Stay Away From a Plasma TV on Offer?

SheungWan

A google search may turn up any irregularity or issue wirh the brand and model.

That's the easy part. Sifting through and making a judgement call on competing opinions eg on Amazon or here (!) is the difficult bit.

Edited by SheungWan

I bought a 50" panasonic plasma 1 year ago, and im very happy with it. the picture is much better than LED, as long as you can control the light to the room. Yes, its hot, so go with LED if thats a problem for you. if you are buying a tv for 1080 HD, and watch a lot of movies, you should def consider plasma.

Hi There, just my opinion, but I brought the Samsung 51in about 1yr ago for under B20k in Super Cheap.

I used it as a PC monitor for movies etc.

I have just sold it for B12,400, but only as I didnt want to move to the near home in the north.

I did see it in Nakhon Phanom Makro a couple of months ago for about B16,900. Hence my cheap selling price in Phuket.

It was a great TV, no problems. Just brought a Samsung 48 in LED in Tesco for B18,000. Rather bright in comparison to the plasma, but that can be adjusted.

Moral of the story, check around for prices, especially near month end deadlines...... I like to get a bargain!!!

It is the 28th......

Plasma vs LED/LCD is the real question. As many others have pointed out the super cheap prices are driven by the manufacturers getting out of the plasma business.

On the plus side, I've always, and still do, think that a large plasma screen (40inch +) gives a much more cinematic picture, deeper blacks etc than any large LED screen.

On the minus side, plasma is a real power hog, and you do still need to be mind full of the screen burn issue. So compared to the LED/LCD screens they aren't bulletproof and you need to be more careful with them.

At the end of the day, you need to figure out what's your primary driver; price, picture, utility

@OP: just to help confuse you more, here's a 42" 4K screen for 22.5K: http://www.lazada.co.th/lg-uhd-led-smart-tv-42-42ub820t-black-421613.html

Although that may be a tempting morsel placed in front of my eyes I am not going to bite. Size over features. I want big. 50".

Good call from the POV that no matter how big you buy, it'll start looking small soon :)

42" is still a reasonable size for the end of your bed though :P

@OP: just to help confuse you more, here's a 42" 4K screen for 22.5K: http://www.lazada.co.th/lg-uhd-led-smart-tv-42-42ub820t-black-421613.html

Although that may be a tempting morsel placed in front of my eyes I am not going to bite. Size over features. I want big. 50".

Good call from the POV that no matter how big you buy, it'll start looking small soon smile.png

42" is still a reasonable size for the end of your bed though tongue.png

Well the neighbour has got a 48" at the foot of his bed (that er doesn't sound quite right, but I will push on)....and that doesn't look particularly big in actualite. Well it doesn't to me, but the 42" is now looking titchy in mine eyes. So big is the new small and small is no longer reasonable..blink.png

Good call from the POV that no matter how big you buy, it'll start looking small soon smile.png

42" is still a reasonable size for the end of your bed though tongue.png

That is so true mate.

Was looking around the shops yesterday and saw an LG UB980T 84 inch.

It was next to the 65 inch model (I have a 64 inch) and it made it look like a portable.

It was also reduced from 600 000 Baht to 340 000. Still a lot of coin for a TV

but I'm still drooling over it.

Latest update is that the Samsung 51" plasma has disappeared from the Powerbuy display, so I guess someone from this thread has sneakily gone in and cleared the shelves. On the other side of the 3rd floor however, the LG store has a 50" plasma for under 18K om offer, so we're still in there chaps. Big C has a 55" TCL at under 20K, and I nearly cracked but something held me back and I read up some personal stories of those who had actually succumbed to buying the bargain basement TCLs and regretted doing so soon after. Sooo big though! The next cheapest 55" is the Toshiba at 30k, but once you are there why not go to 35k and get the LG cinema 55" (great screen)? And then we're in a different expenditure league and have to climb down again.....

Latest update is that the Samsung 51" plasma has disappeared from the Powerbuy display, so I guess someone from this thread has sneakily gone in and cleared the shelves. On the other side of the 3rd floor however, the LG store has a 50" plasma for under 18K om offer, so we're still in there chaps. Big C has a 55" TCL at under 20K, and I nearly cracked but something held me back and I read up some personal stories of those who had actually succumbed to buying the bargain basement TCLs and regretted doing so soon after. Sooo big though! The next cheapest 55" is the Toshiba at 30k, but once you are there why not go to 35k and get the LG cinema 55" (great screen)? And then we're in a different expenditure league and have to climb down again.....

I spoke too soon. The Samsung 51" is back on display but on one of the higher shelves. My beady eye recently alighted on a LG 49" LED on sale at under 20k, but checks indicated that this machine only 50 hz. Display looks duller, similar to the plasmas also on display.

If you're still floating on price, the 49" LG 4K is available for 28K...

Model number? Where listed?

I am leaning towards LG and had a shock today seeing one alongside a Sony 800 series and the Sony image looked slightly duller. (at TukCom)

At PowerBuy Central Fest there is a Philips non-smart 58" in all its glory but there are some online comments about the reliability of Philips TVs which made me nervous. 33K by the way.

I am leaning towards LG and had a shock today seeing one alongside a Sony 800 series and the Sony image looked slightly duller. (at TukCom)

At PowerBuy Central Fest there is a Philips non-smart 58" in all its glory but there are some online comments about the reliability of Philips TVs which made me nervous. 33K by the way.

http://www.lazada.co.th/lg-led-uhd-digital-smart-tv-49-49ub820t-black-527016.html

http://www.lazada.co.th/lg-led-uhd-digital-smart-tv-49-49ub820t-black-527016.html

nice price.

there is a guy on facebook selling refurbished TVs and has this one for 38k. I wonder how Lazada can do it for nearly 10k less.

nice price.

there is a guy on facebook selling refurbished TVs and has this one for 38k. I wonder how Lazada can do it for nearly 10k less.

Hmmm, may be the FB guy is overpriced coffee1.gif Is it a foreigner by any chance?

Edited by Anthony5

nice price.

Hmmm, may be the FB guy is overpriced coffee1.gif

Actually just checked. Lazada one is 49UB820T, Facebook guy one is 49UB850T.

Different models.

Different models.

The major difference appears to be no 3D in the 820 model. No real loss, so long as you already have another 3D set and have had the chance to get over it :)

Different models.

The major difference appears to be no 3D in the 820 model. No real loss, so long as you already have another 3D set and have had the chance to get over it smile.png

The 820 model 42" size now on sale at LG Central Festival for under 21k.

I spoke too soon. The Samsung 51" is back on display but on one of the higher shelves. My beady eye recently alighted on a LG 49" LED on sale at under 20k, but checks indicated that this machine only 50 hz. Display looks duller, similar to the plasmas also on display.

The 51" Samsung plasma appears to have gone walkies again at Powerbuy, but the 50" LG plasma at the LG shop now reduced to under 15k.

Does the OP has the intention of buying a flatscreen this decennial, or is this thread just a daily update on what's available?

I think I indicated earlier that I was advised there would be an end of year 'big sale' (dates advised between December 24 and December 30). The person who gave me the information subsequently passed over a copy of the other newspaper which referred to the government's 'New Year gift' (from the Commerce Ministry). It therefore seemed prudent to delay until then and continue to cover developments leading up to that date. But hey, sorry if the tension is too unbearable for you.

Edited by SheungWan

Does the OP has the intention of buying a flatscreen this decennial, or is this thread just a daily update on what's available?

I think there's enough people watching prices, that a thread could be made out of it :)

I think I indicated earlier that I was advised there would be an end of year 'big sale' (dates advised between December 24 and December 30). The person who gave me the information subsequently passed over a copy of the other newspaper which referred to the government's 'New Year gift' (from the Commerce Ministry). It therefore seemed prudent to delay until then and continue to cover developments leading up to that date. But hey, sorry if the tension is too unbearable for you.

There was an opinion piece in the other newspaper today Monday which (sneeringly) referred to the upcoming sales period (I think the official name is '7 Days of Happiness'). The dates now appear to be from December 26 to January 4. Maybe I should camp out overnight outside (take your pick) on Christmas Day to beat the rush assuming its on that is......

So now the fat lady can sing. Just had delivered. LG 49LB551T from Big C Extra. 15990 baht.

Ordered it yesterday after previously checking out both Numchai on Sukhamvit and Power Buy's offering on Pattaya Klang.

Additional notes: Be careful to check you have enough shelf space to put an LG as the legs on current models are quite far apart (in my case 102cm). Note 2: There is no such thing as too big. I reckon I could have handled a 55" or even maybe a 60" if I had been willing to splash the cash.

Edited by SheungWan

So now the fat lady can sing. Just had delivered. LG 49LB551T from Big C Extra. 15990 baht.

Ordered it yesterday after previously checking out both Numchai on Sukhamvit and Power Buy's offering on Pattaya Klang.

Additional notes: Be careful to check you have enough shelf space to put an LG as the legs on current models are quite far apart (in my case 102cm). Note 2: There is no such thing as too big. I reckon I could have handled a 55" or even maybe a 60" if I had been willing to splash the cash.

It looks as if I benefited from the 26th offer of the day, so don't expect to walk in today and automatically get the same item at the same price. Today's promotional model appeared to be something else in the same store. Anyway I think I will go and obsess about something else now on the shopping front. Thanks to all those who gave their observations on this thread re getting a plasma TV and all the other opinions as well. It was helpful. Fingers crossed the one I have doesn't blow up and/or melt down.

• 3 weeks later...

Full HD Samsung 50" LCD is 22k (list price), 20k for a plasma isn't a bargain these days.

Watch out though, Big C and places like it often sell low definition, don't buy below full HD.

Smart is a waste of money.

Advertising hype.

Samsung Plasma screens are top picture quality, LG are bott

In 1958, LG Electronic was founded as GoldStar which was a very bad product.In Australia it was the cheapest brand you could buy.GoldStar was one of the LG group with a sister company, Lak-Hui (pronounced "Lucky") Chemical Industrial Corp.n 1994, GoldStar officially adopted the LG Electronics brand and a new corporate logo. LG.

l.g MEANS Lucky if it Goes

• 2 weeks later...

Full HD Samsung 50" LCD is 22k (list price), 20k for a plasma isn't a bargain these days.

Watch out though, Big C and places like it often sell low definition, don't buy below full HD.

Smart is a waste of money.

Advertising hype.

Samsung Plasma screens are top picture quality, LG are bott

In 1958, LG Electronic was founded as GoldStar which was a very bad product.In Australia it was the cheapest brand you could buy.GoldStar was one of the LG group with a sister company, Lak-Hui (pronounced "Lucky") Chemical Industrial Corp.n 1994, GoldStar officially adopted the LG Electronics brand and a new corporate logo. LG.

l.g MEANS Lucky if it Goes

Lucky Goldstar (LG) was definitely a brand to avoid at one time. But, to be fair, they have come a long way since those early days. Friends who have bought LG haven't complained to me about their purchases.

They have shown innovation in their smartphones and Oled, edgelit and plasma TVs. I'm still suspicious of the quality of components they use to mass-produce this equipment, but not as much as I was a couple of years ago.

They also know how to capitalise on the WOW factor. Now they're chasing Samsung and are number 2 in South Korea.

They must be doing something right.