Thai South: Many paid off in fuel scam

webfact

Many paid off in fuel scam
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- IT IS NOT only the police who have taken bribes from petrol smugglers in the far South - Army units, customs officials and civilian agents have benefited from the lucrative illicit business for years, according to intelligence reports acquired by high-ranking security authorities.

Those running the contraband petrol trade were paying tens of millions of baht each month to corrupt officials and included an influential Pattani-based businessman on the run, a local politician in Narathiwat's Tak Bai district and a Pattani-based businessman who owns two companies, the reports said.

Also among them were the owner of a tanker ship and the owners of two companies based in the Malaysian state of Kelantan.

The reports have been received by defence and security authorities and National Council for Peace and Order.

Additional information has been based on the confessions of the subordinates of former Marine Police commander Maj-General Bunseub Phraithuen, who was arrested together with former Central Investigation Bureau chief Lt-General Pongpat Chayaphan in the ongoing high-profile corruption scandal.

But direct links between the petrol trade and insurgency in the far South have not been firmly established, although suppression of the reciprocal venture needs drastic and complete action if concrete evidence were found, a security source said.

Individuals on the petrol-trade side include a cooperative in one of the three southernmost provinces, a businessman in Narathiwat and a network of drug dealers, according to the reports.

The trade also includes a number of their relatives and associates, one of them a man in uniform once based in Pattani.

The reports detail the logistics of the petrol-smuggling operation, including the locations of tankers that dock either to unload the cargo or to take it out to sea along the Gulf of Thailand from Phetchaburi to Narathiwat.

Certain locations are given - areas not far from Koh Samui and Phang Nga off Surat Thani, Bang Saphan district in Prachuap Khiri Khan and mid-sea rendezvous off Songkhla, Nakhon Si Thammarat or further north in Prachuap Khiri Khan. Other areas are off Rayong and Trat.

The operation also involved a large number of fishing trawlers modified to carry 30,000-200,000 litres of contraband petrol, which was smuggled from a neighbouring country at half the price.

These trawlers offloaded the cargo near the shore and tanker trucks then distributed the petrol to service stations throughout the Southern region.

Corrupt officials included those operating checkpoints who turned a blind eye to these trucks and those involved in

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Many-paid-off-in-fuel-scam-30248740.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-28

When you see these billions, a much better question would be, where do the trillions go?

The trillions of profit for the price difference between the "real price" and the inflated one we pay on the gasoline station.

So be cause of the large scale this happened, I wonder what oils companies are involved?

I seriously doubt this oil was just sold om the streets...

Good point. Surely PTT must be aware that something untoward was going on? Billions of litres of fuel are involved - hardly a drop in the ocean. I would hate to be the one to investigate and explain all this - there are going to be certain barriers which cannot be crossed under any circumstances because of where the probe might lead to and who it might touch. That's very dangerous ground.

And you thought Thaksin's bunch were corrupt!

Part of the culture, unlikely to change. As soon as those in high places start coming under scrutiny because of their association with "the money" then it will stumble to a halt. Too many of those pointing the finger will be involved in their own deals, and you can bet their "opposition" will have their own fingers to point.

But maybe. just maybe, something positive will happen. But I doubt it.

Part of the culture, unlikely to change. As soon as those in high places start coming under scrutiny because of their association with "the money" then it will stumble to a halt. Too many of those pointing the finger will be involved in their own deals, and you can bet their "opposition" will have their own fingers to point.

You sure Thaksin and his bunch are not involved? Maybe even the mother of (this) corruption?

• Like 1

whats the point of your first line....???? their all at it ...

You sure Thaksin and his bunch are not involved? Maybe even the mother of (this) corruption?

You do know there was corruption before Thaksin?

Wasn't Thaksin a Lt Col in the Thai police force at one time and his former wife is the daughter of a police general?

Last time I did a border run, a couple of years back now, we bought cheap gas (great price) from an 'unofficial vendor', was located very openly right next to a large official building owned by an especially big nationwide uniformed organisation. Right next to the gates - no way they were unaware, if not (which I suspect) much more..

Nope, was not the police - close though whistling.gif

Also well aware of a drop off point as mentioned in the article from a few years back - was common knowledge in the area, especially among Thais.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Next up:

1) The drug trade.

2) Trafficking in people and slavery.

We shall see...

I dont think the lawmakers can handle any more crime investigations.........they've got a major handfull here .....bring in big men in drugs and it'll be chaos!!........

Wasn't Thaksin a Lt Col in the Thai police force at one time and his former wife is the daughter of a police general?

And your point is?