Stay Away From a Plasma TV on Offer?

SheungWan

Full HD Samsung 50" LCD is 22k (list price), 20k for a plasma isn't a bargain these days.

Watch out though, Big C and places like it often sell low definition, don't buy below full HD.

Smart is a waste of money.

Advertising hype.

Samsung Plasma screens are top picture quality, LG are bottom.

I had Samsung 36" for 3 years and it was fine . Just got a 36" LG Smart and it is far superior. However...all screens for all t.v. brands are made by Samsung did you know? ;-) Edited by bigwhitewarrior

Prices in Thailand are high. Was looking at TVs today. Leaning toward getting the Samsung 55" LED HDTV for $589.00. That's well under 20K Baht. Very similar LG 55" model is $529.00. Could get a 50" one for $479.00. 40 inch models run under $400.

You hardly ever see plasma TVs here anymore. My sister has one. Great in a dark room. Not so good in the daytime.

Full HD Samsung 50" LCD is 22k (list price), 20k for a plasma isn't a bargain these days.

Watch out though, Big C and places like it often sell low definition, don't buy below full HD.

Smart is a waste of money.

Advertising hype.

Samsung Plasma screens are top picture quality, LG are bottom.

I had Samsung 36" for 3 years and it was fine . Just got a 36" LG Smart and it is far superior. However...all screens for all t.v. brands are made by Samsung did you know? ;-)

Not true.. LG makes their own screens as does Sony and Sharp.

Nope! I have had 2 plasmas for years, never given me any problems, one is a Panasonic the other a Samsung. If I were you check out the Panasonic 50" in Powerbuy for around 20k

I can't say enough good things about Panasonic TV's, bought them for ages.

Hope that isn't the kiss of death sad.png

The news in the US about 6-9 months ago was that Panasonic planned to exit plasma TV business as too competitive and no profit. Have not searched lately. At the time, they had gone above Samsung for top TV's.

Nope! I have had 2 plasmas for years, never given me any problems, one is a Panasonic the other a Samsung. If I were you check out the Panasonic 50" in Powerbuy for around 20k

I can't say enough good things about Panasonic TV's, bought them for ages.

Hope that isn't the kiss of death sad.png

The news in the US about 6-9 months ago was that Panasonic planned to exit plasma TV business as too competitive and no profit. Have not searched lately. At the time, they had gone above Samsung for top TV's.

The reason for Panasonic dropping plasma's wasn't about profitability at the time, it was about the fact that the tech just doesn't scale up to 4K well (too heavy, too many watts, too many panels failing QC).

A 65" 4K Plasma would draw 1500-2000 watts.

Seeing that 4K would soon be the standard, they regretfully had no choice but to let it go.

Edited by IMHO

I got a Samsung 42" in 09. Loved the picture, but crapped out at start of world cup this year (figures). Got Samsung 40" LED for 13k. Better in several areas, but who knows how much due to improvements in other than screen areas. I prefer the smaller now as can take in whole screen without darting eyes or head about. But my older Plasma was better in daytime, contrary to what others post here... Did my old one die because ran hotter over time? who knows? I'll report back in 5 years see if LED still going.

You're beating me up here.... 'er, I am in a corner unit with windows on 2 sides, though there are some nicely tasteful salmon pink curtains with silvery black out protection. I will admit that the colour strength of the plasma in the PowerBuy showroom not quite as bright as the 85" LED thug it is currently sitting next to, but it seemed good enough at the price point.

Sorry man, don't mean to beat on you - just trying to give you the straight facts, so you don't end up posting back here with a bout of buyer's remorse :)

I *love* my plasma, but there's only one room in my house that is suitable for it... If I were to move it to any other room, it would be easily out classed by the much lower-end LED's I have, just because it really can't deal with the ambient sunlight in them.

Big C offering a Samsung 43" for under 15k and a 51" for under 20K. Have been reading some past reports about Samsung plasma overheating? Any comments?

Beware of Samsung TVs. I have had them for years, and they seem to stop making parts for the newer models after only 36 months. They turn over so many models I am told it does not make sense for them to continue making parts. The last one I had was a state of the art model, and it broke down twice. First time after 13 months. Second time after 36 months. Second time the samsung tech told me the parts were no longer available, anywhere in the world. What should I do with this TV that I paid 50,000 baht for just three years ago? Throw it away. That is what I did. I will never buy a Samsung TV again. I love the picture quality, and I use samsung phones, AC, refrigerators, and other products. But, the lack of support in the way of parts of their TVs is a shameful practice, and I cannot support their TVs anymore.

Uncomfortable reading that. Writing off 20k after 3 years might be doable though.

Big C offering a Samsung 43" for under 15k and a 51" for under 20K. Have been reading some past reports about Samsung plasma overheating? Any comments?

Beware of Samsung TVs. I have had them for years, and they seem to stop making parts for the newer models after only 36 months. They turn over so many models I am told it does not make sense for them to continue making parts. The last one I had was a state of the art model, and it broke down twice. First time after 13 months. Second time after 36 months. Second time the samsung tech told me the parts were no longer available, anywhere in the world. What should I do with this TV that I paid 50,000 baht for just three years ago? Throw it away. That is what I did. I will never buy a Samsung TV again. I love the picture quality, and I use samsung phones, AC, refrigerators, and other products. But, the lack of support in the way of parts of their TVs is a shameful practice, and I cannot support their TVs anymore.

Uncomfortable reading that. Writing off 20k after 3 years might be doable though.

Yes, but why? Because of a bizarre corporate policy decision? I don't think so. Will stick with LG or Sony. Both are better build quality over Samsung.

• Like 1

Yes, but why? Because of a bizarre corporate policy decision? I don't think so. Will stick with LG or Sony. Both are better build quality over Samsung.

There are plenty of people who don't rate LG models for one reason or another, no? As for Sony, often premium pricing.

The 50" Panasonic LED in Powerbuy is just under 25k. (not Smart) What's irritating is that the same model 50A-400 (B in UK, T in Thailand) is nearer 20k from Amazon UK. I just want to dig in my heels on that. Thailand seems to do no favours price-wise other than the 'no-name' TCL brand.

Power suply fails after some time - to small condensers (overheating?) - costs 5-10k to replace PSU. Not only Samsung but also LG (I have both brands, and had the problem with both – 4 y.o. 50” LG costed me 6k baht to repair – the 6 y.o. 42” Samsung not worth repairing, a brand new 41” LED was 500 baht cheaper than repair offer). sad.png

Furthermore a plasma TV use more electric power than LCD and LED, so you also save a little on the electric bill by choosing some else than plasma – if the big TV is running Thai-style all day that “little bit” can be 1,000 or 1,500 baht a year... thumbsup.gif

Edit: Just wish to add, that you can find good offers for brand names around 40” LED for less then 20k...

Edited by khunPer

The 50" Panasonic LED in Powerbuy is just under 25k. (not Smart) What's irritating is that the same model 50A-400 (B in UK, T in Thailand) is nearer 20k from Amazon UK. I just want to dig in my heels on that. Thailand seems to do no favours price-wise other than the 'no-name' TCL brand.

If you can wait, prices will drop. All the good promotions disappeared about 4 weeks ago. 'tis the season, la la la la la....

Edited by IMHO

Actually TCL is a brand name and are not all that bad (although maybe a step behind the current top lines). I have two 32" models that have been in heavy use for almost six years without issues. Now that HD is mainstream they are getting a little long in the tooth but still chugging along. Only negative I had was long channel change delay times - but when changed to sat box that was not an issue.

The terms "LED" and "LCD" are not interchangeable, and "LED" has nothing to do with "LCD".

"LED" (light emitting diode) is a newer type of backlight - the older was referred to as "CCFT" (cold cathode fluorescent tube).

Panels require a backlight, unless the panel inherently provides its own illumination. Two types of panels that do not require backlights are plasma, and "OLED" (organic LED). Finally, "LCD" (liquid crystal display) is the type of panel. Another type of panel is "plasma".

I had the same issues with a Samsung TV after 4 years old it broke and Samsung had now parts to repair it and later the same thing happened with my Samsung home theatre, again only 3 years old and no parts to repair it. Never again, Samsung products are cheap and never last.

I had the same issues with a Samsung TV after 4 years old it broke and Samsung had now parts to repair it and later the same thing happened with my Samsung home theatre, again only 3 years old and no parts to repair it. Never again, Samsung products are cheap and never last.

I love the picture quality. And the phones are great. But no more Samsung TVs for me. The parts issue is inexcusable.

I agree, LG, Sony, Panasonic, much better quality.

OP, i would also go check what Numchai's are offering on their TV's, i've always found them to

be very competitive with their pricing compared with other stores, they also have a very good after sales care policy with their own service department behind their main store on Sukhumvit.

If you can wait, prices will drop. All the good promotions disappeared about 4 weeks ago. 'tis the season, la la la la la....

If we wait till the new year I might get strung up by the other thread contributors. On the other hand do you really expect significant price drops after XMas/new year?

If we wait till the new year I might get strung up by the other thread contributors. On the other hand do you really expect significant price drops after XMas/new year?

I have to admit I really only watch prices on 4K sets these days, and a couple of exceptions aside (the LG 42" @22.5K and 79" @199K), the deals last month were much better (e.g. the LG 84" was 239K, now 319K).

I saw the same thing happen 2 years ago when I bought my 65" Panasonic VT plasma - I got it for 82K in November '12, in December '12 it was back up to 100K, then back down to 82K later in Feb 13. Back then there were several sets I was watching, all did the same price-wise.