Phuket MTB'ing Rides & Adventures

Gforcejunkypkt

I did several searches on TV's Phuket forum and couldn't really find any threads actually dedicated to good MTB'ing places on the island (mostly some posts about rentals/tours/bike shops).

Of course there are some good groups like Phuket MTB Hash Harriers or local Thai MTB clubs who I'm sure know cool places, but what about those of us who aren't really into the group riding thing and prefer doing it alone or maybe with just a like-minded mate or two? So I've started this thread for anyone interested to contribute with words, photos or videos, good places to ride (off-road of course, and the grittier, dirtier the better thumbsup.gif

Or tell/show us about any fun adventures (or crazy/weird mishaps:) you may have had while MTB'ing in Phuket. I'll post about a place I like (esp. as it's not so far from my house and I can just ride there), and hope others will likewise share their experiences/knowledge as you please -- ride on!

Ride here before it's gone.....

Haven't done any reasonably hard riding like this for a while -- my MTB usually sits lonely by itself while I often opt for the less strenuous route of riding motorcycles -- but just couldn't resist when I found this MTB race course -- being set up by Phuket MTB'ing Club for a race the next day near Prince of Songkhla University on the 4010 road. The guys were nice enough to let me have a go, and while it was the most tired I've been in a while, it did remind me how fun MTB'ing is, so for sure will try to get out more!
Half-way through the approx. 8 km course on a blazing hot day, I was exhausted and breathing like a steam locomotive; 3/4 the way through I was puking...but I was determined to finish what turned out to be a quite technical course (though there are different levels marked out by yellow, blue and red arrows).
Unfortunately this great little riding place will probably be paved over in the next year or two for a latex selling shop or the like catering to busloads of Chinese sheeple...While Phuket actually still has quite a bit of jungle left, it's disappearing at a sad rate, so enjoy it while you can!
*Best Viewed in 1080p or 720p speaker-cranked HD*

Edited by Gforcejunkypkt

Thx for contributing @Damaz6052 and yep I bet Thalang does still have lots of places given pace of development has been a bit slower out that way compared to other areas, not to mention the national park there -- is riding allowed in such parks? Have you done any biking around Bang Pei or Tonsai waterfalls?

My main issue is that I have 4 big bikes but no car/truck so not easy to transport my MTB to farther places, but where there's a will, there's a way as they say, got a buddy into MTB'ing out that way, if we hook up will try and get in touch with you via PM. Likewise if you'd like to ride down this way drop me a message. In the meantime I'll also check out MTBP's FB page.

Edited by Gforcejunkypkt

i ride my mountain bike to Nai Harn most mornings but would like to do some trail riding sometimes, but in the south, not interested in Talang at all. if anyonw knows some good trails but not too hard and would like to share, i'm all ears

Hey Steve, if you're free over the next few days PM me, this is my slow time of year work-wise, we can meet up to talk rock climbing and then either go for a climb (still need to free that crack of thorns!) or for a ride at the place in the video above (about 10-15 min. ride from my place), which has both easy and semi-hard sections (when passing by 2 days ago the tape and course arrow signs were still up).

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/3/2014 at 0:47 AM, Gforcejunkypkt said:

Ride here before it's gone.....

Unfortunately this great little riding place will probably be paved over in the next year or two for a latex selling shop or the like catering to busloads of Chinese sheeple...While Phuket actually still has quite a bit of jungle left, it's disappearing at a sad rate, so enjoy it while you can!
*Best Viewed in 1080p or 720p speaker-cranked HD* 

Well it's gone now... :(

MTB course gone now 2.jpg

Edited by Gforcejunkypkt

On Sunday, February 22, 2015 at 0:56 AM, Gforcejunkypkt said:

Fun is...wherever you can find it...

[media]http://youtu.be/idapV6a5_Ms[/media]

*Best watched in 1080p HD*

I'm curious as to where that place is. Looks like a "Land and Houses" type moo baan. Can you say?