Tourism Authority says 'I Hate Thailand' a big success

webfact

The people infuriated by this video, or rather it's message, don't seem to understand guerilla marketing rolleyes.gif The video in itself is a huge marketing success - over 1,3 million views (hit 1 million in about 2 days) in a really short time. The video was short enough, ending was positive, everyone will feel warm and fuzzy - a definition of a 'feel good'-flick basically. The reaction to the campaign was propably well anticipated (re this whole thread) and thus spiking without TAT logos and official account they made prolly 95% more viewers, than they would've with them, thus the marketing campaign can be deemed success prior to evaluating it's real impact in tourism.

And commenting on the content; yeh - the stone throwing part was so way over the top, that I myself almost turned away from the monitor and started running towards the jungle w00t.gif

How can you call it a marketing success if you dont know the statistics....

such as..

age groups

times

and so on.

Ive met marketing gurus like you many times... always wrong... jumps for joyous glee over a fart.....

On principle i refuse to watch propaganda -

But at a guess , its easy to safely say many so called "'hits"" were people in Thailand .

And as to what nationality , perhaps even Thais , were lured into hitting the view button.

Who knows even instructed to over and over - just to give the appearance of success?

Certainly , it isn't considered viral .

Infact , a million hits for a campaign is not consider "'that successful"' were it even established as creditable "'without market manipulation " and internal factors like social media where 2out of 3 viewers are not even in their target audience.

The view counters are not totally immune to overinflating the stats (bot networks etc.), but certainly have strict preventative measures for this (as it is indeed a revenue stream for some) - repeated non-unique hits will stall the view-counter, while it won't render the video unviewable, it will not count the new "hits" until the issue has been cleared by YouTube with the uploader, and this is per YouTube usage guidelines.

If you consider the earlier material produced by TAT, you can surely agree that the guerilla strategy indeed impacted, and reached hugely larger audience, than any previous online campaigns - now the question lies just in the device as to how it will be perceived. Certainly generated a lot of noise.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FINALLY!!!

"‘unbranding’ advertisement would tend to receive more interest than a conventional branding commercial,”

I hope you understand that now TAT.

That includes news stories about tourist victims.

That means no more "Hub" hype.

Branding is a misunderstood concept in Thailand. Branding is not a panacea for solving or hiding problems.

" But officer, I saw that TAT video where I could stay for two years on an overstay

and teach English. Why are you arresting me ?? "

It is just an unbrand advertisment.

It is NOT real.

Just like the 3 fingers in Hunger Games... just a movie, not real (said Prayuth).

"The video was released by an anonymous YouTube account and bore no indication it was a government-funded production. Almost the moment it appeared, news outlets such as Manager, Matichon, Prachachat and Khaosod reported it as a real news item and urged people to share it."

I have a You Tube video about selling my condo and house and it is based on reality....I'm waiting on all these news outlets now to pick up on it..

"The video was released by an anonymous YouTube account and bore no indication it was a government-funded production. Almost the moment it appeared, news outlets such as Manager, Matichon, Prachachat and Khaosod reported it as a real news item and urged people to share it."

I have a You Tube video about selling my condo and house and it is based on reality....I'm waiting on all these news outlets now to pick up on it..

A survey (cough) says 95% of people found happiness after watching it

A lot of people have watched this - but it could well have a negative effect if and when people realise they have been duped.....Especially after the fiasco on Koh Tao and coupled with other stories or incompetence, corruption and deceit.

it reflects badly on a country when they seem to think it's OK to "trick" people into visiting with this kind of underhanded approach.

Indeed, that's a valid point. Advertising and marketing campaigns in tourism and hospitality rely on creating an image and stimulating a desire. That only works when the image created in some way matches the reality of the product purchased. This campaign, however slick and attractive to a 'new' buyer, fails the test as it bears no relationship whatsoever to reality.

Thailand wants "high quality" repeat visitors. This campaign might appeal to low rent, romantic dreamers but not a high value segment.

Fail.

Plenty Thai views probably all the employees of TAT sitting watching it over and over again sloppy rot and rubbish most tourists will be thinking that the murderers of two tourists are still wandering about in Thailand and where will they strike next better not go to Thailand until it gets rid of the most dangerous holiday destination reputation and all jet skis are banned from Thai waters.

the video is unreal they guy is clearly on a visa on arrival(or tourist visa) and can not work(you can see him teaching).where are now all the TV members who think people like him are criminals?

he will be deported and banned from Thailand

I like this video very much...specially the Thai people.......

But I guess "James" is not the one Thailand needs... "James" a partymaker, working without permission , with nothing exept a blue bag, walking 2 years half naked through the streets...?

Thailand is still a beautiful country if you found the right place to live with the right people and if you are living your live far away from the red light districts, lady bars, hure houses and gambling saloons. All the bad stories daily reported at THAI NEWS headlines happens 90% only in this areas....

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Incredible, that said the Thais who work with me thought it was real. They didn't ask my opinion about it strangely

How could it possibly have been real? Who was supposed to have been filming the guy when he was arguing with a policeman? (A policeman who was trying to HELP him. Ha!) Or throwing a rock at a pick-up truck? Or meeting the girl on a motorcycle? Or are we supposed to believe that somebody just films everything that everyone does - just in case the TAT might want to make a promotional video out of it? If that's the case, why can't they show us the videos from Koh Tao from a certain night a couple of months ago?

I also liked the implication that only a monkey would steal the guy's bag. Probably a Burmese monkey, because surely a Thai monkey wouldn't do something like that.

I know, frightening! The most worrying thing however is that this particular group of Thais are teachers who are all studying at masters level (English Ed) at a number of Bangkok's most famous Universities.

It is clear that they have some serious lack of understanding of how certain Thais in the really touristy regions treat and think about foreigners. It's either that, ignorance, or stupidity at play. Or failing that simply a mixture of all 3

Most comments and replies to this video I have seen on youtube and facebook that are not satirical seems to come from Thais who for some reason believed it was real. Now I'm not suggesting all fell for it, there where many Thai comments about how fake it was, but there where also many comments from both Thais and Westerners pointing out how it didn't matter that it was scripted cause they had all been in similar situations, and they all stressed how there are good and bad people everywhere.

Well Duh! Of course there are good and bad people everywhere! It's called humanity and to think something else is simply racist. But I highly doubt ANYONE has been in such a flawless situation where you can throw rocks at taxis or where hundreds of people go out of their way in the night to look for your bag (not to say where a monkey is the obvious thief of the bag and it is returned with all things intact.

In reality the guy would have had to make sure he get to Phuket or Bkk or wherever his closest consulate/embassy is and get a new temporary passport. Been there done that. After that I would expect him to try and get back home if he was completely black without a baht, not hang around for 2 years...

I know how pointless it is to point out all this, and someone probably already pointed it out, can't say I read all the posts.
I just think exaggerations will never lead to anything good.
A few examples: Reefer madness - tell everyone that they will go completely mental and kill their loved one if they smoke a joint, and people will likely laugh at it and not take it serious. But if you instead tell youngsters that weed probably won't kill you and it's not that big a deal, but it might make you very lazy, and while you think you are being creative you are in fact just laying on the coach eating sweets and watching comedy series... Well at least then it makes sense.

Another very serious example from my point of view is the whole mockingjay sign hysteria. If I was PM I would either do like China and ban the movie completely, no questions asked. Or I would not pay any notice to those making the signs, or even do the signs with them and laugh to not make it into such a big deal.
But by on one hand forbidding people to do the salute, and on the other hand showing the movie and handing out mockingjay symbols if you buy popcorn's, well, that just creates confusion and makes something that most would forget quickly into something big... Just my few scents.

(EDIT- oh, and the video really makes me want to puke out through my eyes and ears. I love Thailand, but that does not mean I find it a complete sunshine story...)

Edited by banglassie
  • Like 1

Time for a reconstruction. I look pretty okay for my 28. Let me stroll around a day at Samed Island and spread the word I do not have money nor do I wear a T-shirt. Can any fellow TVF members make the footage? Let's focus on my nutrition and accommodation apart from the reactions from the Thais over there.

A mate told me the dude in the video runs a guest house on samet......well, he went there last xmas after being warned the island was full and said dude put him in a tent on a patch of concrete where a bungalo had been. At full high season bungalo price. The thai he was with was bleeding him dry at that time....that would have made a more truthful video