toaster, brand new like 400 baht, yet they selling it for 500 baht, used claiming its a brand name. Yeah it's just a bloody toaster, sharp or otto makes the same toast.

Facebook is even worse, people listing all sorts of rubbish, and i mean really rubbish, like used crappy shoes but asking for 1000 baht.

Mazda 3, brand new 1.1 m , yet fool is selling a 1 year old one for 990K

If its the same Car on one2car, why would you want the more expensive one.

Why would you only buy the one listed by farang

It seems Like you are mad since no one want to discount enough

People put something on sale, they put a Price tag. You offer another Price and Call Them fool if they dont want to sell.

When i have sonething to sell. A lot if fools often try get my Stuff below market value

same brand, same model, but not the same car.

The reason people prefer to buy private is because it suppose to be cheaper than a dealer.

Its because one can negotiate and see the history of the owner of the car to have some kind of idea about its past.

In case you struggle with the concept, there are hardly any cars listed privately by a Thai, one2car, talarod, kaidee, all dealer cars.

Common sense would suggest, before putting something up for sale, one should do a little research of what its worth.

Just because in your opinion its worth so many baht, it does not actually mean it does.

To me its more of a case where foreigner tries to scam other foreigners thinking they do not know the price, because i can not see any other explanation as to why cars sold through dealer would be cheaper than private sales by foreigners

Yes when people put a price which is above the market price and there is plenty of evidence, i call them fools, because they did not do the research and past few months experience has proven me right.

All the cars i was interested in which were way over priced, are still for sale now and to make owners even bigger fools, it is now for sale at the price i offered months ago.

To make them even bigger fools than before, 2015 is few weeks away, the moment 2015 clicks in, value of the car drops another 10% at least, as it adds another year to the age.

Seen one for 980 or offers and it was 5 months old. I thought that was a bit ambitious but one at 990k at 1 year old is taking the mickey.

Good looking cars though and I would consider one at the right price. What should they be worth at that age ?

same brand, same model, but not the same car.

The reason people prefer to buy private is because it suppose to be cheaper than a dealer.

Its because one can negotiate and see the history of the owner of the car to have some kind of idea about its past.

In case you struggle with the concept, there are hardly any cars listed privately by a Thai, one2car, talarod, kaidee, all dealer cars.

Common sense would suggest, before putting something up for sale, one should do a little research of what its worth.

Just because in your opinion its worth so many baht, it does not actually mean it does.

To me its more of a case where foreigner tries to scam other foreigners thinking they do not know the price, because i can not see any other explanation as to why cars sold through dealer would be cheaper than private sales by foreigners

Yes when people put a price which is above the market price and there is plenty of evidence, i call them fools, because they did not do the research and past few months experience has proven me right.

All the cars i was interested in which were way over priced, are still for sale now and to make owners even bigger fools, it is now for sale at the price i offered months ago.

To make them even bigger fools than before, 2015 is few weeks away, the moment 2015 clicks in, value of the car drops another 10% at least, as it adds another year to the age.

"Just because in your opinion its worth so many baht, it does not actually mean it does."

That applies to you also doesn't it?

Just because you reckon something's overpriced doesn't necessarily mean it is. I may be wrong but perhaps you are not gods gift to secondhand pricing and maybe not everyone is the fool you seem to think they are.

No it does not.

If the market price is this many baht, then I know or have an idea of what it's worth or what market gets .

This ain't a rare item which can not be compared

Seen one for 980 or offers and it was 5 months old. I thought that was a bit ambitious but one at 990k at 1 year old is taking the mickey.

Good looking cars though and I would consider one at the right price. What should they be worth at that age ?

3 months to 1 year is around 800K

I think most private S/H car sellers regard their cars to be superior to those displayed

at dealer tents, hence why they could be priced higher, especially the 2-3 year old being

sold by the original owner with low mileage and full history, something that dealers can't prove.

The OP should also be aware that many dealers advertise cars that don't actually exist at

a low price, to entice an initial enquiry, the dealers then say that the car is already sold, but

have other similar alternatives available to get potential buyers through the door.

Be interesting to know if the OP has actually been to the dealers and actually seen these

lower priced cars.

Edited by sotsira
  • Like 1

I think most private S/H car sellers regard their cars to be superior to those displayed

at dealer tents, hence why they could be priced higher, especially the 2-3 year old being

sold by the original owner with low mileage and full history, something that dealers can't prove.

The OP should also be aware that many dealers advertise cars that don't actually exist at

a low price, to entice an initial enquiry, the dealers then say that the car is already sold, but

have other similar alternatives available to get potential buyers through the door.

Be interesting to know if the OP has actually been to the dealers and actually seen these

lower priced cars.

In all fairness, i do not think i need to see every car dealer sells.

There is a clear pattern.

Yes some dealers list cars which do not exist, but do they apply it to every single model?

Here is another example for you, check out Mazda BT 50 for sale.

One listed is 3.2L for 695K, has been for sale for almost 2 months

New one listed 2.2L for 675K

Both are the same color, same condition, and about the same mileage.

Putting aside that there is 100K price difference between 3.2 and 2.2, dealers are listing 2.2 for under 600K

The car history from a dealer is no different to car history from a private seller. Both have log books and service history past.

Naturally if there is no log book or dealer service history, one can easily assume real mileage could have been altered, but again same applies to buying from dealer or private.

In all fairness, i do not think i need to see every car dealer sells.

No, not every car that is for sale, but you do need to see and check out the

ones that you find to be cheaper than the private sellers.

Otherwise you don't know if the car advertised by the dealers is for real

and if it is, what it's condition and proof of mileage and history?

My take on this is that most dealers are not to be trusted, apart from a few that

have genuine good quality low mileage cars with history to back up, and they

are usually highly priced.

The problem with 2nd hand car prices is many small dealers and part-time dealers (falangs included ) masquerade as private sellers hence their prices are similar, or the same, as dealers with a showroom.

You have to keep your wits about you when buying any 2nd hand car. There are some simple checks you can make to identify the dealers pretending to be private sellers.

• Like 1

Prices for cars here, new or 2nd hand, are (to me) way overpriced anyway, but that's the market here.Your choice whether to jump in or not.

Had one of my staff buy a 2nd hand Honda Accord (10 years old 'ish) here for 350,000 baht a while back which he thought was a bargain, he was amazed when I showed him the exact same car (same color, mileage, condition etc) on AutoTrader in the UK for the equivalent of 30,000 baht.

You're in Thailand, and when it comes to cars and bikes, you pay what they want or you go without.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

my recommendation for someone who is interested to buy a second hand car is to buy it from one of the auctions of repossessed cars. Significantly cheaper than car dealers and offers on websites.

Yes ,but a far greater risk .For something around B100,000 ,i might take the risk though .Facebook sometimes have bargains .Usually Farangs that have to sell quickly as they are leaving the Country.

I have to admit my experience was very similar. All the used cars we looked at, it the 1M range, were so close to the brand new price that in the end we bought brand new. Had cash but the finance offer was so good why use your own money. A Mu 7 for the record, had it two years, one of the best cars I've owned. Discussions I've had seem to support the view that used cars in Thailand just seem to hold their value.

I have to admit my experience was very similar. All the used cars we looked at, it the 1M range, were so close to the brand new price that in the end we bought brand new. Had cash but the finance offer was so good why use your own money. A Mu 7 for the record, had it two years, one of the best cars I've owned. Discussions I've had seem to support the view that used cars in Thailand just seem to hold their value.

So your experience was also that second hand cars here are quire expensive or that second hand cars at the tents are cheaper than the online offers?

So your experience was also that second hand cars here are quire expensive or that second hand cars at the tents are cheaper than the online offers?

Used cars in general. This was only in Udon Thani though, not sure if there is a regional difference, and we only went to dealers. The couple of people selling used cars around Ban Dung also wanted too much IMO.

OP must have been looking at the classifieds on this site giggle.gif don't forget the low end stuff still 60-100 but percent insteadgiggle.gif

Yes, you got me, 1 million baht car is a low end, I wonder what your high end is

The ones i bought from Thais/Dealers at the correct price and am driving, how are your soles coffee1.gif .

• Like 1

Prices for cars here, new or 2nd hand, are (to me) way overpriced anyway, but that's the market here.Your choice whether to jump in or not.

Had one of my staff buy a 2nd hand Honda Accord (10 years old 'ish) here for 350,000 baht a while back which he thought was a bargain, he was amazed when I showed him the exact same car (same color, mileage, condition etc) on AutoTrader in the UK for the equivalent of 30,000 baht.

You're in Thailand, and when it comes to cars and bikes, you pay what they want or you go without.

No 10 year old UK car is comparable with a 10 year old Thai car.

The salt and grit used in the UK is a guarantee that at that age the UK car body is in much worse condition than the Thai car.

That is not to say that Thai prices aren't high, they are, but people still buy them.

We have been looking at 2nd hand pickups for months now on some of the popular sites. They are well overpriced, they do not sell and now the ads have expired. The sellers must live on a different planet to me. New cars makes more sense here in Thailand. Hope the greedy sellers get stuck with their high priced beasts of burden.

lower priced cars.

I have experienced this.

• Like 1

All my 2nd hand cars have sold under 72 Hours..I know the service record and full history and I price then to see quickly...For those that want Big Money ask a Big price and they remain on the internet with little to no interest...