Thai Health Ministry imposes bubonic plague preventive measures at ports

webfact

HEALTH WARNING

Public Health Ministry imposes bubonic plague preventive measures at ports

640px-Plague_-buboes.jpg

Image source: wikipedia.org

BANGKOK, 26 Nov 2014 (NNT) – The Ministry of Public Health has adopted surveillance measures at all ports throughout the country following a report of the Black Death in Madagascar.

The Ministry of Public Health has ordered officials in provinces with international ports to sterilize all ships anchoring in Thai ports and get rid of rats on board. Residents in maritime areas have also been urged to keep their houses clean and to stick to the correct methods of waste disposal.

The move came after a report of the Bubonic plague epidemic which has sickened more than 100 and killed 47 people in Madagascar in the past three months.

Bubonic plague, otherwise known as the Black Death, is a flea-born infection that spreads from rats or other rodents to humans and usually causes death. The symptoms of the plague include swellings in the groin, the neck and armpits and elsewhere, high fever, chills, muscle cramps, nausea, seizure and gangrene.

Bubonic plague has reportedly disappeared from Thailand since 1952. The Ministry Public Health has declared the Bubonic plague a dangerous, contagious disease. The disease still exists in some African and Asian countries.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-11-26 footer_n.gif

bbb.jpg

Bubonic plague. Source wikipedia.org

• Like 1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can the Bubonic Plague not be treated by anti-Biotics nowadays?

Is it me or does the young man in the photo on Post #1 have frost bite rather than the plague?

That's what I thought, but...

"Mortality associated with treated cases of bubonic plague is about 1–15%, compared to a mortality of 40–60% in untreated cases."

Mind you I have a swelling in the groin area most times I'm in Thailand so I doubt I'd notice if I had it.

w00t.gif

• Like 1

"Mortality associated with treated cases of bubonic plague is about 1–15%, compared to a mortality of 40–60% in untreated cases."

Mind you I have a swelling in the groin area most times I'm in Thailand so I doubt I'd notice if I had it.

w00t.gif

Looks like frostbite to me too!

Mind you I have a swelling in the groin area most times I'm in Thailand so I doubt I'd notice if I had it. cheesy.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm growing skeptical of these so called "oh my" apparitions. It wasn't long ago, we were all ducking and covering from Ebola, then the big WOW, was Thailand discovers cure for Ebola, yet to be revealed, now it's the Black Plague. Is this a strategy to divert our thinking or just sensationalism? I have my doubts. Best we don't forget medicine resistant Malaria, HIV, Leprosy, are still in the shadows in Thailand. The worse kind of information is disinformation. Keep clean, brothers and sisters.

At least Thais are good at keeping clean. I have to say they are probably some of the most hygienic people on the planet. If I ever smell someone with bad B.O. I can rest assured it's not a Thai. Usually a foreigner.

THAT SAID, I'm not as confident in their food cleanliness!

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Can the Bubonic Plague not be treated by anti-Biotics nowadays?

Is it me or does the young man in the photo on Post #1 have frost bite rather than the plague?

alt=w00t.gif>

That's the start of elephantitis! If you don't want to walk around with your scroat in a wheelbarrow, better get that checked..! :P

Looks like we are going back in time to the Middle Ages,

don't know how Thailand plans to handle rat infested

ships,a lot better than the suspected Ebola carrier that

they let wander around Bangkok,I hope.

Regards Worgeordie

No not really, these days it is not much to worry about at all if you actually go and get medical treatment fairly sharpish. It has been around since the middle ages and there have been cases since, just we have medication to stop wide spread cases nowadays

So do you get it form fleas ?

No, in a first step fleas infect rodents, dogs and cats who give it to humans. Better leave your fur coat at home this winter.

This is completely wrong. Rats carry the disease. Fleas bite the rats and swallow plague-infected blood. The same flea then bites humans and passes the infectious agents to humans through this bite, just like mosquitoes with malaria.

It is directly fleas that infect humans, NOT the host animals!

• Like 2