How to use your iPhone as a Wi-Fi hotspot

thai tech

How to use your iPhone as a Wi-Fi hotspot

Wi-Fi-Hotspot-702x336.jpg

There are times when you need to access the Internet on a laptop but there’s no public Wi-Fi, or perhaps when your home connection isn’t working (which occurs all too frequently in Thailand).

For anyone that has a data plan for their smartphone (for example on DTAC, AIS or True), a convenient alternative is to simply use your phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot and share your mobile phone’s Internet connection.

If you pay for 3G data, you can typically expect to see around 10 – 15 Mbps speeds, but this obviously depends on your location and the cellular network you are using.

Almost every smartphone these days allows you to create a Wi-Fi hotspot that can be used by other devices such as computers, phones and tablets to get online. If you have an Apple iPhone, the feature is extremely simple to setup and use – Apple calls it ‘Personal Hotspot’ but it’s exactly the same thing.

Read more: http://tech.thaivisa.com/how-to-use-iphone-as-a-wi-fi-hotspot/

thaitech_logo.jpg
-- Tech News by Thaivisa 2014-12-03

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with you on DTAC. In both Bangkok and now in Chiang Mai, I consistently get 4G with great internet speed. I was a long-time user of AIS and ditched it because of their incredibly slow data speed. In high-use areas such as the airport and places like Asoke during rush hour, I was frequently unable to even check email. That was about a year ago, so things may have gotten better now. The hotspot implementation on iOS 8 is incredibly fast and simple to use now.

Another nice use for hotspots is hotels which have slow connections or spotty wifi. With a few exceptions, my DTAC 4G hotspot is almost always faster than in-house wifi connections. Let's just hope that the Thai carriers do not begin disabling phone's hotspot feature as they have on some carriers in Europe and North America.

You can set up a personal hotspot using either wifi or bluetooth. Wifi is a bit faster, but less stable and uses more power than bluetooth.

Here's a very good detailed comparison between the two methods. (scroll down for the wifi vs bluetooth comparison):

http://www.guidingtech.com/18032/bluetooth-or-wi-fi-best-way-iphone-wireless-hotspot/

PS. A heads up if you need Internet and want to stay at the Baiyoke Sky Hotel. You'll get a very weak 3G signal on the high levels, not strong enough for a good hotspot connection. This was with DTac, but I'm assuming it would the same with other networks.

Edited by tropo

You can set up a personal hotspot using either wifi or bluetooth. Wifi is a bit faster, but less stable and uses more power than bluetooth.

Here's a very good detailed comparison between the two methods. (scroll down for the wifi vs bluetooth comparison):

http://www.guidingtech.com/18032/bluetooth-or-wi-fi-best-way-iphone-wireless-hotspot/

PS. A heads up if you need Internet and want to stay at the Baiyoke Sky Hotel. You'll get a very weak 3G signal on the high levels, not strong enough for a good hotspot connection. This was with DTac, but I'm assuming it would the same with other networks.

Thank you for that link. am additional info,

Youtube is also a good sourse of how to videos, here is one on how to use your IPhone as a wifi hot spot, if you dont like this video do a search, there are are many

[media]

[media]