Dumbells

ollylama

I have been looking for hand weights too, I only need two 7kg and two 3kg for Rushfit, priced from BigC @ 2,800b!!

Robinson Dept at Airport plaza was cheaper but still pricey.

I know the stationary store and need to go to town today, so will check it out. Thanks!

The price should work out roughly 90 baht a kilo, 2 places to try are a shop on the left side of Mahidol rd going from the south west corner of the moat to Airport plaza ( near all the orange sellers) approx 400 meters from the moat, another is in Prapokkloa rd in town, go past the Un bar on your right, take the second right and its about 80-100 mtrs on the left, small shop with a Muay Thai sign but does all sports equipment and school uniforms etc.

Just back from the stationary shop next to the UN pub - metal dumbells from 1kg - 10kg works out to be 112b per.kg

They had two adjustable handsets with 4/bells-total 12kg @107b per.kg.

I bought what I needed just to get on with what Im doing.....90b per.kg is most likely the bottom end price,maybe some dusty hole in Chinatown cheaper.

Cheers

Sportsworld in Promenade has a nice set in a case.

It had 2 handles (screw type)

with 15-20kg (forget exactly) of weights & you can buy additional weight plates of course.

Price...I think...was 2900 baht

Not bad as quality looked good & came in a case like

many tools in the US...You know the hard black plastic cases?

I imagine Sportsworld in Kad Suan Kaew Shopping Center has the same deal

Looked just like this

20kg-Chrome-Dumbbell-Set-MY-D020-.jpg

Edited by mania

Just saw this thread and thought I would pop in.

I have a set of weights I am getting ready to post for sale on CL and other places. Bought them right before I got a gym membership. Never used them. If any of you is interested, I thought I would give you first crack at it.

Looks like the one above with the same 2 handles and 4 spin-on locks. No case though.

Plates are:

4 x 5kg

4 x 2.5kg

4 x 2kg

4 x 1.25kg

43kg in total.

I'll be asking 2,500 baht.

David

Just back from the stationary shop next to the UN pub - metal dumbells from 1kg - 10kg works out to be 112b per.kg

They had two adjustable handsets with 4/bells-total 12kg @107b per.kg.

I bought what I needed just to get on with what Im doing.....90b per.kg is most likely the bottom end price,maybe some dusty hole in Chinatown cheaper.

Cheers

A. If you read the post I said "roughly 90 baht a kilo"

B. So why does it make it a dusty hole just because it is probably cheaper than where your them buying from ?

Perhaps if you wasn't buying dumbells from a stationers you'd find them cheaper elsewear !

Edited by alfieconn

Congrats OllyLama, thats a good buy!

After pricing hand weights from various places around town Im concluding that 90b per.kg is below average,thus a good retail price. If you have ever been to Chinatown and poked around the old shops back in the sois,they are in fact dusty holes in the wall and often have the most eclectic arrays of merchandise piled-up,usually with rock bottom prices attached,if diligent enough one may find 'dusty' dumbells amongst the offerings.

AND...the stationary shop of which it is well known for ALSO has another floor that carries sports equipment,musical instruments,drafting supplies and kids props & aids for learning generally sold to school groups,so prices are reasonable for the quality offered.

Does that make things clearer,Sunshine?.....these days you have to explain everything,geeze!

Edited by FrankOff

Congrats OllyLama, thats a good buy!

After pricing hand weights from various places around town Im concluding that 90b per.kg is below average,thus a good retail price. If you have ever been to Chinatown and poked around the old shops back in the sois,they are in fact dusty holes in the wall and often have the most eclectic arrays of merchandise piled-up,usually with rock bottom prices attached,if diligent enough one may find 'dusty' dumbells amongst the offerings.

AND...the stationary shop of which it is well known for ALSO has another floor that carries sports equipment,musical instruments,drafting supplies and kids props & aids for learning generally sold to school groups,so prices are reasonable for the quality offered.

Does that make things clearer,Sunshine?.....these days you have to explain everything,geeze!

You seem to have trouble reading, iv'e now posted twice that it was roughly 90 baht a kilo !!

Edited by alfieconn

Like most anything else you may want of quality, weights and accessories are generally way over priced.

As it was already said, Sportsworld in KSK has them. Same with Sportsworld in Airport Plaza and Festival.

Like most anything else you may want of quality, weights and accessories are generally way over priced.

As it was already said, Sportsworld in KSK has them. Same with Sportsworld in Airport Plaza and Festival.

I do not think Airport has a Sportsworld does it?

I know KSK, Promenade & Festival does though.

Have another look, it has been there for years.

Really? I am surprised as I like Sports World but never noticed one in Airport Mall

It is a full size one like at those other malls?

Will look next time as I often find good deals on shoes & swimming things there

Edit : I just checked the Central directory & yes no Sportsworld in Airport

Does have a much smaller sports type place called Sports Town

Which I have been in but just a few clothing & shoes etc.

949056112.JPG

Edited by mania

Inside and a part of Robinsons, 3rd or 4th floor, maybe why you haven't seen it

• Like 1

Could be a different name, but they have a sports store. I thought it was a Sports World but I may be wrong. That said, I have not been there in a year now with Maya and Festival closer to me, so it's possible it isn't there anymore.

If I'm not mistaken, Robisons also has some weights and various sports equipment. Not much, but they may have some dumbells.

For those of you who are short term visitors (2 weeks to 10 years wink.png ) or just don't want to buy overpriced bells. Your local supermarket has some free dumbbells.

You buy at least 2 6 liter bottles. Enjoy the water then fill them with tap water. They each weigh nearly 6 KG. Even though they have a usable handle, I recommend you get 4 or 5 free shopping bags per bottle and use them to hold your dumbbells. Hold two bags together in one hand and you got 12KG.

If you live anywhere near a construction site, you can fill them with sand. I don't know how much each liter would weigh?

Edited by vagabond48

Inside and a part of Robinsons, 3rd or 4th floor, maybe why you haven't seen it

Ahhh ok & I have been there & come to think of it ...it is very sportworld like...

Never thought of it as I just assumed Robinson is Robinson but could be stores within a store