Stay Away From a Plasma TV on Offer?

SheungWan

The price drop reflects Samsung having decided to get out of the plasma business, has nothing to do with overheating, but with excess inventory

Plasma's are inherently hotter due to the nature of plasma versus LCD or LED technology

Yes I know that plasma is inherently hotter. my question is more directed at whether the reports of Samsung plasma overheating should stop one buying one of these TVs on offer

Nope! I have had 2 plasmas for years, never given me any problems, one is a Panasonic the other a Samsung. If I were you check out the Panasonic 50" in Powerbuy for around 20k

The bit I got wrong was that the plasma on offer was from Big C. Actually it is Powerbuy and it is the Samsung 51" yes at just under 20K, maybe a little bit more as there is one of those stickers saying 'special offer, speak to an assistant'. I haven't noticed a Panasonic at that price but then we are probably mooching around different branches. The one I lurk in is the Central Festival Mall on Beach Road. If I don't bite the bullet on this model then its the Samsung 48" at 23000 but I've currently got a psychological block at 20000. Want to go with Samsung because of the central stand and leaning away from sticking the thing up the wall.

Not sure central stand would be an advantage on that size set myself. Reason is easy to turn? You really need close to wall to avoid any chance of tipping over if hit. I just bought a light LED LG 42" smart TV for a bit over 15k and find the two supports to be much more stable than the central supports of previous smaller sets. I would not consider plasma for electric use/heat/weight reasons when 1080 is available for less in LED versions now; but I know some prefer the picture if you have a darkened room.

Not sure central stand would be an advantage on that size set myself. Reason is easy to turn? You really need close to wall to avoid any chance of tipping over if hit. I just bought a light LED LG 42" smart TV for a bit over 15k and find the two supports to be much more stable than the central supports of previous smaller sets. I would not consider plasma for electric use/heat/weight reasons when 1080 is available for less in LED versions now; but I know some prefer the picture if you have a darkened room.

The reason for the central stand would be that the thing it has to stand on probably not wide enough to sit the spread apart stands. Not because of swivel functionality. So you think plasma at a significant disadvantage in undarkened rooms.......

Nope! I have had 2 plasmas for years, never given me any problems, one is a Panasonic the other a Samsung. If I were you check out the Panasonic 50" in Powerbuy for around 20k

I can't say enough good things about Panasonic TV's, bought them for ages.

Hope that isn't the kiss of death sad.png

• Like 2

Have no personal experience of how much light may effect - but I would not buy Plasma today. As for set extending beyond holding area I would think twice about that also - too easy to lose your investment with a misstep if edge exposed to possible hit. Might be worth wall mount if table is not large enough.

• Like 1

I bought the Samsung 51" on this offer a few months ago. Replaced a 43" 9 years old Samsung Plasma that had never had a problem. Fantastic value. Great picture (much better quality than LCD). No problems overheating. Buy it while you can.

• Like 2

The reason for plasma being cheap is because it's basically ancient.

Since plasma , have lcd, led.

Plasma does use up more electricity, does not offer good viewing angle .

For this prices , OP should get 40 inch LED Internet smart TV , as those are also old news now yet offer much more superior picture and sound over plasma

• Like 1

Have no personal experience of how much light may effect - but I would not buy Plasma today. As for set extending beyond holding area I would think twice about that also - too easy to lose your investment with a misstep if edge exposed to possible hit. Might be worth wall mount if table is not large enough.

Good point re wall mount, so I guess that opens up the race to other brands: nearest equivalent in price the LG 49" HD ready Not plasma at 21990 baht and then the Panasonic 50" at 24,490. See what happens? the prices start creeping up.....

Edited by SheungWan

There's 2 types of plasma screens: crap and awesome, with nothing really in-between. And even with the awesome ones, they're only awesome when properly calibrated and used in a dark room (just like projectors) - uncalibrated or used in a room with high ambient light they all become underwhelming.

At this price point, you are not going to get Panasonic ZT, VT, GT or even ST series levels of LED-beating PQ - you'd just be buying a plasma inferior to practically all name-brand LED sets in it's price range.

Shop for an LED instead.

That's not to say I'm against Plasma - I love my 65" VT ;) - but you need to be the picky type to appreciate it, and it's only suitable for a very controlled room.

Edited by IMHO

I bought a 51" Samsung HD plasma tv app 1 year ago for 25K baht.

Great TV, love it and never had any problems with it. Okay have to pull the curtains behind the sofa when watching tv during the day but not a problem for us.

It stands on a stand, he-he on a shelf and the rear is near the shelf wall.

I will keep it untill it dies or 4-5 years more and then the 4k super HD TV's will be much cheaper by then.

For this prices , OP should get 40 inch LED Internet smart TV , as those are also old news now yet offer much more superior picture and sound over plasma

On your first point is plasma any more ancient than the LCD HD ready models still being sold? On a par, yes?

As for the electricity issue, is this really going to cost that much more to care about it? and make the room any much more hotter than it already is?

Re the alternative of getting a 40" smart TV, granted this gets me under the preferred price bar but now that I have seen the neighbour's (same size room) 48" (granted LED) in operation, the 40-42" size doesn't quite cut it for me any more. I guess what I am saying is that I am gravitating towards the cinematic illusion of size over the image quality (and as a member of the BFI I have watched some shitty print quality in my time). Following on from that, the 50-51" size seems significantly bigger than would expect even over the 48". I am trying to persuade myself to bite the bullet and go for the Panasonic at just under 25K but it is still an uphill task and when one throws in the price of the wall bracket they are wanting to flog me the plasma still beckons....

Full HD Samsung 50" LCD is 22k (list price), 20k for a plasma isn't a bargain these days.

Watch out though, Big C and places like it often sell low definition, don't buy below full HD.

Smart is a waste of money.

Advertising hype.

Samsung Plasma screens are top picture quality, LG are bottom.

Edited by BritManToo

On your first point is plasma any more ancient than the LCD HD ready models still being sold? On a par, yes?

As for the electricity issue, is this really going to cost that much more to care about it? and make the room any much more hotter than it already is?

Re the alternative of getting a 40" smart TV, granted this gets me under the preferred price bar but now that I have seen the neighbour's (same size room) 48" (granted LED) in operation, the 40-42" size doesn't quite cut it for me any more. I guess what I am saying is that I am gravitating towards the cinematic illusion of size over the image quality (and as a member of the BFI I have watched some shitty print quality in my time). Following on from that, the 50-51" size seems significantly bigger than would expect even over the 48". I am trying to persuade myself to bite the bullet and go for the Panasonic at just under 25K but it is still an uphill task and when one throws in the price of the wall bracket they are wanting to flog me the plasma still beckons....

Before you let that plasma keep beckoning, think about the room it's going into, rather than the showroom you're seeing it in now.

If the room has times you'd call "only moderately light" from indirect sunlight, forget plasma. Plasmas do a good job of handling normal 3000-5000 kelvin man-made light sources, but as soon as there's wide-spectrum ambient light from the sun in the room, blacks become gray (even light gray), and because plasma's aren't capable of high lumens, the colors will all wash out too.

It will not look like it does in the sunlight devoid, carefully lit showroom you're probably seeing it in.

If you have blackout curtains that are normally closed, or the room doesn't get much ambient sunlight, go for it :)

Before you let that plasma keep beckoning, think about the room it's going into, rather than the showroom you're seeing it in now.

If the room has times you'd call "only moderately light" from indirect sunlight, forget plasma. Plasmas do a good job of handling normal 3000-5000 kelvin man-made light sources, but as soon as there's wide-spectrum ambient light from the sun in the room, blacks become gray (even light gray), and because plasma's aren't capable of high lumens, the colors will all wash out too.

It will not look like it does in the sunlight devoid, carefully lit showroom you're probably seeing it in.

If you have blackout curtains that are normally closed, or the room doesn't get much ambient sunlight, go for it smile.png

You're beating me up here.... 'er, I am in a corner unit with windows on 2 sides, though there are some nicely tasteful salmon pink curtains with silvery black out protection. I will admit that the colour strength of the plasma in the PowerBuy showroom not quite as bright as the 85" LED thug it is currently sitting next to, but it seemed good enough at the price point.

Most discontinued models sells without warranty, specially in Big C.

For under 15K you can find a 40" LED TV. Look around. I bought a 40" LED LG for 10K just 3 months ago with one year warranty on a big Chiang Rai store. Smart TVs are a lot more expensive, and do not makes sense if you have a nice laptop computer you can connect on it. Lazada offers are also good, and you only pay after delivery and testing at your home.

Edited by umbanda

The bit I got wrong was that the plasma on offer was from Big C. Actually it is Powerbuy and it is the Samsung 51" yes at just under 20K, maybe a little bit more as there is one of those stickers saying 'special offer, speak to an assistant'. I haven't noticed a Panasonic at that price but then we are probably mooching around different branches. The one I lurk in is the Central Festival Mall on Beach Road. If I don't bite the bullet on this model then its the Samsung 48" at 23000 but I've currently got a psychological block at 20000. Want to go with Samsung because of the central stand and leaning away from sticking the thing up the wall.

I wouldn't worry at that price I would buy two and put one in the cupboard.

Who needs 3d. Who needs hi definition. Its TV. Whack a chromcast on it and stream anything you like. Bargain

Who needs 3d. Who needs hi definition. Its TV. Whack a chromcast on it and stream anything you like. Bargain

Agreed except the Hd, it is dramatically better. 3D no thanks, I have a hard enough keeping track of remotes, never mind glasses.

Agreed except the Hd, it is dramatically better. 3D no thanks, I have a hard enough keeping track of remotes, never mind glasses.

I Netflix and google movies in the UK and streaming HD is a pain. There is little hdtelevison anyway. Movies maybe.

But this endless effort to see every pore on someone is neat, but do I really want to see Wayne Rooney's complexion?

I Netflix and google movies in the UK and streaming HD is a pain. There is little hdtelevison anyway. Movies maybe.

But this endless effort to see every pore on someone is neat, but do I really want to see Wayne Rooney's complexion?

Lol but shakiras pores look better in hd

• Like 1

Most discontinued models sells without warranty, specially in Big C.

For under 15K you can find a 40" LED TV. Look around. I bought a 40" LED LG for 10K just 3 months ago with one year warranty on a big Chiang Rai store. Smart TVs are a lot more expensive, and do not makes sense if you have a nice laptop computer you can connect on it. Lazada offers are also good, and you only pay after delivery and testing at your home.

Utter rubbish. All TV's sold through Big C or any retailer has warranty.

Some models may not be refundable but all come with warranty- it's the law

Big C offering a Samsung 43" for under 15k and a 51" for under 20K. Have been reading some past reports about Samsung plasma overheating? Any comments?

Beware of Samsung TVs. I have had them for years, and they seem to stop making parts for the newer models after only 36 months. They turn over so many models I am told it does not make sense for them to continue making parts. The last one I had was a state of the art model, and it broke down twice. First time after 13 months. Second time after 36 months. Second time the samsung tech told me the parts were no longer available, anywhere in the world. What should I do with this TV that I paid 50,000 baht for just three years ago? Throw it away. That is what I did. I will never buy a Samsung TV again. I love the picture quality, and I use samsung phones, AC, refrigerators, and other products. But, the lack of support in the way of parts of their TVs is a shameful practice, and I cannot support their TVs anymore.