Corruption scandal: Police find Bt2-bn in cash, valuables in secret vaults in 11 of Pongpat's homes

webfact

While this is fantastic to see and long overdue, we must remember to not stereotype all police officers

I know two officers personally who would give their left arm to the community if they needed it and would never take a single satang they didn't earn

I hope that news articles like this will lead to less Thai bashing here on thaivisa .

ThaiVisaness will dash your hopes.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After you caught all the corrupt RTP go after all the unusually rich 4 star Generals. I wonder how much a promotion to General would cost here or a transfer to a staff position could cost someone.

A friend of mine paid more than $US one million for a promotion from Pol. Lt. Col. to Pol. General about three years ago. It makes me wonder why Pol. Capt. Chalerm stayed as a Captain.

Maybe time to become a little more careful who to call a "friend"............. !?

If that's your "friend" I better don't want to know who your enemies are.... 55555555

Just joking..... wink.png

I have the kind of friends that would make people afraid to be my enemy not that I behave in any way that creates enemies.

Edited by rametindallas

I think this was always on the cards, and now we see the true face of Thailand in all it's glory. How the junta will be able to treat the cancer of corruption when there are so many, is anyone's guess. All I know it will take a while to sort this problem out, as institutionalised corruption is endemic. Hopefully, the next generation will have decent law abiding individuals are role-models, not the rubbish we have now.

After you caught all the corrupt RTP go after all the unusually rich 4 star Generals. I wonder how much a promotion to General would cost here or a transfer to a staff position could cost someone.

A friend of mine paid more than $US one million for a promotion from Pol. Lt. Col. to Pol. General about three years ago. It makes me wonder why Pol. Capt. Chalerm stayed as a Captain.

Maybe time to become a little more careful who to call a "friend"............. !?

If that's your "friend" I better don't want to know who your enemies are.... 55555555

I have the kind of friends that make people afraid to be my enemy.

not sure if that sounds good.... sounds like "playing the same game, just believing to have to better cards..."? "Same colour, just different shape"...?

But what do I know, maybe I am wrong........;)

Good luck with your "endeavours"..... ;)

Still funny how they all are surprised and startled when they find corruption money. How is this possible? We had no idea... Yeah right...

Corruption has been the only way to go in Thailand and it was even openly thought in the Thai universities that it was OK to be corrupt as the study of Chula uni did

not sure if that sounds good.... sounds like "playing the same game, just believing to have to better cards..."? "Same colour, just different shape"...?

But what do I know, maybe I am wrong........wink.png

Good luck with your "endeavours"..... wink.png

No 'endeavors' involved and it's not a game. My best Thai friend is very connected and he has introduced me to many important people as his friend. It seems that many Thai people want to have at least one Farang friend. I have done favors for some of these people to put them in my debt; all very Thai behavior. In this country it pays to have friends in positions where they can help you, whether you need that help or not. I was very lucky in meeting my friend. Maybe it's my Karma. I always behave ethically and above board and have built a good reputation so that I'm never even asked to do something shady.

As a indication of just how this problem goes right to the grass roots, so to speak. This a.m. I observed a RTP check point pulling over all motorcyclists without helmets and issuing a 200 baht ticket to each offender. The passengers apparently were exempt. Positioned just out of sight was the station OIC observing just how many offenders his troops pulled over. BUT, not ten minutes later a RTP officer went on his motorcycle to get breakfast at the local 7-11 and you guessed it, without a helmet.

It was reported in the BP that the carcasses of five protected endangered species were also found. What hope is there for this country's fauna if even the top brass are munching down on it? bah.gif

Doubt they would be eating them, no profit in that. More than likely for someone farther north to eat.

Wouldn't it be interesting if there was some connection to a once prominent politician who has still got to face charged relating to exporting endangered wildlife.

Then there was the top cop and his group who were caught some time back poaching in Kaeng Krechan NP

"Speaking about the high-profile arrests for the first time, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said the case would undergo normal processes in the justice system. He said the issue involved certain officers, but not the entire police force. He added that legal action taken against the high-profile officers was part of the much-awaited reform of the Royal Thai Police."

i hope there is more to come

I agree completely, remember the story about the people paying 300,000 baht for help to pass the RTP entry exam. I wonder why someone would want to pay 300,000 for a job that requires them to pay for their own uniforms, guns and motorbikes, and pays 8,000 per month? Short story, a retired Australian police friend of mine was asked to speak to the son of his Thai lady friend. She asked him to talk the lad out of quitting university to join the RTP. When he asked the young man why he was considering such a move, he replied, "I'm tired of being poor".

Is that what they get 8k?? And pay for gear??? U serious

I thought min. 15-20k for trafic cop? No

It was reported in the BP that the carcasses of five protected endangered species were also found. What hope is there for this country's fauna if even the top brass are munching down on it? bah.gif

Doubt they would be eating them, no profit in that. More than likely for someone farther north to eat.

Wouldn't it be interesting if there was some connection to a once prominent politician who has still got to face charged relating to exporting endangered wildlife.

Then there was the top cop and his group who were caught some time back poaching in Kaeng Krechan NP

I believe it is other members of Pongpat's family found with the carcasses - maybe they are going after the whole family for some reason...

• Like 1

Another fellow who stole more log chain than he could swim across the river with, he got caught while he still had a ways to go before stepping into the deep water which would be above his head. Another example of give them enough rope and they will hang themselves. The present government does not seem content with the long wait, in the past 6 months they seem to be on track to set a new record in Thailand for exposing the crooks who have taken advantage of the mai pen rai attitude that seems so prevalent here.

Speaking about the high-profile arrests for the first time, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said the case would undergo normal processes in the justice system.

That being a transfer to an inactive post on full salary with a retirement announcement and full pension.

The issue here is that Thainess involves no morality, integrity or indeed honesty and therefore you have a system that is corrupt to the core. The only way you could possibly reform the RTP is to sack the lot and start again ... this time with proper laws that carries a minimum of 50 years in prison and the stripping of ALL family assets. Obviously each new officer should undergo proper training.

Seriously if I was a Thai I'd never admit it.

But what do I know, maybe I am wrong........wink.png

Good luck with your "endeavours"..... wink.png

No 'endeavors' involved and it's not a game. My best Thai friend is very connected and he has introduced me to many important people as his friend. It seems that many Thai people want to have at least one Farang friend. I have done favors for some of these people to put them in my debt; all very Thai behavior. In this country it pays to have friends in positions where they can help you, whether you need that help or not. I was very lucky in meeting my friend. Maybe it's my Karma. I always behave ethically and above board and have built a good reputation so that I'm never even asked to do something shady.

sure "I always behave ethically", I did not try to imply anything else. I guess you got the "tongue in cheek" kinda thing... One can never have "too few friends"........ ;)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just how could corruption on such a massive scale go unnoticed ?

Simple answer is that it couldn't so those involved must have had quite an edge such as powerful allies and protection, maybe serious black on others etc.

Not a unique situation here and quite an indictment of Thainess. Nothing will change and when a new regime is in power the only thing that will change is in who have their snouts in the trough.

Up till now if you knew anything you turned a blind eye and keep you mouth shut , otherwise NKK you wake up dead or even disappeared

......................."Up till now".....................

Correct ! Up til now (I mean since the Shins lost their grip on power and the Military stepped in to sort out the mess) the corruption in the RTP was allowed to

flourish under Thaksin's rule.

Did any big cops ever get busted under Shin rule ?

• Like 1

Once upon a time, people supplying assistance to the enemy, in this case those in the south shooting priests, teachers, police colleagues, students and setting roadside bombs, were classified as conducting TREASON!

In those old days, persons guilty of treason had a brief holiday in the Tower of London. If the executioner was paid sufficiently well, a sharp axe and a single stroke was used. Otherwise it became a slow business.

As the saying goes, 'let the punishment fit the crime'.

Yes, we now live in civilised times, but I'm sure the army has appropriate means.

An 'Economic Hit Man' I know here, once got on the wrong side of his Thai girlfriend "business partner" who then started to wipe him out financially. Things went south and he was soon confronted by a Thai General whose help he thought he could count on. When the general found out who the lady was, he declined his assistance because she was part of a Chinese Triad group with whom the General had an "understanding". A 'hit' was commissioned on my 'source' who barely escaped with his life after losing all and spending ten months in hospital. This all had to do with ocean front property in Phuket.

Only owned 11 houses and no one noticed , the life style audit should from now on be carried out yearly on this department and everybody is audited.bah.gif

This is absolutely essential to combatting corruption. Remember Supoj a couple of years ago during the floods....he had a billion baht in trash bags in his house and a fleet of cars and a 30000 baht per month salary. He said he got the billions by working part time in the evenings as an architect. The case is yet (after 3 years) to come to court. He has not lost his job but was transferred to an inactive post. This is the problem in Thailand, the cases don't reach court before the statute of limitations runs out....

• Like 1

How could a Pol. Lt. Col. ever accumulate a million dollars to buy a promotion.