Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Laptop not recognising server

johnnort

I have just been traveling extensively and on attempting to hook up to hotel wifi systems I found on occasions that it was not possible. It happened once in the UK, returning home to Thailand I could not connect to my home wifi, OK in Malaysia but not in Bali. All within the space of three weeks. The laptop was connecting but I was getting a message that read something like Windows does not recognise Network or Server. Going through the diagnostics I found the problem noted as being no IP Address. This, even on my home TOT system that I have never had a problem with before. Why should this be happening? There was never a problem connecting with my Android mobile, except that in Tethering mode, at each place the laptop could not connect fully, it also could not tether to my mobile. At other places tethering worked just fine. At home, TOT sorted the problem without visiting; presumably resetting something their end.

I run Windows 7 as the OS on my laptop but understand I can bypass this somehow to connect to wifi! Could somebody explain how please.

Since WiFi works sometimes but not others, it probably isn't an issue with TCP/IP settings.

The first thing I would try is updating the wireless adapter drivers. To do that you need to first identify what brand of Wireless card is installed in your notebook by looking in device manager which you can find in control panel.

If it is an Intel card, they have a web based utility that will identify the precise model and offer you the appropriate drivers. Others you may need to search for and download manually.

Thanks Thedemon. Tried what you suggested but the three adapters, wireless LAN card, ethernet controller and virtual wifi miniport adapter, under the heading of network adapters, all had the current up to date drivers. Any other tips or ideas please?

Silly, but the wifi switch/key/button may be off.

Also unplug the router and plug it back in after 30 seconds.

Right click on your wifi icon and troubleshoot problems....it should tell you something like "Cannot connect to DNS servers, or obtaining IP"

if that fails....manually input your router network name and password on Network Sharing Center (rightclick icon). First delete the present one and then manually enter the name and password....

It may be you are trying to connect using improper security. WPA or WPA2 ..... I had that problem once.

I found that some hotels may advertise wifi, but do not deliver. You see the signal, and sign in, but afterwards, they go online and set up the router to block MAC numbers other than the ones they want to use. (they do not want to share bandwidth). Easily done, by them. If you see the router type, you could go somewhere else and go to that router setup and configure to allow you access (your MAC number). Most of the time, the default password (for router configuration) is the default one for that router. Few people change it. Not anything to do with password and id to go online.

Edited by slipperylobster

Apologies Thedemon,

This is what I replied to your posted question but looking below at the mail I received from the TV Postmaster the forum did not receive it. I was not ignoring you! Incidentally I am without proper TOT internet as their server is down, another issue all together. I am using a tethered connection on a different system.

Thedemon,

802.11n Wireless LAN Card

Ralink Technology, Corp.

version 5.0.24.0

file version 5.00.24.0000 built by WINDDK

driver date 02/04/2013

Thats all I have I believe. Hope it is useful.

Hello,
We have receved your email. This email address is unattended.

Please re-send your email to support[at]
thaivisa.com and we will get
back to you soon.

Kind regards,
Thaivisa Postmaster

Slipperylobster, my home system has been sorted now by TOT at their server. I cannot do anything about the routers used by hotels, where the main problem exists as I am far from home, and by using the diagnostics, or right clicking icon told me there was no IP address, but thanks anyway.

PS. This reply may also have been delayed through no fault of my own.

Slipperylobster, my home system has been sorted now by TOT at their server. I cannot do anything about the routers used by hotels, where the main problem exists as I am far from home, and by using the diagnostics, or right clicking icon told me there was no IP address, but thanks anyway.

PS. This reply may also have been delayed through no fault of my own.

You might consider to try a "TENDA Wireless USB adapter, which you could even use with a up to a 5 meter USB cable.

This USB stick with an antenna is pretty cheap, around 350 baht and might be the solution to your problems.

Good luck.

Apologies Thedemon,

This is what I replied to your posted question but looking below at the mail I received from the TV Postmaster the forum did not receive it. I was not ignoring you! Incidentally I am without proper TOT internet as their server is down, another issue all together. I am using a tethered connection on a different system.

Thedemon,

802.11n Wireless LAN Card

Ralink Technology, Corp.

version 5.0.24.0

file version 5.00.24.0000 built by WINDDK

driver date 02/04/2013

Thats all I have I believe. Hope it is useful.

Hello,

We have receved your email. This email address is unattended.

Please re-send your email to support[at]thaivisa.com and we will get

back to you soon.

Kind regards,

Thaivisa Postmaster

There is a newer driver available from Mediatek, the manufacturer of your wireless card. It is V5.0.46.0 (dated 15/0414) versus your presently installed V5.0.24.0 (dated 02/04/13).

Here is a link to their driver page: http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads/?sort=os (third from the bottom of the page)

Direct link to that driver is: http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads/pciert2790rt309xrt35x2rt539xrt3290mt7630/

Firstly, I have attempted to download the driver update, Thedemon, unsuccessfully at the moment, but will persevere by trying other sites. The normal way by pressing update driver under Network Adapters just tells me I have the latest.I will not be able to report back once installed as I will have to wait until the travel bug hits once more and try hotel wifi.

Secondly, Lostinissan, it wont hurt trying an external adapter both in the usb slot and then on the end of a length of cable. I will buy one and give it a go. While in France, my house has very thick walls and the only way a 3G Aicard modem works is by using a 3 meter long usb cable. Not an iota of a signal by directly attaching to the laptop. This method must increase the signal reception.

Kindest regards to all.