Seafood Restaurant Scam

cricketer

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A timely warning OP as I will be in BKK in 10 days. Anybody recommend a seafood buffet hotel/restaurant place around the Silom area?

Look at them crab legs (no relation):

http://www.sofitel-bangkok-sukhumvit.com/en/voila.html

... diners can enjoy highlights such as a fresh seafood on ice with prized Fine de Claire oysters, Alaskan king crab, razor clams, assorted prawns, rock lobster, green lipped New Zealand mussels, and more. There are also delicious appetizers of Ricard gravlax, house-smoked salmon, Royal Project smoked trout and tuna tartare.

Thanks but looking for evening dinner unfortunately wai.gif

Dinner Buffet

6:00 pm - 10:30 pm

I thnk he's confusing the word scam with expensive.

No he isn't. That was an obvious scam. If they weren't scamming they would both put the weight policy in LARGE print, not tiny print and if they were decent they would be sure to verbally inform customers as well.

What percentage of their customers would stay for dinner if they knew the real price? I doubt very many.

For that price you could probably eat multiple times at the best restaurants in Bangkok, and it's obvious a scam operation like that isn't one of them.

Is it not industry standard for seafood to be quoted by weight?

Also, clearly this is a very high end joint. They would never advise their customer that stuff is priced per kilo, as this would risk offending their hiso customers who like to portray that they don't care how much they spend.

Where the hell are these posters coming from that defend this place?

This is NOT a high so joint. It a dump that gets 100% of their customers from tuk tuk and taxi drivers and trick lost tourists in to going there. They then proceed to charge 10 times the normal price without informing you add on all kinds of ridiculous surcharges. They lie about the prices, they will tell you one price but when the bill comes it will be many times higher.

No Thai person would ever go to it because it a ****hole that exists solely to rob tourists who are fresh off the plane and don't know what they are doing.

No one on earth recomends this place, no one ever goes back.

The idea that it is a 'hi so' restaurant and their lack of prices is to avoid offending their rich clientele is literally one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this board.

200 1 star reviews

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d1675970-Reviews-Somboondee_Seafood_Restaurant-Bangkok.html

It is a clip joint that preys on naive tourists, by having a name similar to a famous non scam restaurant and by employing 'friendly' touts and tuk tuk drivers to bring lost tourists to the restaurant.

Wholy crap! Didn't see OP had said it was that place. Scam for sure!!!

No he isn't. That was an obvious scam. If they weren't scamming they would both put the weight policy in LARGE print, not tiny print and if they were decent they would be sure to verbally inform customers as well.

What percentage of their customers would stay for dinner if they knew the real price? I doubt very many.

For that price you could probably eat multiple times at the best restaurants in Bangkok, and it's obvious a scam operation like that isn't one of them.

Also, clearly this is a very high end joint. They would never advise their customer that stuff is priced per kilo, as this would risk offending their hiso customers who like to portray that they don't care how much they spend.

Depends on where you are in the world... Most places in the world I have visited, you order a dish that has an advertised price... It's only been in SEA where I have found seafood prices changed by the gram on menus...

It's actually funny reading the posters that are trying, but failing, to defend this place.

What next? Defending the cigarette butts police? The pigeon feeder scam? The 'temple closed today' scammers?

...or Thailand Elite.

This is NOT a high so joint. It a dump that gets 100% of their customers from tuk tuk and taxi drivers and trick lost tourists in to going there. They then proceed to charge 10 times the normal price without informing you add on all kinds of ridiculous surcharges. They lie about the prices, they will tell you one price but when the bill comes it will be many times higher.

No Thai person would ever go to it because it a ****hole that exists solely to rob tourists who are fresh off the plane and don't know what they are doing.

No one on earth recomends this place, no one ever goes back.

The idea that it is a 'hi so' restaurant and their lack of prices is to avoid offending their rich clientele is literally one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this board.

200 1 star reviews

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d1675970-Reviews-Somboondee_Seafood_Restaurant-Bangkok.html

It is a clip joint that preys on naive tourists, by having a name similar to a famous non scam restaurant and by employing 'friendly' touts and tuk tuk drivers to bring lost tourists to the restaurant.

Love the first review-

At first me and my family decided to go Chinatown have seafood for dinner, we were told by the tuktuk driver claimed that Chinatown is closed.

200 1 star reviews

If anyone ever doubted the usefulness of Trip Adviser, please read these reviews.