Bangkok - Kanchanaburi

~G~

Yes it still departs from Thonburi Station, two trains a day one early morning the other early afternoon. The fare for Farang is now 100 baht as opposed to 25 baht, this changed in December of 2005. I think the journey time is about 3 hours or so.

NO it departs NOT from the OLD Thonburi Station, since some 2 yrs, but from a point beside that heavily struggled for market some 300/400 mrs further on, in fact even the RAILS (those funny iron things) hav been disconnected!and yes, ANY farang will need to pay the 100 bt fare now for the MORNING train. take the us, much quicker and cheaper

Er.. I didn't say it departed from the "old Thonburi Station".

I use the train frequently and any transport I've ever used to get to Thonburi has always dropped me at the regular, operational station. Oh. and I agree, the bus is quicker, but I guess the OP already knows that and perhaps prefers the train.

depends ... if you are going up the hills past Muang Kan ... it's a tourist train and 100 baht! If however you are getting off in town it is about 44 baht.

3rd class .. non-air .. no assigned seating ... and wooden benches ...!

You can get on a bus and get there faster from Sai Tai Mai ... or a minivan ... faster and not much more expensive.. but WAY more comfy

depends ... if you are going up the hills past Muang Kan ... it's a tourist train and 100 baht! If however you are getting off in town it is about 44 baht.

3rd class .. non-air .. no assigned seating ... and wooden benches ...!

You can get on a bus and get there faster from Sai Tai Mai ... or a minivan ... faster and not much more expensive.. but WAY more comfy

Sorry jdinasia, the only fare to kan or beyond or before is 100 baht. You do get a little booklet to read.

I find the bus more comfortable than the minivans. They are 'mini'.