Need Some Help Finding My Ideal Place......

cjnst2

...................to LIVE! ....atleast for awhile.

Ok. Many of you have been very helpful to me so far. Here is my story in a nutshell. Feel free to skip down to things I'm looking for if you want.

I'm a 26 year old male US citizen. I grew up and lived in the northeastern part of the United States all of my life. Went to school for mathematics and finance but after school I found a different path. I have been financially supporting myself for the last 4 years while living with two life long friends in an apartment in the United States. Recently I've decided to use my financial freedom to travel to world. Many of my friends had suggested Thailand and I decided to make it a go. I've read books about Thailand but nothing prepares you for the real thing. So far I've stayed three days in Bangkok and althought I've found many things I like about the city it really isn't where I want to settle. It's a bit too congested for me. Here are somethings I'm looking for......

My BUDGET is 30K or less baht per month for housing and utilities. Atleast while I'm starting out here.

(1) I need a reliable high-speed internet connection. This is very important to me and probably my number one priority as I want to continue to support myself while in Thailand. This is vital.

(2) I prefer the beach but from what I hear many of the island and beaches down south have sub par internet. I'd also prefer a Serviced apartment or atleast one with furniture and appliances already in it.

(3) I'm the outdoor type and love to run. It was almost a daily ritual for me in the United States at one point. If possible I'm looking for a place where I can strap on my running shoes and take a 10 mile run without getting hit by a car.

(4) I'd prefer a place where English is well spoken throughout the area. It isn't too bad in Bangkok right now but I don't adjust well at first to change and I'm having a hard time adjusting to language gap. Haven't met any farangs yet either. A place where a lot of farangs are would make my transition a lot easier. Don't know if there are farangs that play basketball(do they even have this in thailand) or watch Sunday NFL football but I wouldn't mind finding a place that offered things like this.

(5) I don't mind the hedonistic side of certain areas but I'd prefer not to live in the center of it all.

I can't think of much else. Basically I'd like a little part of America with me while I'm here in Thailand. I'm not asking Thailand to change for me but to just make my transition a bit easier.

So far I'm considering a treck up north to Chiang Mai. Does this fit my profile at all from those that have been there?

Considering staying at the ......www.viangbuamansion-chiangmai.com....Some on this board have recommended this service apartment and it has most everything I need. Anyway, sorry if this is too long but I'd appreciate any information you all can give me.

i would say phuket, for me thats where I want to go and is eveything you have asked for in your post, Im sure you can get a good internet provider down there.

I would agree that Phuket would probably be your best bet. Not sure that you'd be able to run 10 miles without getting hit by a car though.

Internet isn't bad here from certain providers and is probably equally as good as any that I have had in BKK.

Somewhere like Rawai or Nai Harn in the south would probably suit you. Nice beaches, plenty of other farangs around and a reasonable choice of restaurant and bars.

Personally I prefer the north of the island where I live but that may be a lot quieter than you would wish for.

Internet isn't bad here from certain providers and is probably equally as good as any that I have had in BKK.

Mustard, would you care to name the good ISPs?

cheers :o

Maybe he wants to keep it a secret because everyone might want to switch over and then it will become slower or there servers may crash

Mustard, would you care to name the good ISPs?

cheers :o

Maybe he wants to keep it a secret because everyone might want to switch over and then it will become slower or there servers may crash

I would never be that mean and selfish :D

We have a leased line with fibre optic connection through KSC.

Quite pricey though.

Thanks Colonel and everyone else. Would like to know more about this internet connection. What's pricey? $50, $100 per month? The internet is very important to me as I said in the above post. Would I be able to have this installed in a service or other apartment complex in Phuket if needed? Not sure if you meant that normal ISPs were ok or just your service. I am assuming KSC is your ISP. Let me know more if possible

Also, Does anyone know of any good service apartments or hotels in Phuket to lay my head? I'd like to settle down somewhere for atleast a month and get my feet wet. Atleast until I find my ideal place in Phuket or elsewhere. Let me know. Thanks.

Quite pricey though.

Thanks Colonel and everyone else. Would like to know more about this internet connection. What's pricey? $50, $100 per month? The internet is very important to me as I said in the above post. Would I be able to have this installed in a service or other apartment complex in Phuket if needed? Not sure if you meant that normal ISPs were ok or just your service. I am assuming KSC is your ISP. Let me know more if possible

Also, Does anyone know of any good service apartments or hotels in Phuket to lay my head? I'd like to settle down somewhere for atleast a month and get my feet wet. Atleast until I find my ideal place in Phuket or elsewhere. Let me know. Thanks.

We pay around 18,000 baht per month but I am informed that there are cheaper alternatives that are probably ok. I also have IP Star and haven't had any problems with that but I have heard complaints from others.

KSC is the ISP and they sorrted the leased line out.

Not sure if there are any serviced appartments in Phuket but if there are I would guess they would have ADSL internet connection already. Plenty of hotels around with internet and you can usually get a reasonable rate if you're staying for a month. I have my own place here so I don't use hotels in Phuket much so I can't be of much use in making any recommendations.

Quite a few places that fit most of your criteria to an extent. I'd say Phuket, Chiang Mai (no beach thought) or Hua Hin. Living on 30k per month can be a struggle in a tourist area though, you definitely won't be going out every night.

Quite a few places that fit most of your criteria to an extent. I'd say Phuket, Chiang Mai (no beach thought) or Hua Hin. Living on 30k per month can be a struggle in a tourist area though, you definitely won't be going out every night.

If I read his original post correctly, I think the 30K was just for housing and utilities which should be doable. Hua Hin is a decent shout for his requirements.

if language is a big issue for the OP ... then Singapore would probably be better.

That being said .. Phuket is great. You can get internet pretty fast .. if you are smart you can find great places to rent pretty cheap ... There are scads of long term residents/expats all over the province etc etc

LOL! I get a kick out the replies telling me to move to Hawaii, etc. I've only been here 3 days and actually like most of everything I've experienced so far. Bangkok just doesn't seem like the place for me long term. By long term I mean more than a couple of weeks. As for the language problem.....well!...I haven't experienced much of a problem here in Bangkok. Most thais speak decent English with a few exceptions. I've had one or two cab drivers that didn't speak fluent English and maybe a couple of other street vendors but this should be expected, right? I guess I was just looking to get away from the busy city but not necessarilly to an area where people only speak thai.

By the way. I would LIKE to spend 30,000 baht or less on housing but I have the income to pay a lot more if needed. Just seems with all the nice places I've seen for prices under 30,000 baht in Thailand that I could get a similar price in a tourist town for about 30k.

The most important issue for me is a reliable and preferably fast internet connection. I know this may sound like a shallow issue to most but it is vital to my business and I wont be able to afford to live anywhere long time without it.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Feel free to send me some more. I'll appreciate all the help I can get.

If It's that great, why are you awaiting bashers? YFM! BUT, cjnst2, the Philippines have all you're asking for, and you can almost pick you own Island, and 30K there will go longer there than anywhere I know, and everyone speaks English and all the AmeicanTVstations are there as well, as

Edited by SamuiJens

Quite pricey though.

In an effort to speed up my Internet connection, I took your advice and tried to get the same thing here in Sriracha, but the #$&@! girl at the service counter at KFC kept insisting they don't have that... :D:D All she offered was a stupid kid's toy if I bought a lunch there.... :o

Quite pricey though.

In an effort to speed up my Internet connection, I took your advice and tried to get the same thing here in Sriracha, but the #$&@! girl at the service counter at KFC kept insisting they don't have that... :D:D All she offered was a stupid kid's toy if I bought a lunch there.... :o

I can put you in touch with the people we dealt with in Phuket if you wish. They may (or may not) be able to put you in touch with the appropriate people in your area. I'm sure if you can get it in Phuket, you must be able to get it elsewhere.

You said you want to travel the world, right? Well that's what you should do and THEN decide where you want to put your feet up. You can take those little things that bother you after three days anywhere and multiply them 100 fold then you might get an idea of adjusting as an ex-pat. And don't forget the potential feelings of loneliness, isolation, confusion, regret, homesickness, etc., etc., etc..... Nothing you know from back in the States will be the same in Asia, why would it and why should it? I suggest you adjust your thinking a bit, otherwise stick with National Geo. Cheers.

Edited by dccnbr