Pope Francis: Muslim leaders should condemn terrorism

webfact

(BBC) Pope Francis has urged Muslim leaders around the world to condemn terrorism carried out in the name of Islam.

Speaking on board a flight back to Rome, the Pope said that he understood the harm caused by the stereotype that linked Islam with terrorism.

He said a "global condemnation" of the violence would help the majority of Muslims dispel this stereotype.

Pope Francis was returning from a three-day visit to Turkey, where he discussed divisions between faiths.

The pontiff denounced people who say that "all Muslims are terrorists".

"As we cannot say that all Christians are fundamentalists," he said.

In Istanbul, Pope Francis called for an end to the persecution of Christians in the Middle East.

In a joint declaration, the Pope and Patriarch Bartholomew I said they could not resign themselves to a "Middle East without Christians".

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30265996

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-12-01

• Like 1

I do not recall any of his predecessors condemning the IRA

All Catholics together!

You do here of the odd condemnation from the odd mullah, but I think most of them who disagree with what their sick brethren are doing keep quiet for fear of seeing their body from a platter.

Edited by daveAustin
  • Like 1

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

Not going to happen is it.Hypercritical in the extreme. I do not recall any of his predecessors condemning the IRA

Dose your comment mean that you condone the Muslims terrorist action by saying that if no one

has condemned the IRA than no one should condemn other terrorist groups?

IRA was pretty much localised issue, UK only, while the numerous other Muslim terrorist

groups are worldwide pandemic problem, no one is safe from their merciless destruction

and cowardly carnage, children, mothers and the elderly, at home, at school at mosques

and churches, how on earth can you compere them to what the IRA did?

it would have been easier for the Pope to condemn a Localised issue surely , than it going to be for Imam's to condemn a world wide Jihad

I do recall them attempting to blow up a parade in Gibraltar and attacked at army bases in Germany

The Muslim Jihad as it is now become started as Sunni and Shia rivalries then throw Israel into the mix along with constant western interference in their affairs and its gone world wide. We (The west) have given them a cause to fight for. I dont agree/condone anything they do but this Jihad hasn't just occurred for no reason.

I suggest you look up Pat Condell on U-tube, there you will perhaps begin to understand why Islam is held in contempt worldwide. I agree that the IRA should have been condemned by the Catholic church, different Pope/politics then, not so much social media/internet communication so not an internationally known problem.

If the leaders of the Islamic world were to stand up and reject the Islamic terrorists that are destroying the name of all Moslems, and then join together to rid their religion of this cancer, and the PC apologist pricks in the west were purged and a concerted effort was made to rid the world of the supporters and participants of this evil , then perhaps Islam could regain it's standing as the 'religion of peace'. I won't hold my breathe though, it would be like trying to rid Thailand of corruption.

• Like 2

I do not recall any of his predecessors condemning the IRA

All Catholics together!

You do here of the odd condemnation from the odd mullah, but I think most of them who disagree with what their sick brethren are doing keep quiet for fear of seeing their body from a platter.

Precisely. As I have said before, it's about time that the worlds "Moderate Muslims" got off their backsides and took to the streets to protest against the maniacs who bring the Muslim world into disrepute. All I've ever seen in the UK is the Muslim demonstrations encouraging the killing of "Non Believers". The problem is that it takes a lot of 'Balls' to do this as, the radicals will probably come after you; so the silence is deafening, but en-mass it would have some significant impact. I live in hope !

The fact that the muslim leaders keep quiet about the extremists speaks volumes to me.

They finally spoke up about the English volunteer worker after several journalists got beheaded. Their words were carefully chosen to be specific that this man did not deserve it. The elephant in that room was the direct implication that they considered everyone else DID deserve it.

The world keeps quite because one wrong word means 3 or 4 non-muslims will get murdered somewhere by these brainwashed fanatics.

The longer we leave this pot brewing, the bigger the mess at the end when it all boils over.

• Like 2

Not going to happen is it.Hypercritical in the extreme. I do not recall any of his predecessors condemning the IRA

That's a dumb comment! IRA is a political group, not a religious group. They were killing for a political cause, not religious reasons. The Church of England condemned their actions many times.

• Like 2

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

Dose your comment mean that you condone the Muslims terrorist action by saying that if no one

IRA was pretty much localised issue, UK only, while the numerous other Muslim terrorist

groups are worldwide pandemic problem, no one is safe from their merciless destruction

and cowardly carnage, children, mothers and the elderly, at home, at school at mosques

it would have been easier for the Pope to condemn a Localised issue surely , than it going to be for Imam's to condemn a world wide Jihad

I do recall them attempting to blow up a parade in Gibraltar and attacked at army bases in Germany

The Muslim Jihad as it is now become started as Sunni and Shia rivalries then throw Israel into the mix along with constant western interference in their affairs and its gone world wide. We (The west) have given them a cause to fight for. I dont agree/condone anything they do but this Jihad hasn't just occurred for no reason

Terrorism is what it is - Terrorism. Full stop.

Both comments above require correction.

IRA, ETA, Baader Meinhof, Black September, Brigada Rossa, PLO, Hamas and many other groups - all not religiously linked yet any one can be described as local issue. The World is the 'locality'.

On the other hand Muslim Jihad didn't start overnight rather about 1,300 years ago. It was, is and looks like will be Religiously generated.

We (the West) were, are and it looks like will be the constant cause to fight for by the fact of our existence. There is no other reason.

The only correct solution to prevent Muslim Terrorism is Isolationism as an alternative to Tolerance, Multiculturalism and free Migration.

Cultural, Economic and Political cooperation with Muslims worked fine for centuries after the Crusade Wars era.

Military solution was, is and will be futile. The only beneficiaries are arms producers in any country.

Any "Democracy", "Liberalism", "Multiculturalism" or whatever cover name they choose for their desire for flares of conflicts around the globe are against peace and interests of all people of all Religions/Cultures.

IMHO without abandoning the wrong 'idea du jour' there will be no peace in any place on Earth.

Today's Pope is not better, smarter or more peaceful than a long line of his predecessors. His voice is however well meaning - just a 'cry in the wilderness'.

Unless the West wakes up to understanding the reality our children will be praying at the Mosque 'Notre Dame de Paris' or the Mosque of 'St. Peter' in Rome.

Edited by ABCer
  • Like 2

Non-terrorist Muslims are complicit in the terrorists war against humanity by not taking a stance against them...trying to rid their countries of terrorist and refusing to fund or house them...

To be fair...they should join world forces to eradicate this evil from the face of the earth...

By standing on the sidelines...they encourage the continuation of the carnage...

Take time out of the equation and Muslims are no different from the Christians with their religious crusades.. Around 500 years of Catholics using force to impose their belief upon others cannot be forgotten

What makes the Muslims appear more babaric is today's technology. Does anyone think that the religous landscape would be the same today if the Vatican of the middle ages had been nuclear armed at the time they were arranging deployment of the latest technology against Islamic forces.

Please don't interpret this as support for the Islamists, I am simply making an unbiased observation, I despise all religions with equal vigour.

• Like 2

The Muslim Jihad as it is now become started as Sunni and Shia rivalries then throw Israel into the mix along with constant western interference in their affairs and its gone world wide. We (The west) have given them a cause to fight for. I dont agree/condone anything they do but this Jihad hasn't just occurred for no reason

There is no place for a modern Pope to insinuate the Papacy into local politics. That ship sailed long ago and it serves no national interest, nor Catholicism to inject papal politics willy nilly. What is happening with regard to jihad has a palpable threat to civilization itself; this is clearly a global- catholic=universal- issue!

"The muslim jihad as it is now become started as sunni and shia" is just not accurate, or complete. The "jihad" most surely has not just started. The shia search for supremacy has not just started. The "current," third great jihad, could be argued to have started some hundreds of years ago. It is true that sunni/shia conflict runs deep- central even- but the shia are hardly the first targets. The first targets are sunni leaders. The second tier of targets would be blasphemers/Shia, and lastly, the third is the great and lesser satan (Trends in International Terrorism).

Israel has hardly been [just] thrown into the mix; the jews have been a target of the muslims for ages; 1400 years! A significant cornerstone of shar'ia is predicated upon "people of the book," and this is long before 1947. The assertion that the west has given "them" cause to fight is absurd, and offends reason. Indeed, even a cursory knowledge or islam beyond the mouthpieces in the media clearly reveals that irrespective of the west's meddling in every corner of the world jihad was always coming; its mapped into the very structure of their ideology. More people have been killed by islamic jihad than any other institutions or people in all history. Nearly 100,000,000 alone are suspected of being slaughtered just in the second jihad alone into the subcontinent.

The presumption that jihad does not occur for no reason is correct. The conclusion that jihad somehow occurs because the West brought it upon themselves is so much echoing the self loathing of the west as complicit for every wrong. The reason that jihad takes place is because the entire koran is constructed as both a map of events that unfolded in Mecca Medina Mecca 1400 years ago and the manner in which their persecution turned to power, then to slaughter and debauchery and how this permanently sealed record (the koran and Hadith) exist as a road map to move Islam from the House of War to finally the House of Peace (dar al harb to dar al salam) when Islam takes over the entire planet. The idea that the cause of jihad is a modern convention flies in the face of nearly one hundred and fifty million dead by the previous two islamic jihads!

The Pope is a target of IS/jihadis. Recent chatter confirms this. The choice to respond is provocative, and I applaud the Vatican. This is surely a moment in time the Vatican cannot again remain silent. Moreover, contrary to the topical reporting of the media in the west Christianity is being systematically wiped out in unprecedented numbers, not seen since before Constantine.

• Like 2

The fact that the muslim leaders keep quiet about the extremists speaks volumes to me.

They finally spoke up about the English volunteer worker after several journalists got beheaded. Their words were carefully chosen to be specific that this man did not deserve it. The elephant in that room was the direct implication that they considered everyone else DID deserve it.

The world keeps quite because one wrong word means 3 or 4 non-muslims will get murdered somewhere by these brainwashed fanatics.

The longer we leave this pot brewing, the bigger the mess at the end when it all boils over.

Did any Jewish leaders in Israel condemn the IDF for killing 2000 civilians in Gaza this year . I don't agree with anything Jihaists or Holy warriors are and will do, but we seem to have a very one eyed view in the West

Actually they did, there was a lot of condemnation from religious (and government ministers) leaders in Israel, but of course the media don't show that as it put's their love of Hamas and a news story out of balance)

The biggest problem is the Muslims have no "leader". It's all localised. Catholics have the Pope, Jews would look at Rabbi Ferber (RIP) as a leader, Buddhists have the Dalai Lama but Islam has no central leader to hold things together. Nobody who can tell ISIL they're out of order for example/ This is the main issue with the extremes of Islam. And also the Pope is correct, the local imams should speakup

This has been going on since islam under mohammed was installed in the world order. This on going jihad has occured because of mo's idiocy

• Like 1

This has been going on since islam under mohammed was installed in the world order. This on going jihad has occured because of mo's idiocy

Yes I understand it is as old as the crusades and before. However in recent History there has not been a significant blow again the west until 9/11 , So where/why did that come from ?

And yet one man saddam had all that sorted on his own, one man

The biggest problem is the Muslims have no "leader". It's all localised. Catholics have the Pope, Jews would look at Rabbi Ferber (RIP) as a leader, Buddhists have the Dalai Lama but Islam has no central leader to hold things together. Nobody who can tell ISIL they're out of order for example/ This is the main issue with the extremes of Islam. And also the Pope is correct, the local imams should speak up

Alwyn,-

But the Muslims DO HAVE A LEADER! The fact he is dead for centuries does not matter.

The Pope is wrong, - many Imams not only speak up but take active part in educating/recruiting new Jihadists and Martyrs from their childhood.

Unless the West is prepared to give these Imams and their pupils the ISIS/ISIL treatment - the only alternative is Isolationism!

There is simply no other way.

It was working perfectly for Centuries. Abandoning it as a blanket policy thanks to "progressive liberalism" has brought us into this mess in a short span of about 30 years.

I would send these liberals experimenting with our lives to any of the 54 - 56 Muslim Countries to preach their ideas there.

• Like 2

It is about time a major leader has stood up, and made a statement like this. It is the responsibility of Muslim leaders, politicians, and mullahs to criticize, and condemn the extremists. Especially the ISIS serial rapist, murdering punks, who are only out to have a good time, at the expense of young girls, and families that get in their way. These leaders should speak out, and explain that the misdeeds of the insect punks, have nothing to do with Islam. Nothing. It is all about legitimizing their misbehavior. One cannot go into a village, kill at random, and cherry pick the youngest and prettiest girls in the village, kidnap them, sell them, and use them for ones own pleasure, and claim that those actions are legitimate. So, they use the name of Islam, to try to make a claim of legitimacy. Most of us realize that is pure BS. But, the Muslim leaders need to say so. Otherwise, the entire name of Islam is destined for the kind of reputation it is slowly, but surely establishing. For those of us who insist that the vast majority of Muslim men and women are good, hard working, honest people, without bad intentions, it is becoming harder and harder to maintain that argument, when so few in a position to do so, are speaking out against the super freaks. They have a responsibility to all of mankind to be courageous, and say what needs to be said.

• Like 1

Yes they should. But they don't.

Even if they did condemn it verbally, in writing, publicly - who would believe them?

Only those who do not know Koran... Actions speak louder...

Yes I understand it is as old as the crusades and before. However in recent History there has not been a significant blow again the west until 9/11 , So where/why did that come from ?

The crusades were a result of 400 years of brutal conquest and theft of lands, churches, forced conversions, beheadings, and oppression. When the Christians left the Levant following what consider the last crusade the muslim conquest continued unabated nevertheless, continually encroaching into central Asia, subcontinent, and Eurasia. Terrible, brutal, unimaginable horrors were committed daily that far exceeded a dozen 9/11. It wasnt until the pivotal siege of Vienna a few hundred years ago that the modern expansion of islam was temporarily halted.

There has, over the train of time, been only pauses. This is an optical illusion due to your brief time here on earth, looking at history, and life, and when noticing islamic horrors declaring "where has this come from? It has been so quiet." This would be wrong. Islam only rested when the hegemony of the Ottoman Empire, their slothfullness and excess, and their fear of defeat caused a disagreeable rest in conquest and enslavement of the world. Many muslims wholly disagreed with this and this bread whabbism. In essence, islamic conquest rested less than 100 years in 1400 years. From the late 17th century siege of Vienna to the early 18th century early wahhabi movement there was only a pause.

We know where it comes from. Why? Why is inherent in the ideology component of the faith and the means by which the life of their prophet requires not only adoration but emulation. The prophets days were marked by overcoming minority status to a major war power and then acting that power on all around him into oblivion. Immediately drunk with power, success, and the mandate of god, they began an incredible expansion immediately in the 7th century and it has continued ever since. If one really wants to know where this came from look to the horizon of history- it has been apparent all along.

• Like 1