Border crossing Aranyaprathet to Poipet.

Scouse123

Just an update for people who will take the above crossing for the first time as I recently did this month and worried for no reason at all as it is so simple. I was nervous as I had heard and read about Cambodian beggars and touts descending on us like locusts in various online forums which turned out, in my case at least, not to be correct.

Aranyaprathet to me was a lifeless town, at least where we were, and unless you are planning on visiting the big market I found nothing much of interest in the place. We arrived by bus from the North East late afternoon and stayed at one of the border hotels which was OK for one night.

When you arrive at the border crossing there is a two storey immigration building on your left where foreigners are required to go upstairs, (and there are two flights of them), and Thais pass through at a different point at ground level. Any heavy luggage therefore, give your Thai companion if you are travelling with one!!

After clearing immigration you come back out and down the stairs with a walkway leading you to a no man's land between the two immigration points.You then get slightly hassled by men wanting to carry luggage or sort out your Cambodian visas.Please ignore them. You do not need them. The Cambodian immigration is on the far right hand side about 200 metres or so clearly marked. There was a desk before the immigration with four people in uniforms attempting to attract our attention and labelled " Quarantine " and " Health certificates " . It is a scam and just continue walking as there are no health certificates nor Ebola certificates required.

After being given the necesssary forms for Cambodian immigration at the entrance to immigration and filling them out proceed to the officer at the window. Cambodian immigration is not as orderly run nor has the efficiency of the Thai side in my view.People were forever pushing in the queue. As soon as you have received your stamp and collected your passport you exit to your left.This is where the boys are asking to carry your luggage, assist with a taxi, take you on the free bus to get you good transport to Siem Reap. Please ignore them.A polite but firm " No thank you " suffices. There were two buses parked immediately outside at the exit of immigration for this " service " and I was told of people paying all kinds of different prices from $50-$65 USD to get to Siem Reap once they had taken this bargain bus.

We walked a further 50 metres and many young taxi men were parked with Toyota Camry's etc on the right hand side. There is a roundabout if you look immediately to your left and then you know you are at the right place.

I spoke with them and the highest price was $35 and lowest was $25. I agreed to a bigger private car for only the two of us at $30. I was happy paying that. The only problem I had was the driver, after agreeing to take us to the hotel off pub street in the centre of town, he tried to put us in a tuk tuk on the outskirts.The tuk tuk driver at this place then said the price of the tuk tuk would depend on if I was booking a temple tour with him!!

It was raining heavily at this time and I pointed out to my taxi driver that I had no change and also this was not what was agreed at Poipet and showed him a $100 USD, to which of course he had no change. He reluctantly took us into the city of Siem Reap.

The taxis in Siem Reap also were quoting $25-$30 USD for border trips to Poipet. Painless trip to be honest and my concerns were unfounded.

Incidentally, this was the hotel we chose at around 1000 baht with swimming pool and breakfast. It was clean and tidy but nothing in the evening to do around that location.

http://www.hotelscombined.com/Hotel/Tournesol_Boutique_Hotel.htm

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1