Torrent-linux-telnet

h90

I have a linux server in europe, is it possible to use a bittorrent client over telnet, than move the finished file and download in europe and send per post (I am on the bad ipstar service)?

Also consider I am an absolut newbie on linux

Sure you can, just use a command-line Bittorrent client like e.g. 'ctorrent' (http://ctorrent.sourceforge.net/)

There are many more, just Google for "Linux command-line Bittorrent client program".

I hope that you really mean SSH (Secure Shell) when you write 'telnet'. Accessing your server over telnet is very unsecure.

Unless it's an unusual installation, your Linux server should accept SSH connections as well. It's basically the same thing, but secure (communication is encrypted). On the client side, you will need a SSH client program.

One of the most widely used ones is PuTTY (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/)

It's free.

You can also copy files back and forth over a SSH connections using another (free) program called WinSCP (http://winscp.net/eng/index.php). It's almost completely identical in its usage to the FTP client programs you're probably used to, except it's secure.

Oh... and I sympathize if you're using iPSTAR.

Hope this helps,

--Lannig

Sure you can, just use a command-line Bittorrent client like e.g. 'ctorrent' (http://ctorrent.sourceforge.net/)

There are many more, just Google for "Linux command-line Bittorrent client program".

I hope that you really mean SSH (Secure Shell) when you write 'telnet'. Accessing your server over telnet is very unsecure.

Unless it's an unusual installation, your Linux server should accept SSH connections as well. It's basically the same thing, but secure (communication is encrypted). On the client side, you will need a SSH client program.

One of the most widely used ones is PuTTY (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/)

It's free.

You can also copy files back and forth over a SSH connections using another (free) program called WinSCP (http://winscp.net/eng/index.php). It's almost completely identical in its usage to the FTP client programs you're probably used to, except it's secure.

Oh... and I sympathize if you're using iPSTAR.

Hope this helps,

--Lannig

did you ever use them? are the command line clients difficult to use/install/montior what is going on?

I know I would find all that info if I google a little bit, but I would prefer first hand experience....

Yes I mean SSH when I write telnet, sorry for the confusion.

Yes IPStar is bad (beside the last 24 hours).

there is a web applocation called torrent flux (google it) you can easily install it on a server and monitor/controll it from a browser on your pc.

Used it in past to download (err legitimate stuff ) via BT.

the problem is if you downloaded pirated stuff (which you shouldnt anyways) you may be cought as the server would most likely have a static IP.

I assume your network connection to this server is pretty bad (ipstar) and you need the download to run for some length of time.

You should learn to use the "screen" utility. Here is the basic magic, read the manpage for more:

% screen -S some-keyword -d -R

this will launch a new screen session named "some-keyword" and give you another shell prompt. run your command-line download from there, and if your connection is broken, the download will keep running undisturbed. When you ssh back into the server again, just run the exact same command above (with the same keyword of your choice) and it will reattach to the same ongoing session so you can see where it is at in its progress.

If you want to go offline intentionally, you can type <ctl>-<a> followed by <d> to "detach". This is the nice clean way to disconnect and get back to the shell where you ran the screen command. You can also just kill off your ssh connection if you get lost or if it freezes due to network problems.

When you are finally finished with your screen session, doing a normal "exit" in its shell prompt will get rid of it, rather than detaching and leaving it running.

I assume your network connection to this server is pretty bad (ipstar) and you need the download to run for some length of time.

You should learn to use the "screen" utility. Here is the basic magic, read the manpage for more:

% screen -S some-keyword -d -R

this will launch a new screen session named "some-keyword" and give you another shell prompt. run your command-line download from there, and if your connection is broken, the download will keep running undisturbed. When you ssh back into the server again, just run the exact same command above (with the same keyword of your choice) and it will reattach to the same ongoing session so you can see where it is at in its progress.

If you want to go offline intentionally, you can type <ctl>-<a> followed by <d> to "detach". This is the nice clean way to disconnect and get back to the shell where you ran the screen command. You can also just kill off your ssh connection if you get lost or if it freezes due to network problems.

When you are finally finished with your screen session, doing a normal "exit" in its shell prompt will get rid of it, rather than detaching and leaving it running.

did I understand you right, if I start a program, like I change a config file with vi and my connection get lost (no not with IPStar that does not happen many times, just every 5 min). of course everything is gone away.

When I use your magic command, it still waits in the "some-keyword" session till I come back and I can log into that session again??

If thats the case you told me something what I need till 1997 and everyone told me it is impossible.

Add: I just tried and I got that

[root@dbv001 ~]# % screen -S some-keyword -d -R

-bash: fg: %: no such job

[root@dbv001 ~]#

what did I do wrong?

Edited by h90

Yes, I am telling you exactly that. :D It will still be there when you ssh in again, unless the machine reboots or you explicitly kill the processes from another shell.

The only problem is that I meant the "%" as just my representation of a unix command prompt, like the "#" in your message. Don't type it, but start with the word "screen"!

Screen is a GNU utility that is often installed by default on more recent Linux systems, but you should also be able to add it easily with the package manager if it is missing.

Also, you might pick a better keyword than "some-keyword", for example "vi" if you want to remember that it will allow you to reattach to your vi session. (You can have many sessions at once, but their session names should be different. It works best if you use session names that are not substrings of one another, e.g. you will run into problems if you say "vi" in one and "vim" in another, but no problem if you say "vi1" and "vi2" since neither can ever match the other...

Have fun with your new resilient sessions. :o

Yes, I am telling you exactly that. :D It will still be there when you ssh in again, unless the machine reboots or you explicitly kill the processes from another shell.

The only problem is that I meant the "%" as just my representation of a unix command prompt, like the "#" in your message. Don't type it, but start with the word "screen"!

Screen is a GNU utility that is often installed by default on more recent Linux systems, but you should also be able to add it easily with the package manager if it is missing.

Also, you might pick a better keyword than "some-keyword", for example "vi" if you want to remember that it will allow you to reattach to your vi session. (You can have many sessions at once, but their session names should be different. It works best if you use session names that are not substrings of one another, e.g. you will run into problems if you say "vi" in one and "vim" in another, but no problem if you say "vi1" and "vi2" since neither can ever match the other...

Have fun with your new resilient sessions. :o

works perfect.

tried a session, run top, take out the network cable to simulate the normal ipstar service.

loged in again and top was still there.

just I was not sure, when top is running and refreshing every few seconds if it runs all the changes at once when I log in? Difficult to tell with the IPStar service, but it looked like that to me.

No, it only stores the last "screenful" or so, plus any scrollback buffer if you use that feature.

I often used it to run "yum update" on a remote Fedora server over GPRS modem, where too much text prints out with status bars etc. I would do this:

% screen -S yum -d -R

% sleep 5 ; yum update -y

and hit <ctl>-<a> <d> to detach (before the 5 seconds of sleep had finished)

when I re-attached later, it would show the end of the yum output, after all of the expensive and "noisy" download and install progress barse were finished. much much less information was sent to my screen, which suited me since it would be a large amount of useless output just to tell me things were OK. I only needed to see if there was an abnormal exit and error message at the end...