First Time Double Entry Tourist visa - Chiang mai - Vientiane Vs Savannakhet

Cyrus2Ray

I would like to explain background info first:

I am an American citizen, and have lived in Chiang Mai for over 2 years consecutively, and here are the details:

1- Arrived on 90 day Non-0 for my first 3 months.

2- Had a Non-O again plus work permit for 2 years

3- My current visa is a 90 day Non-B from Thai consulate in Vientiane, Lao, which expires soon.

So, I want to get a Double Entry Toursit Visa to allow myself enough time to find a more suitable employment.

I have NEVER had a toursut visa before and this will be my FIRST !!

Now, here are my questions:

1- What are my most convenient options and what is is my best option for obtaining a First Time Double Entry Tourist Visa ?

2- I am told that a Doble Entry Tourist Visa can be extended and used up to 180 days ( 1st entry 60 days + 30 day extension ..then exit and re-entry for 60 days + another 30 day extension ..total 180 days ) ....is this true ?? ..where is the best place to go for 2nd exit/re-entry ? what are the costs ?

3- I hear Savannakhet, Lao is a better option compared to Vientiane, true ? if so why ?

4- Are there visa run tour companies that assist with the trip in both cases ? Vientiane and/or Savannakhet ? How do I contact them ?

5- What are the details of the 2 locations in comparison, time, trip ease, cost, etc ??

I have done a lot of research, thaivisa.com forums, Thai Consulate Savannakhet website, etc, but all info is in pieces and scattered, given the fact that rules have been changing on almost daily basis lately,

I want to take a bus in either case. I took bus to Vientiane almost 3 months ago and I am familiar with that process, BUT regarding Savannakhet, I have no idea. I can do the bus trip myself, I have no problem with that.

I need to find current and workable info ASAP please.

Edited by Cyrus2Ray

1- I'd say Savannakhet, same day visa, drop your passport off at the consulate, go to Lin's cafe, very nice person she knows some english, stuff your face with pancakes and their excellent jam, then pick up passport after 3pm. But keep in mind i always drive myself around so maybe ventiane is better if taking public transport

2- Yes but keep in mind you need to activate the 2nd entry before the expiry date of the visa, which is 3 months from date of issue. Mae Sai is the best place to do this, 4 hours there 4 hours back

3- see above, also more people go to Vientiane so longer lines and its not a same day visa ibelieve

1. It's a personal preference thing. Both places will issue you a double visa. Savannakhet would take less time as its a same day process, and there will be less people applying.

2. Yes. Mae Sai, Myanmar. 500 baht or 10 US dollars + bus fare there and back.

3. Same as 1.

4. From here you will have to find your own way there. There are peolpe outside the consulate in Vientianne who will handle the dirty work if you do not wish to wait in line etc.

The rules have never changed regarding the issuing of double entry visa's. Ongoing unhelpful conjecture and speculation confuses people.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure rules or how it works with double entries and extensions but as an American I first had a visa exempt entry on arrival and tried to do a border run yesterday in Mae Sae and they wouldn't allow me to even cross. So I would check to see if you can still use Mae Sae as a good option for extension?