Don Muang Airport To Become Market

george

I thought that this was only a caretaker government? Besides, why can't Thailand have two major aiports, if traffic is expected to increase over the coming years?

Yes, I agree totally. Why scrap a perfectly good airport with runways and everything else. Couldn't they use Don Muang as a domestic terminal for, say, Nok Air and Bangkok Air, etc??

What's the plan for the runways? how about a drag racing track for teens??

I thought that this was only a caretaker government? Besides, why can't Thailand have two major aiports, if traffic is expected to increase over the coming years?

Yes, I agree totally. Why scrap a perfectly good airport with runways and everything else. Couldn't they use Don Muang as a domestic terminal for, say, Nok Air and Bangkok Air, etc??

What's the plan for the runways? how about a drag racing track for teens??

Quick update on Savarnabumi. I have just been told that the Thai Airline I fly for is definately going on Sep. 28, 2006. All of us really believed that it would be Christmas or later. Or 6 month before the Bangkok Summer Olympics. I am supposed to go down to the new airport this week and check out our office space etc... Will report back on what I see.

As for Don Muang, I am pretty sure that they will at least keep runway 21L open and the Airforce will remain in place. All of their facilities are on the opposite side of the Runways. Might also be used for VIP flights etc... Not sure what will happen to all the Thai Air Hangars. There were rumors of creating a huge overhaul facility and allowing small repair stations to operate. So many rumors going around. Just have to wait and see. TIT.

Nobody asked me Dept; I had stated on my website that the Don Muang space should be set aside for something inspiring and different. Perchance a park? no way jose, Thailand is abysmal for parks. Bkk has one small park and a muddy river. There is no such thing as a decent park in any Thai town or city. Also worth considering for Don Muang: a museum with an emphasis on alternative energy and environmental husbandry coupled with features to encourage budding inventors. Can't happen. The caretaker gov't who, by law, are not supposed to enact any new legislation have decided on ......a giant market - a decision expected from the money worshiping TRT heads who are completely devoid of any creative and uplifting concepts. What a let down.

Have you been to Bangkok? which small park do you mean? Chatuchak? Lumpini? Rama 9?

as for using it for domestic flights .... dumb idea ... just what you want after flying in from the USA after 20+ hours is to have to transit across town to get a flight to Chiang Mai or Phuket!

indoor market? great idea ... not having to sweat your butt off at JJ or deal with rain etc ...

green space? there is already a golf course there .... and with the new central park area .... why bother?

Edited by jdinasia

I think this is a Good Idea, even though it might be far from Town, they might be doing this to inspire ecconomic growth in that area. Look at the areas around Pra tu nam, Ja Du Ja, on the weekends those places are PACKED! And the Tourists will go there no matter how far away it is.

And if the Market is all Shaded, it might prove to be nicer than all the other markets especially if it is either Airconditioned or it is breezy from the open Airfield next to it. It migth turn out to be a pretty nice place all things considered. Not to mention the fact that it could very easily evolve into an International Market Place being that vendors MIGHT be able to truck their goods next door and ship it out, or recieve goods easier because they are right next to the Airport.

I see this as a Postive development for Thailand, not something negative.

SUA*

:o

I think this is a Good Idea, even though it might be far from Town, they might be doing this to inspire ecconomic growth in that area. Look at the areas around Pra tu nam, Ja Du Ja, on the weekends those places are PACKED! And the Tourists will go there no matter how far away it is.

And if the Market is all Shaded, it might prove to be nicer than all the other markets especially if it is either Airconditioned or it is breezy from the open Airfield next to it. It migth turn out to be a pretty nice place all things considered. Not to mention the fact that it could very easily evolve into an International Market Place being that vendors MIGHT be able to truck their goods next door and ship it out, or recieve goods easier because they are right next to the Airport.

I see this as a Postive development for Thailand, not something negative.

SUA*

:o

Good point there.I mean what will happen to the Don Muang district when the airport has gone, along with the multitude of workers who live there because it is convenient to get to work?

Yet another example of "Thai Logic" :o

Well, it is as a matter of fact. If you overlook the interests of vendors and shoppers, and focus on the interests of those who stand to gain by granting concessions, then you can readily see it might be a very profitable venture. Thai politicians plunder public assets. That logic is inescapable.

Don Muang Airport willremain open for the forseeable future.

It will be used for Charter flights, General Aviation, Military and Training. There will also be aircraft overhaul and repair shops.

There are no plans to de-commission the Instrument landing systems on either of the two parallel runways. So it will remain a perfectly functional airport although there will be spare terminal capacity.

When weather conditions permit it will make a most valuable flight planning alternate for the new airport as against U-Tapao; particularly for long haul flights into the new airport.

There's loads of space in there. Surely it doesn't have to be a single solution?

I think the upper floors for government building - as someone said ealier, collect the current offices that are spread all over the place into a single place with all the benefits that would bring. The lower floors for an indoor-market (rather than anoth mall).

Seems to win all round as it keeps jobs in the area for all sectors of society and keeps the benefits of the road improvements etc that have been made over the years to service it as an airport (express way etc).

PS: There are 5 international airports in London, not just two: Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton, Standstead and the baby of the crop City.

PPS: There are a lot of parks in BKK from small fenced greens to quite large parks. And there's muddy canals to go along with the muddy river :o

Commerce Ministry to develop Don Muang Airport into wholesale market

BANGKOK: -- The Commerce Ministry is set to come up with a plan to develop a certain section of the outbound passenger building of the Don Muang International Airport into the international wholesale market.

Siripol Yodmuangcharoen, Director-General of the Internal Trade Department, said he and Deputy Commerce Minister Preecha Laohapongchana would propose the plan with Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister Somkid Jatusripitak when he returned from a trip to the United States next week.

Initially, he expected, the wholesale market would require a total area of at least 40,000 square metres. Products placed for sale in the market are various ranging from consumer goods to farm products and must be made in Thailand.

He said the market would be established and operated by a joint venture set up under the state and private cooperation.

The government would jointly set up the venture through the Public Warehouse Organisation.

Mr. Siripol said the implementation of the plan was pending a clear policy of Dr. Somkid, who would have to propose it to the cabinet for consideration and raise it for discussion with Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited if he supported it.

He said he was confident Thailand’s wholesale and retail markets for consumer goods would expand considerably if the country had the international wholesale market.

--TNA 2006-08-08

Don Muang Airport to become market--partly

BANGKOK: -- When flight operations cease at Don Muang Aiprort, Thailand's Ministry of Commerce plans to convert at least a portion of Don Muang International Airport's existing departure areas into a central market after the new Suvarnabhumi International Airport is opened for commercial use on September 28, Deputy Commerce Minister Preecha Laohapongchana said Saturday.

The Don Muang Airport has two international terminals and one domestic terminal.

Departure areas are on the upper levels of the three terminals.

Arrivals are on the ground floor of the three terminals, while parking facilities are available for prospective shoppers.

A feasibility study has been conducted and will be soon given to Commerce Minister Somkid Jatusripitak, also a deputy prime minister, for his consideration before being submitted to the cabinet for a final approval, Mr. Preecha said.

The ministry plans to use 5,000 to 10,000 square metres of the airport's departure section for use as central market which will enable people to buy goods at fair prices, Mr. Preecha said.

Manufacturers will be allowed to display and sell their merchandises at the area, but their rights will be revoked if their goods are found to be overpriced or the quality is poor, he added.

--TNA 2006-08-05

This is exactly what I've often asked myself, other capital cities can pride themselves on having a 'chain' of airports. I can only surmise the government prefers over-centralisation to division.