19 Cambodian monks arrested, defrocked in Phuket

webfact

19 Cambodian monks arrested, defrocked in Phuket

1417577901_1-org.jpg
The Cambodian monks are examined by Phuket's head monk, Phra Khru Meita.

PHUKET: -- Nineteen Cambodian monks were defrocked and arrested yesterday (December 2) after police found them to be in Thailand illegally and soliciting donations in Wichit.

At 6pm, Muang District Clerk Suthee Sirianan, Phuket Immigration chief Lt Col Tienchai Chompoo, Wichit police, officials from the Phuket Cultural Office and Territorial Defence volunteers were all involved in the arrest of the 19 who had been camped in forest in the Chao Fa Mine areas.

The officials swooped after a call from local residents complaining that the monks had been going around asking for donations from residents and tourists.

Police search three tents and found foreign and Thai cash inside each monk’s bag. Some had around B1,000, others more than B10,000.

Police also found 19 mobile phones, fake passports and monks’ IDs from Cambodia.

They discovered that the monks had been camped in the wood without permission for more than two weeks.

In the morning, they would go out to collect alms and asked for cash donations. Around midday they would come back to their tents where they would eat half of the alms food and then sell the other half back to the food vendors in the market.

The monks were taken to Wat Mongkolnimit for examination by Phuket’s head monk, Phra Khru Meita. After deciding that they had not been following Buddhist monkhood precepts he ordered them defrocked.

All 19 were then taken to Immigration to face charged of being in Thailand illegally.

Phra Khru Meita revealed that this year alone police had arrested more than 100 Cambodian monks had been arrested in Phuket for similar actions.

They would usually come in a big group and set up tents in forest. After they had collected enough money, those who were not arrested would go back to Cambodia.

They could each collect at least a couple of thousand baht a day. The worse part, he said, is that residents and tourists cannot tell them apart from legitimate Thai monks.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/19-cambodian-monks-arrested-defrocked-in-phuket-49949.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-12-03

The worse part, he said, is that residents and tourists cannot tell them apart from legitimate Thai monks.

Maybe some sort of Cards for "Locals & Tourist" to identify the different nationalities of Monks could help giggle.gif

post-155312-0-28235300-1417586233_thumb.

So are they now saying monks need work permits??? In various sutras monks are referred to as "homeless wanderers". What rule did they break other than being from different country? Not sharing with the local temple? Handling money? I am a Buddhist and have not yet shed ability to be angered. This blatant xenophobia should not be part of religious bureaucracy imho.

does a thai chief monk have jurisdiction to defrock cambodian monks?

Very, very good question and one I was wondering myself. I would guess no. But I think what really happened was this. The Thai authorities, ie; police, didn't want to create an across the border scandal, so talked the local Chief monk in declaring the Cambodian monks illegitimate, thus side stepping any blame. If they were really ordained in Cambodia, all they have to do is go back across the border and put their robes back on. Viola. No harm no foul. The police are not to blame, the Chief monk is. whistling.gif

• Like 1

It is difficult to know when to give and when not to. Who is really needy and who is on the take. I think best to only give to people you know from you area and know they are truly needy. And as far as giving to the temples, I wonder what they do for the poor who give so much ?

• Like 1

They could each collect at least a couple of thousand baht a day. The worse part, he said, is that residents and tourists cannot tell them apart from legitimate Thai monks.

Because legitimate Thai monks would never do anything that could taint the Buddhist religion.

Because there is no difference, a monk is a monk, a fish is a fish

"and then sell the other half back to the food vendors in the market"

it is standard procedure in Thai temples to collect the offerings like garlands etc and resell them to the next punter who comes along.

But reselling handfuls of rice? Really?

• Like 1

Because legitimate Thai monks would never do anything that could taint the Buddhist religion.

Because there is no difference, a monk is a monk, a fish is a fish

he was being sarcastic saying "Thai monks would never do anything that could taint the Buddhist religion" because we continually hear about thai monks that are criminals and/or use/sell drugs, have sex, etc etc.

Very, very good question and one I was wondering myself. I would guess no. But I think what really happened was this. The Thai authorities, ie; police, didn't want to create an across the border scandal, so talked the local Chief monk in declaring the Cambodian monks illegitimate, thus side stepping any blame. If they were really ordained in Cambodia, all they have to do is go back across the border and put their robes back on. Viola. No harm no foul. The police are not to blame, the Chief monk is. whistling.gif

didn't thailand proclaim themselvs to be the hub of buddhism thereby becoming the "vatican equivalent" therefore able to defrock or ordain monks headed to/from any country ?

• Like 1

didn't thailand proclaim themselvs to be the hub of buddhism thereby becoming the "vatican equivalent" therefore able to defrock or ordain monks headed to/from any country ?

Kind of.. But just because they proclaim themselves the "Hub" of Buddhism, don't mean they are. The other Buddhist countries really don't pay any attention to them. Sri Lanka also "kind of" holds that same title.

The worse part, he said, is that residents and tourists cannot tell them apart from legitimate Thai monks.

Maybe some sort of Cards for "Locals & Tourist" to identify the different nationalities of Monks could help giggle.gif

attachicon.gifmonk.png

It's very simple, a legitimate monk will not solicit cash donations. That's how the real ones are distinguished from the fraudsters.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifmonk.png

It's very simple, a legitimate monk will not solicit cash donations. That's how the real ones are distinguished from the fraudsters.

That's very true. Legitimate monks don't solicit cash donations. Every once in awhile you will see a pickup truck come down through the soi's with a monk in the back with a bunch of orange buckets soliciting for money. These guys are really frowned upon by most of the temples, but it happens. coffee1.gif

the arrest of these cambodian monks is in accordance with sub clause (a) of the first of the five precepts (pañca-sikkhāpada)(as amended) ,

1(a). I undertake the training rule to abstain from not being a racist

Edited by ghuost
  • Like 1