Petrol price why so high

i claudius

Wow! 61? w00t.gif I never thought you were THAT old? tongue.png You got me there by a few years. I was just a nursing baby in swaddling clothes that year, but I can remember a few years later specifically as they gave away little plastic cars (model T's and model A's) at the Hess station on the corner my mother always bought from and people say I'm crazy but I'm not, the gas price was between .22 and .25 per gallon..

Boy those Hess gas stations were clean!

I picked up a load of diesel from a Hess transfer station once and it was spectacular!

• Like 2

Diesel fuel was 13 baht a liter in 2004 and today its 28 baht a liter. If memory seves it peaked about 40 baht during this same time frame.

Oil price has moved from about 30 dollar a bbl to close to 150 dollar per bbl.during the same peroid, The 30 dollar may be somewhat off but these figures are to the best of my memory. Today oil is about 65 dollar a bbl.

I can remember 15 cents us for a gallon of gasoline (only 1 kind) in the early 1950's. lpg was 3 cents a gallon and natural gas was flared/burned as there were no sales lines to market it. Drip gasoline in the oil field was free for the taking just had to add a quart of oil to every 10 gallon. hamburgers were 12 for a dollar and going out for a lunch cost about 50 cents,. wages were 5 to 10 dollar a day for labor plus meal allowance if you found a good paying job.

Times were thought to be good as everyone who wanted work had it, no one thought about being poor as everyone was in the same financial shape (except for the fat cats) and they would not stoop to our level, much less our hangouts.

The govt. and PTT are pocketing the difference. At $4.50 to $5 a gallon, no one can convince me fuel is being subsidized. Quite the opposite. A lot of profit is being made. 95 should be about 20 baht per liter with Brent at under $70.

That was one thing I took into serious consideration before moving back, people saying how cheap it is/was to live there and it just didn't add up for me at the time gasoline was in the numbers you posted and now it is 2.70 per gallon here and still dropping almost daily. That is one major consumable that along with several others adds up very quickly.. We may be looking at only about .60 to .75 per gallon more than it was when I first left for Thailand 11 years ago in the 2.40 to 2.50 range the way prices are predicted to fall, but back then it was about 1.75 per gallon. It seems the Saudi's don't like how much oil were producing in the shale fields and wants to shut down some of the smaller competition so this may go on for quite a while hopefully. I feel like there is also a behind the scenes deal to break the Ruskies before they get any more cheeky, both the US and the Middle east can handle the drop in prices better then the Ruskies but at any rate they are predicting as low as maybe $45 per barrel in the coming months, I'll be one happy camper if that happens?

How much is your car insurance...how about car repairs (I saw an hourly labor rate of $150 per hour at one US dealer recently), how much is your rent or mortgage, how much is your property tax, how much are your "entertainment" expenses if you're not married? All these things and many more too quickly add up as well. No place is perfect and it's getting expensive to live just about anywhere, but I hardly think the price of petrol should be the determining factor in choosing one's country of residence.

Wow! 61? w00t.gif I never thought you were THAT old? tongue.png You got me there by a few years. I was just a nursing baby in swaddling clothes that year, but I can remember a few years later specifically as they gave away little plastic cars (model T's and model A's) at the Hess station on the corner my mother always bought from and people say I'm crazy but I'm not, the gas price was between .22 and .25 per gallon..

Boy those Hess gas stations were clean!

I picked up a load of diesel from a Hess transfer station once and it was spectacular!

Yeah they were, it was a big part of their attraction besides good gas prices but I just realized I posted that wrong as it was CITGO that had the special edition of collector cars and was on that corner, didn't have too many of the Hess car and truck and collection, they weren't free sad.png . Funny actually as I think about it at that time filling stations were popping up like mushrooms it was the dawn of the age and most of them were new and the big thrill was to follow the spot lights to a new grand opening and get free hot dogs and other toys they were giving away biggrin.png .

Edited by WarpSpeed

slapout , what is drip gasoline , and when was LPG in use in the US . Thanks.

I don't think he means LP for cars we had a huge tank for our house as did many of our neighbors, some neighborhoods had natural and even more do now, but Lp is still also more widely used as well overall both fuels have gotten real popular around these parts when it never was so much before..

Edited by WarpSpeed

The govt. and PTT are pocketing the difference. At $4.50 to $5 a gallon, no one can convince me fuel is being subsidized. Quite the opposite. A lot of profit is being made. 95 should be about 20 baht per liter with Brent at under $70.

That was one thing I took into serious consideration before moving back, people saying how cheap it is/was to live there and it just didn't add up for me at the time gasoline was in the numbers you posted and now it is 2.70 per gallon here and still dropping almost daily. That is one major consumable that along with several others adds up very quickly.. We may be looking at only about .60 to .75 per gallon more than it was when I first left for Thailand 11 years ago in the 2.40 to 2.50 range the way prices are predicted to fall, but back then it was about 1.75 per gallon. It seems the Saudi's don't like how much oil were producing in the shale fields and wants to shut down some of the smaller competition so this may go on for quite a while hopefully. I feel like there is also a behind the scenes deal to break the Ruskies before they get any more cheeky, both the US and the Middle east can handle the drop in prices better then the Ruskies but at any rate they are predicting as low as maybe $45 per barrel in the coming months, I'll be one happy camper if that happens?

How much is your car insurance...how about car repairs (I saw an hourly labor rate of $150 per hour at one US dealer recently), how much is your rent or mortgage, how much is your property tax, how much are your "entertainment" expenses if you're not married? All these things and many more too quickly add up as well. No place is perfect and it's getting expensive to live just about anywhere, but I hardly think the price of petrol should be the determining factor in choosing one's country of residence.

First off, consider that you can't even buy a host of the vehicle options there that is available here..I'd never use a dealer anywhere if at all possible to avoid, they gouge you on everything and there are far too many equally or even more so qualified shops outside of dealerships for the average folks to use so that's a terrible example. Having said that I do my own car repairs I don't trust ANY mechanics and I'm certain none of them do it with the care and professionalism that I do and then I'd still have to pay them, if you read the very beginning of my post it clearly reads that it never added up for "ME" meaning it may add up for someone else (though not likely when you do the real math and consider choices, unless maybe you compare with Ca. which again isn't relative to me nor much of the country as it's so far off the cost of everything scale to be sensible) but in reality it doesn't because car repairs aren't daily consumables.

Car insurance is just one small part of a monthly budget and no that is not more expensive for what I get either, I get much better coverage but at this point, since I have a very good driving record with no incidents in over 25 years I pay only $114 per month for 2 cars, one is an older VW GTI Vr6 '99' so I don't have comprehensive on it, just liability uninsured and so on, another point is the choices of coverage too BTW here many, there very few and basic and not covering cars very old etc. My 04 Mazda RX8 has comprehensive as it's financed, you'll also note that both are sports cars that if you could even find in Thailand (not possible in the case of the VW) and in the case of the Rx8 would cost you so much, insurance would be the least of your concerns. The cost would pay for years worth of insurance back here which also makes it much better to live here, and if me or my family were more seriously injured there would be a price paid for the irresponsibility of the other driver that may at least consider the value of a precious life lost not how you and your family's life are valued there. I have NO restrictions on my internet or other information because the government allows ADULTS to make their own mind up about what they wish to view, we don't have coups every few years and so on, infrastructure is better maintained.

If my gas is so much cheaper it far offsets the insurance price as I'm filling at least once a week and the cars are so much cheaper for a REAL car, I can pay years of insurance and still not pay what you would have too there even IF you could find them? RX8 yes but astronomically priced, VW GTI VR6 not even available... FYI even my electric bill is comparable at about the equivalent of 4000 baht per month as an average, and the rent is also comparable but not considering I get much more house with a 2 car garage and automatic garage door opener for about the equivalent of 25,000b per month (seldom if ever even see an enclosed garage there, which I never understood either). Nope it doesn't add up, the cost of living here compared to what you get far outweighs what the same will buy there and then factor in the better emergency services, cleaner roads, safer water, better weather etc. etc. doesn't measure up.. This may all be different for Euro countries like Britain for example but not for living state side which is why so few here tend to relocate permanently there. Even most of them have a better social medical policy which is why so many return when they have medical issues ours is terrible but it is still not an everyday cost to be evaluated as part of the entire daily package of living expenses.

Can you even buy most of these there? If you could how much would it cost? For me that option is almost priceless but certainly it is a high consideration to have some reasonable choices at better then reasonable prices.

01313_lXzZk0ftfBu_600x450.jpg

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4789964717.html

00q0q_7ixUW1RBviC_300x300.jpg

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4771777914.html

00i0i_cCbNaVnJJHw_600x450.jpg

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4788773470.html

01616_1fdkCxx68TM_600x450.jpg

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4786910117.html

Too many to list, saw a 2008 Cayman for sale the other day for $20,000.. The only problem here is not having enough money to buy every one you could own so you have to choose sad.png ..

Or how about a Mazda Rx8....

00b0b_bBTWzwp0lH0_600x450.jpg

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4784401550.html

Nope, no comparison to a new vanilla Toyota or Honda whatever or god forbid, pick up truck "because the roads are too crap" of equal or more cost over there..

Edited by WarpSpeed

slapout , what is drip gasoline , and when was LPG in use in the US . ThanksDRIP IS

Drip is the liquid that is produced along with the natural gas in a gas well. It is collected in traps at the well site and was used as a substitue for gasoline. It required no refining process, just add some oil to give lubracation. I doubt it would be compatabile with todays gas burning engines

LPG was used to heat the rural farm houses, burned in tractors as replacment for gasoline. every farm had a high pressure tank for storage of lpg and one on wheels which could be moved from field to field to supply tractor fuel.

Diesel was untried for the most part as most farmers did not understand injectors, etc, the lpg coversion from gas was inexpensive and did not reqire any more maintance/knowledge than gas engine.

First off, consider that you can't even buy a host of the vehicle options there that is available here..I'd never use a dealer anywhere if at all possible to avoid, they gouge you on everything and there are far too many equally or even more so qualified shops outside of dealerships for the average folks to use so that's a terrible example. Having said that I do my own car repairs I don't trust ANY mechanics and I'm certain none of them do it with the care and professionalism that I do and then I'd still have to pay them, if you read the very beginning of my post it clearly reads that it never added up for "ME" meaning it may add up for someone else (though not likely when you do the real math and consider choices, unless maybe you compare with Ca. which again isn't relative to me nor much of the country as it's so far off the cost of everything scale to be sensible) but in reality it doesn't because car repairs aren't daily consumables.

Car insurance is just one small part of a monthly budget and no that is not more expensive for what I get either, I get much better coverage but at this point, since I have a very good driving record with no incidents in over 25 years I pay only $114 per month for 2 cars, one is an older VW GTI Vr6 '99' so I don't have comprehensive on it, just liability uninsured and so on, another point is the choices of coverage too BTW here many, there very few and basic and not covering cars very old etc. My 04 Mazda RX8 has comprehensive as it's financed, you'll also note that both are sports cars that if you could even find in Thailand (not possible in the case of the VW) and in the case of the Rx8 would cost you so much, insurance would be the least of your concerns. The cost would pay for years worth of insurance back here which also makes it much better to live here, and if me or my family were more seriously injured there would be a price paid for the irresponsibility of the other driver that may at least consider the value of a precious life lost not how you and your family's life are valued there. I have NO restrictions on my internet or other information because the government allows ADULTS to make their own mind up about what they wish to view, we don't have coups every few years and so on, infrastructure is better maintained.

If my gas is so much cheaper it far offsets the insurance price as I'm filling at least once a week and the cars are so much cheaper for a REAL car, I can pay years of insurance and still not pay what you would have too there even IF you could find them? RX8 yes but astronomically priced, VW GTI VR6 not even available... FYI even my electric bill is comparable at about the equivalent of 4000 baht per month as an average, and the rent is also comparable but not considering I get much more house with a 2 car garage and automatic garage door opener for about the equivalent of 25,000b per month (seldom if ever even see an enclosed garage there, which I never understood either). Nope it doesn't add up, the cost of living here compared to what you get far outweighs what the same will buy there and then factor in the better emergency services, cleaner roads, safer water, better weather etc. etc. doesn't measure up.. This may all be different for Euro countries like Britain for example but not for living state side which is why so few here tend to relocate permanently there. Even most of them have a better social medical policy which is why so many return when they have medical issues ours is terrible but it is still not an everyday cost to be evaluated as part of the entire daily package of living expenses.

Can you even buy most of these there? If you could how much would it cost? For me that option is almost priceless but certainly it is a high consideration to have some reasonable choices at better then reasonable prices.

Too many to list, saw a 2008 Cayman for sale the other day for $20,000.. The only problem here is not having enough money to buy every one you could own so you have to choose sad.png ..

Nope, no comparison to a new vanilla Toyota or Honda whatever or god forbid, pick up truck "because the roads are too crap" of equal or more cost over there..

I'm not really sure what your point is? You were discussing the price of petrol in the States and you go off on a discussion of the range of vehicles available for purchase there vs. Thailand. I would agree that if one wanted some of the keenest pricing and a vast selection then you're much better off Stateside than Thailand. The selection and price of cars sucks in Thailand, no doubt about it. At least annual road tax in Thailand is dirt cheap compared to many states in the States.

Prices for many things in Thailand are expensive because of tax issues, relatively small size markets for good expatriates are want to buy, and the many cartels and monopoly or quasi-monopolies for many goods and services. (I don't even think these are illegal, as I'm unaware of LOS have any anti-trust legislation). It humors me that at least once a year, there is some shortage of some common commodity, be it sugar one year, rice another, and then cooking oil (I'm sure toilet paper is up next). Then, mysteriously a few months later supplies magically reappear on store shelves and all is well. I'm sure these are mostly manufacturers or distributors just colluding to withhold supplies from the market to induce a temporary price and profit hike. However, like I said, these may not even be illegal in Thailand.

If having the broadest selection of goods and services for cheap money, it is hard to beat the good ol'e USofA.

PS: While we're discussing cars not on offer in LOS, can you pick me up a Tesla S P85D with dual chargers, air-suspension, and tech package and ship it over to me here smile.png

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

How much is your car insurance...

My car insurance 900bht/year (about $3 a month)

That doesn't sound like real car insurance, more likely it's the governments mandatory insurance policy.

+1.

That pays next to nothing in case of an accident

• Like 1

That doesn't sound like real car insurance, more likely it's the governments mandatory insurance policy.

+1.

That pays next to nothing in case of an accident

And ? ???

Could leave you with a lot of bills to pay

Edited by MJCM

My car isn't worth very much, I can just buy another rust heap.

Good for you but what for the other people involved into an accident, god forbid you kill someone, first you would have to comeg up with the Bail bond (around 200k or more) which your insurance will not pay. Etc etcetcetcetcetc

• Like 1

Good for you but what for the other people involved into an accident, god forbid you kill someone, first you would have to comeg up with the Bail bond (around 200k or more) which your insurance will not pay. Etc etcetcetcetcetc

95% of road users have nothing beyond government ins.

If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Apparently a lot of Thais don't have even that, or a DL, or road tax.

Nonsense, but feel free to provide a reliable web link to support your figure of 95%.

• Like 1

As you say, it works in the US...if you have no assets or income stream (now or in the future) then your pretty much judgment proof (but still liable for any criminal negligence). In Thailand you could end up in jail for just being civilly liable (unable to pay a judgement) as what many Westerners would consider civil matters can be pursued by private parties in the criminal courts.

I'm not really sure what your point is? You were discussing the price of petrol in the States and you go off on a discussion of the range of vehicles available for purchase there vs. Thailand. I would agree that if one wanted some of the keenest pricing and a vast selection then you're much better off Stateside than Thailand. The selection and price of cars sucks in Thailand, no doubt about it. At least annual road tax in Thailand is dirt cheap compared to many states in the States.

Prices for many things in Thailand are expensive because of tax issues, relatively small size markets for good expatriates are want to buy, and the many cartels and monopoly or quasi-monopolies for many goods and services. (I don't even think these are illegal, as I'm unaware of LOS have any anti-trust legislation). It humors me that at least once a year, there is some shortage of some common commodity, be it sugar one year, rice another, and then cooking oil (I'm sure toilet paper is up next). Then, mysteriously a few months later supplies magically reappear on store shelves and all is well. I'm sure these are mostly manufacturers or distributors just colluding to withhold supplies from the market to induce a temporary price and profit hike. However, like I said, these may not even be illegal in Thailand.

If having the broadest selection of goods and services for cheap money, it is hard to beat the good ol'e USofA.

PS: While we're discussing cars not on offer in LOS, can you pick me up a Tesla S P85D with dual chargers, air-suspension, and tech package and ship it over to me here smile.png

Sorry you missed a perfectly clear point that seems to happen a lot on here. You asked questions designed to argue a point which were not being fully considered so I spelled it for you in clear detail, unfortunately even with a concise explanation you still missed the point, so I'm done..

Ermm your math sucks! It's over $3 per 100 baht but maybe that's why you think it's so much cheaper over there?

Edited by WarpSpeed

900 Baht is about £17 47 , or $28.80. Isnt that just $2.40 / $2.50 per month ?. Slightly less than $118 / 3558 Baht per month . Dealer labor rate here in England is £120 per hour (plus tax). Petrol is about $1 per gallon cheaper in the US than Thailand. Its over $10 per English gallon here !!.

Uhm he said it was 900b and the topic was per month, so if that's the case then his math is incorrect, and anyway you get nothing for that amount of insurance. The exchange rate is about 32b per dollar so that's about $28 per month not $3 if we're speaking of monthly, but I see now where he meant annual but the coverage is not comparable, given what's provided, one needs to compare apples to apples..But yes the gasoline is much cheaper here and that in and of itself without all of the other perks makes it as cheap or cheaper to live here and some things can't be measured in dollars or baht. it's even cheaper then that, it was that cheap when I first came back, now I filled up the other day it was 1.60 per gallon and it seems the price drops before you drive out of the station these days almost making you regret you didn't wait another 5 minutes. BTW one also must remember that the insurance prices I quoted are for sports cars and for 2 cars not one and I have uninsured motorist, and on and on..

I can get a basic PIP policy similar to the government insurance there for about $30 per month, but like there, I'm screwed if I get into an accident even worse and God forbid if there are serious human injuries and forget about the vehicle, though here where I live we have no fault which is also another reason to carry more on your own policy for your own protection, anyone who carries minimum required there is really asking for big trouble especially being an expat and expressing "it's good enough for them, so it's good enough for me" type of thinking..

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

Yes , i wondered if it made sense as monthly , not yearly. Still cheap . The basic insurance one gets with the tax (in Thailand) is very miniumal .Insurance in England seems cheap in some cases . Two of my cars for example ;Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 petrol - 16,320 Baht ($512) ; Bentley Turbo RT - 18360 Baht , ($576). These are fully comp. It may help , im 49 !. Dont ask about the petrol bill , Ive owned the Bentley for 8 or 9 years.

Sorry just noticed I made a big boo boo, in my post above, the gas price is 2.60 last time I filled up not 1.60 hopes are high though the way it's been dropping, it may be at least where it was when I left here 11 years ago around 1.75, that'd be a hoot, thank you Mr. Putin.