Not just curry and chips , tried it yet?

i claudius

We gave it a try ,fish nice batter on fish very nice ,curry sauce nice ,pickled eggs ,horrible , and the chips ,why frozen? real chips are made with fresh potatoes the service was good as well ,but untill the chips improve ,sorry.,

Which shop did you use, there are 3 of them. Two somewhere around Jomtien and the third in Soi Khaonoi in East Pattaya. I tried the Khaonoi one and it was the same, frozen chips that tasted like they had been cooked in the oven. I had a pie with them so that may very well have been the case. They don't seem very busy and unless they start frying proper chips I don't see it getting any better!

Which shop did you use, there are 3 of them. Two somewhere around Jomtien and the third in Soi Khaonoi in East Pattaya. I tried the Khaonoi one and it was the same, frozen chips that tasted like they had been cooked in the oven. I had a pie with them so that may very well have been the case. They don't seem very busy and unless they start frying proper chips I don't see it getting any better!

yep thats the one ,and your dead right about the chips ,everything else was ok ,the pickled eggs ,is just the Thai vinegar not that good.

Don't agree that the frozen chips are that bad at all.

Eaten at two branches and they are as good as anywhere else using frozen and thats most places.

Thailand doesn't produce a good chipping potato so where are these quality fresh chips going to come from?

Apparently he is trying fresh chips at the Pratumnak branch at the moment as a trial.Will be over to see the difference,

Yes, top chipping varieties but not available unless things have changed recently..A friend of mine Uk Italian used to run a chippy here a few years ago.His family ran an award winning fish and chip shop in the Uk for many years and he said it was very difficult to trade here as couldn't get decent potatoes or fish.gave up in the end and back in Uk now.

The chippy on the lake uses imported China potatoes which are of the floury type (as needed for chips). So they can be sourced easily enough. There is no excuse really. Also, the fish that all of these places call cod is not cod at all but is Tilapia - cheap as chips for them to buy but they do persist on calling it cod and making people pay an import premium for it.

Edited by boldface

Most serve what they term Dory,

Which is in fact pangasius a fesh water shark skin catfish now served as a cheaper and more available and sustainable fish in most farang countries for fish and chips..Comes frozen and unfortunately not dried off properly in most places so is too moist if not actually wet.Properly done it can be ok.

I prefer to make myself, I got the imported cod from foodland, make some batter mushy peas from there as well and potatoes from the market still make ok chips for me

Yes all very well ,but the idea is to have a meal out ,the wife cooks enough ,but i do agree about the potatoes from the market great for baking as well

Edited by i claudius

Seems the owners read TV then. They now do hand cut chips, well at least they do at the KhoaNoi branch that I visited today. So I duly ordered them and when I got them in the car to take home I wished I hadn't. When you smell that burnt sugar smell you know that they are using starchy potatoes rather then floury ones, so I knew I was in for a disappointment. Got them home, and sure enough, starch potatoes and most of them hard in the middle. They have made the cardinal mistake of assuming a local will know that hand cut chips need to be cooked differently to out of the pack frozen ones. They have also changed their sausages they use for jumbo battered sausage - its now a foot long rubber thing where as before they were more along the lines of the more traditionally accepted battered sausage.

• 2 months later...

Seems the owners read TV then. They now do hand cut chips, well at least they do at the KhoaNoi branch that I visited today. So I duly ordered them and when I got them in the car to take home I wished I hadn't. When you smell that burnt sugar smell you know that they are using starchy potatoes rather then floury ones, so I knew I was in for a disappointment. Got them home, and sure enough, starch potatoes and most of them hard in the middle. They have made the cardinal mistake of assuming a local will know that hand cut chips need to be cooked differently to out of the pack frozen ones. They have also changed their sausages they use for jumbo battered sausage - its now a foot long rubber thing where as before they were more along the lines of the more traditionally accepted battered sausage.

Traditional Fish and Chips hardly :o( 3rd time lucky NOPE. Thought I'd give it one more go should have know better

Worst I've ever had from here.

Crinkle Chips frozen from Makro under cooked by the way Medium Portion could count on 2 hands,

Fish was supposed to be medium a lot less than last time I think they mixed the order up and gave me a small piece instead of a medium

put it this way if it was any smaller it could have been a fish finger. Batter was Paper thin very disappointed

again, oh well live and Learn I guess. Last time shame really.

The kind of tucker that fills a hole after a night on the booze. Glad I don't drink anymore ... agree that they need to work on those chips.

You mean you need to be Mau to enjoy their food?

Tried it once and won't be going back again

pie warmed up in a Micro, pastry soft , chips old and obviously been waiting for some customers a long long time.

Never again and from their sign outside I was really looking forward to a good plate of pie and chips

Totally disappointed and after they spent all that money on a great facade, owner must be sick as a chip!

• 1 month later...

Been there done that 5 times know last time got 9 chips on a medium order before,. DONT order small chips very small portions Fish Batter very thin nothing like UK F&C oh and the time before got crinkle chips frozen from Makro. Trying to find the Picture I took will post it later. Best Fish and Chips and Large burgers for value at 160bt is outside Pussy cat Bar Soi Nernplbwan awesome Tasty Fish and larger portion of chips Closed on Mondays

Edited by Rimmer
Fonts

been there this afternoon for the first time.

As I hear no one here likes the frozen fries but the fresh fries they are serving now it would be better to use frozen as they are using the wrong kind of potatoes for sure. Starchy instead of floury potatoes. Also fresh potatoes need to be cooked twice in the oil (once on a lower temp to get them blanched) not like now starchy potatoes in one time in the hot oil trying to get them cooked which results in even more soggy over colored fries with an overly sweet taste due to the starches caramelized.

Fish wasent too bad though some more seasoning would have been good and was a bit overcooked but that can happen to the best.

Portions were very big though actually a bit too big I thought so maybe reduce the price (not cheap I thought 2 people and our bill was 700baht) though again we were both full so 50/50 here) and give a bit smaller portions you would be able to get some Thais in there maybe?

• 2 months later...