Thai Post unamused by your 'box-in-box-in-box-in-box-in-box' gag

webfact

4 parcels containing Christmas presents and 4 parcels containing birthday presents were sent from my family in the UK to our 6 year old late last year/early this year. The end result:

1 x parcel arrived

1 x parcel returned to sender in the UK (for no apparent reason)

6 x parcels disappeared

Did the 6 ever get to Thailand, don't know do you ?

The only thing I have ever had lost was a packet of photos sent from Singapore and they disappeared before they got to TL.

Everything else no problems, even a motorbike sent from Hua hin to Singburi.

Correct. I don't know if the 6 made it to Thailand - they were not sent with any kind of track and trace service. I only know that the one returned to sender did make it here... briefly.

So you don't even know if there were mistakes in the address.

Golden rule if you sent something abroad to any country in the world is to use some track and trace service, which isn't that great of a cost, or don't point fingers at someone if something get lost because you don't know who's at fault.

Who's pointing any fingers? Just stating the facts. There were no mistakes in the address of the one that was returned to the UK.

When will Thai businesses and people start to understand it does them more harm to react this way then if they just laugh it off and play along, then simply and calmly restate their message.

And what about politics who should just let anyone say what he wants also ?

These peple are so ridiculous.

Why is it that every incompetent company / public figure ALWAYS runs and hides behind either defamation laws or the computer crime act?

I guess it's sort of like why Thai males attack in groups and usually only fight when they have weapons.

Never mind, I answered my own question.

Seems you are just starting to grasp the essence of Thainess

..........Despite having earned its reputation for damaging, throwing, folding, and totally losing parcels...........

And opening letters and stealing the contents? Rogues and thieves to a man.

That's a bit of a libellious statement.... so every single PO employee is bent ??

Where did he say every PO employee was bent, He is just adding to a fact, don't get so sensitive

I had a parcel sent to my home in Khon kaen province (30 kg.) But due to an error by the postoffice (cleared customs without problems) I received it a month later than supposed too and to make it even worse... had to pick it up myself at a post office in Nongkhai about 220 km. Further down the road.

4 parcels containing Christmas presents and 4 parcels containing birthday presents were sent from my family in the UK to our 6 year old late last year/early this year. The end result:

1 x parcel arrived

6 x parcels disappeared

I waited for 2 parcels from UK, checked at postoffice but no luck - never got it, just gone but got refund from UK-Company. Never gonna get anything send again, too many longfingers

For me Thai post always been good. Bought loads of stuff on ebay it always arrived. I usually gift the postman an JW black label at the end of the year.

Ill keep doing that as long as it goes well.

I think location has a lot to do with it.

Never had a problem receiving items at Phuket Post Office and I get a large package of eBay items about every two months. But I suspect that many of my letters and post cards sent out of Phuket have never gotten out of Thailand as I have never heard back from the recipients. I have learned that if it is important it goes by registered EMS.

Contrary to what seems the consensus here I have ordered over 500 items from ebay (most from the US) shipped to Thailand and not a single parcel was lost.

Most of the ones with a declared value of $50 and more were opened to inspect the contents but nothing was ever stolen, only taxed.

Many sellers on ebay clearly state they will not ship to many african nations, Russia, Ukraine or Italy stating the high level of postal theft.

Since Thailand is not on this list I think Thailand Post must be doing a pretty decent job.

Of course shipping iPhones and other highly sought after stuff via post is risky anywhere unless you use courier services.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

1 x parcel arrived

6 x parcels disappeared

Did the 6 ever get to Thailand, don't know do you ?

The only thing I have ever had lost was a packet of photos sent from Singapore and they disappeared before they got to TL.

Everything else no problems, even a motorbike sent from Hua hin to Singburi.

Correct. I don't know if the 6 made it to Thailand - they were not sent with any kind of track and trace service. I only know that the one returned to sender did make it here... briefly.

So you don't even know if there were mistakes in the address.

Golden rule if you sent something abroad to any country in the world is to use some track and trace service, which isn't that great of a cost, or don't point fingers at someone if something get lost because you don't know who's at fault.

I have to disagree with you on this. I took 4 regular Christmas cards to the post office in Naklua to send to the UK. Not musical cards, nothing inside them, just plain old Christmas cards that I bought in Tops for 25 baht each. "How much to send EMS to the UK" says I to the lady behind the counter. She weighs one and taps a few keys on her keyboard. "950 baht" says she.. I do the maths in my head.... around 250 baht each... I can live with that I'm thinking... but figured I should confirm .. "950 for 4, right?" says I, whilst reaching into my pocket for a thousand baht note. "950 for one", says she, whilst somehow keeping a straight face.

The guy working at the next counter notices the look on my face as I struggle to come to terms with this price, and suggests the lady checks on the price for Express (Nice job by this guy. Thinking laterally. I was impressed). The lady checks and advises that Express is not an option to the UK. "How much for regular air mail?" I enquire. A few more taps on her keyboard and "24 baht" she replies, "each"...

By way of an update, this year I told my family not to bother sending any parcels because the recent success rate of parcels arriving was just too low. However, if they really wanted to give it another shot try should send to my office address where the mail is handled by a different post office and where, to the best of my knowledge, I have never had any problems. So far, 3 out of 3 have arrived safely, so I will congratulate the Thai postal service and the staff at the Naklua branch for doing a great job.

I couldn't be bothered to argue with your defense of the Thai postal service last time, even though the basic laws of probability were pointing to the problem being with the Thai postal service. This year's events have just confirmed that and so I am going to point my finger at the post office opposite Pattaya Floating Market, where there is clearly a problem either with the staff or with the system they are using, and either way they need to sort it out.

And if you think that 950 baht as the cost of "insurance" that mail will arrive is not that great (in this instance around 40 times the value of the contents), then please drop me a line when your car insurance is up for renewal because boy oh boy, do i have a deal for you...

I've had good and bad experiences. kids birthday cards and small presents from Grandparents 6 out of 6 items didn't show up at all from the UK. Had document envelope sent from Australia posted October 18th. Arrived 46 days later.

Phone bill arrives at the house two or three days after the due date same with my credit card statements. Luckily I manage all of that online but for people who do and those that rely on the postal service, well it below average in my opinion.

Edited by Pomthai

Had no problems with Thailand Post. EMS appears to work perfectly. On the other hand (before Trendy) Hong Kong UK Passport Office found it difficult to distinguish between Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Nayok, Nakhon Pathom and Nakhon Nowhere..but with the correct postal code Thai Post got it to the right place. Anyway what about UPS and DHL? You want to use them? Every year some disorganised idiots who can't get to use Royal Mail send these couriered parcels, which always arrive opened, wrapping paper missing and a demand for a 500B 'Delivery Fee'