New to Thailand ... One advice ... what would that be?

David48

Do not invest in anything, financially or emotionally that you could not happily walk away from, many a bank account, spirit and heart broken in Los

Golden advice given to me when I first arrived in Los by an old friend

My advice is to always have a roll of toilet paper in the car on road trips

Edited by pitchag
  • Like 1

Dress appropriately to the areas where you live, don`t stand out as the sloppy farang by wearing a wife beater vest, unkempt hair, loud tee-shirts, shorts and flip flops that many Thais consider as disrespecting their culture.

I had never heard the term "wife beater vest" before and was going to ask you what this was.

I decided to google the term and now understand that this is slang for a tank top t-shirt.

Beforehand, I was imagining it was a vinyl coated vest with a blotchy camouflage pattern that hid blood stains well and could be easily cleaned up afterwards with just a sponge and some soapy water. smile.png

(I hope no one is offended by this attempt at humor or interprets this as condoning violence against women - - because it's not intended in that way at all!)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Leave your stress levels to the arrival immigration queue, and relax - everything will happen, just not at the same efficiency and/or speed as in the western countries, so just go with the flow and you'll be a lot happier. wai.gif

Edited by jabis
  • Like 1

Ignore life advice from old dinosaurs who moved to Thailand just so they could be closer to the brothel and now spend their lives moaning because the red carpet they were promised never materialised.

Thais have finally realized that most of the dried up jokers here are complete zeros and treat them accordingly. It's a pleasure to see them cut down to size

Take whatever someone who claims to be happily married with kids yet spends every waking moment on the Thaivisa forum says with an enormous pinch of salt.

Edited by Cypress Hill
  • Like 1

Ignore life advice from old dinosaurs who moved to Thailand just so they could be closer to the brothel and now spend their lives moaning because the red carpet they were promised never materialised.

Thais have finally realized that most of the dried up jokers here are complete zeros and treat them accordingly. It's a pleasure to see them cut down to size

Take whatever someone who claims to be happily married with kids yet spends every waking moment on the Thaivisa forum says with an enormous pinch of salt.

Ah CH see your fixation with old men is still going strong, got a new sugar daddy yet, you really have some envy issues haven't you, your not one of Rolf Harris' chosen are you ?

Aww, poor SP.

Guess there was truth in there as far as your personal situation is concerned, eh?

Maybe you should use the new year to come up with some new playground digs. "ALBC" and bad taste references to Rolf Harris victims have worn a bit thin . . . a bit like your dwindling income.

I wonder if pumping petrol at a filling station pays as much as pumping it from a well.laugh.png

Roll on $30 oil.

Aww, poor SP.

Guess there was truth in there as far as your personal situation is concerned, eh?

Maybe you should use the new year to come up with some new playground digs. "ALBC" and bad taste references to Rolf Harris victims have worn a bit thin . . . a bit like your dwindling income.

I wonder if pumping petrol at a filling station pays as much as pumping it from a well.laugh.png

Roll on $30 oil.

My income or my job security hasn't changed in the least dear boy due the current oil prices

but thanks for showing concern its always nice to see the less fortunate, mentally challenged showing concern for other people's circumstances and allow me to extend the same by hoping the price of mamma noodles and cost of your visa runs doesn't increase too much in 2015

;)

• Like 1

dont try to cross sukhumvit road by foot, use the footbridges- i seen a foriegner try to run across askoe/sukhumvit intersection yesterday i stopped wat i was doing and waited for the outcome. Dont ride a motorcycle even if you are a skilled rider, you dont know the traffic. Dont show the soles of your feet or raise your voice in public. Dont start a fight with a thai, i know a songtheaw driver that was a muay thai kickboxer for 30 years before he retired.

Dont bring a ladyboy back to your room, dont fall for a bargirl/massage/karaoke/disco girl freelance pro. And if you do don't send them money when you get back home. Dont do drugs or party with people who do drugs.

Have some respect, enjoy your stay

All good advice. I saw a Thai guy cross the road near Asoke where they switch directions at different times of the day. He was lucky the car was going slow. He bounced off the windscreen and over the top. He limped to the sidwalk.

Also cars dont stop for people at Zebra crossings.

Asoke crossing.avi

dont try to cross sukhumvit road by foot, use the footbridges- i seen a foriegner try to run across askoe/sukhumvit intersection yesterday i stopped wat i was doing and waited for the outcome. Dont ride a motorcycle even if you are a skilled rider, you dont know the traffic. Dont show the soles of your feet or raise your voice in public. Dont start a fight with a thai, i know a songtheaw driver that was a muay thai kickboxer for 30 years before he retired.

Dont bring a ladyboy back to your room, dont fall for a bargirl/massage/karaoke/disco girl freelance pro. And if you do don't send them money when you get back home. Dont do drugs or party with people who do drugs.

All good advice. I saw a Thai guy cross the road near Asoke where they switch directions at different times of the day. He was lucky the car was going slow. He bounced off the windscreen and over the top. He limped to the sidwalk.

attachicon.gifAsoke crossing.avi

???

???

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/112367873157735840877/albums/6100007470135499809/6100007474915364786?pid=6100007474915364786&oid=112367873157735840877

(try this as embedded)

Edited by Lex Talionis

???

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/112367873157735840877/albums/6100007470135499809/6100007474915364786?pid=6100007474915364786&oid=112367873157735840877

(try this as embedded)

I watched the video. Not sure what the point of posting is?